Christmas shopping idea - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 11-10-2019, 04:16 PM

Default Christmas shopping idea

Advertise Here

I've tossed this idea around for a couple of years. Hopefully I can do it this time around. It starts with buying a decently stout and manageably large plastic bin with lid (two bins if you can manage it), like used for storage. Now you're off to do some shopping at a big box store like Costco.

Let me preface this by saying I know this shopping list isn't ideal so each of us would need to figure out what makes the most sense for our situations.

Buy the basics you would use in your home, like oatmeal, soups, macaroni & cheese, pasta, flour, sugar, baking soda, soaps, toilet paper, basic medicines, razors, antibacterial and antibiotic sprays, a basic first aid kit (note that you should know how to use it too!), protein drink powder, bottled water, batteries, flashlights, plastic utensils, plastic food wrap, aluminum foil, chlorine bleach, even some plastic food storage containers for leftovers, drinking cups, candy, liquor, etc. Buy with some thought about fitting it all the time-dated perishables into one bin. Maybe you stop off at a Home Depot or Lowes-type store for some duct tape, rope, twine, a tarp or two, etc. And off to a Walmart or electronics store for a good, basic radio, maybe one that will work by cranking. Walk the aisles to see what else you feel is lacking in your preps.

OK, you get home and you've packed all the perishable foods in one big bin. Everything is dated beyond 2020. And other items are packed in other bins. Now stack them all where they're accessible but relatively out of the way. Cool, dark place. If you need to bug out (like a fire, flood, hurricane, etc.), grab the bin(s) and family on your way out the door. (I'd suggest a good stock of fuel for your chosen vehicle, the full fuel container stored in the garage or such. Rotate that fuel a few times through the year in your vehicle.)

In the event of an emergency, you have enough to last a typical family for more than a few days. Hopefully you won't need to use it at all. When this time of year rolls around in 2020, take that bin and donate the contents to a local charity or homeless shelter kitchen, some place that is likely to use up everything well before the expirations. And you go out to replace those contents in your next shopping trip.

The result is that you've done a decent job prepping with fresh foods to cover your family in the basic emergency, plus you're supporting those less fortunate as the holidays arrive. Maybe you can donate more, but if not, at least you're doing something.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rivers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 04:49 PM
The Hawks Nest

Thanked 22,822 Times in 8,213 Posts

These kind of ideas come up quit often on here but it never hurts for it to be stated again.

"A terrorist is only as strong as the fear he creates."

"Things you own end up owning you"
- Tyler Durban
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawk55732 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 05:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 59,352 Times in 19,241 Posts

I prefer to use my preps and save money vs toss them and waste money.

It's really simple:

First in first out.

I have 2 more rolls of TP to go until I 'need to' buy another pack.
It's just rather than running out of TP I'll just be down 1 pack in storage.

don't over think it, or put stuff back and forget about it, thinking that your good just to find that the mice got to it or whatever.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2019, 05:30 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 10,305 Times in 3,726 Posts

Donating to those less fortunate is a nice gesture and appreciated around the Holidays. However if money is tight then simply put the items into your pantry and use for your family.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
I prefer to use my preps and save money vs toss them and waste money.

It's really simple:

First in first out.

I have 2 more rolls of TP to go until I 'need to' buy another pack.
It's just rather than running out of TP I'll just be down 1 pack in storage.

don't over think it, or put stuff back and forget about it, thinking that your good just to find that the mice got to it or whatever.
I was referring to the perishable preps, like bulk foods that were purchased a year earlier. I agree though that TP is definitely not expendable! I'll keep extra rolls in my vehicles too. Never know what emergency you might come across and it's better to be prepared, especially when TP doesn't have an expiration date.

The donation to charity has the advantage of being a tax deduction too. You stay well prepared and rotate to fresh bulk food buys, and the charity gets much needed foods that are still within their freshness lifetime. A win-win.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rivers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 06:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,925 Times in 2,180 Posts

Good for you.
I do not like keeping liquids in a bin with other supplies, especially bleach. Bleach really needs to be rotated, i try to use it up withinv6 months.
I really don't like gasoline in an attached garage, even if there is a fire wall. Preferably gas goes in a separate shed and where it won't tip or get squashed.
Bottled water hasn't worked for me. I would get some barrels from craigslist and rotate water. Make sure they are anchored, your water heater,too. And get sawyer water filters. Likely to go on sale over black friday on amazon.
The Following User Says Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 05:23 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 56,120 Times in 19,478 Posts

Like most preppers that try to keep up to date gear and try new ideas out, then you likely have a dump bin for last gen or decent stuff that didn't meet the grade of what you already have.

You know the stuff is decent but it keeps piling up.

Just buy a new bin or two and store it for a while. Once a year dig into it and see if you can make most of a BOB, GHB, or house emergency gear tote.

Go buy the small remainder needed to complete a kit and pack/tote to put it in.

Then go find the right family or friend to gift a complete gear kit to.

If they look at you strange you say the local weather worries you enough that you want to give them a head start.

Tell them to stuff it in a closet.

Now you are both caching and potentially helping them. That kit becomes a fallback for you too, if their place survives fine. Disaster is a fickle thing. Or they can use it to help get to you. It's a potential resource for you both. You also make a cache site with no hiding or digging and create a mini fallback BOL.

And your dump bin and closets get emptier.

Don't drill down the idea too hard. Just see what you see every year in the bin. Be flexible in kit ideas. What you don't have to do is pitch out decent last gen gear just so you you can keep the packrat pile down. It's still available to you a little further away.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 09:48 PM
VIP Member

Voluntarily giving to charity is a nice gesture and makes you feel good.

I'd add a small stash of cash in the bin just in case your wallet is low, say $100-$200.
Giving this to charity too..... maybe.... it's your decision.

Merry pre-Christmas Rivers.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:20 AM

It’s a great idea
Old 11-18-2019, 09:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,776 Times in 2,047 Posts

I use 5 gallon buckets and gamma lids. they are rodent resistant and limit moisture. Date everything that goes inside. Rotate stuff. I have a small stash at the cabin and the garage is well supplied. always date stuff.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:34 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,127 Posts

I believe in storing what I eat and rotating my stores I am also not financially well off so your idea doesnt work for me.

Although I will admit that having large stores and rotating requires a lifestyle many can't or dont want to live. For those people your idea may have some merit. You could probably fit one months worth of food(for a single person) in a tote. I would have an issue buying that much food that I dont intend to eat though.