Holy crap i fired my handgun - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 11-13-2019, 09:56 AM
Psalm 37:28

Thanked 1,136 Times in 357 Posts

Advertise Here

I should have been clearer, I suppose. Was thinking of my rifle, where the chamber is closer to my face.

But still.... 36,000 PSI...55,000 PSI... Either one would hurt your face
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2019, 10:05 AM
Hunter

Thanked 4,827 Times in 1,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizendino View Post
So, man, guns are amazing machines. Holy balls.
Tonight we spent time dissasembling the hand gun. And discussing all the pieces.
And then he talked about bullets, and I got to see what goes into them.

I remember in 9th grade shop class, one of the units was tearing apart a lawn mower engine. This was a lot like that.
Be aware, breathing gun smoke and lead fumes along with experiencing the adrenaline rush of shooting can have an effect on your brain processes.
Prolonged exposure may cause your thinking to change to a much more conservative outlook.
Good on ya for taking an interest and taking the smart approach on getting yourself detailed and safe training!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ~Black.Dog~ For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 10:30 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,932 Times in 2,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surviving Suburbia View Post
I should have been clearer, I suppose. Was thinking of my rifle, where the chamber is closer to my face.

But still.... 36,000 PSI...55,000 PSI... Either one would hurt your face
Agreed. I used to think about that kind of stuff but I've fired over 100k rounds at this point in my life and no longer think about it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2019, 05:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,574 Times in 7,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin94 View Post
Agreed. I used to think about that kind of stuff but I've fired over 100k rounds at this point in my life and no longer think about it.
Had a kaboom in an AR doing load development, went from very slight signs of over pressure to boom in .2 grains. It destroyed a mag, and broke an extractor. Had to take the barrel off to get the BCG to move, had brass jammed and stopping the bolt from rotating.

Did nothing to me, the chamber, the lower, the upper...so yeah...it's not a thing I worry about either. You wear eye and ear pro, and do things right.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:13 PM
Psalm 37:28

Thanked 1,136 Times in 357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
Had a kaboom in an AR doing load development, went from very slight signs of over pressure to boom in .2 grains. It destroyed a mag, and broke an extractor. Had to take the barrel off to get the BCG to move, had brass jammed and stopping the bolt from rotating.

Did nothing to me, the chamber, the lower, the upper...so yeah...it's not a thing I worry about either. You wear eye and ear pro, and do things right.
I mean, I don't actually WORRY about it. But 55,000 PSI is an amazing amount of pressure being contained by a little tube whose walls are less than 1/2" thick. But of course the path of least resistance is just to push the bullet down the tube, so it's no biggie.

I guess the real danger would be a squib, assuming that it went unnoticed. I've never had one, though.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:38 PM
Just a Dumb Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coach View Post
Let's agree to disagree. This isn't the place to relitigate that issue.

I do agree to learning in a .22. Daughter #1 started with a Sig Mosquito. Gave her lots and lots of practice at clearing jams, but it didn't lumber her with recoil while learning sight picture and trigger control.

I started her mother on a Ruger Mk. II. Big mistake. At our age arthritis makes racking even that slide too difficult for her, not to mention filling magazines, so she never practiced. Her trainer sold her on a Springfield XDS. Same problem. Still looking for a nice Model 63 Smith for her.
Old Coach
Check out the S&W EZ380
I got my wife one and she can rack it and load it herself
The Following User Says Thank You to SkyKid For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2019, 08:41 PM

After 50+ years of shooting; mainly handguns, I no longer shoot my S&W .44 due to pain after not many rounds...serious handgun but not any more fun to shoot. My concern currently is my inability to shoot my Ruger 10-22 in a standing position. I love to shoot - the OP is in the right forum to get his questions answered.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:56 PM
Militant Normal

Thanked 19,111 Times in 6,514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneitall View Post
After 50+ years of shooting; mainly handguns, I no longer shoot my S&W .44 due to pain after not many rounds...serious handgun but not any more fun to shoot. My concern currently is my inability to shoot my Ruger 10-22 in a standing position. I love to shoot - the OP is in the right forum to get his questions answered.
Back pain? That's where I am. Can't stand up without support for more than 2-3 minutes at a time. Spinal stenosis.

Steel: Interesting to track the development of firearms from Civil War to WW2, and correlate it to the development of steel manufacture. Civil War guns were essentially wrought iron, because real steel was difficult and expensive to make, and quality was uncertain at best. The only steel in a Civil War revolver was in the springs. Then in the 1870s the Bessemer process reduced the cost tremendously, introducing an era of cheap steel, which in turn made the development of alloys worthwhile. Better instrumentation took heat treating from an art to a science around 1910. We've really only had modern steels for 120 years or so, and it has revolutionized everything. Buildings, transportation, machine tools, medicine, food processing, firearms . . . . everything.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2019, 09:11 PM

Have fun and shoot as often as you can.

AK mentioned the cheapest and easy way to improve on the previous page. Practice dry firing. Practice your draw, sight alignment and trigger control dry firing. Standing in front of a mirror or kicked back on a recliner with an empty case over the front sight will help you improve faster than live fire.

Take a friend, or introduce a kid to your new hobby.

Just be safe, stay safe and have fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gutdoc For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 12:18 AM

That was a lot of stuff to look up.
Thanks guys.

As far as dry firing, or introducing someone to shooting a gun, nope. I am learning. I do what I am told. And nothing more than I am told.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:51 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 4,067 Times in 1,896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizendino;19!82158
That was a lot of stuff to look up.
Thanks guys.

As far as dry firing, or introducing someone to shooting a gun, nope. I am learning. I do what I am told. And nothing more than I am told.
Ask your instructor about safely dry firing. It's an essential part of learning to shoot.

Keep enjoying yourself!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HappyinID For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2019, 01:58 AM

Great you will be there in no time practice and do some exercise
Old 11-22-2019, 01:00 PM
old gunsel

I’m wondering if the soreness and pain is coming from locking the elbows and stiff arming the firearm... I learned, and have passed on, a more bent arm technique that allows things to move a little with recoil. On the other hand, even that would be an unfamiliar movement and may lead to some discomfort.

Ross Seyfried (spellink?) said he used to shoot until his hands were bloody, and was told that “after time your hands will toughen up.” That was after he’d been shooting for years. Maybe muscle soreness is the same...

Anyway, like they say on the roller coaster, “keep your hands in and have fun!”
Old 11-23-2019, 10:33 AM
Ultranationalist

Thanked 46,892 Times in 9,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizendino View Post
1. I am far too scared for this to be a stress release. Sort of like 14 year old driving dads car. I know its cool, but I also know I have no idea what I was doing.
2. My instructor has me doing lots of exersizes for everything. I was low. I was also high, and left and right. And I even hit the target a few times, at which I whoo'd like Ric Flair.
Right now youíre like a 14 year old driving your dadís car. Keep shooting and youíll feel like the 35 year old guy who drives by muscle memory.