Next Spring its all about Planting Trees - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 11-16-2019, 07:18 AM
VIP Member

Advertise Here

I like NO PROBLEMS fruit: JuJube, One of the easiest to grow fruits... https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/...sheets/jujube/ We sampled many different one's at Powell Gardens East of Kansas City this fall, some are good for fresh eating, some only for drying / cooking. We just panted both.

If the wife really likes them, you may consider a Zone 6 hardy (FEW) Pommagranet for outdoors...
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobertSWMissouri For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 08:41 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,988 Times in 9,792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSWMissouri View Post
I like NO PROBLEMS fruit: JuJube, One of the easiest to grow fruits... https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/...sheets/jujube/ We sampled many different one's at Powell Gardens East of Kansas City this fall, some are good for fresh eating, some only for drying / cooking. We just panted both.

If the wife really likes them, you may consider a Zone 6 hardy (FEW) Pommagranet for outdoors...
My wife love Pommes, and we grew them in the desert. I had planned to grow several dwarf pommes in a greenhouse, because I do not know how cold hardy a zone 6 really is.

My area is rated either zone 7 or zone 6b, depending on the map. But we have gotten below zero temps before.

Another good question to ask the ag extension agent.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 03:36 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,033 Times in 944 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

as your looking /planning don't forget micro climates, where it might not make it exposed to everything a south side of a building could make it easy to keep it a zone warmer

I planted butter nuts here in northern Minnesota, a good two zones out of its range, the ones close to and south of spruce trees have grown bigger by not having the tree exposed to the winter as much

as a cheaper way to get apples plant the seeds out of any apple you can get ,the chances of getting a good eating apple I read at one time was 1 in 100,but in all honesty it don't matter , even the smallest most tart apple out there will be devoured by animals of some sort from deer to pigs[a crop to fatten pigs on or draw game], and any you can use for jellies or if a bit bigger/sweeter you can make cider
The Following User Says Thank You to wilderness bushman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 06:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,378 Times in 1,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness bushman View Post
as your looking /planning don't forget micro climates, where it might not make it exposed to everything a south side of a building could make it easy to keep it a zone warmer

I planted butter nuts here in northern Minnesota, a good two zones out of its range, the ones close to and south of spruce trees have grown bigger by not having the tree exposed to the winter as much

as a cheaper way to get apples plant the seeds out of any apple you can get ,the chances of getting a good eating apple I read at one time was 1 in 100,but in all honesty it don't matter , even the smallest most tart apple out there will be devoured by animals of some sort from deer to pigs[a crop to fatten pigs on or draw game], and any you can use for jellies or if a bit bigger/sweeter you can make cider
About planting apples for animals. If you are setting up a food plot yes go for feeding the animals. Cider apples generally used to be planted from seed. I do not know if the seeds from modern apples work well for that. Cider apples is what johnyapple seed was planting as a business and there could be an occasional decent apple that might come out of the bunch as you describe.
My suggestion is go ahead plant the seeds and then graft the seedlings that come up with something that is a good apple.
The Following User Says Thank You to barnetmill For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 09:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 59,370 Times in 19,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
My wife love Pommes, and we grew them in the desert. I had planned to grow several dwarf pommes in a greenhouse, because I do not know how cold hardy a zone 6 really is.

My area is rated either zone 7 or zone 6b, depending on the map. But we have gotten below zero temps before.

Another good question to ask the ag extension agent.
I have a friend down there with pomegranates. They will survive and produce.

I finally got a start and will see if they survive up here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post: