Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 11-11-2019, 03:20 AM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 31,566 Times in 9,117 Posts
Default Gluten Withdrawal/Detox

Advertise Here

Following up on the Celiac,Disease, Non Celiac Gluten Sensitivity and Wheat Allergy Thread which I will link below is what happens when you start to take gluten out of your diet. You start going through withdrawals. Some people react differently, some hardly have any symptoms and some have very unpleasant ones. I happen to be 1 of the unfortunate ones who's symptoms can be severe.

"Consumption of gluten triggers production of exorphins, which are opiate chemicals with similar results as endorphins—promoting feelings of calm. Pamela Compart and Dana Laake explain how in some people, gluten and/or casein can mimic opiates, such as morphine and heroin. When these foods are removed, intense cravings and even drug withdrawal-like symptoms can result. According to Julia Ross in the "Diet Cure," "going without one or more of the big-three allergy foods could land you in an unbearable withdrawal state, causing your body to start screaming like any addict's body does without its drugs…Even one allergy-addiction can easily become a nightmare of cravings, overeating, weight gain, mood swings, and guilt."

https://www.livestrong.com/article/3...en-free-detox/

Here is the link to the first thread I did for Celiac Disease, Non Celiac Gluten Sensitivity and Wheat Allergy.

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...d.php?t=930462

Symptoms of Gluten withdrawal can be anger, anxiety, bloating, brain fog, constipation, cravings, depression, diarrhea, dizziness, fatigue, flu like symptoms, headaches, irritability, joint pain, lightheadednes, mood swings, nausea, stomach aches, vomiting and weight changes.

https://mentalhealthdaily.com/2015/0...-do-they-last/
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 07:14 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 7,101 Times in 2,231 Posts

Years ago my wife was having seriously painful digestive issues.
Had every test under the sun
No hope in sight
Her sister sent a newspaper article about Celiac disease
Sure enough
She had it full blown
Not just an intolerance
Really an auto-immune disorder
I am essentilly gluten free as well
Most doctors say no need for everyone to go gluten free
I am not so sure
Sub-optimal gut health
Try gluten free and see if it works for you

Last edited by Jack Swilling; 11-11-2019 at 10:26 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 08:44 AM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

LOL, Jack, why do you think I posted all that?

I've done it twice in my life. The first time back in 1979 and I didn't know about gluten. I am now doing it again for the 3rd time.

I was 14 and I weighed 200 lbs at that time, got down to 135 by the time I was 17.

Then got married and had a bad marriage and started eating whatever to deal with it. It wasn't until I left and went to driving truck that I was able to get a handle on it.

Second time, I weighed 235, got down to 160, That's the before and after pics I have posted, Took 4 years to do it and stayed that way until I got sick and went into a depression started eating everything in sight because I was told I would never be able to work again and that what I had was incurable. Was trying to come out of it when the Old Goat got sick then up and died on me. Which made it even worse.

8 months ago I finally started trying to do it again. I weighed myself and found out I was back up to 213. I am down to 185 as of this morning but I can't seem to totally kick it into gear and go all the way like I used to but i'm trying.

But now I know it causes the depression and I know to watch out for the triggers, it just seems to be a bit harder with not having the energy to do what I need to do. But i'm getting there.

I decided to start posting this info in hopes it might help others who may have the same problems and not know it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Me at 235.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	293886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Me.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	293888  
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2019, 10:31 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 7,101 Times in 2,231 Posts

"LOL, Jack, why do you think I posted all that?"

Was just posting my anecdotal experience
Since I agree with your O/P
Just thread participation
No intention of drift so I apologize for my post
Old 11-11-2019, 11:26 AM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Swilling View Post
"LOL, Jack, why do you think I posted all that?"

Was just posting my anecdotal experience
Since I agree with your O/P
Just thread participation
No intention of drift so I apologize for my post
No need to apologize, i'm the 1 who should be apologizing for misreading your post. I misunderstood. I hate when that happens.