Wet tumbling brass: Lemi-Shine vs. Citric Acid - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 11-05-2019, 10:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,046 Times in 1,893 Posts
Default Wet tumbling brass: Lemi-Shine vs. Citric Acid

Advertise Here

My local Wal Marts no longer carry Lemi-Shine. So I bought some Citric Acid. Without some sort of scientific equipment, I can't tell the difference AND they taste the same. Since I only claim clean brass for sale, I'm happy. BUT is there anything better?
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2019, 10:43 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,804 Times in 9,045 Posts

I hope your are joking about "taste the same". I don't polish my brass. Some chemicals eat at the metals and some abrasives in-bead in it and wear the sizing die and or chamber.

Vitamin C ought to be safe enough.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:14 PM
Originalist

Thanked 1,450 Times in 593 Posts
Default Wet tumbling brass: Lemi-Shine vs. Citric Acid

Yeah, citric acid works great for shining up the brass. Basically the active ingredient in Lemishine. It doesnít take much either. Also works great for canning salsa (if you have the food grade).

As for eating away the metal, yes it removes a microscopic layer of brass, but so does tumbling in abrasives. I only load my bottleneck brass 5 times generally so a few microns here or there wonít make a difference. The stuff I carefully headspace by bump-sizing is a little different since it doesnít stretch much so I can get more loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2019, 09:13 PM
Militant Normal

Thanked 19,060 Times in 6,494 Posts

Lemi-Shine is just citric acid in an expensive package with fragrance.

http://www.chemistry-blog.com/2012/0...in-lemi-shine/

The old-time black powder guys used to use vinegar.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:48 AM
Survivor

Initially I tried all sorts of methods and ingredients. Then a neighbor showed me what wet tumbling could do and I never looked back. ANY detergent and apparently Pure Citric Acid works just fine. There are some Citric Acid products that have additives. And yes, they tasted the same.

As I sell brass online, every piece must be inspected. Clean brass is a much more effective way to do so. And except for a few early attempts, I never tumble with pins.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:03 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,123 Times in 977 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve marshall View Post
...As I sell brass online, every piece must be inspected. Clean brass is a much more effective way to do so. And except for a few early attempts, I never tumble with pins.
If you & your customers are happy with the results, donít change a thing.

I use the little egg shaped pins bought from Southern Shine Tumblers. Cuts down tumble time & cleans primer pockets nicely.

My tumble is: Tap water, a little Lemi Shine/citric acid (like less than half a teaspoon), a little dawn dish soap (like a 9mm case or 2).

Tumble about an hour. Sometimes less, sometimes more. Doesnít really matter if more, as Iím doing something else.

Rinse and tumble about 5 minutes. Rinse and add a touch of car wash wax, like a 1/4 capful. Tumble 5. Drain, spin in brass separator bin thingy to get almost all the pins out (handy). Flick out any that the bin didnít get. Dry in oven. Bag.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:21 PM
Militant Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve marshall View Post
Initially I tried all sorts of methods and ingredients. Then a neighbor showed me what wet tumbling could do and I never looked back. ANY detergent and apparently Pure Citric Acid works just fine. There are some Citric Acid products that have additives. And yes, they tasted the same.

As I sell brass online, every piece must be inspected. Clean brass is a much more effective way to do so. And except for a few early attempts, I never tumble with pins.
With no pins, I would expect that the primer pockets and the interior would not get very clean, if they get cleaned at all.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:04 PM
Survivor

Without pins, case interior and primer pockets are reasonably clean just not shiny. The only reason to clean primer pockets is to take out residue so primers can fully seat, likely a holdover from blackpowder and mercuric primers. Clean primer pockets are way overstated.
It's only recent that anyone thought that case interiors should be "clean". There are even those who argue that clean necks increases case tension variables. Clean case interiors are waaaay overstated.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:18 PM
Militant Normal

Cleaning case interiors has been a "thing" since black powder days. More so then than now, though.

And speaking as an emeritus engineer who had to know a little bit of tribology, I can't follow how not cleaning the neck would improve bullet pull consistency.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:12 AM
Survivor

There's a big difference in "cleaning" vs. "shiny". It's only in recent years where shiny clean was deemed important. The thought process on shiny clean necks, something I obviously don't ascribe to, is that the "dirty" necks even out the imperfections in the brass. Step back from the trees to see the forest - Benchrest shooters often reload during a match. These shooters are persnickety in all facets of their sport. If shiny clean necks would give advantage they'd find a way. If memory serves, the 100 yard World Record is .009" almost certainly fired with "dirty" necks.

Cleaning blackpowder cases is to halt the corrosive effects.