Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's your favorite non-prep prep item? Alore Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 52 02-18-2019 10:16 PM
new to prep..think i live in a prep nightmare! itwprp11 New Member Introduction 34 01-08-2019 11:39 PM
How much to prep, and for which scenarios to prep? BMassBMore Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 36 08-27-2015 09:20 AM
When do your kids go from prep liability to prep asset? Jack1228 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 47 08-14-2015 12:00 AM
Never know where a prep will come from Clrk82 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 07-31-2014 09:04 PM
My Church Is Ready To Prep. What Do We Prep? Doginit Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 61 01-10-2014 06:28 AM
PRINTER as a prep idea (Cheap Prep $$$) MikeV1234 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 10-25-2013 12:28 AM
Do YOU wonder WHY to prep?.. SB's and Prep'n Saved Me!!! Sprig Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 18 10-12-2012 10:13 AM
Don't Just Prep Disasters - Prep Break In's coboblack Urban Survival 31 07-28-2012 07:52 AM
Prep to maintain standard of living or prep to survive? JohnWStiner Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 15 01-28-2011 04:50 AM

Old 09-26-2016, 08:02 PM

Advertise Here

Thanks for your input, that's why I think bugging in is the correct option for Manhattan unless it's really hits the fan.
Just being aware of the pitfalls and hazards allows for proper planning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2016, 12:19 AM

You "can't" prep in New York State? Here in Central New York's finger lakes region we grow all sorts of agriculture with our fine soil and plentiful water. It is wine country after all. Grapes anyone? And as for it being cold in the winter, I feel pretty toasty here with my propane fueled forced air and my wood stove with a 16 acre wood lot. And as for population density, well, we are a full hour South of Rochester with a very low population density and great student/teacher ratio. Even the neighbor's are nice. No complaints here other than I wish I could stay.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WKS For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2016, 12:39 AM
Prepared

We're also in the Finger Lakes.
We're in good shape here.
New York laws are problematic but we cope.

Most if not all open source nuclear targeting maps are bogus.
Use your head and don't get distracted.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kmussack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2016, 04:34 AM

I am in the city...i have bug out bag, canned food, flashlights, batteries of various sorts, n95 masks, utility cutting tools, camera for logging visual data.

the whole approach is about getting out rather than staying in in case of SHTF

regarding self-defense..ny laws are the worst...u cant even own a pepper spray or a small pocket knife.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:55 PM

Live in lower Catskills mountains of NY state. 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive if weather and traffic
are good. Bad weather or heavy traffic can turn into half a day. Live on a lake surrounded by heavily wooded 1500 acres. Likeminded neighbors all know each other and armed. Unlimited amount of water and firewood. Not located along any major highways. But still......only a few hours north west of the zoo.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dabprod For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2017, 06:55 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

I grew up about 30 minutes south of Utice, NY. Prepping there is very doable. My dad grew up on a dairy farm with very little money. They had a large garden. Canned a lot of what they raised. Chickens supplied the eggs and some meat. They got their milk from the barn. Cut wood for the winter. Unlike a lot of places out west, you don't have to worry about watering the garden. It rains plenty up there. Also, fishing was pretty good when I was a kid fishing the Unadilla river. Plenty of small game in the woods. Plenty of whitetail deer as well. Our house didn't have a well. It had a spring. Always had water unless it was a unusually dry summer. I would say upstate NY would be a pretty good place to prep.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Rate For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 11:28 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Rate View Post
I grew up about 30 minutes south of Utice, NY. Prepping there is very doable. My dad grew up on a dairy farm with very little money. They had a large garden. Canned a lot of what they raised. Chickens supplied the eggs and some meat. They got their milk from the barn. Cut wood for the winter. Unlike a lot of places out west, you don't have to worry about watering the garden. It rains plenty up there. Also, fishing was pretty good when I was a kid fishing the Unadilla river. Plenty of small game in the woods. Plenty of whitetail deer as well. Our house didn't have a well. It had a spring. Always had water unless it was a unusually dry summer. I would say upstate NY would be a pretty good place to prep.
The cold can be bad, but it can also be a blessing because it is a natural barrier. It keeps bad people from roaming around especially when there is knee high snow ad low temepratures they will freeze.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Capfan85 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 03:43 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote:
I grew up about 30 minutes south of Utice, NY.

Correction, I meant to type "Utica, NY"
Old 08-12-2017, 08:58 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Correction, I meant to type "Utica, NY"
Thats not a bad area from a survival standpoint. I am 60 miles north of NY and not far from a major nuclear plant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2randa View Post
hunting and fishing in my area is superb plus my canned food I'd be good for a year at least before I might worry a little

Sent from my Z955A using Tapatalk
I too am in the CNY area. I'd be hesitant to eat much in the way of local fish. Most of the lakes and streams here were poisoned by industry--lead, mercury, etc.-- 100 years ago. The problem is that time does not solve these issues. NY state recommends eating only ONE fish (caught in areas like Onondaga, Madison, Cortland and nearby counties) *per month* if you are a healthy adult. If you are elderly, in poor health, pregnant or lactating, the state warns not to eat ANY fish caught here.

Onondaga Lake earned the title of "most polluted lake in America" and it was a "dead lake" for a loooong time. It was so hazardous that swimming was forbidden by 1940 and fishing was prohibited by the 70s. The problem is that it's not JUST Onondaga Lake-- all the local waterways were treated like a big dumping ground. "Got hazardous waste? Chuck it in the waterways!" seems to have been the mentality.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RottieMom For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 11:36 PM

Have to be careful where in upstate ny due to if the dam's give out there will be major flooding but the cold is not so bad its the heat you need to fear
Old 02-21-2019, 12:33 PM

I agree with most living in upstate ny for the last 15 yrs I can say even if shtf most people up here have alot better chance of survival we have alot of open land and can move through tree and hill cover to get farther out of towns
Old 11-01-2019, 10:41 AM

Definitely possible to successfully prep in NY. If someone isn't used to cold weather living then it would be less than ideal I guess. However, if your used to it then no different than any other state I would assume. You learn to adapt to the environment you're in.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:11 AM

Born and raised on the finger lakes. Left for the west 1971.
As a kid and teen this area was excellent for foraging, hunting, fishing, gardening. Still visit and it hasnít changed much in those respects. Population density is clustered. Lots of forest. Sharpen your cold weather skills and your good to go.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:52 AM
Shotgunner

Without government interference, NYS is a great place to prep. Sure winters can be harsh, but many states worse off than us.

Due to political state and having NYC attached, it can make for less than desirable goods.
The Following User Says Thank You to NYsurvivalist For This Useful Post: