Advertise Here

Old 08-28-2019, 08:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,117 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
Update:

I got my truck out of the shop yesterday afternoon. $3188.00 for the transmission rebuilt. Ouch!

I finally gave up trying to get on with that welding supply company and went to a temp agency. I was hired today for a factoring machine operator. Ten minutes after I left the agency, I saw the delivery truck for that welding supply company and we ended up parked next to each other at the intersection. We rolled down our windows and said "hi." It was the branch manager driving. He said, "I'm still working on getting you on here." I told him that I had just gotten hired but if he could get me on I choose his branch over the factory job. 45 minutes later he called and I was hired. I start next Tuesday. Yahoo!!

So I rented a local storage unit and put the stuff that was in my pickup into storage. I just rented a U-Haul trailer (I swore I wouldn't do business with them again but they're the only pony show is town). I'm picking up a 4'x8' first thing in the morning and driving back to Denver to get the rest of my stuff. I'm going to try to avoid the cost of another hotel.

California still hasn't sent a copy of my birth certificate so this trip to Denver will remedy that problem. I'll be able to get all of my vital paperwork. The next step is to get a place to live (which I'll be working on in a few moments) and my Utah driver's license. Anyway, things are looking good.

I appreciate all of your good ideas, good advice, constructive criticism, and prayers.

Good job! Iím glad itís working out for you. Because you said that you are avoiding a motel, are you intending to drive back out here, get your stuff, and drive back to Utah, all in the same day? Like you wonít stay a night in Denver?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to RedHawkSteel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 09:45 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Thanked 54,345 Times in 18,809 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawkSteel View Post
Good job! Iím glad itís working out for you. Because you said that you are avoiding a motel, are you intending to drive back out here, get your stuff, and drive back to Utah, all in the same day? Like you wonít stay a night in Denver?
I think I'll just sleep in my truck. I know of a couple of truck stops near where I'm going. I'll just recline the seat and rest my eyes. The hotels in that area will be twice what I'm paying here.
The Following User Says Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 01:25 AM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 32,499 Times in 7,835 Posts

Congrats on your stick-to-it-ative-ness.
The Following User Says Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 02:14 AM
Hunter

Thanked 4,831 Times in 1,466 Posts

Told ya so!
Congratulations!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ~Black.Dog~ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 12:17 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Okay ... here's what's likely to be my final update on the move to Utah:

I ended up around Cedar City instead of St. George or Hurricane. It's a bit smaller and the surrounding geography is much nicer to look at. It's also colder during the winter which is one of the things I wanted to avoid but, for the most part, it's a good move and I'm generally happy with it. Thanks to the local University's push for "diversity," it's a bit more liberal than I had hoped for but still much better than Denver, CO.

I did get the job I wanted and upper management is already discussing the possibility of making me the branch manager based on my experience in this industry and experience as a branch manager in the past. The current manager (although I personally like him) is young, inexperienced, and generally angry with life. In all honesty, he's not really a good fit for a management position. However, he does seem to try most of the time and I do all I can to support him.

I found a large, two-bedroom apartment 3 minutes from work. It's only $650.00 per month compared to the studio apartment in Denver which was $1300.00 per month. The utilities are about one-quarter what I was paying in Denver. It's clean and has lots of parking. The kitchen his very big which is a plus! It came with washer/dryer hookups so I got a new set of appliances from the local Home Depot.

I passed all the Utah driving tests and have my temporary Utah Commercial Driver's License. I just got a letter from the TSA today stating that I passed my background check and am free to get a CDL in this state. That's good news. I also registered my personal truck as well and have the Utah plates installed. Not only did registration cost a fraction of what it would have in Colorado but I'm not required to get a "smog test" like I was in Colorado. Money in the bank!!!

I am registered to vote in Utah (Constitution Party) and feel like a real citizen of the state at this point.

Also, as a means to bolster my income, I became a plasma donor. I stop in once a week at $50.00 a pop. That's an additional $200.00 per month which helps. Once I get my Utah CDL I'll get a $1.00 per hour raise from my current employer.

So ... for the most part ... I'm very happy and content with the move and look forward to buying some off grid property down the road. It can be pretty cheap in some places.

The only negatives: 1) The winters will be about as bad as Denver had to offer. 2) The University is inviting diverse, SJW Libtards to move here. I'm seeing too many California plates for my comfort.

Interesting side note: There are lots of "FLDS" folks here. FLDS stands for "Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints." They all follow a specific dress code no matter what day it is or what public location they frequent. The women wear their hair in a sort of old-fashioned, French braid style and they all wear similar dresses although the colors can vary. The men always wear jeans and long sleeved shirts. It's sorta cool to see them in Walmart or the local grocery store but they keep very much to themselves and seem to have an air of arrogance or haughtiness. But they aren't mean or horribly unfriendly.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 01:07 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,831 Times in 1,466 Posts

I'm glad to hear things are looking up for you. Faith and persistence always pay off.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ~Black.Dog~ For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2019, 07:50 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,454 Times in 646 Posts

You have been in Cedar for a few weeks now, how is it working out for you? What do you think of the cold weather now?
The Following User Says Thank You to Stinky For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2019, 10:21 PM
Snacks

Glad things are going good, hopefully still are. Best of luck and keep us posted. I actually looked at some property near Cedar, in Parowan, but I didn’t buy because I wasn’t sure about the winters...
The Following User Says Thank You to CDMAC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2019, 10:57 PM
That'll be the day...

Thanked 5,923 Times in 1,407 Posts

Hadn't seen this thread until tonight and read the whole thing... Read like a drama, short story.... No offense....

Good on ya for the grit to make it happen. A lot of us in Colorado are looking for any way to get out of Dodge..... You just made it happen.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Big_John For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 06:52 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
You have been in Cedar for a few weeks now, how is it working out for you? What do you think of the cold weather now?

I love the geographical aspect of Cedar. The temps have been in the mid 60s for almost all of the month of November. It was mid 40s today with spots of rain. Very nice so far.

I'm disappointed that it's University is moving towards the SJW mentality but it's still better than Denver.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:54 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMAC View Post
Glad things are going good, hopefully still are. Best of luck and keep us posted. I actually looked at some property near Cedar, in Parowan, but I didnít buy because I wasnít sure about the winters...

Parowan isn't too bad but I would move to Panguitch if I could. It's on my list of future moves (perhaps). Cedar is drawing a lot of out-of-staters just like St. George and Hurricane. Panguitch has more of a cowboy feel to it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 06:55 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
Hadn't seen this thread until tonight and read the whole thing... Read like a drama, short story.... No offense....

Good on ya for the grit to make it happen. A lot of us in Colorado are looking for any way to get out of Dodge..... You just made it happen.

There were some pretty tough downs during the journey but everything worked out. I'm mostly happy with the results. I'm secretly looking for a job that pays more though. I'm at a beginning wage in an industry that I have 25 years worth of experience.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,576 Times in 7,125 Posts

Quote:
Parowan isn't too bad but I would move to Panguitch if I could. It's on my list of future moves (perhaps). Cedar is drawing a lot of out-of-staters just like St. George and Hurricane. Panguitch has more of a cowboy feel to it.
Glad it all is working for you!

Panguitch is good people. Theyíre small town, so it may be hard to become part of the community, but if you can stick it out and show that youíre also good people, it will work out.

You looking at commuting to Cedar from Panguitch? That 70 miles could get ugly when the snow flies.
The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 12:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,704 Times in 1,418 Posts

I worked in the Flaming Gorge one summer. Utah is an interesting state. We were treated well there. The sheriff of the county owned the theater, one of the bars and the restaurant where we ate most of our meals. The little town had only one paved road, the road in from Wyoming. I imagine the dam changed all that and their lives forever.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 02:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,576 Times in 7,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
I worked in the Flaming Gorge one summer. Utah is an interesting state. We were treated well there. The sheriff of the county owned the theater, one of the bars and the restaurant where we ate most of our meals. The little town had only one paved road, the road in from Wyoming. I imagine the dam changed all that and their lives forever.
Manila? Dutch John? Yep, it's changed up there...
The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 05:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,704 Times in 1,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
Manila? Dutch John? Yep, it's changed up there...
Manila........
The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 06:43 PM
read more, post less

Glad it finally worked out for you. Seems like the Lord wanted you there, just didn't want to make it too easy, or forgive me, maybe for some reason he wanted you to make it harder on yourself for a bit?

I've got some stories of my two moves to Arizona where I didn't have any jobs or family. The first move was REALLY something. The second one, I planned a bit better, but it still had its moments. We can thank the Patriot Act for making the DL thing a bit more difficult than it used to be.

Maybe I'll relate them sometime.
The Following User Says Thank You to teddyearp For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
I followed the thread and want to congratulate you on your achievements. I want to do the same (and I'm about the same age as you), but I'll be lugging a kitty cat along as well.

The posts in this thread are great and has given me lots of ideas and made me think of things I would never have thought of.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pol For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
Glad it all is working for you!

Panguitch is good people. Theyíre small town, so it may be hard to become part of the community, but if you can stick it out and show that youíre also good people, it will work out.

You looking at commuting to Cedar from Panguitch? That 70 miles could get ugly when the snow flies.

If I ever move to Panguitch I would try to find a job in or near the town. I don't like long commutes. It seems to be a pretty clean town with painted houses and nice yards. It's smaller than Cedar which is to my liking.
Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post

I've never heard of Flaming Gorge but if you were near Wyoming then it couldn't be too far from Logan, UT where I lived in 1979 to 1981 (or thereabouts). I almost got frostbite in Logan as I was untrained in the ways of winter. Another 30 minutes in that -20 degree (wind chill of -30) I would have lost the tips of several fingers.