29 Percent Decline in North American Bird Population - Page 4 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here

Old 09-26-2019, 07:40 PM

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbowie1 View Post
YOU KILL just for fun, To bad the critters you kill for fun cant shoot back, Straight to ignore.
I thought the same thing...people like that are the ones that usually end up as sociopaths and go on to murder more intelligent "prey"... AKA humans. Sickening!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WX4SNO For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 08:02 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 20,014 Times in 5,192 Posts

I always figured it was the wind farms.
We coyote hunt on a wind farm, the 'yotes come in to eat all the dead birds under the windmills.

Locally though, we have a ton of birds. Still the huge clouds of starlings? over the fields, and thousands of grackles on the power lines.
We have blue jays in our yard daily, same with cardinals, as well as all the regular wrens, sparrows etc... I think we have a Carolina Wren that visits occasionally. Cool little bird.
We also have a pair of Eurasian Collard Doves live in our pine tree out front, and had an Eastern Screech Owl in our other tree out front a couple nights ago.
Had Barn Owls in our Catalpa tree maybe three years ago. The hummers are pretty rare, but we haven't put out a feeder in a while.

I'm glad though, we really enjoy them.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:41 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,424 Times in 557 Posts

I haven't read the study, but the title seems a bit "alarmist" and my instinct is to take all such "scientific studies" with a huge grain of salt.
There will always be changes in population numbers of all species. The only thing not changing on the planet is the total mass of the Earth and all of its species of flora & fauna & all the water. Dust to dust, and when it becomes alive again, it is never the same....
Old 09-27-2019, 12:08 AM
A marathon not a sprint

Thanked 15,634 Times in 3,845 Posts

I think Jimfrom28 Days brought up a hugely significant point. A friend drove across the corn and wheat belt in spring without having to wash his windshield . When I was a kid I remember helping wash the car every weekend and there were always splattered squashed bug bodies . Some one or two day drives would warrant a wash just to clean up the bugs . Now I can drive months without accumulating nary a bug to wash off. I live in a rural area and think I could count the bugs I wash off on maybe one hand in a summer .
The Following User Says Thank You to Hilltopper For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 01:56 AM
Survivor

Thanked 22,571 Times in 7,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopper View Post
I think Jimfrom28 Days brought up a hugely significant point. A friend drove across the corn and wheat belt in spring without having to wash his windshield . When I was a kid I remember helping wash the car every weekend and there were always splattered squashed bug bodies . Some one or two day drives would warrant a wash just to clean up the bugs . Now I can drive months without accumulating nary a bug to wash off. I live in a rural area and think I could count the bugs I wash off on maybe one hand in a summer .
Come over here, we’ll spatter your paint with bug guts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 10:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,196 Times in 4,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopper View Post
I drove 150 miles this morning to where I’m waiting now to get unloaded in Eastern PA.
It was 46 degrees when I left.
By the time I got here it was 70 and I cleaned my windshield when I got here.

Might I inquire what kind of vehicle you drive?
Modern aerodynamics might be a factor?
The Following User Says Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2019, 06:39 AM
Prepared

I haven’t noticed anything. Scientists these days are on the same level as politicians in my book. Paid off hacks. Climate change is a good example. A scientist can say anything and us “commoners” are supposed to just believe and buy into it.