Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Great deal on Solar Panel 60 watt $163.00 highdeserthawk DIY - Do It Yourself 17 03-29-2016 10:49 PM
40 per Watt for solar panels ForestBeekeeper Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 53 06-19-2015 11:25 AM
Please recommend an AA charger that works with 7.5 watt solar panel? sierralimaone DIY - Do It Yourself 10 06-24-2014 10:34 AM
Humless 5 Watt Portable Solar Panel theberkeyguy For Sale 0 02-28-2013 10:45 AM
Habor Freight 45 Watt Solar Panel Kit a Possible Purchase For Some. Sprig Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 46 12-15-2012 08:22 PM
1800 watt solar generator doublenut9 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 09-30-2012 03:54 PM
Sunlinq 6.5 watt solar panel azb Reviews and questions 2 04-01-2011 06:37 PM
800 watt portable gas generator VS 45 watt solar panel kit cpellegra Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 21 03-05-2011 07:08 PM
HF 45 Watt Solar Panel (Again) djstar39 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 05-12-2010 11:02 AM
45 Watt Solar Panel Kit $159.99 Cosmo Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 6 11-26-2009 10:26 AM

Old 07-28-2014, 12:39 PM

Default Solar refrigerator on a 70 watt solar panel?

Advertise Here

Check this out a refrigerator so efficient that it only takes a 70 watt solar panel and one 100AH battery?
I would think all refrigerators would be made this way since the technology exist. They also make a 120 volt
version that runs on next to nothing. Sort of pricey but when your getting ready for TSHTF whats price going to
matter after it happens. I been reading reviews on this and it looks like they work very well.

This could be my answer to off grid refrigeration. I'm still having trouble believing the specifications on this.
Amazon.com: Sundanzer Solar-Powered Refrigerator... cover
Amazon.com: Sundanzer Solar-Powered Refrigerator...
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2014, 01:31 PM
Apprentice Geezer

Thanked 1,932 Times in 1,150 Posts

Recemtly I have been looking at small 120 volt compressor driven refrigerators; the ones made for mobile /RV/vehicle use all are very over priced/spendy.
Some of the small 110/120 volt units look like they could be used with a good sized solar system & battery bank, using an inverter.

Some of the portable 120 volt ice makers look like they can be used to refresh the ice supply while off grid using moderate solar & battery with inverter.

I noticed, yesterday that walmart is having a sale on small chinese refrigerators (there was no current draw spec. on the box though, so these would need more research (the prices were great but the lack of specs/made in china scares me.

Enjoy!
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Joe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 03:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,953 Times in 2,411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetprepp-n View Post
Check this out a refrigerator so efficient that it only takes a 70 watt solar panel and one 100AH battery?
I would think all refrigerators would be made this way since the technology exist. They also make a 120 volt
version that runs on next to nothing. Sort of pricey but when your getting ready for TSHTF whats price going to
matter after it happens. I been reading reviews on this and it looks like they work very well.

This could be my answer to off grid refrigeration. I'm still having trouble believing the specifications on this.
Look at the four reviews of this $1k plus refrigerator. Two of them are 1 star. That cinches that up for me without even looking at it.

It's hard to beat getting a salvaged RV refrigerator that runs off propane. They still pull about 1-1.5 amps of 12 volt current, but a 50-100 watt solar panel can replenish that. From my experience with my RV, we can run the propane refrigerator for at least 3 weeks on 20 lbs. of propane in the summer.

But really, why all the fuss about a refrigerator? How long do you need to keep 2-4 days worth of food cold? Just eat it, starting with the ice cream in the freezer! Wrap it in sleeping bags to improve the insulation, or run it off of an inverter connected to your vehicle's battery every couple of days for a few hours.

You really shouldn't be dependent on refrigeration for your prepping. Shelf-stable foods are far better. And just cook enough to eat for now with no leftovers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to willthrill81 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willthrill81 View Post
Look at the four reviews of this $1k plus refrigerator. Two of them are 1 star. That cinches that up for me without even looking at it.

It's hard to beat getting a salvaged RV refrigerator that runs off propane. They still pull about 1-1.5 amps of 12 volt current, but a 50-100 watt solar panel can replenish that. From my experience with my RV, we can run the propane refrigerator for at least 3 weeks on 20 lbs. of propane in the summer.

But really, why all the fuss about a refrigerator? How long do you need to keep 2-4 days worth of food cold? Just eat it, starting with the ice cream in the freezer! Wrap it in sleeping bags to improve the insulation, or run it off of an inverter connected to your vehicle's battery every couple of days for a few hours.

You really shouldn't be dependent on refrigeration for your prepping. Shelf-stable foods are far better. And just cook enough to eat for now with no leftovers.
yes I saw there were some problems with the frigs that supposedly taken care of.

As far as getting ready for when TSHTF why not be as comfortable as
possible? 2-4 Days? I'm looking at this as a prepper long term

where you going to get the propane? I have 5 100 lb tanks full
but I know it won't last for ever.

I don't need running hot water ether but I'm going to have it.
I don't need electric lights ether but I'm going to have it (solar)

I'm not dependent on anything but if you know it's coming (shtf)
why not get ready the best you can?

you like having a fridge and lights now? And you don't think you
would like to have them after TSHTF?

Maybe I'm just a sissy but I'm getting ready and I don't want to sleep
under a rock. That's why my BOL is deep in the mountains but my kids
and I will be comfortable

I like fresh eggs and I'm going to have them too.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to budgetprepp-n For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 04:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,444 Times in 2,739 Posts

You can get the larger size for the same price as the O/P

http://sunelec.com/shop/appliances/s...rigerator.html
Old 07-28-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardog View Post
You can the larger size for the same price as the O/P

http://sunelec.com/shop/appliances/s...rigerator.html
I saw that sort of interesting that the bigger one is not more expensive
but I'm running solar for power and I'm trying to keep the load down.
I'm only going to have a total of 780 watts and that's on a sunny day.
I have 300 watts that has been running for about a yes now and I
am adding two 235 watt panels I hope to have them up and running
this week
I was surprized how much I can run with only 300 watts
The Following User Says Thank You to budgetprepp-n For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 04:39 PM
Here's my safety Sir

Thanked 20,734 Times in 7,374 Posts

Read the reviews on the one at amazon it sucks. Good idea but not that one.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up totally worn out and loudly proclaiming man what a ride!
Save The The Montagnard People
Old 07-28-2014, 04:43 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,386 Times in 839 Posts

My plan is to get a small ("dorm size") freezer, cut out the freezer thermostat, and replace it with a fridge thermostat. I mainly want to keep defrosted meat cool between defrosting and cooking (can be a couple days with me) and maybe keep lemon juice cool. As for a freezer, I will get a 12 volt unit. I know I may use canning, but so much can go wrong with home canned meat that I don't want to risk it.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:53 PM
Trapper

Much better to build your own system, buy a 2000watt inverter, a deep cycle battery, and a good sized solar panel. You will be able to recharge batteries and run a few lights for less than what that frig costs. A small 6 cubic foot frezzer is not very expensive, run off the solar system you build and you have more of a system to play with.
The Following User Says Thank You to kscmac For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 04:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 28,762 Times in 10,729 Posts

I wouldn't call that a refrigerator, it is more like a solar powered ice chest. That said, the power usage is relatively low and would be good for keeping some milk and meat from spoiling in a SHTF situation. I have had a few of these in the past and they are great;
www.livingdirect.com/Edgestar-80-Qt-Portable-Fridge-Freezer-FP861/FP861,default,pd.html?mtcpromotion=PLA>Home_Applia nces>Freezers>Portable_Freezers>FP861&src=SHOPPING &kpid=FP861&CAWELAID=120128520000036785&CAGPSPN=pl a&gclid=CO2Z6o3_6L8CFUKCMgodvGQArg

I currently have a portable unit that runs on gas (spin on LPG canisters) or 12VDC or 120VAC.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,444 Times in 2,739 Posts

Quote:
I saw that sort of interesting that the bigger one is not more expensive
but I'm running solar for power and I'm trying to keep the load down.
I'm only going to have a total of 780 watts and that's on a sunny day.
I have 300 watts that has been running for about a yes now and I
am adding two 235 watt panels I hope to have them up and running
this week
I was surprized how much I can run with only 300 watts
The smaller one is cheeper, but I think that the site is out of stock right now.
Scratch that, I just did not see the smaller one, it is just under a G.

http://sunelec.com/shop/appliances/s...5-8-cu-ft.html
Old 07-28-2014, 07:50 PM
Freedom isn't free.

Location: Region 4 - beseiged by communists/ corporate fascists/ criminals...
Thanked 12,447 Times in 3,977 Posts

My 5 cu ft chest freezer's plate says it runs on 1 amp. My 1600 watt Whistler modified sine wave inverter says the freezer is running on 80 to 100 watts when it's running which translates into about .78 amps. The inverter uses a little energy too.

19-25 amp hours a day should keep the freezer going 24/7. I have a WMT (EverStart) 101 amp hour deep cycle battery feeding my inverter and other loads. I have 110 watts of solar panel to replace the energy used.
The Following User Says Thank You to CrypticCRICKET For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 08:24 PM
Combat marxism Now!

Thanked 23,964 Times in 5,993 Posts

There is a reason that "Fridge" looks like a chest freezer. Because that's exactly what it is, with the thermostat set to a higher temperature. You can do exactly the same thing with a small chest freezer.
The Following User Says Thank You to cujet For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 09:24 PM
Trapper

You don't have to run the chest frezzer 24/7, you can put a mechanical/or use a electronic one to turn the power onto the chest frezzer at a certain temp. This would save a few watts of power to either stay in the battery or charge something else. Thats how I had mine setup, and it ran about every 4 hours. I did put more insulation aroud the frezzer and a small 12 volt muffin fan that ran while the freezer was running to push the heat out and from the chest frezzer. The extra insulation really made a big difference, at least here in Florida.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kscmac For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 09:33 PM
Survivor

Quote:
yes I saw there were some problems with the frigs that supposedly taken care of.

As far as getting ready for when TSHTF why not be as comfortable as
possible? 2-4 Days? I'm looking at this as a prepper long term

where you going to get the propane? I have 5 100 lb tanks full
but I know it won't last for ever.

I don't need running hot water ether but I'm going to have it.
I don't need electric lights ether but I'm going to have it (solar)

I'm not dependent on anything but if you know it's coming (shtf)
why not get ready the best you can?

you like having a fridge and lights now? And you don't think you
would like to have them after TSHTF?

Maybe I'm just a sissy but I'm getting ready and I don't want to sleep
under a rock. That's why my BOL is deep in the mountains but my kids
and I will be comfortable

I like fresh eggs and I'm going to have them too.
Believe me, I understand your sentiment. I like my creature comforts as much as the next man. However, in a long-term WCS, the biggest realistic creature comfort may be real toilet paper.

Long-term refrigeration is possible, but it should be WAY down on anyone's priority list IMO. Aside from hydro, wind, or wood gasification (which is far too often overlooked), solar PV may be your best bet. But buckle up when you see how many panels and batteries you need. And don't forget that the batteries will likely be toast in 10 years or less. You can buy a whole lot of canned food that will be good 10 years from now with that much money.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:57 PM
Closed for the Season.

Thanked 30,708 Times in 10,730 Posts

Biggest issue I have with some of these devices, supposedly designed for solar, is why are they really designed for battery power? Why don't the electronic whizes come up with a method that the refrigerator (in this instances) runs when the panel is producing power and cuts off if insufficient power is available from the panel? Maybe only a smaller stabilizing battery for short disruptions like a cloud drift over . Insulation can carry the refrigerator through the night and if there is no sunlight a generator could be started and supply power.

Solar power folks really need to stop using batteries for storage. Batteries are the biggest stumbling block to the whole idea.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 10:07 PM
Bravo Zulu

Thanked 12,165 Times in 5,768 Posts

I bought a new fridge last year, just a regular 240V Samsung fridge/freezer unit. It runs on less than 1kWh per day. I don't need to spend a fortune on solar panels and batteries to be able to keep that fridge running.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:14 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
Biggest issue I have with some of these devices, supposedly designed for solar, is why are they really designed for battery power? Why don't the electronic whizes come up with a method that the refrigerator (in this instances) runs when the panel is producing power and cuts off if insufficient power is available from the panel? Maybe only a smaller stabilizing battery for short disruptions like a cloud drift over . Insulation can carry the refrigerator through the night and if there is no sunlight a generator could be started and supply power.

Solar power folks really need to stop using batteries for storage. Batteries are the biggest stumbling block to the whole idea.
I'm guessing that you've never worked with solar panels before. The power that comes from them is highly variable. As the sun moves, clouds of any size get in the way, or even as dust in the atmosphere moves around, the power output of solar PV panels changes. That's why solar charge controllers were developed. They 'smooth out' the power.

That being said, you can directly connect 12V or 24V (depending on your setup) devices directly to the charge controller and bypass batteries altogether. But then what do you do when the sun doesn't shine? Forget night; you may not get good enough sunshine to cool your fridge down for many days at a time. That's why batteries are necessary and not a few of them either if you really want dependable power.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to willthrill81 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
Biggest issue I have with some of these devices, supposedly designed for solar, is why are they really designed for battery power? Why don't the electronic whizes come up with a method that the refrigerator (in this instances) runs when the panel is producing power and cuts off if insufficient power is available from the panel? Maybe only a smaller stabilizing battery for short disruptions [/B] like a cloud drift over . Insulation can carry the refrigerator through the night and if there is no sunlight a generator could be started and supply power.

Run full blast freeze when it's sunny or as cycling of motor allows.

Small Lithium battery (like Tesla) for disruptions (of up to a day?)

More insulation

Great ideas ! ! !
Old 07-28-2014, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willthrill81 View Post
". . . .I'm guessing that you've never worked with solar panels before. . . . ."
You are correct about myself. . . With learned post likes yours I hope to some day soon.

THANKS,