What got you started? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OMG, what have I started??? What do I need? boatycall Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 24 09-25-2013 06:30 PM
Getting Started... SCAR515 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 5 07-13-2013 06:00 PM
Getting Started mosin dude Black powder 3 06-25-2013 08:34 AM
Just getting started docfaust New Member Introduction 9 06-18-2013 11:31 PM
Just getting started! thutch15 New Member Introduction 5 01-25-2012 04:18 PM
Help me get started. Eli Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 13 06-17-2010 03:57 PM
and that's how it all started.. RECTIFIER Jokes, Humor & Music 2 06-11-2010 11:08 AM
Just getting started Kysurvivalist Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 6 05-09-2010 01:14 PM
Where do I get started owner_bsp New Member Introduction 11 05-01-2010 03:17 PM

Old 08-24-2010, 12:18 AM
Homesteader

Thanked 2,218 Times in 796 Posts
Default What got you started?

Advertise Here

I know this has been done a bajillion times, but it is interesting to hear what motivates people to prep.

I got started right after Y2K. Like a lot of people I watched the ball drop on TV and went to bed, but in the following days it kept bugging me. Nothing happened, but what hit me was, what if it had?

That realization just floored me. I had an 11 year old daughter I was raising on my own, lived in a big metro area, and was totally unprepared.

I had basic camping and fishing stuff, but no stored food. Even if I did have something, I had nothing but a cheap old .22 mag pistol to help defend it.

I knew a bit more than most since I lived on a farm when younger, but next to nothing about the many subjects concerning survival.

I was really new to the net, but got online and started searching. I found a preppers site and started to read and learn. For a long time I wasn't even a member, but just lurked.

That was 10 years ago, and light years away from where I am now.
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2010, 12:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,757 Posts

I honestly can't remember but I started hunting by myself at 13, packing for an air taxi at 15, guiding at 21 and running my own at 25 so it just goes hand in hand, I guess. I have had enough hard lessons along the way that it makes me look at things differently.

The movie Red Dawn had some influence of course. At 15 or so, I devoured Red Storm Rising, which is about an abbreviated version of WWIII for Russian control of Europe after they had their oil fields decimated in Azerbijan. I bought an AR-15 that year.

California's energy shortage and bankrupt economy scares me as it's the 6th largest in the world; or it was anyway.

Nowadays, I am trying to teach these idiot kids something about self-reliance but they won't put their I-phones down. They truly have no hope.
The Following User Says Thank You to AKpredator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2010, 01:02 AM

Once upon a time I was a boyscout, and have always loved the outdoors. I have always been interested in wilderness survival, and eventually it introduced me into "bugging out". Then that got me thinkin about why would I need to bug out and stuff like that, and then I started getting on sites like this. And then I just started preparing in any way I can.
The Following User Says Thank You to NotYourAverageJoe For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2010, 01:34 AM
Right Handed

Barak Hussien Obama.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawaii Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2010, 07:18 AM
Just livin'

Thanked 3,789 Times in 1,491 Posts

As a teenager I saw the gas lines and rationing in the 70's. That started the mindset.

The Jimmy Carter era and the early days of Ronnie Reagan solidified it.

Y2K and 9/11 validated it.

Ruby Ridge and Waco made me afraid of it.

Obama re-awakened it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bullets~n~Beans For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2010, 07:34 AM

I did the Y2K prep thing...and looking back, it was a pitiful attempt. A few things have survived since then - like the security bars on the downstairs windows, a good wool Army blanket and a backpack full of miscellaneous items <can openers, wool socks, waterproof matches, etc>>. The rest, both physical and emotional, is long gone.

Until about a year-n-a-half ago, when our family business hit a real low slump. We are totally dependent on this business and it scared the ****ens out of me. We now have children and I couldn't imagine (then) what would happen if there was no money. The idea that I might not be able to feed my kids shook me hard.

So, I started reading, building up a pantry and bringing down our debt. And good grief! Now, the more I read, the more I feel like it will never be enough to become as independent / self-sufficient as I possibly can - for my children's sake, if for nothing else.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vhbrown2 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2010, 07:49 AM
Believe in Yourself

Thanked 4,902 Times in 2,188 Posts

Vietnam BS, eyes & ears open ever since....
The Following User Says Thank You to alergyfree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2010, 08:33 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,250 Times in 545 Posts

Being in the service in the mid 60's, previous boy scout, farm life, hunting rabbits etc for table meat as a kid. Then watching the events unfold in this country . The first gas shortages really kicked it off, as I was hunting and backpacking way back then.. Just evolved I suppose from all. Back packing really taught me a lot about what to carry and what you can do without, even though most people take way to much s... with them.
The Following User Says Thank You to nadja For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2010, 09:07 AM
Prepared in NH

Thanked 5,608 Times in 3,397 Posts

Started when I was young.

I am a planner by nature. That is ingrained in me since young.

Y2K was a leap into long term planning and preparation, tho, no guns were involved at that point.

9/11 - like it did for many - confirmed the importance and likelihood of major civil issues/problems that can develop "overnight" (and cripple transportation).

Tho, I didn't need to see it to understand the obvious point - Katrina re-emphasized the fact (served as a clear & strong example) - that the majority of people are unprepared, clueless, and - the gvt is simply unable to care for citizens in a major catastrophy.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:41 AM
VIP Member

I read Lights Out and it got me into the mindset.
The Following User Says Thank You to niferous For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Target Shooter

unknowingly started 15 yrs ago...

now.. solely to make sure my wife and kids have a life if I'm not around.
The Following User Says Thank You to cocador For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2010, 10:49 AM

Basically, 9/11 got me thinking about it. I was visiting my mom in VA at the time and they are preparers. They built a round house so it could sustain hurricane winds, they put their house on a specific place on their property so they can protect it, they bought guns and rifles, and they grow most of their own food.

Anyway, I was there during 9/11 and got stuck there with my sister and 2 year old son. It got me thinking about how prepared my mom was and how unprepared I was. Fast forward to today, and I'm still not ready for much of anything but at least I'm thinking about it, LOL!
The Following User Says Thank You to ilovedogs For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Left the building

Thanked 25,338 Times in 8,260 Posts

I too made a feeble attempt a Y2K. What a joke that was looking back. Became complacent until a couple of years ago. It was the threat of Ike coming inland that made me become more serious. Went to get some water and supplies, and the store shelves were "blown out". People were running over each other...and Ike was still offshore. Told the wife, "uh, uh." Not happening again. Luckilly for us, Ike didn't take the early projected path towards San Antonio and the Hill Country.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TxHills For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2010, 12:03 PM

I just started at the beginning of this year. I had been concerned about the direction the country was heading, especially after the last presidential election, and was always thinking about what might happen but never actually doing anything about it. After returning to college after Christmas break, one of my good military buddies, whom I had had many conversations over these types of things, said he had found a book I needed to read and lent me his copy of Patriots: A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse, by James Wesley Rawles. I couldnt put it down. I didnt sleep that night and read half the book before having to leave for class in the morning. Haha Im a slow reader. I soon purchased my own copy and while it is a fictional story with how to's built in, it definatly sparked in my mind that while I had been thinking about possible future events, I hadnt been doing anything to [I]prepare[I] for them! I felt like such a dumba**. Needless to say I found this website after searching around for a while and now do as much as I can to prepare for whatever lies ahead...
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgiaOutdoorsman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Hunter

Watching the aftermath of New Orleans go to the dogs after Kathrina!

Moast of the hellicopters in Iraq and Afghanistan as far as I understood. And in the beginning when it counted the moast, REJECT HELP from other countries. And this is was suppose to be the ritchest, and moast powerfull country in the world couldnt even help their own!

This made start thinking of something like that happend near where I live. I also live very close to the sea. I dont want to be one of thoose sitting on the roof dying!
The Following User Says Thank You to Gullars For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2010, 01:32 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 155,225 Times in 45,070 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I've asked myself that same question many times and I still don't really know the answer. I've always been outdoorsy and had an interest in primitive skills, even as a kid. Me and a friend used to go primitive camping when we were in our early teens. We'd wander up into the mountains and live off rabbit and cactus for 2 or 3 days, then come home.

I can look back into my mind and see that I've always had the survivalist leaning. As a kid, I always kept my backpack loaded and ready to grab. I didn't know why, nor where I would go, and it wasn't very well thought out. But that was just my mindset.

Somewhere in the early 90s I began prepping in earnest. There was no actual triggering event. It's just something I felt I needed to do. My early prepping mindset hadn't evolved to consider everything yet, so I was still in the mindset that equipment was all that was needed to survive.

I decided to get into it in a big way and dropped about $10,000 on gear and freeze dried foods. I learned that freeze dried foods were not a good choice for me, so I reinvested in dehydrated and store bought, plus more gear. Then came another large investment in metals in the late 90s when prices dropped sharply. I also bought a diesel generator that I ended up having absolutely no use for.

I've just kept it up ever since. Learning more, adding more, fine tuning skills and plans, testing my BOB and skills, and in general just working on being better prepared. I'm most definately NOT a scenario prepper, so I'm not preparing for anything in particular. It's too easy to be blindsided by something you don't expect. So I prep for "whatever" and keep alert.

A lot of it has been very satisfying. Learning to garden and preserve food by canning and dehydrating has been especially satisfying. It is one step towards self sufficiency, which is the only true long term prep.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2010, 01:37 PM

9/11 followed by all the horrible hurricanes. I decided that I would never be that person starving and depending on our government to rescue me.
The Following User Says Thank You to _STL_15_ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2010, 01:40 PM
old hand

Thanked 6,386 Times in 3,016 Posts

I did because Dad did, he did because Grampa did.

I don't know how to live any other way.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ex-hunter For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2010, 01:48 PM

Always went camping with my dad and sometimes to excersise with hin when he was still in.first gear was all british mil stuf ands most skills to then serving myself fell asleep for some years but gear was always packed,restsarted after a snowstorm last year when my gf and i got stuck on the motorway
The Following User Says Thank You to cyk For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Target Shooter

It kind of started for me after 9/11 and watching all of those people jumping out of the WTC. I just rewatched the video on Youtube and it made me physically ill all over again.
The Following User Says Thank You to hippytreehugger4ev For This Useful Post: