Help me get started. - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files


Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OMG, what have I started??? What do I need? boatycall Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 24 09-25-2013 06:30 PM
Getting Started... SCAR515 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 5 07-13-2013 06:00 PM
Getting Started mosin dude Black powder 3 06-25-2013 08:34 AM
Just getting started docfaust New Member Introduction 9 06-18-2013 11:31 PM
Just getting started! thutch15 New Member Introduction 5 01-25-2012 04:18 PM
What got you started? wilhelm Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 24 08-25-2010 02:15 AM
and that's how it all started.. RECTIFIER Jokes, Humor & Music 2 06-11-2010 11:08 AM
Just getting started Kysurvivalist Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 6 05-09-2010 01:14 PM
Where do I get started owner_bsp New Member Introduction 11 05-01-2010 03:17 PM

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010, 06:08 PM
Eli Eli is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 22
Thanks: 20
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default Help me get started.



Advertise Here

Hi everyone, i was wondering what some basic preparations I should take to prepare for when SHTF. I love being in the outdoors and solo camping but im not an expert, I have shot guns, bows, slingshots so I am not completely new to things.

So basically i am asking everyone what should I do to prepare myself!!!
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Eli For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2010, 07:47 PM
Skies's Avatar
Skies Skies is offline
Goat Whisperer
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA
Age: 27
Posts: 50
Thanks: 9
Thanked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Default

I'd start by making a Bug Out Bag (BOB)

I saw a thread that was really good and had a great list of items (there are many) but since I can't find it I'll copy / paste the info here. I saved the text to a file.

edit: found the thread - https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=35690

Also you could start storing some basic food preps and water.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skies For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2010, 10:43 PM
MikeK's Avatar
MikeK MikeK is offline
Walking methane refinery
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Age: 57
Posts: 64,575
Thanks: 131,708
Thanked 155,225 Times in 45,070 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1
Default

I would start by going through the stickied threads. They contain a lot of information that we get asked often. It's a fast way to get up to speed. Then when you have more specific questions, you'll get more focused answers.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-16-2010, 11:58 PM
705's Avatar
705 705 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 32
Thanks: 29
Thanked 23 Times in 11 Posts
Default

As was said by MikeK start with the stickies lost of good info in them. Also I would have a look at these videos they are very well put together and have much information in them for people just starting out.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AnalyticalSurvival

Good luck and have fun with the preps..
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 705 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2010, 12:00 AM
th3boy's Avatar
th3boy th3boy is offline
Hiker
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At the tree line
Posts: 703
Thanks: 718
Thanked 570 Times in 303 Posts
Default

Canned food and shotguns ;D . But seriously, some simple food stores, a garden and some ammo are how most of us start(ed).
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2010, 02:09 AM
denvernative321 denvernative321 is offline
Target Shooter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 461
Thanks: 33
Thanked 276 Times in 163 Posts
Default

I would start by doing some reading reading and more reading. then start by building up a BOB. just watch out this can consume more money and time than anything else. before you buy something make sure you do plenty of research try not to impulse buy. Getting into physical shape is free for the most part and is deffinatly a big factor. dont become an armchair survivalist get out hike, fish, hunt etc learn to become a true survivalist.

Also another note on buying guns. Its seems to by a huge hype in buying every gun you see and getting in the mind set when its time to get out of dodge you think you can take 3 guns and 3000 rounds of ammo on foot. thats just never going to happen. you will see when hiking every gram of weight in your bag is important.

there is nothing wrong with getting one good reliable gun and ammo. learn to use it and make sure you have done plenty of research making sure it will fit your needs for what you intend to use it for.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to denvernative321 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2010, 04:36 AM
peak_oil's Avatar
peak_oil peak_oil is offline
I have nothing to say
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: I have nothing to say
Posts: 499
Thanks: 131
Thanked 632 Times in 251 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skies View Post
I'd start by making a Bug Out Bag (BOB)

I saw a thread that was really good and had a great list of items (there are many) but since I can't find it I'll copy / paste the info here. I saved the text to a file.

edit: found the thread - https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=35690

Also you could start storing some basic food preps and water.
I would start by forgetting about a bugout bag and invest in building a resilient lifestyle for yourself. Make your home an oasis for yourself.

Water is the most important thing you can stockpile. If you live near a lake, river, or stream, then you're probably in good shape. Do you think you can put up a couple of blue food grade 55 gallon barrels of water? Think two gallons per person per day, how long could you last with however much water you can store.

Water is really the first thing to stock up on. Either that or move to a place that has a reliable water source.

If you don't or can't do that, all the rest of it is masturbation. Water, water, water. If you don't get your water situation right it's all over before you even started.

The way I personally decided to prepare for TEOTWAKI was to move to a place where water literally falls right out of the sky on to every place for a hundred miles in all directions for free, and where you could collect water by putting a barrel under a downspout forever. I have a reliable water supply for life and for free, provided I do my part and collect it, purify it, and make it suitable for consumption by treating my collection surface with food grade plastic. Water is CHEAP for me and for all my neighbors, and none of us are going to have to argue with each other over water. Water is a peaceful thing around here. Hell, the biggest problem we have with water is trying to get rid of it.

Consider spending years learning bushcraft, spending thousands of dollars on weapons and ammo, storing white rice and peanut butter and knives and backpacks, and running out of water on your third day. You would simply have to leave it all behind and walk to the water.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peak_oil For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2010, 10:15 AM
Westfalia's Avatar
Westfalia Westfalia is offline
Sibi Totique
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,074
Thanks: 1,804
Thanked 2,539 Times in 621 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 3
Default

Hi Eli! Here is my guide for how to get started. You can also check out this post for advice on Bug Out Bags.

You can find all articles that I have written wither on my blog or in the thread Take it to the next level from the basics.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2010, 02:04 PM
Skies's Avatar
Skies Skies is offline
Goat Whisperer
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA
Age: 27
Posts: 50
Thanks: 9
Thanked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peak_oil View Post
I would start by forgetting about a bugout bag and invest in building a resilient lifestyle for yourself. Make your home an oasis for yourself.

Water is the most important thing you can stockpile. If you live near a lake, river, or stream, then you're probably in good shape. Do you think you can put up a couple of blue food grade 55 gallon barrels of water? Think two gallons per person per day, how long could you last with however much water you can store.

Water is really the first thing to stock up on. Either that or move to a place that has a reliable water source.

If you don't or can't do that, all the rest of it is masturbation. Water, water, water. If you don't get your water situation right it's all over before you even started.

The way I personally decided to prepare for TEOTWAKI was to move to a place where water literally falls right out of the sky on to every place for a hundred miles in all directions for free, and where you could collect water by putting a barrel under a downspout forever. I have a reliable water supply for life and for free, provided I do my part and collect it, purify it, and make it suitable for consumption by treating my collection surface with food grade plastic. Water is CHEAP for me and for all my neighbors, and none of us are going to have to argue with each other over water. Water is a peaceful thing around here. Hell, the biggest problem we have with water is trying to get rid of it.

Consider spending years learning bushcraft, spending thousands of dollars on weapons and ammo, storing white rice and peanut butter and knives and backpacks, and running out of water on your third day. You would simply have to leave it all behind and walk to the water.
Although that's a pricier and more advanced route. I think one can start by being prepared to have to evacuate. That way you're not dependent on your house to survive.

I do not disagree that those are all good ideas though.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2010, 02:08 PM
bulrush's Avatar
bulrush bulrush is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 2,447
Thanks: 104
Thanked 1,362 Times in 791 Posts
Default

Try this page: http://home.comcast.net/~chuckr69/survkit.htm

It has ideas about modular bug out bag kits. It starts with a basic kit, then you add on kits based on where you are going. There are addon kits for the woods, for the car, etc. These kits are designed as a starting point. Add what you want, drop things you don't want.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2010, 02:09 PM
VINCENT's Avatar
VINCENT VINCENT is offline
Pull up your Dora panties
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: lake county, florida
Posts: 7,377
Thanks: 20,408
Thanked 16,768 Times in 4,526 Posts
Default

my vote is home and BOB. stock lots of canned food and water plus emergency supplies for home. but dont forget or over look setting up a BOB. its just what it says it is. its for bugging out. for when home cant be home anymore, or for when you need to get home.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2010, 02:20 PM
|eric| |eric| is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,130
Thanks: 242
Thanked 405 Times in 271 Posts
Default

start with the search button .
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2010, 02:30 PM
OhioMan's Avatar
OhioMan OhioMan is offline
It's ok to be white
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 32,795
Thanks: 93,569
Thanked 93,529 Times in 24,613 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
Hi everyone, i was wondering what some basic preparations I should take to prepare for when SHTF. I love being in the outdoors and solo camping but im not an expert, I have shot guns, bows, slingshots so I am not completely new to things.

So basically i am asking everyone what should I do to prepare myself!!!
I agree with MikeK's answer, start with the stickied threads. Determine what you are preparing for and if you are planning to leave your home or stay there etc..

There lot's of varitibles!

Good luck and welcome to the boards!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OhioMan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2010, 03:57 PM
TANSTAF1's Avatar
TANSTAF1 TANSTAF1 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Born in ME,in exile in MA
Posts: 2,742
Thanks: 922
Thanked 2,002 Times in 1,093 Posts
Default

Start by thinking about the most likely SHTF for your area: quakes, floods, hurricanes, blizzards, etc. and then the less likely ones. Categorize them as to whether you would try to stay in place or evacuate (or be forced to evacuate). Next think about the critical things that you would need to do for either and how you would do them. If you have to evacuate, where would you go and how would you get there (especially if the roads are blocked and the bridges down and there are ambush sites)? Do you have friends or relatives who would take you in? If staying in place, think about the critical things you need: water is first, then food. Make a list of them and prioritize ways to meet the need based on the cost and speed at which you can accomplish them. For instance while electrical power off a generator might be nice, generators are expensive and you have to be able to safely store gas/propane/diesel. Initially you can make do with flashlights and perhaps small solar battery chargers. If you need heat, and don't have a stove or fireplace and need to have power to run your furnace, then consider warm sleeping bags. Water is critical and when you do your research you will be surprised how much you need, so think about other ways to get/make potable water - filter or purify it from a nearby pond or stream - whatever.
Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks



Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Survivalist Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Gender
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net