Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 03-27-2020, 12:12 AM
Texas chooses people.

Thanked 2,572 Times in 1,149 Posts

Advertise Here

We should study the feasts of God instead of practicing the customs of men and the church system.
The next is Passover and Unleavened bread.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texas Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 12:28 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 17,547 Times in 4,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
The Holy day of Passover only coincides with Easter because that's about the time of Christ's resurrection. I don't believe it was "made to coincide" with pagan festivals.
FACT CHECK:

AJ is correct. The constant dissemination of the false narrative that the date of Easter was set to coincide with the pagan spring festival of "Ishtar" or some other pagan god has no basis in fact.

The First Ecumenical Council in Nicea in 325 AD set the date of Christ's resurrection based on the date of the Jewish Passover. Orthodox Easter always falls after the Catholic Easter and occasionally coinciding with it due to the Julian calendar being 13 days behind the Gregorian calendar.

CITE:
Why Is Easter Celebrated in Spring?

According to the Bible, Jesus Christ's death and resurrection occurred at the time of the Jewish Passover, which was celebrated on the first Full Moon following the vernal equinox. This soon led to Christians celebrating Easter on different dates. At the end of the 2nd century, some congregations celebrated Easter on the day of the Passover, while others celebrated it on the following Sunday.

In 325 CE, the Council of Nicaea established that Easter would be held on the first Sunday after the first Full Moon occurring on or after the vernal equinox. (*) From that point forward, the Easter date depended on the ecclesiastical approximation of March 21 for the vernal equinox.

Orthodox Easter

Not all Christians observe Easter according to the Gregorian calendar. Most Orthodox Christians still observe Easter under the Julian calendar.

The Gregorian calendar was created because the Julian calendar was slightly too long. With the Julian calendar, the equinox date moved towards the earlier dates of March and further away from Easter Sunday. The introduction of the Gregorian calendar allowed for a realignment with the equinox.

https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar...ster-date.html
Old 03-27-2020, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off-Grid View Post
Really? Let me know what part was fake so we can discuss it.

Do catholics like to have the kids collect eggs from a magic rabbit for this occasion?
FACT CHECK:

The Eastern Orthodox Church (and Roman Catholic Church) have nothing in their dogma or services about "a magic rabbit" who distributes eggs, chocolate or otherwise.

It is disingenuous to exploit secular and commercial practices as a weapon and imply they have anything to do with the Church.

The same can be said for Santa Claus, his magic reindeer, and worker elves. These are secular and commercial stories for children that have nothing to do with the dogma and practices of the Church.

If there is going to be a fair evaluation of Easter (Pascha) or Christmas then the secular practices should be separated from Church dogma.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:05 AM
It's ok to be white

Thanked 93,635 Times in 24,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batko10 View Post
FACT CHECK:

The Eastern Orthodox Church (and Roman Catholic Church) have nothing in their dogma or services about "a magic rabbit" who distributes eggs, chocolate or otherwise.

It is disingenuous to exploit secular and commercial practices as a weapon and imply they have anything to do with the Church.

The same can be said for Santa Claus, his magic reindeer, and worker elves. These are secular and commercial stories for children that have nothing to do with the dogma and practices of the Church.

If there is going to be a fair evaluation of Easter (Pascha) or Christmas then the secular practices should be separated from Church dogma.
That's a good point. Many of these practices are in fact secular driven and aren't endorsed by any church that I'm aware of.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OhioMan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 06:25 AM
Deplorable On Steroids

Thanked 65,500 Times in 21,794 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterEnergy View Post
Then you are unaware of the Pagan determination of Easter, not a day of a month but relative to the Spring Equinox.

That has zero bearing on the case. Christ was seized, crucified, buried, then resurrected from the grave at a particular time. It's not like He asked the Pharisees to wait for a few days before crucifying Him so that His death would coincide with pagan Easter. That's sorta silly. Don'tcha think?
Old 03-27-2020, 06:29 AM
Deplorable On Steroids

Thanked 65,500 Times in 21,794 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Fire View Post
We should study the feasts of God instead of practicing the customs of men and the church system.

You likely have a good point but I don't think it would hurt to honor Christ at any time of the year and for any reason. If we're blessed with a new baby -- thank Him. If we have plenty of food and water -- thank Him. If it's spring, summer, fall, or winter -- thank Him.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:45 AM
M.R. Ducks

Thanked 23,511 Times in 10,402 Posts

Quote:
Then you are unaware of the Pagan determination of Easter, not a day of a month but relative to the Spring Equinox.
The complicated formula for calculating on which day to celebrate Easter comes from reconciling Passover, a date in the Hebrew lunar based calendar with the Roman solar based calendar, and then meeting the requirements that it fall on a Sunday in the Spring. The association with the Equinox isn’t especially pagan... it’s just the mechanism to assure Easter is a springtime celebration.

Having said that, the manner in which we celebrate Easter is greatly influenced by the manner in which Europeans celebrated their pagan springtime festivals, just as Christmas was influenced by solstice celebrations. American culture is greatly influenced by English and Germanic cultures. These folks maintained their pagan faiths longer than much of the rest of Europe. They were not going to give up their Yule logs and “Eosturmonath” rabbits just because some priest from Rome said they should.

This brings us to the English word “Easter.” It’s unlikely that it comes directly from the name of the goddess “Ishtar.” She was a Middle Eastern deity with a following in Rome during the 1st Century, but there’s not a lot of evidence she was popular in Britain. However, there was a goddess with the Old English name of Eostre who was associated with the springtime celebration. That’s more likely to be root of the English word, Easter.

Last edited by LibShooter; 03-27-2020 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: Typo
The Following User Says Thank You to LibShooter For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 07:32 AM
It's ok to be white

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
You likely have a good point but I don't think it would hurt to honor Christ at any time of the year and for any reason. If we're blessed with a new baby -- thank Him. If we have plenty of food and water -- thank Him. If it's spring, summer, fall, or winter -- thank Him.
Excellent point, Monday-Sunday is always a good time to thank Him or celebrate what we have been given.

(Psalm 34:1) I will extol the LORD at all times; his praise will always be on my lips.
The Following User Says Thank You to OhioMan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 08:00 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Fire View Post
That's always been YHWH's plan...His timeline all laid out according to His feast cycles. The Spring feasts have been accomplished; the Fall feasts are yet to be fulfilled. The churches have lost sight of this and replaced them with man-made junk instead. Won't they be surprised when He returns...right on His schedule!
Old 03-27-2020, 08:26 AM
It's ok to be white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off-Grid View Post
That's always been YHWH's plan...His timeline all laid out according to His feast cycles. The Spring feasts have been accomplished; the Fall feasts are yet to be fulfilled. The churches have lost sight of this and replaced them with man-made junk instead. Won't they be surprised when He returns...right on His schedule!
So true! I would really enjoy a great thread on the feasts and their meaning. I was just reading about ancient Israel, after the high priest sacrificed the bull and goat for the sins of the people, a second goat, known as the scapegoat, was taken by the high priest. He would lay both hands on its head and confess over it all the wickedness and rebellion of the Israelites and put them on the goat's head. He would then send the goat away into the desert to a solitary place. (Leviticus 16:20-22) just WOW!

The rich symbolism is just mind blowing!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OhioMan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 09:33 AM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 34,777 Times in 12,155 Posts

Quote:
FACT CHECK:The constant dissemination of the false narrative that the date of Easter was set to coincide with the pagan spring festival of "Ishtar" or some other pagan god has no basis in fact.
Sure there is a basis in fact of Easter set to coincide with the pagan spring festival of "Ishtar." And I've already explained it.

In Numbers, there are all sorts of festivals - including celebrating Passover - tied directly to a specific day of a specific month. Easter is not so determined. Easter is tied to the Pagan celebration of the Spring Equinox. Something like the Sunday after or 2 Sunday's after the Pagan celebration of the Spring Equinox.

So, proof that Easter is tied to the Pagan ritual is the fact that the date to celebrate Easter changes every year but the day does not (always Sunday). Easter is the most important movable feast in Christianity. How is the date determined each year?
Easter falls on the first Sunday after the Full Moon date, based on mathematical calculations, that falls on or after March 21. If the Full Moon is on a Sunday, Easter is celebrated on the following Sunday.
Quote:
The First Ecumenical Council in Nicea in 325 AD set the date of Christ's resurrection based on the date of the Jewish Passover.
There you go again, pretending something the 'early church fathers' said or did is equal or superior to Scripture. See Numbers 9:2-3. But since you are such a smarty pants, perhaps you can enlighten us; what does the Spring Equinox have to do with Christian theology?

I don't know what month coincides with the 1st month in the Hebrew calendar (perhaps April) but Scripture does not command the celebration to be movable. Next, you'll be telling us the Easter celebration begins at sunset as Numbers dictates, i.e., the beginning of the 'Jewish day.' But I know many here say the OT does not matter anyway. Does Scripture call this a Jewish time or is it the time commanded by God?

So, what we see here is so-called believers disregarding the word of God - disregarding the month, day and time of day to begin celebrating Passover. On top of that, 3 days and 3 nights added, when to celebrate Easter! Guess what? Passover + 3 days and 3 nights ≠ Sunday all the time.

The Lord spoke to Moses in the Desert of Sinai. It was the first month of the second year after the people came out of Egypt. He said, 2 “Tell the Israelites to celebrate the Passover Feast. Have them do it at the appointed time. 3 Celebrate it when the sun goes down on the 14th day of this month. Obey all its rules and laws.”
Numbers 9:1-3 (NIRV)
Old 03-27-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Sure there is a basis in fact of Easter set to coincide with the pagan spring festival of "Ishtar." And I've already explained it. ...

]
Your position comes from the belief system of a non-Christian, i.e. you admit that you do NOT believe in the divinity of Christ.

The date of the celebration of the Resurrection of Christ was always tied to the Jewish Passover, NOT the festival of "Ishtar." The First Ecumenical Council in Nicea in 325 AD just confirmed this tie and cleared up the confusion some Christians were experiencing regarding the date.

BTW, whether you call it Easter as in the West or Pascha as we do in the East, it is still the celebration of Christ's Resurrection and victory over death and cleansing of our sins. You are welcome to believe this or not, but vainly trying to discredit the Resurrection of Christ by tying it to paganism is disingenuous and reveals your anti-Christian disposition.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Your position comes from ...
Numbers 9:1-3.

Quote:
vainly trying to discredit the Resurrection of Christ by tying it to paganism is disingenuous and reveals your anti-Christian disposition.
Poison The Well. I believe in the Resurrection. It's the timing of the celebration that is being discussed, which shows its pagan connections.

Humbling my ego and submitting to Scripture is the precise opposite of vain. Projecting again!
Be prudent, always. Worry, never. Jer 15:16
Old 03-27-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
...I believe in the Resurrection. It's the timing of the celebration that is being discussed, which shows its pagan connections. ...
Well, then it's my mistake. Based on your past posts I understood that you considered Christ a mortal prophet and subscribed to the Tolstoyan view of Christianity which agrees with that point of view.

So, in fact, you believe that Christ is divine?
Old 03-27-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Well, then it's my mistake. Based on your past posts I understood that you considered Christ a mortal prophet and subscribed to the Tolstoyan view of Christianity which agrees with that point of view.

So, in fact, you believe that Christ was divine?
Look at you making another attempt at Poisoning The Well. My beliefs have not changed and have nothing to do with the Pagan timing of Easter.

You cannot Scripturally address my previous post on the month, day, time of day and counting 3 full nights and 3 full days in no way leads one always to Sunday.

That's why you have to revert to the 'early church fathers,' what did you call it? A vain attempt to circumvent Scripture. Scripture says Jesus was the first person to be raised from the dead. Raised by God. God raised the lifeless corpse of his son. Jesus is not a phoenix, raising himself. His lifeless corpse did not act but was acted on. From this, Hebrews has several passages depicting Jesus as the High Priest (Hebrews 2:17; 3:1; 4:14-5:10; 6:20; 7:11-8:2; 10:12). The office of priest was an important one in the Old Testament system and is fulfilled by Jesus.

In the Jewish system, a priest mediated between the people and God.
So, the logic is inescapable. Jesus cannot be God because he is our mediator between us and God. Since you cannot even grasp the difference between an end and a middle, I cannot expect you to grasp the Pagan timing of Easter.

But there is an order to this resurrection: Christ was raised as the first of the harvest; then all who belong to Christ will be raised when he comes back.
1 Corinthians 15:23
Old 03-27-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Look at you making another attempt at Poisoning The Well. ...]
I'm not trying to poison anything and I am not arguing with you. I'm simply asking if you believe that Jesus Christ is divine or do you take the Tolstoyan view that he was mortal and a prophet????

It's a simple question.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I'm not trying to poison anything and I am not arguing with you. I'm simply asking if you believe that Jesus Christ is divine or do you take the Tolstoyan view that he was mortal and a prophet????

It's a simple question.
It's a simple question - to poison the well for your question is about me - and not the Scriptural support for the timing of Easter but the Pagan connection.
Be prudent, always. Worry, never. Jer 15:16
Old 03-27-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
It's a simple question - to poison the well for your question is about me...
If you prefer not to answer I will respect that and be forced to make the assumption that you believe that Christ was a mortal and merely a prophet.

However, since you inject yourself in every thread about Christianity it would behoove you to let Christians (of all denominations) know what your beliefs are regarding the divinity of Jesus Christ.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:22 PM
M.R. Ducks

Thanked 23,511 Times in 10,402 Posts

Quote:
In Numbers, there are all sorts of festivals - including celebrating Passover - tied directly to a specific day of a specific month. Easter is not so determined. Easter is tied to the Pagan celebration of the Spring Equinox. Something like the Sunday after or 2 Sunday's after the Pagan celebration of the Spring Equinox.
In this case, the Easter's connection with the vernal equinox show's its HEBREW roots, not pagan roots. The Bible sets Passover to begin on the 15th of Nissan. It does every single year. However, the 15th of Nissan on the Hebrew LUNAR calendar falls on a different day in March or April on our SOLAR calendar.

The Hebrew Lunar Calendar is 11 days shorter than the solar year. That means that if Passover occurred in April this year, it would happen in March three years later and in February three years after that. In just a few years, the springtime festival would happen in the middle of winter. Nobody wants that. The Hebrew calendar deals with this by adding an extra month when the lunar calendar gets 30 days behind the solar calendar. They use the Spring Equinox to determine when an extra month is added. Nothing pagan about that.

The early Christian Church needed to connect Easter to Passover, but had to communicate this with its European members who had no understanding of the Hebrew lunar calendar. They developed an algorithm that sets Easter around Passover time almost every year without having to directly refer to the Hebrew calendar.

Quote:
I don't know what month coincides with the 1st month in the Hebrew calendar (perhaps April) but Scripture does not command the celebration to be movable.
There's the problem. There is no month in the Gregorian calendar that directly coincides with any month in the Hebrew calendar.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LibShooter For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 03:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,900 Times in 1,961 Posts

__________________________________________________ ___________

Bunny cake

The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post: