Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If you could only have 3 items in your Wilderness Survival pack, what would it be? Chris22 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 263 02-25-2019 08:18 PM
Guidelines for the Wilderness survival, hiking and camping section kev Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 125 07-20-2018 05:52 AM
Wilderness Survival Vs. Going Camping plantguy Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 52 03-29-2016 10:43 AM
Wilderness Camping/Hiking with a disability Medic73 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 12 02-26-2015 03:59 PM
The Wilderness Survival/Camping/Hiking Gear-Swap Thread! twyggy Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 131 01-18-2014 11:25 PM
Wilderness Survival/Hiking/Camping Rules Reminder Potantsuem Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 1 12-27-2012 01:35 PM
Hiking, Camping and Wilderness Winter Survival Items ?? ehg3322 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 12 08-12-2011 12:25 PM
hiking and wilderness survival BSAScouter Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 2 01-06-2011 11:11 PM

Old 04-16-2015, 10:24 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 10,983 Times in 5,386 Posts

Advertise Here

Imagine delivering a baby in a lean to with no one around.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2015, 10:19 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 12,665 Times in 4,134 Posts

Old 04-25-2015, 10:56 PM

Camelbak BFM w/ 2-way rain cover
Fallkniven A1 knife
Titanium canteen w/ cup & lid
Minimal 1st aid kit:
Tourniquet
6" Israeli bandage
Sliver gripper tweezers
Quikclot sponge
Moleskin
3m bandages
Superglue
Bic lighter
100' 550 paracord
ENO Jungle Hammock
Poncho & liner
Leatherman Rebar
StormProof Matches
Galco pocket magnifying glass
Cotton balls w/ vaseline in ziploc bag
Lifestraw
Water purification tablets
Vortex Razor HD 8x42 bino
Spare prescription glasses/sunglasses
2x bandanas
1lb. Chia seeds
3 MRE's
1lb. Jerky
beef/chx bullion

Last edited by DetroitVet; 04-25-2015 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: misspelled
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DetroitVet For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2015, 08:30 AM

I'm just starting my pack and ordering it next week. What would be best for southeast tn. Thanks in advance
Old 05-12-2015, 05:53 AM

Main items include
Knife
Ferrocerium Rod
Canteen / Water depends where i am
Camera for filming
Axe
Rope
Hammock

And i can survive for quite some time using the natural recourses around me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExtremeOutdoorsDN For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshp View Post
I'm just starting my pack and ordering it next week. What would be best for southeast tn. Thanks in advance
I spend a lot of time in the Smokies and the Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock & Citigo Creek Wilderness areas and find the Osprey Kestrel 28 perfect for dayhikes. I always carry everything I would need to survive for a few days should something untoward arise. The Kestrel is roomy enough to carry my survival gear but small enough to allow me to maneuver through difficult terrain. It is also very comfortable. If you are looking for something other than a day pack, the Kestrel comes in many sizes, both larger and smaller, and they all live up to Osprey's reputation for quality and durability.

On a side note, I have read through this thread over he last several days and wish to take issue with those who disdain the carrying of a GPS. First of all, I spent a total of 26 years in the infantry, 23 as an officer, and can certainly use a map and compass with the best of them. They are my primary means of navigation while in the woods but I also carry the best gear I can find to help me survive in the wilderness should an emergency occur. As I often travel alone and have several health issues, I find that having a GPS gives me peace of mind because I also carry an Iridium 9505a sat phone and, should the need arise, can give rescuers my exact location within a few feet. I would hate to wake up at 0100 hours with chest pains and try to distinguish landmarks and take bearings.

Just yesterday, I also ordered a ACR ResQLink personal locator beacon as a backup. Most of my emergency preparations are nothing if not redundant. The same ones will probably also balk at this use of technology but I don't really care, you don't have to carry it...I do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coastwatcher42 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2015, 01:27 PM

Great advice Kev! Absolute essentials!
Old 07-14-2015, 02:51 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 21,405 Times in 6,762 Posts

Circa 1900 alcohol burner.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bunkerbuster For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2015, 09:52 AM

Detroitvet, have you looked into the Sawyer mini filter as an option for water filtration. It filters at a smaller micron and does up to 100,000 gallows. It is shorter, with the same size diameter, and wright as the Lifestraw. It even cost the same. I have both and truly love the Sawyer over the Lifestraw, as it has more ways to be used and will provide more filtered water.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:53 AM

Bunkerbuster, nice burner. I would love to find one like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to EWillMoore For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2015, 10:01 AM

Joshp, I recommend having a pocket guide to wild edibles for your region in your pack, as well as a Sawyer mini water filter, a good fero rod/ fire kit. A high quality high carbon steel knife with crisp edges on the spine can be used to throw sparks with a rock containing quart in a pinch to start a fire.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:12 AM

coasteatcher42, I agree with carrying the best gear possible and have a hand held gps, and alternate communications in case of emergencies like you speak of. My main way to navigate is a compass and topo map, but it's always good to have pin pint precision with a handheld gps in emergency situations.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:20 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 21,405 Times in 6,762 Posts

Wandering through the local 99 cent store, came across a tiny solar rechargeable mini light.
Bought one, took it home, sat in sun light for awhile to charge.
Little bugger works like a champ.
Went back the following day & bought 9 more to stow in family outdoor gear.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bunkerbuster For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2015, 08:32 PM

I am preparing to go on my first backpacking hike with my son on the AT starting at Mt. Springer in Georgia this fall. I am a 63 year old grandma trying to get in shape and figuring out what I really need to take for about 4 days/ 3 nights on the trail. We have camped many times, but backpacking for that long is a new one for me. Thanks for publishing all the lists. I am going to look, compare, and see what I can fit into my minimal budget.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:36 AM

lose the glasses
Old 10-13-2015, 02:28 AM

Small game snap traps.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:29 AM

That is awesome lol!
Old 10-18-2015, 04:08 AM

Okay I understand why someone would bring a lot of stuff for survival if they were intentionally going somewhere. I believe however that the general idea about survival is that it is not planned. Therefore in the end one should be able to make do with a cutting tool, a flint and a means to hold water. The idea I believe is that the more you know about survival, the less you need.
The Following User Says Thank You to umetnik For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2015, 11:00 AM

I think the first step it to identify what you are actually doing, and then figure out what you need from there. As the thread title says: Hiking, Camping, Wilderness. Defining what you are actually doing plays a big role in what you need.

My background would come from the Wilderness side of things. I love being out in the bush, hunting and so forth. So, when I go hunting, I carry my survival kit, which packs into a small camera belt case about 2x3x5" in size. The kit is jammed packed with items, like a fishing kit, first aid kit, big orange garbage bag, emergency blanket, whistle, rope, matches, fire starter, pencil sharpener, duct tape, flagging tape, etc. I also carry a good knife, a Leatherman, and a stainless steel water bottle. And of course, my hunting gear itself. So if something happens, I'm prepared to make a shelter, make a fire, boil water, and spend a couple nights in the wilderness.

Now, I also have gotten into hiking/backpacking. I'm currently planning a trip that takes 4-5 days, and it's going to be CUDS (constant ups & downs), so pack weight is a concern and I've been working on getting the weight down with what I have. At first, when packing up stuff, in went my survival kit with the gear. Then when reducing weight, out it came. I don't need it anymore. I have a tent, so no need for shelter. I have a small mess kit & stove, so don't need the heavy water bottle. Don't need the larger hunting knife I carry, and really don't need the Leatherman, although it could come in handy. Most all of the backpacking gear is already luxury survival items. When it came down to it, I ended up dropping in some matches/firestarter, small knife, and a whistle.

Camping is like another step up from hiking, as usually a vehicle can be used, so more luxury gear can be brought. The survival items become less important because a lot of the needs are already taken care of, but it's similar to the same effect as the hiking.

Now, if I was going to go on a hiking trip where I may set up the tent in an area for a couple days and do some day hikes from there, then I would include my survival kit so I could use it for those hikes in case something happens and I can't get back to the tent. Again, it's all about identifying what you are planning to do, and of course knowing your gear and what you can and can't do with it.

Of course, GPS, map & compass are never forgotten.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:23 PM

Default Hiking and camping Desert style

This is a real good idea for a thread! In my old age I seem to be more comfortable in the desert than in the woods. Looking at some of the things you all have for the forests I can see that we carry much of the same things.
In the desert of the southwest though, I always carry at least a three day supply of food and as much water as I can carry. Depending on where I am hiking and the season, I might forego the tent and add more water.
I would never carry anything heavy that can be replaced by something else that is smaller, such as pans. Usually I carry one small pan to cook on.
If I were on an extended trip, I would still keep the same rules, but the tent would go with me.
One thing for sure. When hiking or camping, it is a real good idea to take camps, compass, and be familiar with the layout of the area. I think this would be the case no matter where you are.