Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If you could only have 3 items in your Wilderness Survival pack, what would it be? Chris22 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 263 02-25-2019 08:18 PM
Guidelines for the Wilderness survival, hiking and camping section kev Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 125 07-20-2018 05:52 AM
Wilderness Survival Vs. Going Camping plantguy Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 52 03-29-2016 10:43 AM
Wilderness Camping/Hiking with a disability Medic73 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 12 02-26-2015 03:59 PM
The Wilderness Survival/Camping/Hiking Gear-Swap Thread! twyggy Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 131 01-18-2014 11:25 PM
Wilderness Survival/Hiking/Camping Rules Reminder Potantsuem Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 1 12-27-2012 01:35 PM
Hiking, Camping and Wilderness Winter Survival Items ?? ehg3322 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 12 08-12-2011 12:25 PM
hiking and wilderness survival BSAScouter Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 2 01-06-2011 11:11 PM

Old 02-01-2013, 04:58 PM

Advertise Here

I really need a good saw and an axe here in Norway. Difficult to maintain a fire in the cold without.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Norseman65 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2013, 05:01 PM

Must it be 3 different means to make fire? Many mentions that. Cant it be just 3 lighters? :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to Norseman65 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2013, 05:56 PM

sounds like a plan to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 04:25 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norseman65 View Post
Must it be 3 different means to make fire? Many mentions that. Cant it be just 3 lighters? :-)
A little bit of water, and a lighter is dead for awhile. The three forms of fire are for when you cannot use one of the other two, or when it is better suited for one.

A magnifying glass and char, for instance, works great and uses few resources. However it only works when the sun is out and conditions are dry. (Char absorbs water quickly)

Flint and steel work great unless it is wet out. (See above)

Ferro rods work great in most conditions, but will eventually be used up and are an irreplaceable resource.

Friction techniques are great and use no irreplaceable resources, yet are almost worthless when it is even damp out.

A lighter generally runs out of flint before it runs out of fluid, then it is a piece of plastic and is an irreplaceable resource.

Matches are used up far too fast to be practical for any length of time and are irreplaceable resources.

Any one item can get lost or broken, otherwise a large 1/2" X 6" ferro rod would be a good one item carry.

For three items I would suggest magnifier and char (when it is sunny and you are in a hurry), flint and steel (overcast and in hurry), and ferrocerium rod for when all else fails.

You can always build a friction set for when you are not in a hurry.

Lighter: Camping trip? Great tool. Survival? Unreliable and quickly expended.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:29 AM
Target Shooter

For many, consider a 100 meter spool of 100lb test spectra braid fishing line. Snares, fishing line, bowstring, ultra tough cordage in an extremely long length, in a small space with light weight. Half a millimeter in diameter. The spool interior can be packed with your fishing stuff. (hooks/weights)

Just a thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to pauldude000 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2013, 02:32 AM

Nice touch on the edible plants, lots of folks don't even think about that!
Old 02-16-2013, 12:09 PM
Goonies Never Say Die

Quote:
I really need a good saw and an axe here in Norway. Difficult to maintain a fire in the cold without.
For a good saw look at the Gerber Gator III. It breaks down nicely, comes with a coarse and fine blades. The coarse blade is like a chainsaw type blade that rolls up nicely and comes with 2 hooks so you can use it as a handsaw if you want to lighten your load
http://www.gerbergear.com/Outdoor/Ge...w-III_22-41514

As for an axe, I use the Riflemans Hawk tomahawk from Cold Steel. It's heavier than a traditional camping hatchet, but way lighter than a traditional axe. I can split some decent size logs with it, using a little bit of effort, but overall it does a good job.
http://www.coldsteel.com/category/7_1/Tomahawks.aspx
Old 02-16-2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:
I just got my Sven Saw in the mail today and cut a few logs at work to test it out. Like butter! Heading out camping Wednesday. It's less than a pound and a friend of mine had a huge pile of firewood with it during his 2 week backpacking trip.
The Following User Says Thank You to usmc3166 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2013, 11:09 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,031 Times in 3,542 Posts
Default Chest Pack

Carries a rangefinder (also used as optics), a leatherman wave, a fire steel and a wound clot / closure kit in addition to fishing items.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:04 PM
Outdoor enthusiast...

cool little kit! Is that a good ferro rod?
Old 02-28-2013, 01:52 AM

Heres my bug out bag and all its contents:

http://roflzone.american-forum.net/t2322-my-bug-out-bag

I also have a .22 rifle and switch blade which aren't listed
Old 02-28-2013, 08:48 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Lighter: Camping trip? Great tool. Survival? Unreliable and quickly expended.
Huh? Ask any smoker and they will tell you that a lighter will last for about three months, and thats being used about 20 times a day.
How long do you expect to be in a survival situation for?
You will starve to death before your ligher runs out.

Quote:
also if your dog is with you on trips you can buy him a Paracord dog collar and if needed you have up to 50ft of survival paracord
And what do you need 50 ft of paracord for?
To survive you just need food and water, and in some areas you need warmth, not necessarily shelter, maybe just a warm sleeping bag.
And don't forget survival is not living for extended periods of time in the wilds, it's just surviving long enough until you make it out or are found, maybe just a few days.
I think I could survive for a week without 50 ft of paracord.
And forget about making snares; Bear Grills never caught anything in his snares.
If you are ever in a true survival situation and you don't have a gun, then eat insects, they have 4 times as much protein as beef.
Without a gun that's about all you will find to eat.
The Following User Says Thank You to MagicPuff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2013, 07:54 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
And what do you need 50 ft of paracord for? To survive you just need food and water, and in some areas you need warmth, not necessarily shelter, maybe just a warm sleeping bag. And don't forget survival is not living for extended periods of time in the wilds, it's just surviving long enough until you make it out or are found, maybe just a few days. I think I could survive for a week without 50 ft of paracord. And forget about making snares; Bear Grills never caught anything in his snares. If you are ever in a true survival situation and you don't have a gun, then eat insects, they have 4 times as much protein as beef. Without a gun that's about all you will find to eat.
wow, I don't know where to start with your statements. Do you actually believe all of what you said? Do you really think everywhere , all over the world, no matter what the situation, no matter who you are, it will only be a "few days" ? Because Bear Grylls never caught anything, nobody, no one EVER caught anything and if you don't have a gun you'll NEVER eat meat and will ALWAYS eat insects?

You're not a real person are you? You're just someone we know who said that to keep this thread going right?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marineguy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2013, 08:49 AM
Target Shooter

Usually try to avoid feeding the trolls
Old 03-07-2013, 09:56 AM
Target Shooter

Default My Woods-Runnin' Bag

Old 03-16-2013, 09:21 AM

I spend a good deal of time down in Gunnison National in Southern/South-Western Colorado where you may well not see another human for a week at a time and we generally fish up 1/2 the food we consume - my packout looks about like this:

Fieldline Tactical ODS Field Day Pack
Eureka Solitaire tent (if alone, if not we have a Kelty 2-person)
.45 1911 pistol (for any rabid possibilities...like bear or mountain lion)
.22lr pistol (for something I could actually eat without a crew of skinners)
Ka-Bar USMC knife (it ain't just for combat anymore!)
Thermal long-johns, Collapsing fishing reel, pnchos, hand warmers, couple facecloths, duct tape, few trash bags with matches, lighters, zip locks, deck of cards, some braodheads if I should need to fashion spears / arrows / etc., little solar power station with a weather radio and mini-CB radio, road flares, jetboil and small mess kit, a few MRE's in the truck and about 10 packs of ramen + an el-cheapo water UV light filter thingy. I also have my SAS Survival guide, the topograph maps for Gunnison and surrounding, compass, small canteen, and first aid kit (tiny one for my bag) - and Beyond this I can pretty much get by, I would carry all of this with me if trekking VERY deep into the wood and far away from the truck. In the truck I keep a number of other items like my regular CB Radio, a battery jump-start, extra clothes, blankets, ammo, a 30-06 rifle, and of course more food!
Old 04-06-2013, 12:50 AM
Target Shooter

Talking

Quote:
Well if it's 3 submerged, soaking lighters then no
Old 04-08-2013, 09:44 AM

Ok I have read the whole post, the only thing I might ad is a yellow greese marker. Thanks to everyone for some great ideas.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:41 PM
Target Shooter

I couldn't resist this one. Space wise, it takes up very little room. I found a camo umbrella. All by itself, it's pretty useful but if combined with your regular shelter parts and pieces, it's VERY useful. Think about it, it has its own structure and can be laid across two branches or your tarp can be thrown over it giving you center elevation point for rain runoff. I think it's a no-brainer to last out the quick sun showers. Makes a great door or wind blocker on the sides of a shelter too and easily relocated to where I need it. . I'm going to cut an emergency blanket to line the inside and make a parabolic heat reflector for fires. Maybe I'll add an Emergency Orange colored one? Please leave feedback good/bad for those just joining or newbies.

http://www.sav-on-closeouts.com/Open...oduct_id=24667

also, a bigger 42 inch windproof one

http://www.sav-on-closeouts.com/Open...oduct_id=24503
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marineguy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2013, 01:18 PM

I carry one in my pack they are great, I have the biggest one I could find that is collapsable. If it's not too windy I open it and stick the handle in my pack and keep walking. I like your idea of lining it with a space blanket, I will have to look into that.