Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camera Land is now a Flir / Armasight Authorized Dealer gr8fuldoug Camera Land 0 06-20-2017 02:07 PM
For those thinking about buying a Springfield or Rock River Arms Kalashnikov47 General Discussion 6 04-30-2017 12:00 PM

Old 09-03-2017, 01:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,052 Times in 3,042 Posts
Default Thinking of buying 4runner TRD Pro

Advertise Here

a dealer down the street from me is selling a 2016 4runner TRD Pro with 9,500 miles on it with an asking price of $42,800. Thinking of putting in an offer. Anyone have any recommendations or warnings about these 4runners?
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2017, 08:49 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,499 Times in 792 Posts

4runners were on our short list. I'd read that they might be moving away from body on frame suspensions at some point but am unsure of if or when that was actually going to happen. Otherwise they are solid vehicles.

According to the Toyota website, a new, well equipped 2018 TRD Pro is $42,600.

https://www.toyota.com/configurator/...kages/option12

If you're set on that particular 4runner, build a new model similar to what's on the lot then print the build sheet and show it to them.

Otherwise, just custom build one for the same price. It generally doesn't take more than 2-3 months from order to delivery.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to subvetssn For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 09:19 AM

Maybe a 4runner is great for you, but I feel like you could get quite a rig that would be able to do a lot more and be just as comfortable for 42k. Thats just my personal opinion, maybe a 4runner would be the bees knees for you and yours.
The Following User Says Thank You to WoodHavenHunter For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2017, 10:09 AM

I owned a 1996 4Runner, and when the Wisconsin road salt ate much of it, I got a 2006 4Runner.

The '96 had 275,000 miles on it when I sold it, and my current '06 has 260,000. I have been quite pleased with both of them, and will probably buy another if I don't step up to a Land Cruiser. Neither 4Runner ever really let me down. Even when the starter went out on the '96, it gave me ample warning...I just ignored it for months!

Issues:

-Both trucks had an issue with coil packs. It was a cheap, fast and easy fix.

-'96 had a starter go out

-'06 eats brakes. I could be a crappy driver, it could be due to the vehicle stability control, traction control (pseudo limited slip differential) or some other reason. I put front rotors and pads in every 6-9 months. Had to replace one caliper. Luckily, this is also cheap, fast and easy to do yourself.

So in short, I recommend them. My personal opinion is that they are worth the premium you will pay over a Ford Explorer or Chevy Blazer. Especially if you plan to keep it until north of 200,000 miles.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
The Following User Says Thank You to AGreyMan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 10:39 AM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 30,188 Times in 9,940 Posts

Great truck... the only thing I would say, is don't go put large tires on them. I wouldn't go any larger than 33's because 35's really screw with the suspension and handling.
The Following User Says Thank You to America's Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 11:08 PM
Prepared

Thanked 18,709 Times in 8,567 Posts

Got a 2017 4Runner here. Didn't see the reason to go TRD. But I'm 90% pavement. Very pleased with the rig, I may upgrade the tires when it comes time. Don't need anything else.
The Following User Says Thank You to aramchek For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2017, 12:10 AM
Crazy

Thanked 10,535 Times in 3,424 Posts

I almost went with a 2017 4runner but at the last minute I with tacoma long bed.
Cant go wrong with a Toyota. Some times I wish I had went 4runner when I am on vacations and trips, but the other 45 weeks of the year I like the truck bed.
The Following User Says Thank You to John_Auberry For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Auberry View Post

Nice Taco!! It's what i'd buy for our next vehicle.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to badgerland For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2017, 03:58 PM
Crazy

Thanked 10,535 Times in 3,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerland View Post
Nice Taco!! It's what i'd buy for our next vehicle.
4x4 and 22 mpg, I love it
The Following User Says Thank You to John_Auberry For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 04:28 AM
Prepared

I have a 2011 4runner same engine 110000 miles.only had to replace headlight bulb and tail light bulb.one battery and a brake job not bad. Also getting 21.5 miles per gallon. Two wheel drive.
The Following User Says Thank You to simpleman7923 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 06:24 AM

I have a '91 4Runner. 260,000 miles on it. Only had to replace the clutch once and front brake pads about every 50k. Maybe 2 sets of plugs and a set of plug wires. That's it. Best car I've ever owned. Bought it brand new for 12k. Still runs perfectly.

Those TRD Pros look pretty sweet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Darwin Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 12:16 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,005 Times in 4,063 Posts

Would love a new 4Runner can't stomach $42k for a vehicle though.
Can buy a house for that in certain parts of MO.
The Following User Says Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2020, 10:30 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobs View Post
Would love a new 4Runner can't stomach $42k for a vehicle though.
Can buy a house for that in certain parts of MO.
Well, since I posted here last my 2017 4Runner SR5 now has less than 2 years of payments left, well under 100K, and runs like new. Not for sale. I haven't even needed to replace the tires yet, but may move to something more aggressive when the time comes.

As someone else mentioned, I did need to replace a headlight. Cost me about $8, replaced it in a parking lot (no tools needed). That was my only out-of-pocket expense.

No regrets, but there was a bit of initial sticker shock.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:16 PM
Prepared

My daughter has a ‘96 4Runner. It has almost 400,000 miles on it. Her road is 5 miles of the worst dirt road I’ve ever seen and we live on a gravel road that gets pretty bad in the winter so that’s saying something. She keeps driving it because she loves it so much. She drives almost 2 hours every day to town and back. When the car finally dies she will get another 4Runner.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:17 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 20,449 Times in 6,021 Posts

Toyota?
4x4?

Hard to go wrong.

But dang...they charge a lot for the newish ones.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 04:52 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,005 Times in 4,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramchek View Post
Well, since I posted here last my 2017 4Runner SR5 now has less than 2 years of payments left, well under 100K, and runs like new. Not for sale. I haven't even needed to replace the tires yet, but may move to something more aggressive when the time comes.

As someone else mentioned, I did need to replace a headlight. Cost me about $8, replaced it in a parking lot (no tools needed). That was my only out-of-pocket expense.

No regrets, but there was a bit of initial sticker shock.
I picked up a 19 last year. Love it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Down by the river.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	299318  
The Following User Says Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 06:09 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
Toyota?
4x4?

Hard to go wrong.

But dang...they charge a lot for the newish ones.
I did various kinds of math. The bottom-line for me was total cost of ownership for realistically driving 250-350K miles. With minimal maintenance cost or hassle, and high reliability.

If you buy new, and the premium for the extended warranty, you may initially be sticker-shocked. However, let's say you want a used 4Runner like mine is now. It's still going to sell for 75%+ of its new value. So long as you keep it well-maintained and completely insured, you can unload it at any time and get back a serious resale figure.

I wouldn't say the same about any used car. The 4Runner, in particular, doesn't sell cheap -- new or used. So the way I see it, one of the best new cars (and maybe the only new car to buy) is one with a high used resale value in its class. Funny thing is that the dealer keeps sending me offers to trade the car back in and get a new one again?

I suspect they don't just do this not just because they want to make money off me, but they have actuaries that compute the resale value of used 4Runners and they want to gobble them back up themselves.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:15 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 20,449 Times in 6,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramchek View Post
I did various kinds of math. The bottom-line for me was total cost of ownership for realistically driving 250-350K miles. With minimal maintenance cost or hassle, and high reliability.

If you buy new, and the premium for the extended warranty, you may initially be sticker shocked. However, let's say you want a used 4Runner like mine. It's still going to sell for 75%+ of its new value. So long as you keep it well-maintained and completely insured, you can unload it at any time and get back a serious resale figure.

I wouldn't say the same about any used car. The 4Runner, in particular, doesn't sell cheap -- new or used. So the way I see it, one of the best new cars (and maybe the only new car to buy) is one with a high used resale value in its class.
Sure, I just do it differently. I don't sell vehicles so resale is means nothing to me, by the time I'm done with them they are only worth scrap prices. I buy them cheap with high miles and S titles and drive them forever.

My Tundra I spent $3K on with 300K miles....but these are trucks that easily do 500k and have been known to do 1,000,000 miles with original engine and tranny.

Lifetime registration for $150, $200 a year to insure, I won't get any money back from it, but it costs very little to own.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:43 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 39,962 Times in 9,293 Posts

I cannot speak to the newer ones, but I have a Gen 4 with over 200,000 on the odometer, all original miles put on by me. I bought it brand new.

I give it 4.5 out of 5 stars as a nearly perfect SUV. I have been and will recommend looking for a Gen 4 variant. A lot less expensive by about 75%. $42,500 + tax and added expenses is a LOT of money and you're gaining very little if anything in added performance or longevity.

I'd strongly recommend looking for a 10-15 year old low mileage well-maintained V8 model. They're about 1/3rd of your budget. Very solid SUV.

Mine didn't have any expensive repairs until around 200k miles. In 16 years I've done normal maintenance plus:
* Water pump - defective under warranty
* Repack bearings around 100k miles
* Brake calipers at 200k
* Alternator at 200k
* Need to fix a leaky transfer case, pending repair

No real complaints; it's been a strong 4 wheel drive SUV that has done everything I've wanted in reliable comfort in any condition; mountains, highway, light offroad, camping, towing, hauling stuff, moving cross country, road trips, around town, ice, rain, snow, etc.

I'm on the hunt for another one or its pickup truck cousin.
The Following User Says Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 06:47 PM
Prepared

I bought my old '98 Jeep Cherokee used, 3 years old, about 44K miles. But I didn't quite get 295K miles, it blew a head gasket and was rusted to hell. I saved all the paperwork for the maintenance I had done on it (and the parts I replaced myself). In the 4-6 months before it finally died I spent $200 on a new muffler and $160 on a new battery. I got only $150 from the towing company that hauled that wreck out of my driveway. I saved it as a spare car, and something for my youngest son to drive.

If you live in a part of the country that doesn't get my kind of snow, or salt on the roads, then it's more reasonable to drive a car to the ground. It was the first and last Jeep I'll ever own. Loved it, and hated it. But I don't have the kind of time to be fixing cars that I'd wish, and need something that just goes bang when I pull the trigger every day, so to speak.

I bet the maintenance costs of my Jeep, over its lifespan, were at least half the price I paid for the vehicle.
The Following User Says Thank You to aramchek For This Useful Post: