Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 05-30-2017, 03:13 PM
Hunter

Default 4 piece rods fly rods vs. "pack rods"?

Advertise Here

If there are any fly fisherman on the forum, I was hoping to get your $0.02.

My friend and I are into mountain biking and fly fishing so we are exploring a bikepacking trip (backpacking via bike) to a river location where we would ride in, camp, fish, then ride out. None of the fly rods I own would be suitable for such a trip; all are 2 piece or 3 piece so the sections are too long to be safely packable.

I've been looking around at standard 4 piece rods, as well as "pack rods" that have a greater number of shorter sections (5 or more). I'm trying to lay out the pros and cons of a 4 piece rod vs. something like the Cabela's Stow Away 6 (6 pieces). Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with "packable" rods? Is a standard 4 piece fly rod packable enough?

I'm not backpacking or bikepacking all of the time, so I would want this rod to work well under more normal use so that is where I'm struggling with what would work best.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to zuren For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 09:29 PM

my $.02 worth. Having fly rods like some guys have guns here. I've got say ... typically the fewer sections the better. Each joint creates a 'dead spot' so to speak. There will be a lotta guys disputing that but think about its very structure and you'll realize it has to. You can really get caught up in the generational rods but for the dollar ... especially if you're not backpacking or bikepacking regularly you'll do great with a 4 pcs. I've a couple travel rods (6 pcs) but my got to rods are usually the 4 pcs ones If you're going for the monsters (steelhead/salmon) go 2 pcs. Otherwise I thinks the 4 pcs rods are the most convenient and versatile.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:37 PM
Wind

Thanked 1,743 Times in 773 Posts

A shorter rod would be less pieces also. Instead of a 8 footer go with a 6 foot rod perhaps. I grad pa's old rods were 6 or so an I fished just fine with them. Streams/rivers here are smaller than where you are maybe....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2017, 05:26 PM
Target Shooter

With the newer rods the "dead spots" are almost nonexistent. I have 2 piece, 4 piece, 6 piece and an 8 piece 9' 8wt. The 2 piece feels stiffer to cast than the 8 piece. Most of the time I am using a 4 piece for salt or fresh water. Any of the 4 piece 9' or less will backpack nicely. Tie it on the outside and hit the trail. I have a couple of convertible rods-the handle reverses from spin to fly. They are usually 5 piece and are fly castable, but not the greatest, yet not bad for spinning. Either a 4, 6, or convertible would be the best way to go. The convertibles are nice to use when the area won't allow a fly rod to be used. Plus with the spin option you get a larger selection of fishing methods- lures, artificial baits and hook/sinker. Just for the record a spin reel can be used on any fly rod, using any spin tackle. Makes it real fun when you catch something.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:17 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 33,903 Times in 9,542 Posts

I recommend buying a six piece pack rod, suited for small dry flys. A 7.5' rod with 12-15" rods sections should carry well.
Select the line wt to complement your existing rods, and consider overlining the rod if you experience high winds.
I use my Sage #6 for nymphs and streamers, and my #4 and #5 rods for dry flys. My #8 is a bass and pike rod.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:21 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Thanked 10,173 Times in 3,801 Posts

First off, yes, i'm a Major League Trout Stalker:

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...nc+fly+fishing

80% of my rods are 3-4 piece rods ,from my 7'6" 4wt, to my 10' 2wt competition rod...i have some 2 piece, mainly my glass rods, which i love....

i would suggest a 7'6" 3-4wt med action rod and a classic reel w 3wt weight forward floating line...Buy Rio, Scientific Anglers or Orvis line and put enough backing on reel so that is full when line is attached...this helps in retrieval...

this will let you cover all of your typical water and settings....

I have netted some hogs on this set up here in WNC...

here is my basic 4wt rod set up love it....

http://www.basspro.com/White-River-F...1112290501111/

http://www.basspro.com/White-River-F...1401170931243/

yes, it is packable in the right rod/reel tube case, i do it all the time...hell, i pack my 10' rod at times too....

pm me if you have other questions and welcome the club....

i netted this beauty on that 7'6" 4wt....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4472.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	210881  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PSYOP Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2017, 07:19 AM
Grumpy Old Bastard

Thanked 2,717 Times in 936 Posts

Eagle Claw used to put out a very neat fly rod/baitcaster combo in a 4 piece rod.

The eyelets were fly rod sized but, the trick was, the bottom section could be put on where the reel holder is either pointing down (as a fly rod) or it could be pointing at the next section.

They came in aluminum tubes with screw on caps.

I've managed to pick of 4 of them at yard sales (Only 3 had the tubes).

I used to carry the first one I found out into bush Alaska and always had it in my suitcase along with a small fly reel or a small baitcasting reel. Don't like the baitcasters, get a zebco 202 or one of the small push button and release to cast reels.

Get yourself a couple of plastic cigar tubes and put your tackle in there and they'll fit right in the tubes as well.

You can check places like Cabelas or Bass Pro shops but, I enjoy finding these treasures at yard sales.

Even found a couple of the old Ronco Pocket Fishermans, one in almost new condition and still in the box.

I'll be danged, the Ronco's are available at Wal-Mart and they're only $15.00?!?!

They even have a very small tackle storage area built right into the handle where you can put a small bobber, hooks, weights, and a couple of small lures.

Telescopic rods, I think I'll pass. They just feel too cheaply made to me. YMMV

Granted, if you're in Alaska and Mr King latches onto one of these, you're going to have little pieces and parts where your rod and reel used to be. But, for small pan fish, I don't see them getting beat.

Might even take a look on Cabelas at the Whuppin Sticks. 10' Crappie stick that telescopes down into 4 sections. The "reels" are nothing more than simple line holder and one mod we used to make back in Arkansas was to go up about 6" above the "reel" and drill a hole, then fish the string inside the pole and out the end. That way when you're moving around, your string doesn't catch on everything. Would be great for a cross tube on your bicycle.

Fun as heck to land a nice fat crappie with as well. Same as with the Pack Rods but, you're out a good bit more money if you can find a new one. Some folks at yard sales thing they're made of pure gold.. I've even seen them with a tag that says "Vintage Fishing Pole, $35.00"

I don't think I've ever paid more than $5.00 for the Eagle Claw rods at yard sales.

Found a decent Crappie Stick at Wal-Mart, can't hardly beat the price either.

Google this: South Bend Kwik Stix Telescopic Fishing Rod
Old 06-02-2017, 04:02 PM
Don't be dumb

Thanked 13,676 Times in 4,814 Posts

I had a 2-piece and currently fish with a 4-piece and hate it. Get the fewest number of sections to get the rod you want. More sections just leads to more things that can turn and mess up your cast.
The Following User Says Thank You to Runamok For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2017, 04:12 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runamok View Post
I had a 2-piece and currently fish with a 4-piece and hate it. Get the fewest number of sections to get the rod you want. More sections just leads to more things that can turn and mess up your cast.
Would you mind explaining further.

Please describe both the 2 pc and the 4 pc rods and comment on the action, the lines used, and the how you are fishing them.

Btw, I agree when it comes to using my 2 pc Fenwick #5 (relatively slow action) for casting dry flys using a WF5F trout taper line.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:17 PM

I fly fish for bass and panfish. I don't now the size of the water where you intend to fish but I have a friend who is a competitive mountain biker for a club in Oregon. He fishes mostly small streams and has the normal fly fishing gear but mostly prefers the "tenkara" system instead. Rather than me try to explain it (because I've never used it); Google "tenkara" or look up tenkara videos on YouTube.

Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to Island Bob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2017, 05:13 PM
Colorado Mountains

I have fly fished for 50 years and my favorite rod is a fiberglass (not graphite) 7 1/2 ft, 4wt with 6 pieces. I have the same rod in a 2 pc, and 3 pc and I find they all cast the same, where this is not true for graphite where each additional joint stiffens the rod a bit.

The big question is how do you plan to carry it on your bike? How long a tube is too long? I like my 6 pc fiberglass rod because it will fit entirely inside my pack and others do not know I am going fishing which keeps secret spots secret.

My recommendation would be to find a rod that is between 7 1/2 and 8 ft long that is a 4 or 5 wt (so wind does not shut you down) and get it in a 4-6 pc configuration depending on how you plan to carry it.

But, the primary consideration is to find a portable rod that you like to cast. A compact rod that casts like a 2x4 is no fun.

Tenkara is another option, especially on small streams, and I carry a tenkara rod when grouse /elk/deer hunting in case I come across promising water. But, if I am going to fish, I take my normal fly fishing stuff.

That Cabelas 7 1/2 ft, 4 wt, Stow Away 6 pc that you mention looks like a good option and doesn't cost too much. I'd be willing to bet it will fish just fine. If there is a Cabelas near you, they will let you test cast it before you buy. The reviews look pretty darn good too. I don't think you can go wrong with that Stow Away. If I were looking for an easily packable, small stream rod with enough backbone to land bigger fish on bigger water, that is what I would buy. You will not find 6 sections is a disadvantage when fishing. I do have an earlier generation Cabelas 5 pc graphite stowaway, that is 7 1/2 ft and a 5 wt and it is a great rod. Good luck!
Old 06-02-2017, 09:21 PM
Viva la revolution!

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,486 Posts

Im going to recommend getting a nice long hard sided rod case and strap it to your bike. I HATE fishing with 4,5,6 piece rods. I prefer a custom single piece (yes im spoiled) but I do have and fish with several 2 and 3 piece rods.

When I go on an adventure with my fly rod, my fly rod dictates the rest of the equipment. Strapping a light weight 4' tube to your bike or your pack shouldn't hinder you at all.

my .02
Old 06-03-2017, 07:19 AM
Don't be dumb

Thanked 13,676 Times in 4,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
Would you mind explaining further.

Please describe both the 2 pc and the 4 pc rods and comment on the action, the lines used, and the how you are fishing them.

Btw, I agree when it comes to using my 2 pc Fenwick #5 (relatively slow action) for casting dry flys using a WF5F trout taper line.
I used them for lobbing nightcrawlers into small brooks and rivers in western WI. The action has nothing to do with it. When I cast the 2-piece rarely has any issues with twisting sections. The 4-piece it is nearly constant. The newer rod isn't the best but it was $90 from Scheels so I guess I expected a bit more.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:10 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runamok View Post
I used them for lobbing nightcrawlers into small brooks and rivers in western WI. The action has nothing to do with it. When I cast the 2-piece rarely has any issues with twisting sections. The 4-piece it is nearly constant. The newer rod isn't the best but it was $90 from Scheels so I guess I expected a bit more.
Thank you, I tried the same trick using my 6wt pack rod and a cheap bug line I picked up.

I suspect the joints on your particular 4 pc rod do not fit correctly, I have no idea if that can be improved.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:04 AM
Hunter

Thanks for all of the feedback and ideas. There are lots of options out there and I'm still wading through all of them...
Old 03-10-2018, 11:29 PM
Prepared

I don't know about fly rods, but I have this pack rod that is virtually indistructable and fits in about any pack. They're also great for kayak fishing. Check out some videos on them. You will be surprised.
Edit to add: They now have a flyrod version. You'll need to scroll to the bottom of the page to find it.
http://www.emmrod.com/
Old 03-11-2018, 12:40 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,936 Times in 2,513 Posts

If you get a good rod. Then the differemces are minimal. Orvis makes a great one. Its the clearwater travel rod.

You will find with travel rods. The rod weight selections are generally limited to 5wt and higher.

But i recomend orvis all the way esp consideringbif you break the rod they will fix or replace it 0 questions asked for 20years.

Another option to look at is tenkara rods. They are kinda like the cane pole version of a fly rod from japan. But telescope. I keep one in the same case as my fly rod.