Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Plastic bag uses? Scrody DIY - Do It Yourself 45 09-10-2015 10:38 PM
plastic bag ban wootie General Discussion 37 02-11-2015 11:32 AM
Games and Sigs red rebel Site Information & Suggestion Box 2 06-26-2012 03:31 PM
Plastic AR-15? ijuswannalive Military Weapons Forum 30 03-20-2012 08:59 PM
Plastic - What would we do without it? ToughFemale General Discussion 20 05-28-2011 10:24 PM
SIGS tea party pistol... Ritepath Pistol and Revolver Forum 32 09-21-2010 01:15 AM
Sigs, whats so great about them. bigmattdaddywack Pistol and Revolver Forum 22 04-19-2010 11:38 PM
whats a good price for these Sigs? Dr.Gee Military Weapons Forum 4 01-02-2010 12:05 PM

Old 06-13-2009, 09:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,428 Times in 3,474 Posts
Default Plastic Sigs

Advertise Here

Does anyone own a plastc framed Sig? Much cheaper and lighter than 226, has rails, but plastic frame. Still full controls including decocker. Model 2009? Any thoughts? Interested in control, durability compared to Glock.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2009, 10:08 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,219 Times in 691 Posts

Before anyone cries about (plastic vs there steel) remember how many top quality weapons like HK, Walther, Glock, have out performed or equally performed against SIG and 1911(various models) out of the box. Maybe this will end the BS in later posts, but I doubt it.

The new Sig is interesting, and have potential in the slide, frame change capability. You can buy all the different sizes, and retain not only the legal rights, but the easy of replacement to any size pistol. Not to mention your sub compact is going to have the exact trigger(beause it is the exact trigger) as your full size. This is a kinky proposition when it comes to a survivalist what if world. That said for the every day Joe like myself it means that I can get similar performance of shooting from various sized frames, and retain the same comfort. That said......

Sig has had some horrible starts on many of there now good products. There version of the 1911, the mosquito, and the rifle line all were plagued with issues. This should make you hesitate to see if there are growing pains. I have shot this weapon on several occasions, and find it easy, the simplicity of it is much like a glock, and parts replacement will probably meet or exceed Glocks if Sig doesn't bone things up. Also the engineering of the pistols trigger system is fairly sound.

My experience is this is a good shooting gun, fairly accurate, and a decent all around design. Rounds do eject toward the face for some reason(hopefully later model slides will change that), and there have been reports of "issues." I say this because it might be true following Sigs rough starts with many platforms, but there excellence in the long run meets or surpasses many other companies. I also am willing to bet some of the negative comments are coming from liars, which seem to crop up against all new firearms. I however shot this range gun, and found no issues with it, even though it's rarely cleaned or cared for.

The photo provided shows it in the overall component break down. The true FFL portion is the trigger component, which means you can have slides barrels, and "frames" sent straight to your door. Also I am assuming because of its modular design we might see some outstanding after market frames that will give you any custom grip you want. That would be a kinky proposition.

I overall like the weapon for what it is, but I am holding off to see what happens. Kahr makes great pistols but one of there main sellers breaks out of the box a great deal. You just never know what a new product is going to do.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,428 Times in 3,474 Posts

Wow. Thanks. Was looking at a 2009.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBar67 View Post
Wow. Thanks. Was looking at a 2009.
Doh all that typing and I just over read the 2009 part. I have shot a older variation of it. That design if they haven't done anything but get rid of the dumb ass accessory rail is good to go. I shot the older version of the Sig Pro series back in the day and found it good (ended up with a 228 due to price). It should be out of the growing pains, and should be a good pistol. Please check on the Sig forums to make sure they just redid the outside of the weapon, to insure reliability, as I haven't researched this weapon much.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:05 AM
FBHO

Thanked 2,466 Times in 963 Posts

Plastic frames seem to perform fine. I own a Glock 19 and like it.
I do question though if my children and definately my grandchildren will inherit it?
Plastic degrades over time. I also own a Sig 229 in 9mm and I am more confident it will stand the test of time.(I don't shoot either of them all that much anymore... so Glock verses Sig torture tests don't apply here.)
The Sig I want is the steel frame Sig 229 in 9mm. I don't see them at gun shows anymore but vendors tell me they are still available. Why? I don't know... do I have to have a reason?
Old 06-16-2009, 09:57 AM
Prepared

I own a Sig SigPro SP2022 (9mm) which is the newer version of the Sp2009. I am thoroughly pleased with the pistol. It has been 100% reliable and is accurate. These run around $500 and come with Tritium style Nite Sights and an accessory rail.

Google sp2022 and see what others have to say. It's a great value. Oh, it has a great trigger as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to WyoDuner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2009, 12:43 AM
Target Shooter

I've got a P250 and it hasn't given me a problem yet. FMJ, JHP, expensive stuff, cheap stuff, even reloads. Like the idea of changing calibers and size.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:21 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopnchop View Post
I've got a P250 and it hasn't given me a problem yet. FMJ, JHP, expensive stuff, cheap stuff, even reloads. Like the idea of changing calibers and size.
Let us know how things go with it. Apparently a few of the early early review models cam out with some fitting defects. That said the correction was sent out, and in the gun world its almost a beta test. I can't hold them against that, but lets hope the former issues were seen and avoided this time.

Also what was your experience with brass ejecting toward your head? I shot two, and had that issue, but my friend reports his new 250 doesn't do that.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,569 Times in 1,682 Posts

Lovin' my Sig Pro 2009 with crimson trace laser grip. I have one of those kinda rare ones with the different slide that has the flip up safety on it that was originally intended for some South American country police. 15 round mags available for 29 bucks.

Woodyp
The Following User Says Thank You to woodyp For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2009, 08:56 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksInnerDemon View Post
Let us know how things go with it. Apparently a few of the early early review models cam out with some fitting defects. That said the correction was sent out, and in the gun world its almost a beta test. I can't hold them against that, but lets hope the former issues were seen and avoided this time.

Also what was your experience with brass ejecting toward your head? I shot two, and had that issue, but my friend reports his new 250 doesn't do that.
Not really a problem with ejection that I've had (my G/F had one hit her). I'm looking forward to the subcompact slides and then it will be a better carry for my purposes.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Take me out to the black

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,290 Posts

Shot one at a class once and I like it a LOT.