Is it common that computers are hijacked to run data? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here

Old 08-23-2019, 09:17 AM
Hunter

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is 2nd home - Rustbelt is home base
Thanked 2,057 Times in 641 Posts
Default Is it common that computers are hijacked to run data?

Advertise Here

When I put my computer asleep I've found it to awaken numerous times and running really hot. (processing lots of data.) It is not doing a MS update either. I remember way back when computer users were asked if they wanted to join a group where their computers would crunch data while idle. I never signed up for it and don't want to be a part of it now, if it still exists. I've started to log off the internet when I put the computer asleep and have had no further problems awakening. Is this even a issue nowadays with all the hi-powered computers? Are computers ever hijacked in off hours to run someone's data?
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 09:22 AM
Get bent

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
When I put my computer asleep I've found it to awaken numerous times and running really hot. (processing lots of data.) It is not doing a MS update either. I remember way back when computer users were asked if they wanted to join a group where their computers would crunch data while idle. I never signed up for it and don't want to be a part of it now, if it still exists. I've started to log off the internet when I put the computer asleep and have had no further problems awakening. Is this even a issue nowadays with all the hi-powered computers? Are computers ever hijacked in off hours to run someone's data?
The term you'll want to research is botnet.

http://usa.kaspersky.com/resource-ce...botnet-attacks

It's a deep rabbit hole so make some time. If you're into tech in any way, you might be reading for awhile!

One of mine has been waking from sleep quite regularly lately as well. It's a usb driver that wakes mine and is known to be a common issue.

Here's a small tutorial to start with.

https://lifehacker.com/how-find-out-...ast-1550549116
Old 08-23-2019, 09:39 AM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 29,796 Times in 9,806 Posts

HAHA... almost forgot about SETI. Thanks for the walk down memory lane...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2019, 07:10 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,158 Times in 613 Posts

Good old botnets (to do bad things to others) are not the big thing anymore, I think I saw somewhere mentioned that the new hot is using networked computers to do cryptocurrency calclulations.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:36 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 64,003 Times in 19,697 Posts

You can find lots of discusion and various utility downloads at MajorGeeks.
https://www.majorgeeks.com/

I bought 2 used Laptops recently and they were pretty loaded with spyware. Downloaded Malware bytes free edition and it cleaned most of the junk that was slowing them down.
https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

Then downloaded bleachbit and did some pretty aggressive cleanup scans.
https://www.bleachbit.org/

Installed Norton Antivirus, which was a great deal last black Friday for like $30 total for several licenses.

Downloaded Hijackthis exe and did a scan to see if any other DLL so called "Helper objects" were out there. (You need to know what you are doing with this one, so maybe don't try it unless you have someone looking over your shoulder, which I think one of the geeks will do at majorgeeks.

Then I ran all the updates. Then went to HP and got the latest drivers for the WIFI and the Sound and bluetooth emulators.

They are both HP Elitebooks. Paid $180 for the first one which came with a new battery and $100 for the second one.
The battery was at end of life on the 2nd one, so put a new battery in it.

They both were super clean and now they both run very fast.

Not sure what is running to heat your computer, but probably some combination of adware, and other nasties causing trouble. Nuke em!
Old 08-23-2019, 08:05 PM
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 11,202 Times in 4,320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
Ummmm..... Unplug your computer at night maybe?!?

Also, remove the battery, if it's a laptop, Maybe?!?

At the minimum, shut off all remote access, and remove it from your Wi-Fi.

They can't be hijacked while they're off, and no power available (common sense folks!).
Old 08-23-2019, 08:14 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Wouldn't it be faster (and easier!) to just wipe and reinstall everything from clean media? That's I would do anyways if I receive a computer from "unknown" source.
The Following User Says Thank You to KLF For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 03:20 PM
D. Gibbons is a bad man

Thanked 3,534 Times in 1,883 Posts

Quote:

I bought 2 used Laptops recently and they were pretty loaded with spyware. Downloaded Malware bytes free edition and it cleaned most of the junk that was slowing them down.
https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

Then downloaded bleachbit and did some pretty aggressive cleanup scans.
https://www.bleachbit.org/

Installed Norton Antivirus, which was a great deal last black Friday for like $30 total for several licenses.

Downloaded Hijackthis exe and did a scan to see if any other DLL so called "Helper objects" were out there. (You need to know what you are doing with this one, so maybe don't try it unless you have someone looking over your shoulder, which I think one of the geeks will do at majorgeeks.

Then I ran all the updates. Then went to HP and got the latest drivers for the WIFI and the Sound and bluetooth emulators.

They are both HP Elitebooks. Paid $180 for the first one which came with a new battery and $100 for the second one.
The battery was at end of life on the 2nd one, so put a new battery in it.

Not sure what is running to heat your computer, but probably some combination of adware, and other nasties causing trouble. Nuke em!
Clean reinstall is about the only foolproof method as I have seen persistence in professionally wiped laptops. A clean install of PopOS is now my preference for all secondhand laptops.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:28 PM
Militant Normal

Thanked 17,801 Times in 6,092 Posts

Using an obsolete O/S as I do, I can't reload some app programs from the web, and loading others that I need from the distro CDs is an all-morning task.

Solution: A while ago an SB member clued me in to how to "clone" one drive to another. I have a couple of spare hard drives, and I have three identical Dells, one in regular use, the others as spares. All five drives in my inventory are clones of one another, and if one were to be compromised I simply wipe it clean and reclone it from one of the others.

DATA of course is backed up weekly, and would be reloaded from the backup. So far I have had to do this just once, and it was for a pretty minor issue (lost the NoScript install, and NoScript that will run on Firefox 52 is no longer on the Web.)

I do run McAfee, plus NoScript, AdBlock, and Privacy Badger.

Another thing is that I'm on Hughes satellite. Don't understand the why of it, but I NEVER see the hundred or so port calls and pings per day that plagued me when I was on DSL, ten+ years ago. I don't even run the firewall logs anymore, they're always blank.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:40 PM
Militant Normal

Quote:

That's an interesting site!
The Following User Says Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 07:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 28,103 Times in 7,344 Posts

When it's doing that, check and see what's running. Right click in your task bar and open task manager, and go from there. When you machine is not in use, it's a good practice to turn it off though. Might as well save the hard drive bearings.

Wouldn't hurt to run a full scan on it also..
The Following User Says Thank You to Pitbull_Dallas For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 07:10 PM
2nd Amendment zealot

Thanked 1,239 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coach View Post
Using an obsolete O/S as I do, I can't reload some app programs from the web, and loading others that I need from the distro CDs is an all-morning task.

Solution: A while ago an SB member clued me in to how to "clone" one drive to another. I have a couple of spare hard drives, and I have three identical Dells, one in regular use, the others as spares. All five drives in my inventory are clones of one another, and if one were to be compromised I simply wipe it clean and reclone it from one of the others.

DATA of course is backed up weekly, and would be reloaded from the backup. So far I have had to do this just once, and it was for a pretty minor issue (lost the NoScript install, and NoScript that will run on Firefox 52 is no longer on the Web.)

I do run McAfee, plus NoScript, AdBlock, and Privacy Badger.

Another thing is that I'm on Hughes satellite. Don't understand the why of it, but I NEVER see the hundred or so port calls and pings per day that plagued me when I was on DSL, ten+ years ago. I don't even run the firewall logs anymore, they're always blank.
Just curious, what OS are you running?
Old 08-25-2019, 07:45 PM
Militant Normal

XP-Pro. The last iteration that will support some ancient DOS applications that I still depend upon. That in turn restricts me to Firefox 52.9.0; later versions of FF aren't compiled for XP.

I made an attempt at Linux a couple of years ago, which was a train wreck. Nothing I needed worked, and it took me a whole day to recover. That was before I set up this scheme of cloned drives, and in fact the cloned drives plan grew out of that.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:13 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Your ISP probably has NAT firewall on your connection. It does not let anything through that you do not ask first.

It is not perfect though, as it will also block legit use cases and make some hard to use if not impossible. That is why most ISPs do not run firewall themselves and let users do it instead.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:22 PM
Militant Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLF View Post
Your ISP probably has NAT firewall on your connection. It does not let anything through that you do not ask first.

It is not perfect though, as it will also block legit use cases and make some hard to use if not impossible. That is why most ISPs do not run firewall themselves and let users do it instead.
Could be. I'm not aware of any trouble it's causing me, but then I don't know what I don't know. Does occur to me that they have a vested interest in minimizing waste of bandwidth.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:49 AM
2nd Amendment zealot

Thanked 1,239 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
XP-Pro. The last iteration that will support some ancient DOS applications that I still depend upon. That in turn restricts me to Firefox 52.9.0; later versions of FF aren't compiled for XP.

I made an attempt at Linux a couple of years ago, which was a train wreck. Nothing I needed worked, and it took me a whole day to recover. That was before I set up this scheme of cloned drives, and in fact the cloned drives plan grew out of that.
You might be interested in ReactOS. Website is here: https://reactos.org/

I have installed this on an old computer and have been quite impressed.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:58 AM
Hunter

You could buy a Playstation 4 and try to host multiplayer games with your friends. It would not work :D

Likewise other use cases where your home computer services other people somehow, private file server or similar. Those would not work, because other people cannot connect to your computer remotely. A simple file transfer that we used to do back in the days of MSN Messenger, it would not work either.

It is also worth knowing that all those port scans and pings use a small amount of data (up to huge amounts when DDOS attack occurs) and it would be out of your monthly allowance.

So yes, it is also in their interest to protect your connection because even if your own firewall would block all those pings, they would still be sent over your data. Satellite connection is special in the sense that it is not practically unlimited bandwidth like modern fiber optic lines are.