Eating Worms and Insects? Anyone Have Experience? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 08-11-2019, 08:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,950 Times in 7,420 Posts

Advertise Here

Grasshoppers,ants,worms.............cook everything well done in the survival pot and give thanks somethings in there

over 1/3 of the people on Earth eat Bugs Daily
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baddogg5 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2019, 08:37 PM
Libertarian

Thanked 3,109 Times in 1,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddogg5 View Post
Grasshoppers,ants,worms.............cook everything well done in the survival pot and give thanks somethings in there

over 1/3 of the people on Earth eat Bugs Daily
And over 1/2 of the people on Earth are idiots!
Old 08-11-2019, 08:51 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 22,427 Times in 8,385 Posts

Look up the allowable amount of bug pieces and rat poop allowed in commercial products.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 11:04 AM
Just some guy

Thanked 18,235 Times in 5,999 Posts

Like anything else food related it's all in the preparation. Even what we consider " normal " food can be bad, if not downright horrible if it's not prepared right.

The only bugs I like all by themselves are roasted grasshoppers. Pinch the head while pulling gently to remove most of the gut. Skewer and roast over a fire until the have a popcorn kinda feel. If you set aside your bias these guys are pretty good.

I've eaten all kinds of insects and while I can eat them alone, I find they work best mixed in with other foods. Potatoes, soups and stews. With rice or ramen.

Worms....pinch off a piece at the tail, then pinch and pull from the head on down to remove the grit. Rinse. Again, add them to something.

You can eat some raw but I personally wouldn't take a chance with it. I always cook them.

Crickets are damn awesome done up in a bit of butter and some garlic. Serve over mashed potatoes.
The Following User Says Thank You to iyaayas For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 11:47 AM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 29,529 Times in 9,722 Posts

toasted grasshoppers are pretty good.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to America's Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 12:29 PM

Iíve eaten crickets. Ok but the legs get caught in your teeth.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ready?mom For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 01:52 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
Look up the allowable amount of bug pieces and rat poop allowed in commercial products.
Worked as a butcher for years and found out a lot on that subject while talking to FDA agents and others in the food business. If people knew more about it then I believe lots of companies would go out of business.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lost Woods Survival For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 03:21 PM
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Woods Survival View Post
Worked as a butcher for years and found out a lot on that subject while talking to FDA agents and others in the food business. If people knew more about it then I believe lots of companies would go out of business.
Think that's bad look up the FDA approved levels of pus in milk.

Or, check out the chlorine, ammonia and carbon monoxide " baths " meat is subjected to before being packaged.

If people were more aware of the practices and procedures from factory farming I believe the practice would be outlawed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iyaayas For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 04:57 PM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 8,078 Times in 3,060 Posts

Not one of my favorite things to do (OK, one of my least favorite things to do), but it's better than nothing

One of many websites selling edible insects
https://www.edibleinsects.com/

How to make chocolate-covered insects
https://www.ehow.com/how_5415598_mak...d-insects.html

A more practical website for OP's application
https://www.greenbelly.co/pages/edible-insects
Old 08-13-2019, 08:26 PM
Just some guy

Yeah it's slowly catching on in the states. Pound for pound many bugs have more lean protein than beef.

It's getting that pound that could be problematic without traps.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:41 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,650 Times in 772 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmas View Post
I would be a little concerned about parasites.
There are types of protein that aren't efficiently utilized by the human body unless they have been cooked or at least heated to a fairly high temperature. Wild canines and felines can digest raw meat because of their stomach chemistry. Boiling in water will kill most parasites and make the protein easier to assimilate.
I don't have a weak stomach, so if push comes to shove, I'll throw the bugs in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes and then pretend it's vegetable beef soup.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:14 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 21,410 Times in 6,764 Posts

Amongst other things, I feed compost pile bugs, grubs, insects, worms etc, to my chickens.
I then eat the eggs the chickens produce & the occasional chicken.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bunkerbuster For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 03:37 AM
A marathon not a sprint

Thanked 14,321 Times in 3,528 Posts

I was also going to say my chickens and muscovie have experience eating insects and I eat them . My compost piles are also in the chicken yard and I am going to start a new routine running a bug zapper at night out above the chicken yard and see how that works .
The Following User Says Thank You to Hilltopper For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 03:59 AM
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by randolphrowzeebragg View Post
There are types of protein that aren't efficiently utilized by the human body unless they have been cooked or at least heated to a fairly high temperature. Wild canines and felines can digest raw meat because of their stomach chemistry. Boiling in water will kill most parasites and make the protein easier to assimilate.
I don't have a weak stomach, so if push comes to shove, I'll throw the bugs in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes and then pretend it's vegetable beef soup.
Speaking from experience.....soup yes. Bugs boiled in water...no. lol. Crickets and grass hoppers most definitely roast or fry. You'll save water and your creepie crawlies will actually taste pretty decent.

Boiled bugs in plain water is usually pretty foul.

You are correct that boiling will kill parasites and bacteria but so will roasting and frying. Baking works well also but that usually requires more effort.
The Following User Says Thank You to iyaayas For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 04:14 AM
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopper View Post
I was also going to say my chickens and muscovie have experience eating insects and I eat them . My compost piles are also in the chicken yard and I am going to start a new routine running a bug zapper at night out above the chicken yard and see how that works .
Yep. You can feed your chickens very well with such methods. Just adding night lights around your chicken house and pens if you don't free range can really make a difference. In the spring time especially. June bugs will fatten your chickens like nobodies business.

Never tried the bug zappers but with a lot of bugs attracted to light that's all you need to get a good pile of pickings by morning. I'd imagine you'd get much more with the zappers and kudos on you for bringing that up.

Composting too. We used to have several compost piles going in just about every patch of unused ground we had and the chickens were like kids trick or treating through them. We also had less damage in the gardens because the bugs preferred the compost and the chickens would wander through the gardens and pluck the occasional bug but they didn't linger long enough to damage anything or scratch.

If you set your farm up right there's almost no reason to waste money on chicken feed unless your winters are long and bitter. Let em wander around if you can get away with it. Save money on feed, and you'll have healthier happier chickens which often equates to increases in eggs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iyaayas For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 08:37 AM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 29,529 Times in 9,722 Posts

If you pinch and pull the head, the innards will come out (along with the parasites if there are any). Then, roasting will alleviate any that you may have missed. It's really not that much of a concern. When your starving, it's of no concern...

I didn't use a "night light", but I a bug zapper will leave a good pile of fried bugs on the ground. The chickens make a hard left and straight to that pile every day for breakfast.
The Following User Says Thank You to America's Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmas View Post
I would be a little concerned about parasites.
Don't eat anything raw. period. Here in Thailand they eat ants (with eggs) and crickets. I've eaten those, but other insects are edible too.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:15 AM
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop401k View Post
Don't eat anything raw. period. Here in Thailand they eat ants (with eggs) and crickets. I've eaten those, but other insects are edible too.
Good advice.

Goes double or even triple if you don't have access to medical care. Can't be too careful in situations like that.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:43 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 3,074 Times in 798 Posts

I USED to work with a cop who had his own worm ranch and swore by the great food they make. He said he could control everything they ate and every now and then harvest his "herd" and fix up his meals.

I saw his ranch and saw him eating a worm sandwich one day and he was never sick(physically at least) so there must be something to them.
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 09:24 PM
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
I USED to work with a cop who had his own worm ranch and swore by the great food they make. He said he could control everything they ate and every now and then harvest his "herd" and fix up his meals.

I saw his ranch and saw him eating a worm sandwich one day and he was never sick(physically at least) so there must be something to them.
The biggest problem isn't the taste, it's the bias.

Believe it or not as far as taste goes it's maggots that win out in blind taste tests .Again it's really in the preparation. Problem is that particular creepy crawly is one of the toughest to set aside bias. Most people doing that blind test end up vomiting when they discover what they ate but before they knew they say they taste really good.

The trick with maggots and grubs is to not overcook. When frying you want them to plump up but not burst. Done just in butter or Olive oil they have a slightly acidic taste as they burst when you chew them that quickly turns sweet on the tounge.

I forget the tribe it came from but there's a Brazilian recipe that does them in a similar way you would do a crawfish boil. You can substitute practically any vegetable with it and also vary the flame factor by using which ever hot pepper you prefer.

Get creative and look around the net for recipes if your serious about messing with bugs.