Oklahoma changed AR15 mag size that can be used to hunt deer - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Things We Do 223shootersc Books, Movies & Stories 162 08-16-2019 06:55 AM
Del-Ton Sport Lite AR15 5.56/223 16" Barrel 30rd Mag from $388 wikiarms.com wikiarms.com 0 01-06-2017 05:33 PM
Should We Hunt Over Deer Feed? AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 12-07-2016 07:30 PM
Armalite Eagle AR15 ORC 16" Barrel 30 Rd Mag from $499.99 + Free Shipping wikiarms.com wikiarms.com 2 11-15-2016 08:30 PM

Old 08-09-2019, 03:45 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,757 Times in 637 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Diehl View Post
Okey-dokey, good to know. Thanks.

Al
Youíre welcome.
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019, 04:06 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
A friend told me that Oklahoma changed the mag size that can be carried in AR15 from 7 rounds to 30 rounds this year, I thought it sounded nuts so I called the local game warden to confirm this myself and sure enough you can now carry a fully loaded 30 mag to hunt deer now. this seems crazy to me, I see some new hunter or someone that doesn't care shooting multiple deer and not thinking that of how many they can tag or not worrying about it until they get caught. this is a bad regulation on the states part in MHO.
what do you think
Thats about the same as was said at the first of the 20th century when repeating shotguns became common. That hunters with a 5 round auto would slaughter the ducks and geese. There was a big push to have these guns banned from hunting fields. Of course those who obeyed the game laws didn't kill any more birds than the guys with single and double barreled guns. And those who were inclined to take more than the law allowed did so with whatever gun gun they owned.

Tx has never had a mag restriction as far as I know. I have never seen or heard of anyone just blasting a herd of deer. But I have heard several times where guys fired 5 rounds from a shotgun during dove season when they should have been plugged to three rounds.

If some one wants a 30 round mag I have no problems with it.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:14 AM
Free-ish Man

Thanked 1,854 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoLimaDelta View Post
If Arkansas ever approves 30 round magazines for hunting, I will not allow the people who I allow to hunt on my land use them.
I'm curious. Why? I understand the reasoning behind prohibiting 30 round mags for deer, believe me. There are lots of folks who follow the rules about magazine limits but will empty the weapon every time they see a deer. If it was my land though, if I didn't trust the person to choose their shot and put the deer down with one round, I wouldn't let them hunt, regardless of their magazine size.

Around here at least there a tons of irresponsible people who will shoot at anything that's brown, shoot multiple times at running deer, etc. etc. Just last season I was sitting in the woods and heard 3 (the maximum allowed in the gun here) fast shots from a position not far from me. Couple minutes later a tiny doe came limping through the woods maybe 20 yards from me. She had her back leg shot almost in half and her intestines were hanging out of her stomach. She would have died eventually but it would have taken a while and the jackass who shot her (who I know), wouldn't have been able to find her. I put her down (with one round, from my single shot rifle) and had a talk with the dude a little later. He'd literally just shot as fast as he could at a group of running deer. **** like that is why people want to limit the number of rounds people are allowed to have in their hunting gun.
The Following User Says Thank You to SBK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 10:52 AM
Trapper

SBK, just a personal preference on my part.

Three guys have approval to hunt on my place and each one can bring one guest when they hunt. I know and trust the three guys but I don’t know the guest. If the guest screws up, the one who invited him loses his hunting privileges too.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:53 AM
Free-ish Man

Thanked 1,854 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoLimaDelta View Post
SBK, just a personal preference on my part.

Three guys have approval to hunt on my place and each one can bring one guest when they hunt. I know and trust the three guys but I donít know the guest. If the guest screws up, the one who invited him loses his hunting privileges too.
My point was that if I didn't trust somebody with a 30 round mag, I wouldn't trust them with anything more than 1 round, either. Honestly, I'd be perfectly fine with everyone being limited to single shots for big game, (other than pests, like hogs). That'll get me flamed like crazy here and on many other gun forums but that's the way it is. It has nothing whatsoever to do with gun rights and everything to do with reality. There are tons of "hunters" who will habitually "take shots" at running animal, animals that are too far away, animals that aren't 100% identified, shoot multiple times at a running herd, etc.etc. Most of it is completely legal and all is completely unethical. Some folks seem to think that the only people who will misuse the number of rounds in their hunting rifle are poachers. I know beyond any shadow of a doubt that that's not true.
The Following User Says Thank You to SBK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 12:21 PM
Trapper

SBK, I think we’re basically on the same page.