Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dumb down the basics of what wouuld happen lasers Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 15 03-05-2018 12:32 PM
Radiation detectors, ratemeters, survey meters, dosimeters and geiger counters CONELRAD Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 56 12-19-2017 02:31 AM
Another Attack On The London Bridge TXplowgirl General Discussion 511 06-07-2017 11:03 AM

Old 05-25-2019, 05:22 PM
Hiker

Default ADM-300 Radiac best bang for the buck radiation detector

Advertise Here

Has a big dynamic range from background to 10000R instant death readings.

You can get these on ebay for less than 300 dollars.

The units are sealed and can be washed down for decon
Can measure beta contamination with the built in probe when beta shield is flipped open.

It functions as a dosimeter and ratemeter simultaneously and alarms can be set for both.

One of the nicest features I have not seen on many devices is the ability to keep the gamma rate meter and dosimeter going while you use an external probe like the pancake probe.

It will also subtract from the background gamma the counts so that you can use the beta probe in a high gamma ambient environment and not miss contaminated items as you pass the pancake probe over things.

Rugged and also EMP hardened as well.

So far out of all the different Radiological detection tools I have tested the ADM300 offers the most well rounded and easiest to use turnkey package to keep ready in the event of any incident.

I will be testing more and report on interesting findings.

The units also have built in testing, the probes are smart and calibration data and high voltage supply is built into the probes as well.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to elsapo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2019, 05:31 PM
Formerly WIMountainMan

Thanked 3,973 Times in 1,591 Posts

For those interested:
Evaluation of Nuclear Research Corporation's ADM-300 Radiation Detection, Indication, and Computation (RADIAC) Instrument

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a260233.pdf

The eval was mostly positive, a few minor issues were noted which may have been corrected in later revisions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CONELRAD For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2019, 08:46 PM
Hiker

So far the ADM-300A is turning out to be a great general purpose instrument. Flat response and comparable to my 451P-RYR in mixed fields. It responds quickly to sudden elevations in gamma activity.

What makes no sense is why is the Airforce surplussing perfectly good instruments. One case was brand new never issued, and others just look like they were opened for function verification, calibration and then closed back up again.

Is the Airforce switching to a new model?

So many state and local agencies still struggle with obsolete CD you would think they would just be handed down these nice survey meters instead.

That pdf is interesting I would not be surprised if changes made after that report.

Having a CDV-700,CDV-715 and dosimeter in a EMP hardened package with continuous BITE is nice to have around.

BITE is built in self test. Common with military equipment. The ADM-300s are always self testing even during use, it takes a few CPU cycles to validate system components during operation
The Following User Says Thank You to elsapo For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2019, 05:23 PM
Hiker

Okay practically new ADM-300s being dumped is due to a change in hardware.

#1 AA battery operation (4) vs 2 9v battery
#2 simulation mode for training purposes
#3 usb compatibility with converter cable change.

So thats the mystery of why practically new units dumped on the market. Further testing shows a nice flat energy response similar to a Fluke 451P.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:04 AM
Formerly WIMountainMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsapo View Post
Okay practically new ADM-300s being dumped is due to a change in hardware.

#1 AA battery operation (4) vs 2 9v battery
#2 simulation mode for training purposes
#3 usb compatibility with converter cable change.

So thats the mystery of why practically new units dumped on the market. Further testing shows a nice flat energy response similar to a Fluke 451P.
Where?
PM me if you don't want to put the source out in the open.
The Following User Says Thank You to CONELRAD For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2019, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the info, I have been thinking about getting one for awhile. Picked one up on eBay under $300. Looks brand new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	289170  
Old 07-09-2019, 06:32 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalbird View Post
Thanks for the info, I have been thinking about getting one for awhile. Picked one up on eBay under $300. Looks brand new.
If you ever get a 10uCi cs-137 source the unit should read 6.5mR/hr (+- 15%)
These units are very accurate and you can take 5 of them and they would all measure within 10% of each other or better. Place the check source label facing up on the L marking on the bottom of the unit.

Tip regarding alarms. If you turn the unit on but not activate audio, the only time you will hear sound is during a dose or dose rate alarm. This is useful if you do not want to be disturbed by the clicks but only alerted on a condition.

The increment button (one marked with up arrow silences the alarm)

BTW the pocket on the side of the pouch is to put a spare set of 9v batteries when carrying in the field I highly recommend carrying it in the pouch. Also 9v lithiums are even better than alkaline for longer 24/7 operation etc.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:10 PM
Hiker

In our shelter we have 3 units along with pen dosimeters and charger. Right now the ADM-300 is our standard model and everyone knows to operate it, and as you note the buttons are designed to work nicely even with MOPP gear when you are all thumbs due to the gloves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D1FF88D9-56DB-43BF-B540-B58A15A296D3.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	289252  
Old 07-19-2019, 09:43 AM

I appreciate the tips. I am learning how to use it. Also trying to figure out what levels are dangerous
Old 07-20-2019, 01:33 PM
Formerly WIMountainMan

Default ADM-300 Radiac best bang for the buck radiation detector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalbird View Post
I appreciate the tips. I am learning how to use it. Also trying to figure out what levels are dangerous

As you dig deeper into the subject, you’ll soon see why there’s no easy answer to “what’s dangerous”. How much, how long, how often... all of that factors in. Then, are you talking about direct effects... delayed effects... it’s a deep rabbit hole.
The Following User Says Thank You to CONELRAD For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2019, 07:38 AM
Hiker

In your day to day activities its not something to be concerned with. Now what you can do is set your ADM-300 to alert at 2mr/hr which is the recommendation by NCRP for what would be considered unusual and would be used as the demarcation point from the cold to the hot zone.

1R/hr is big time problem. Whatever is going on to get to those levels its probably on the news and hopefully first responders working on it etc. your ADM-300 will let you know. All the amazon and ebay 80 dollar made in china etc.. specials will probably be useless at those levels probably silent due to saturation jamming the units.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:38 PM
Trapper

I used the ADM 300 when I was in the Air Force, when new in 1995 it was a good piece of gear. Like many items, it's time to move on and replace it with something better.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2019, 09:47 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
I used the ADM 300 when I was in the Air Force, when new in 1995 it was a good piece of gear. Like many items, it's time to move on and replace it with something better.

They are working on one called the RDS and it will replace the mess of RADIACs fielded by the different branches.

You would think its a great idea for everyone to have a universal instrument everyone can be familiar with, have a common set of parts etc.

But knowing how things work it will probably take 10 or more years before its fielded and will probably have all kinds of operational issues.

But for now the ADM-300 is the best bang for the buck civilian fallout meter. Unless you know of something better.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:15 PM
Trapper

Quote:
They are working on one called the RDS and it will replace the mess of RADIACs fielded by the different branches.

You would think its a great idea for everyone to have a universal instrument everyone can be familiar with, have a common set of parts etc.

But knowing how things work it will probably take 10 or more years before its fielded and will probably have all kinds of operational issues.

But for now the ADM-300 is the best bang for the buck civilian fallout meter. Unless you know of something better.
Yes, I know about the RDS. Supposed to replace the ADM, PDR77 and the Navy's Beta-Gamma detectors. We are slated to get them "soon" according to the message traffic.

To be honest, I am not as worried about a radiation threat as I am concerned with a civil disturbance.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:03 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
Yes, I know about the RDS. Supposed to replace the ADM, PDR77 and the Navy's Beta-Gamma detectors. We are slated to get them "soon" according to the message traffic.

To be honest, I am not as worried about a radiation threat as I am concerned with a civil disturbance.

There was some early testing and it smelled like JTRS. Bit over complicated with featuritis

Well if thats the case look at buying a spot in New Zealand.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:21 AM
Formerly WIMountainMan

The RDS looks like an upgraded AN/PDR-77

https://www.mirion.com/products/rds-...ary-radiac-set

The RDS may not be a totally new product, it may just be they are standardizing around an existing (or updated) product. FWIW I’m not “in the know”, I’m just speculating.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:24 AM
Golfer

Thanked 2,124 Times in 1,237 Posts

If you don't want to spend $300 to detect Gamma radiation just get a cell phone app.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:35 PM
Formerly WIMountainMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttster View Post
If you don't want to spend $300 to detect Gamma radiation just get a cell phone app.
Great idea! It should compliment your paper-cup gas mask nicely.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:11 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Well if thats the case look at buying a spot in New Zealand.
Unlike some people, I base my decisions on real world threats and not PAW fantasies.

Old 08-02-2019, 02:37 PM
Golfer

Thanked 2,124 Times in 1,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONELRAD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by puttster View Post
Great idea! It should compliment your paper-cup gas mask nicely. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.survivalistboards.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]
And my endorsement for building a stash of pipe shotguns, about $10 each.