Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 01-24-2020, 09:18 AM
Target Shooter

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
Being worried and feeling a need to do things about stuff is how you stop it from being a big problem or a bigger one than it is.
I haven't read it yet, but I bought a book "Gift of Fear". I heard it's good.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PeterWiggin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 09:21 AM
That'll be the day...

Thanked 7,954 Times in 1,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
Yes SARS killed 800 people of 8000 people infected.
Spanish flu was eventually caught by 1/3 of the world population.
There are no symptoms at first and even cases that proved fatal for this new flu, the patient did not have a temperature. So, how can it be contained at airports or similar? It can not.

SARS exploded quickly.... but then, went away nearly as quickly and WHO is hoping the same in this instance.

But a quick read on Wikipedia on the Spanish Flu in the early 1900's will give everyone a wake up call. And think about this.... There really wasn't global commercial air travel at that time.

4.7 Million People board a commercial plane.... EACH DAY on this globe.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ffic-globally/

566 flights leave Wuhan daily! How many 'Carriers' were flown to another city before a travel ban went into affect? It was only yesterday that flights between Wuhan and the USA were cancelled.

The Virus was first discovered on December 31...... 25 days ago. You do the Math.... 566 flights daily and 25 days! If incubation is up to 10 days.... that's really 35 days.

The 1918 influenza pandemic (January 1918 – December 1920; colloquially known as Spanish flu) was an unusually deadly influenza pandemic, the first of the two pandemics involving H1N1 influenza virus.[1] It infected 500 million people around the world,[2] including people on remote Pacific islands and in the Arctic. Probably 50 million, and possibly as high as 100 million (three to five percent of Earth's population at the time) died, making it one of the deadliest epidemics in human history.[3][4][5] Historical and epidemiological data are inadequate to identify with certainty the pandemic's geographic origin.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Big_John For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 09:29 AM
Prepared

Thanked 2,046 Times in 318 Posts

https://www.reddit.com/r/China/comme...iral_outbreak/

Lots of links staying updated. Looks like really good info resource.

I only just found it and poking through it now may not be as good as I think so far.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bittersweet For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2020, 09:29 AM
Survivor

Thanked 63,986 Times in 20,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
Shaving off the oldest 25% of our population seems pretty horrible to me. I don't see why it needs to kill off young healthy people to be a problem unless you're just worried about yourself and no one else, and even then it's still going to make you really sick. Not to mention that the panic, economic, and societal consequences will almost always be worse than the disease itself.
I'll use myself as an example because other than age, most factors apply.

I am 37, but childless, and let's face it it is not likely I will have children at this point in my life. So myself and those past child bearing age are "dead ends"/ not going to add to society that way.

We are mostly not working (I am medically retired from the Marine Corps due to injuries)
So that while we are consumers, we are not producers.

Sure older people contribute to society in various ways.

I am on the Vol FD and contribute my time, limited energy and money in various ways, but not statistically significant especially when you consider that our assets will be inherrited/consumed or invested.

It's just like how in a limited gene pool women are more valuable than men.

Women can't have much more than one kid a year.

If all the guys in the world died but one the species could survive.
He's be BUSY, but doable.

If I died tomorrow, it wouldn't significantly impact the world.

If the "breeders" and the "workers" die, and we are left with kids and old people...

Sure we might limp along, lots of old people know lots of stuff, but it'll be a much more major hit.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 09:33 AM
Survivor

Thanked 63,986 Times in 20,433 Posts

Something I just thought of.

My great grandmother (who was alive during the spanish/French flu) would cover herself with spray on lisole when she got home.

I wasn't old enough to know her well, although I have several memories of her before she was bed bound.

But older family members talk about how she never got sick.

Might take up the practice.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 09:42 AM
contrarian

I have been making a can't hurt/might help list and filling it damn fast. I am in upstate NY and seeing some stocks decline from others doing the same thing. Doing nothing? Makes no sense and leaves you feeling helpless. I'd rather have a larger pile of stuff than need it, right?

This should probably be on the Health thread - but think about where you put your hands. 'Wash hands frequently' is not enough. Don't touch your face when you are out, unless you've just used hand sanitizer. Wipe down your car's control surfaces with lysol or bleach wipes. Wipe your debit card - think how many people use the same slot. I had my debit card in my pants pocket a few days ago for a quick store run. I bet a lot of people do that too. I have work gloves in my car to pump gas with - mostly because it is damn cold, but pumps handles never get cleaned, and its flu season.

I could continue - but I think you get my point. On the cant hurt/might help? Practice and self examine behavios to a higher, near paranoid level of touch awareness now. Shoes off at the door - how can we be sure the dog pee you stepped in back there wasn't from a dog with this? etc. etc.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pdf/freereso...ons-8.5x11.pdf ........ I think I said this better, LOL. I was twitchy when I thought about my car surfaces, Debit Card, the things you touch when you just get home -

Last edited by DenimDave; 01-24-2020 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: really should have put some sort of link - here it is.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DenimDave For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 09:44 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Something I just thought of.

My great grandmother (who was alive during the spanish/French flu) would cover herself with spray on lisole when she got home.

I wasn't old enough to know her well, although I have several memories of her before she was bed bound.

But older family members talk about how she never got sick.

Might take up the practice.
i heard that lysol was an effective feminine product back then.

i wonder why people stopped using it so much?
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterWiggin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 10:07 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,641 Times in 3,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenimDave View Post

This should probably be on the Health thread - but think about where you put your hands. 'Wash hands frequently' is not enough. Don't touch your face when you are out, unless you've just used hand sanitizer. Wipe down your car's control surfaces with lysol or bleach wipes. Wipe your debit card - think how many people use the same slot. I had my debit card in my pants pocket a few days ago for a quick store run. I bet a lot of people do that too. I have work gloves in my car to pump gas with - mostly because it is damn cold, but pumps handles never get cleaned, and its flu season.

I could continue - but I think you get my point. On the cant hurt/might help? Practice and self examine behavios to a higher, near paranoid level of touch awareness now. Shoes off at the door - how can we be sure the dog pee you stepped in back there wasn't from a dog with this? etc. etc.
I am not much more worried about this virus than any other, as I already said, but yes, you can avoid getting sick from viruses if you are somewhat careful. We do this now, before the new virus, because we have to take care of our animals, and would not be able to , if we both got the flu at the same time or something. Even a bad cold is very inconvenient.
This is what we do : use good hand sanitizer. I use 91% rubbing alcohol in a little spray bottle with a little water added every time we go out shopping. The regular stuff does not kill most viruses. I clean the grocery cart with the wipes they have there. We never eat out during flu season. We do get a flu shot even if it;s unlikely we are exposed to it, because our son goes to college. He could bring it home.

We always have face masks , and rubber gloves around, use them on the farm for cleaning the barn, or dealing with sick animals ( unlike China)

There is really not much more you can do. It's much harder to avoid getting sick if you work in a office or some place with a lot of people. We haven't had any sort of virus since we moved here ( 4 years) . I had 1 cold after flying to Europe a few years ago.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 10:16 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,802 Times in 1,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Muscle View Post

The email continued to say "the patient did not meet the CDC criteria for coronavirus exposure"

No further action was taken and patient treated for common flu and released.

Does anyone know what the CDC criteria is? Obviously no one outside of the hospital knows about this. I think we can all agree on two major points.

1. Massively under reported cases
2. Due to under reported data, the situation will be brushed off and continue spreading.
CDC criteria, currently:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...-criteria.html

—-attempted to paste relevant information in, so folks wouldn’t have to follow the link, however paste failed due to chart/graphics.—-

Mia culpa!

In brief CDC criteria revolves around travel history, current symptoms, or contact with a lab confirmed case & current symptoms. Pretty simple, as it should be.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 10:30 AM
Getting There

1 Confirmed in Chicago

https://twitter.com/jackiefell/statu...25621929717760

https://twitter.com/MarParNews/statu...24239260618754
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kitkatbar For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 10:38 AM
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Thanked 32,118 Times in 7,664 Posts

I work in the Emergency Department at a large Trauma I medical center. Today we received instructions to screen each patient for 2019-nCoV. The good news is that if someone is suspected it won't require a full serious communicable disease unit response. We are using standard contact and airborne precautions along with eye protection. Although some of these cases have been severe, many patients have had mild disease. Just an FYI.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:46 AM

they are building a hospital now, trying to build for 1000beds in 10 days (not sure if posted earlier in this thread)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wuhanbuildsite.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	296510  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Littlebits For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 10:47 AM
Prepared

From what I've seen they are initiating screening with cbp at jfk, lax, and sfo. About 50 people per day travel into the United States from the affected region. 14 airports are supposed to be on some kind of heightened alert that being Los Angeles San Francisco New York Chicago Dallas Newark Boston Detroit Washington Dulles Atlanta Seattle Honolulu Houston and Las Vegas. CDC is initiating a Personnel surge. Enhanced screening will consist of a temperature check, questionnaire. Will be working with DHS. They are advising TSA employees to use alcohol-based hand sanitizer and avoid touching their eyes and face.

I remember when SARS hit they gave TSA a boatload of respirators but they forbid the officers from wearing them because they did not want to scare passengers so when you see TSA wearing masks you know **** has hit the fan.

Person to person spread is occurring although it's unclear how easily the virus spread between people. Older adult some people with underlying health conditions may be at increased risk for severe disease. Situation is evolving this notice will be updated. Practice for identification include travel history for patients with fever and respiratory symptoms onset within two weeks of leaving affected area. Patients under evaluation should be asked to wear a mask. Anyone entering a room with a patient should conduct precautions and use goggles face shield and wear respiratory protection.

I'm just rambling off what I've heard from folks with official sourcing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ricochet808 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 10:53 AM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,063 Times in 339 Posts

According to CNBC there is a 2nd confirmed U.S. case, this one in Chicago. 36 suspected cases total in USA.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Prepper_Ed For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 10:55 AM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,063 Times in 339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebits View Post

they are building a hospital now, trying to build for 1000beds in 10 days (not sure if posted earlier in this thread)
Or, like someone said earlier, preparing mass graves.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Prepper_Ed For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 10:58 AM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 32,217 Times in 9,272 Posts

Just seen a news flash that there's fixing to be a news conference in Chicago. I have a feeling we're fixing to be told that's there's more cases here in the US than previously thought and to start being cautious. I could be wrong but it's interesting.
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 10:59 AM
***GAMERS WILL RISE***

Thanked 2,214 Times in 888 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcalibres View Post
Here is a list of the 50 largest cities in China:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population

The city of Wuhan with it's 1.1 million captives (as distinct from the province of the same name surrounding the city with 11 million inhabitants) should not even make it into the list.
I followed your link... I think somehow you got confused about this. Here's what I found, attached below. Second image is also from Wikipedia.

I already saw Wuhan described as 11 million in news stories a few times. And they called it one of the four biggest travel hubs in China. It doesn't seem likely to me that it could be one of the four biggest for travel without also being one of the few biggest cities in China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post

566 flights leave Wuhan daily! How many 'Carriers' were flown to another city before a travel ban went into affect? It was only yesterday that flights between Wuhan and the USA were cancelled.

The Virus was first discovered on December 31...... 25 days ago. You do the Math.... 566 flights daily and 25 days! If incubation is up to 10 days.... that's really 35 days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wuhan population Wikipedia.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	296512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wuhan population Wikipedia 2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	296514  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim from 28DaysLater For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 11:03 AM
That'll be the day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13ella View Post
I work in the Emergency Department at a large Trauma I medical center. Today we received instructions to screen each patient for 2019-nCoV. The good news is that if someone is suspected it won't require a full serious communicable disease unit response. We are using standard contact and airborne precautions along with eye protection. Although some of these cases have been severe, many patients have had mild disease. Just an FYI.

My son is an ER Doc and received the same instructions. Every ER in America is on HIGH ALERT.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Big_John For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 11:07 AM
That'll be the day...

I live 17 miles out of town and during the winter, have nearly zero contact with my neighbors, due to ice, snow and temps.

I go in to town about once a week for groceries and errands and try to do that between 6-9am when few are shopping....

I'm going to stay with this behavior and stay away from concentrated city centers, where people are packed together like rats in a cage.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Big_John For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 11:10 AM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 32,217 Times in 9,272 Posts

Having problems this morning thinking so i'll ask a dumb question. Do we know if Lysol or bleach would kill this Coronavirus?
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post: