Notices

Advertise Here

Old 06-18-2019, 10:33 AM
Limited Access Member

Thanked 9,450 Times in 4,059 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmac View Post
At one of our LE quals, they had dueling plates. Most all the others there had switched to autos. but I was still carrying my trusty 6 shooter. We did a bracket competion, and me and my 357, but shooting 38sp. beat all the others INCLUDING THE INSTRUCTORS. All the auto guys were counting on speed.
, I was counting on accuracy.
Well said

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 10:54 AM
Survivor

Thanked 24,652 Times in 6,212 Posts

Yes.

And like mauser6863 said maybe some semi-auto stuff. I picked different semi-autos and different calibers based on different criteria then the generic needs of the military or police.

Tools are tools. I own a variety of wrenches, and a variety of screwdrivers, and a variety of hammers, and a variety of guns. For a variety of jobs.
The Following User Says Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 11:03 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,325 Times in 4,596 Posts

Quote:
At one of our LE quals, they had dueling plates. Most all the others there had switched to autos. but I was still carrying my trusty 6 shooter. We did a bracket competion, and me and my 357, but shooting 38sp. beat all the others INCLUDING THE INSTRUCTORS. All the auto guys were counting on speed.
To be realistic here, it was more likely the Indian, than it was the arrow.

While I tend to agree, and at least for me anyways, revolvers do tend to be more accurate when shooting deliberate groups. But its really not that great a difference either.

Shooting quickly, at speed, on multiple targets, and I shoot pretty much the same with either.

The biggest difference being, and instantly noticed, is I can do it longer with my autos.

Another thing I think that is often overlooked here between the autos and revolvers is, autos are the prevalent choice these days, and for a number of reasons. Realistic revolver shooting and training is, or is quickly becoming, a basically archaic "lost art".

Unless you were someone who grew up in the era revolver prominence and learned to shoot them properly, they do seem to be a bit more of a challenge for a lot of people. Go with what is often suggested for defensive use, the 2" snubby, and things just get exponentially worse, especially if you dont have a lot of experience.

Im a firm believer in being reasonably proficient with most anything I might come across and might have to pick up and use. You dont have to know every gun out there, but there are really only a couple of major types that you need to be familiar with and stay up on, to be able to pull things off. And thats really not hard at all, but it does take a little work on a regular basis.

If you had to learn just one, to me, that would be a good, mid-sized, medium frame, DA revolver, shot DAO. If you can shoot that well, you should have little trouble, shooting any of the other types. And this also carries over to long guns as well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2019, 11:29 AM
Limited Access Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
To be realistic here, it was more likely the Indian, than it was the arrow.

While I tend to agree, and at least for me anyways, revolvers do tend to be more accurate when shooting deliberate groups. But its really not that great a difference either.

Shooting quickly, at speed, on multiple targets, and I shoot pretty much the same with either.

The biggest difference being, and instantly noticed, is I can do it longer with my autos.

Another thing I think that is often overlooked here between the autos and revolvers is, autos are the prevalent choice these days, and for a number of reasons. Realistic revolver shooting and training is, or is quickly becoming, a basically archaic "lost art".

Unless you were someone who grew up in the era revolver prominence and learned to shoot them properly, they do seem to be a bit more of a challenge for a lot of people. Go with what is often suggested for defensive use, the 2" snubby, and things just get exponentially worse, especially if you dont have a lot of experience.

Im a firm believer in being reasonably proficient with most anything I might come across and might have to pick up and use. You dont have to know every gun out there, but there are really only a couple of major types that you need to be familiar with and stay up on, to be able to pull things off. And thats really not hard at all, but it does take a little work on a regular basis.

If you had to learn just one, to me, that would be a good, mid-sized, medium frame, DA revolver, shot DAO. If you can shoot that well, you should have little trouble, shooting any of the other types. And this also carries over to long guns as well.
One of those "big reasons" is people are sheep and follow what others do without questioning or reasoning.

Not that there is a wrong choice, but it's lazy to just grab the next man's 9mm and roll with it because some magazine or gun nut told you more is better. It can be, but hardly the end all be all of criteria.

I'll take a revolver over a semi and won't feel I'm in any kind of disadvantage. Reliability and power > capacity in my book.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:42 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,668 Posts

I prefer revolvers as I don't have to clean them as often to be sure they will fire. Also they are not picky about ammo brands or loads. I choose .357 with 4" barrel and mostly fire .38 spl. I keep it loaded with .357 as I may need to shoot through a door or glass and need the extra punch.

For carry it's a chest holster. If I want to conceal I carry under a shirt or jacket, unbutton or unzip if I see the need to be legal (no CCW). I live in a rural area and don't carry on the streets of my small town (under current conditions).
The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 11:54 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,160 Times in 2,481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by .455_Hunter View Post
A convertible Blackhawk let's you shoot .38, .357 and 9mm with just a cylinder interchange and no mags to lose or damage.
And while I own one it would literally be the last gun of mine I'd want in a gun fight. Single action revolvers are for playing cowboys and Indians. Double action revolvers are for hunting but Semiautos are for the here and now defensive situation.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marlin94 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 11:59 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doh Myn View Post
Because when tyrants decree that civilians are prohibited from possessing military caliber firearms and ammunition, .357 Magnum will still be legal.
Good idea! Let's prep for a possible future ban of all things. But why stop at revolvers? Lets just go ahead and prep for total confiscation. Quick sell all of your guns now while you still can!

Old 06-18-2019, 12:01 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by .455_Hunter View Post
I have no problem with carrying a revolver, even a SA, for self-defense. This is especially true if I can shoot three of the most popular cartridges in the county (more if you count the odd balls of .38 Short and Long Colt.)

What parts would you be wanting to replace? MidwayUSA won't be open for a Glock armorers kit either. You are not going to be plinking away your ammo cache anyway, so parts breakage would be low anyway.

What advantage does a Glock have over a Blackhawk for mud or really adverse conditions?- both will get to a point of failure if ignored.
How about you go ahead and stock up on all the spare parts now so you dont have to rely on Midway when something breaks. I currently have enough spare parts to rebuild my ARs and Glocks twice over.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:02 PM
Survivor

Quote:
I'll take speed and accuracy any day over just one. Give me an auto

Old 06-18-2019, 12:05 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
I prefer revolvers as I don't have to clean them as often to be sure they will fire. Also they are not picky about ammo brands or loads. I choose .357 with 4" barrel and mostly fire .38 spl. I keep it loaded with .357 as I may need to shoot through a door or glass and need the extra punch.

For carry it's a chest holster. If I want to conceal I carry under a shirt or jacket, unbutton or unzip if I see the need to be legal (no CCW). I live in a rural area and don't carry on the streets of my small town (under current conditions).
I have plenty of revolvers and love them for what they are but my Glocks arent picky about ammo either and they hold way more rounds and are much faster to reload.

The Following User Says Thank You to Marlin94 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 12:13 PM
Limited Access Member

Glocks are less reliable, can jam, can ad, and are less tactical.

.357 mag / 5.56 combination is most ideal imo. Capacity and accuracy for anything beyond point blank, and dependable performance and stopping power at point blank.

Aim true and transition fast.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:20 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFlame View Post
Glocks are less reliable, can jam, can ad, and are less tactical.

.357 mag / 5.56 combination is most ideal imo. Capacity and accuracy for anything beyond point blank, and dependable performance and stopping power at point blank.

Aim true and transition fast.

revolvers can jam too but God help you if they do.

Can AD? huh? they arent going off on their own

Are less tactical? yeah that is why all the military and SWAT use revolvers... oh wait...

Stop with this whole shot placement nonsense. Yes it does matter and it matters just as much no matter the gun. you will miss in a gun fight that is a proven fact. it has been happening since before autos existed. however you are already starting out with a huge deficit in the revolver department.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:21 PM
Survivor

I swear this place is turning into a Fudd factory.

The Following User Says Thank You to Marlin94 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 12:24 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
I prefer revolvers as I don't have to clean them as often to be sure they will fire. .
I have to disagree with that.

Especially if youre switching up between 38's and 357's (or similar with other calibers that allow it), and mainly shooting 38's out of the gun.

I shoot both revolvers and autos, and I think the autos tend to be more forgiving of a lack of cleaning than the revolvers. And if there are stoppages of any type, a lot easier to quickly get back into action, if need be.

The revolvers ability to switch up ammo and bullet types can also be its downfall if youre not up on cleaning/maintaining them. Those rings left in the cylinder from those 38's you shoot in practice, can quickly make getting 357's into the gun a problem if not impossible. And the accumulating lead on the face of the cylinder can also cause you issues, especially if your timing is a skosh off and/or the gap is just a tad tight.

Add to that, improper reloading techniques, and it only gets worse. Dumping the empties, "muzzle down", considerably increases your chances on getting crap under the extractor star, and the gun can quickly become sluggish to not shootable. Might not happen every time, but it is cumulative, and you will eventually see issues.

The simple recourse here is to maintain your stuff. Especially if its anything you intend to use in a serious manner. Ive never understood why people neglect things like this, but, it is what it is I guess. You can save yourself a lot of aggravation, and possibly even your life, with a little, simple care.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 12:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,118 Times in 3,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
what makes the 357 better for preppers than other calibers?

I've been looking at the kimber k6s.
I like that it is small and concealable, I was also wanting to take it out hunting and just it for personal protection out in the woods.

I was just wondering why some people and preppers choose the 357 over autoloaders.

Better in what sense...should have probably clarified that by being a bit more specific.

If you are looking at a kimber K6 then you are looking at a concealed carry weapon. Do preppers carry concealed? I would assume so, yet what they carry concealed is often ancillary to what they prep. It supports, is part of an overall package, it's not a one and done nor is it a stand alone. Neither do most preppers choose a single caliber to the exclusion of other calibers.

To answer what I assume is your question (looking for personal protection in the woods) a snubbie is fine for close and dangerous encounters with two legged critters on the streets or in the woods. If that is what you expect to be most likely, then you are GTG with the snubbie. If not then back to the drawing board...
Old 06-18-2019, 12:41 PM
Survivor

I need to qualify this statement I made, I prefer revolvers as I don't have to clean them as often to be sure they will fire. I always clean after firing, I just don't sit down every Saturday night cleaning and oiling my weapons, also my .357 is stainless steel.

BTW the K6 is a neat little package, I might consider one but I have never fired a snubby.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 01:11 PM
AimSmallMissSmall

Thanked 1,824 Times in 582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
so, people go with a gun thats cheaper on ammo, carries 3x as much ammo before reloading, less recoil equates to faster, more accurate followup shots.. but the only reason they're not carrying a 5-6 shot revolver is because they're limp wristers?.. comments like that are laughable, and proves that most people only carry magnum revolvers because they're scared someone is going to think less of them if they dont

spoken like a true "spray and pray" aficionado.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rustednail For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 01:53 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,209 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin94 View Post
I swear this place is turning into a Fudd factory.
Yes- Just because we disagree on whether a multi-caliber revolver may have more utility than a single caliber semi-auto in a post-SHTF scenario, I am a Fudd.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to .455_Hunter For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 01:55 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustednail View Post
spoken like a true "spray and pray" aficionado.....
"Spray and pray" is not a function of the weapon, its a function of the shooter, and can happen with anything, revolver or auto.

At least with the autos, you get to do it longer, and have a better chance at connecting with "something".

Usually, when I hear someone start to throw the old "spray and pray" thing around as a response to the choice of weapon, I usually assume they are either being disingenuous or lack a real understanding of things.

Id be willing to bet, or at least give it a try (and Im still betting on doing it too ), that I could shoot 17 rounds out of my Glock, starting at a low ready, and shooting just as quick as the front sight comes back on target, and still come up with a group, that was very similar, if not equal to, what someone doing the same with a revolver would come up with, shooting the same way, and same number of rounds, and do it at least twice as fast.

Spray related? Absolutely! Its a hose! Praying? Not a chance!
Old 06-18-2019, 02:26 PM
Survivor

I don't know how practical it is but in addition to reloads a revolver can handle wad cutters and custom modified projectiles. I have heard of LEOs hand modifying the nose of their issue ammo to reduce pass through for street safety. Also some people keep a cap powered rubber projectile in the first chamber for in-home safety. I have some plastic cap powered practice rounds but have never used them for anything.