Survivalist Forum banner

Airforce vs Army vs Marines Gear?

8K views 61 replies 28 participants last post by  Sharkbait 
#1 ·
Hello, I like mirroring my gear with military setups as a beginning outline and modifying it from there. I was wondering, who would you think to be better to follow? Airforce, Army, or Marines? I do not expect to be anywhere near the ocean. So I tend to move more toward the army than marines, although the army is usually well supplied compared to marines, so no need to carry as much on them. Airforce does carry survival gear, but I am not sure how helpful it would be to mirror them as they are the most well supplied.

I live about 15-20 miles inland from the Pacific Ocean in northern California. The area is a mild Mediterranian climate. countryside, a bit rural mixed with small cities and towns. The geography is oak/eucalyptus savannah, lots of grassland and hills. lots of open grass, with sparse oak/eucalyptus woodsy areas scattered around.

Here are some images to help you get an idea:
Natural landscape Hill Grassland Mountainous landforms Natural environment

Grassland Natural landscape Natural environment Pasture Meadow

Land lot Grassland Sport venue Natural landscape Grass

Mountainous landforms Highland Nature Natural landscape Hill

Natural landscape Sport venue Grassland Highland Hill

See less See more
#3 ·
I like to model my gear off insurgent and terrorist organizations as I think that is far more practical for a civilian than trying to emulate what a massive powerful high tech military with battleships, combat drones and an air-force is going to be equipped with.

#4 · (Edited)
So, grey man mixed with milsurp, with some terrain appropriate local hunting gear. Add a bit of tech savvy knowledge and I see a good place to be. :D:

Now for the OP. The military is set up to be a complimentary team. A HUGE complimentary team with differing aims and goals that lead to one end. There is no specific boot to strap into. They all have their place. I served with all branches in my Army days. I learned a lot in combat, so did those in other branches. The best thing you could do is talk to a local hunting pro and a backwoods camping person. Talk to outdoorsy local vets. They will tell you the same thing Aerindel or I did in my reply to him.
If you look like a soldier, you will die like one. They have toys of which you can never fathom. Learn your environment and choose the tool for the job. Most of the time emulating the military is going to be a negative. Go local. A local hunter will beat military cammo 99%. of the time. This is not to say military tools do not have their place. Arm yourself with ammo that they use. The rest is just a guess. I have been in 4 war theaters and my clothes and tools are better than what the military has. Most outdoors men/ vets, have found this also to be true. Feel free to keep this thread going and do it before the others kill you for such a post. hahahaha. Just playing, I see you are new"ish". Welcome to SB. Be tough, scenario playing brings out all types. ;) Beautiful pictures by the way.

#7 ·
But, yeah...it is what it is. Been around for too long and have seen too much. Posting here is my only downfall. But, hey, my boss still does not have my address right after 5 years.
At least 90% of the time I outright tell people my address they get lost trying to find it on the first try. It think its a normalcy bias thing. They take a look at my road and just can't believe it actually could be the right one and talk themselves into second guessing their GPS or directions and start looking for other roads even though they where right there looking at the right one in the first place.

#8 ·
I was talking w2's. hahahaha. The IRS cannot even send me a letter. They did call me once. No, I am not some tax protester. I should be but, I like my life. It is just funny.,.,... :D:

#9 ·
Hello, I like mirroring my gear with military setups as a beginning outline and modifying it from there. I was wondering, who would you think to be better to follow? Airforce, Army, or Marines?
If you want to be invisible and don't want anyone anywhere thinking you're any kind of threat, then definitely Air Force gear should be your choice. :thumb:

Also no matter where you buy the gear, it will be in perfect shape and seem practically new. :D:

#11 ·
Hello, I like mirroring my gear with military setups as a beginning outline and modifying it from there. I was wondering, who would you think to be better to follow? Airforce, Army, or Marines? I do not expect to be anywhere near the ocean.
What's your favorite service? Then, go down to your favorite services' local recruiting office and enlist. They'll help you with the latest trends in gear selection.

#12 ·
I wouldn’t mirror military kits by buying military gear. However, I do think you’re going about this intelligently by studying up on what they carry. If you can identify what needs a mil kit is built to satisfy, you can buy better and more efficient gear. They mostly include water purification, navigation, search and rescue, fire, first aid, knife, and protection from the weather. Instead of using a clunky lensatic compass, poncho, matches, uncomfortable/heavy framed backpack, etc., you could get a nice shell jacket, baseplate compass, lighters, and more from REI.

That being said, Army soldiers are the experts when it comes to pounding ground, so if that’s your local area I’d be looking at what they use.

#13 ·
Are you talking uniform camo? Load-carrying kit/plate carrier? Rucksack? A typical break down is usually:

Line One: Clothing / EDC
Line Two: From fighting load to a day-pack or sling-pack style
Line Three: Rucksack 72+ to Bug-Out-Bag

For clothing, I would model after the BDU style pants if you prefer them (Propper, Tru-Spec), but I would really recommend solid, drab colors that would match your area (brown, tans, coyote, etc.). With the broken up rural area, camouflage will simply stick out like a sore thumb. Same goes for your jacket. Something that is drab colored. If you have hunters in your area or if people wear a common hunting camo, that's an option...only if it's a common item worn.

Line Two gear can get tricky as you can go from gray-man Jansport pack to a full fighting loadout. I will say I've used and can really appreciate the modern "battle belt". They aren't over-loaded, but can be discrete under a larger coat or jacket from a distance.

Biggest question is what is your purpose, plan, assessed threats, or expected scenarios? That will drive the most appropriate gear and best recommendations.

ROCK6

#14 ·
Hello, I like mirroring my gear with military setups as a beginning outline and modifying it from there. I was wondering, who would you think to be better to follow? Airforce, Army, or Marines? I do not expect to be anywhere near the ocean. So I tend to move more toward the army than marines, although the army is usually well supplied compared to marines, so no need to carry as much on them. Airforce does carry survival gear, but I am not sure how helpful it would be to mirror them as they are the most well supplied.

I live about 15-20 miles inland from the Pacific Ocean in northern California. The area is a mild Mediterranian climate. countryside, a bit rural mixed with small cities and towns. The geography is oak/eucalyptus savannah, lots of grassland and hills. lots of open grass, with sparse oak/eucalyptus woodsy areas scattered around.

View attachment 285842

View attachment 285844

View attachment 285846

View attachment 285848

View attachment 285850
The best prep I can recommend to you is to get the hell out of kommiefornia; unless you are a dhimmikrat. Then, please stay there.

#15 ·
Army Brat. Go Army gear -- lightly. Only start with hunting gear and then add the military stuff.

Everything doesn't have to match! [Unless you want folks to think you are a rogue/deserter sort].

I'm personally going for the pleasantly plump, mid-sixties [age] country woman look.

[I do have some of my dad's old olive drab and khaki stuff about -- floppy hat and such. Don't wear them now. Might should I feel it is best. I'm talking Vietnam era things.]

I don't want anyone to think I am a threat or potential threat. And thus make myself a proper, real threat.

#19 ·
Honestly, if you’re looking for true SHTF gear, it would be something closer to what the locals or clandestine intelligence agents use in unstable parts of the world. Those people are living in real world SHTF hostile, lawless environments and they’re surviving anywhere from several years on an assignment to their entire life as a native. I think it’s important to note that while they may carry firearms, they’re certainly not walking around geared up like commandos.

Food for thought...

#20 ·
I think that what everybody is trying to tell you is: Consider your mission or goal.

From the looks of the photos, you live in an area that has a sort of Mediterranean climate. In other words it's pretty warm most of the time with little or no snow or ice for the most part. I imagine when it rains you sometimes get drenched but even those kinds of watery storms are few and far between. The land looks like it has a good amount of water available on it so you'll have access to creeks, ponds and so on. In other words, you live in a pretty nice area so whatever mission or goal you have in mind your type of gear won't be as important as how you do things and move. You might want to study up on how snipers move and train.

The nice thing is that almost all snipers use the same sort of gear so which ever type you pick it will reflect almost the same in the other services. About the only difference will be the color differences. White for snow and cold weather operations. Brown for desert work. Black and green for jungle warfare areas. In the area you're living in I would suggest the use of a lot of brown, flat brown coloration, to blend in with the local vegetation. You might also consider using some flat black as well for countershading purposes to act as "shadows areas."

#22 ·

View attachment 285842

View attachment 285844

View attachment 285846

View attachment 285848

View attachment 285850
Newbie asks a new-guy question, and instead of a vague and open-ended question he gives enough information (including pictures) for people to offer relevant suggestions. Great work.

Two big picture things to keep in mind in addition to the suggestions already made. First, recognize that every gear choice made by a servicemember is based on a long logistics tail. For example, most load-bearing gear is based on a mission profile that includes a quick reaction force or resupply if they need extra help. Rifle choice is based on team tactics that include supporting fields of fire, a medic on the team with medevac on standby, and a squad-level weapon in support. Even the first multicam pattern utilities fielded to conventional forces had an expected lifespan of about 8 weeks because we knew they could be replaced. (There are better ones now.)

That brings up the second point. MILSPEC doesn't just mean "made by the lowest bidder" like we joke about. It's usually pretty rugged because it has to meet certain standards, but those standards aren't top-of-the-line. MILSPEC gear is designed to average a certain lifespan before its designated replacement by that big logistics system, and to meet specs that may or may not be relevant to you.

So military gear as a template is fine, but don't default to it being the right choice or the best gear just because the military uses it. A lot of civilian options can outperform military gear.

But the biggest thing is to look at it all as a system--not how each piece works, or even how each piece works as a system with all of your individual gear, but how each individual's gear fits within the larger system to accomplish specific missions. Unfortunately, that's hard to learn without experiencing it...but certainly not impossible.

If military gear is what you want, check out GarandThumb's earlier videos on YouTube. He'll walk you through how to choose clothes, set up a battle belt and plate carrier, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/user/BritishTang

#23 ·
I gotta agree with others about the gray man argument.

I choose good overalls. They are durable, have lots of pockets, and because I wear them nearly every day, I'm comfortable with them. They're also pretty versatile in hot or cold weather. It just depends on what you wear underneath it.

I have pretty much a full Army setup but it basically just sits in storage never seeing the light of day. I check on it every few years and all seems fine.

There's only two Army items I keep readily available. The first is a tactical vest with a full (plus some) combat load-out. This is just to give me the ability to grab my rifle and the vest and have everything I need in case some crazy person tries to do crazy things.

The second, and far more useful to me, is my canteen with canteen cup. In particular the canteen cup. Sounds silly probably but whether in the Army or as a civilian this is just so useful. On deployment I can honestly say everyone used their canteen cup on a daily basis. For coffee, food, just about anything really. As a civilian it's useful in the same way if camping or just working away from the house all day. I'm convinced it's a totally underrated piece of equipment.

#24 ·
The second, and far more useful to me, is my canteen with canteen cup. In particular the canteen cup. Sounds silly probably but whether in the Army or as a civilian this is just so useful. On deployment I can honestly say everyone used their canteen cup on a daily basis. For coffee, food, just about anything really. As a civilian it's useful in the same way if camping or just working away from the house all day. I'm convinced it's a totally underrated piece of equipment.
Still use canteen cups today. Very versatile. Everyone of the bags I have set up for use other than the range has at least one GI canteen / canteen cup. I specifically look for the surplus steel ones. Too much Chinese aluminum knock-offs out there. Last 2 I got were stamped 1965 and were brand new!

Reactions: Bob3rd and Cornly2
#25 ·
Hello, I like mirroring my gear with military setups as a beginning outline and modifying it from there.

I was wondering, who would you think to be better to follow? Airforce, Army, or Marines?
First off a couple questions need to be answered.

1. How much do you want to carry?

2. How do you intend to move your kit?

3. How much do you want to spend?

I do not expect to be anywhere near the ocean.

the army is usually well supplied compared to marines
WHAT?

so no need to carry as much on them.
as them or on them?

Airforce does carry survival gear, but I am not sure how helpful it would be to mirror them as they are the most well supplied.
lol

I live about 15-20 miles inland from the Pacific Ocean in northern California. The area is a mild Mediterranian climate. countryside, a bit rural mixed with small cities and towns.
Ok let me get this straight you live within 15 miles of the coast and you don't intend to be near the ocean??

Ok dude. I am hoping you are a teen or uneducated as you sound a bit retarded.

Personally I have always gone army but I am so jealous of the marine kit, I only have a tshirt death before dishonour.

The big thing is cost. Marine force recon kit is uber expensive compared to grunt kit.

Its really that simple. Go marine if you are some privileged rich kid otherwise go army.

The other part is airforce, the airforce survival kit is amazing. It is light it is I dare say ranger worthy, the problem is you might need to be smart to survive using it. Research the airforce survival kit. The big stuff on that is that it is light.

Other than that go army for your kit, the ECWS stuff is cheap relatively and no longer US national guard so it isn't official USGI anymore to my knowledge so not confusing to wear as even the national guard doesn't wear it, if you want local camo just custom paint it, mineral based paints suggested.

Overall I'd look into the design of some Russian carriage systems.

Overall I would suggest you go army unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

I didn't really like APECs stuff to much, but I love absolutely love the ECWCS.

#28 ·
We mix what works for us, depending upon cost, durability and practically.

Have a bunch of military surplus gear and clothing put up in storage, US and German mostly. No line of service, just whatever hits the criteria mentioned above.

Ex:Scandinavian thermal underwear sets (new, a bunch), US army digital camo BDU pants used excellent condition (lots of them-cheap), Australian wool socks (new, a bunch), German fleck camo gortex overpants & jackets (a bunch)...etc etc

Not for us to use in “combat”, per say, but should something happen where the world as we know it implodes. We will have comfortable well wearing work clothes to rotate into our “normal” civilian work clothes thereby extending comfort and overall reducing wear.

Have just a few US army BDU digital camo tops, bought cheap on a whim. For us, they are far less practical vs the BDU pants as everyday outdoors working clothes.

Simply easier for us to do it that way (cost & time wise), rather than scouring Goodwill/yard sales/estate sales for luck of the draw. While we do hit the goodwill/yard sales/estate sales on occasion (less so nowadays), its more for fun or looking for a particular(s).

As to load bearing/plate carrier gear, that’s mostly a mix of US army surplus and civilian (bought super cheap, second hand). Seriously hoping to never have a need for that gear, outiside of training...

Reactions: Cornly2
#31 ·
I get a huge giggle about military gear fascination.

#36 ·
It's a hobby for some. I'll add that after I retired and did some contract work...it was the same problem. Most contractors all looked the same...cool gear that didn't fit in anywhere as they wanted to look like their military counterparts.

There's a balance and much of it depends on your location and what is commonly worn. Around most military installations, you'll find a larger number of people wearing surplus gear; in some circles it is a fashion.

I've taken several civilian gun classes and find it funny to see some guys who regularly wear their BDU cargo pants, 5.11 shirt, and some gun-related hat. They stick out a sore thumb and scream, "I'm Carrying Concealed"! I've learned to dress more casual, more drab, less tactical...works well in my area.

Moving up to a more "tactical gray man" concept, some older solid color surplus jackets work well to conceal my more serious gear but don't attract attention. I do like cargo pants, but avoid the BDU style for anything but work around the house or a quick run into town to pick up supplies from the local ACE Hardware store.

Again, if you're avoiding all contact and plan to patrol your property, scout local areas, or stalk game, camo-up. That location would be ideal for Multicam...just avoid the fire-resistant versions as they're not very robust.

ROCK6

#32 ·
Perhaps one should look into fashionable 'refugee wear'.
Based on historical documents, a popular item is a wheeled cart to haul your meager possessions.

#44 ·
Within both Army and Marine units there are groups who are well supplied and other groups that are always having to make-do or steal enough to survive from day-to-day. Supply situations have almost nothing to do with being close to any base because supplies can be airlifted to troops by airplanes and helicopters any more. Special Forces has resupply missions planned for deep inside hostile areas over long periods of time and many, many miles from their nearest friendly base of operation.

The difference between Army and Marine Corp gear is getting narrowed down as time passes because both groups now have input into development of new gear. They both tweak the gear as it is being developed. When it comes to field uniforms, the Marines like to put their emblem in the pattern of their clothing. The Army doesn't do that. When you get a set of some camouflaged clothing you might find the eagle, globe and anchor printed on the clothing if you carefully look for it.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...47C85FC58E6C0F19EB9847C85FC58E6C&&FORM=VRDGAR

#48 ·
The difference between Army and Marine Corp gear is getting narrowed down as time passes because both groups now have input into development of new gear.
And also because the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan don't have beachheads, but the Marines kick ass inland, too. So in terms of actual combat operations and the resulting gear innovations, littoral environments haven't provided the number of real-world reps for either service that urban and mountainous environments have. Or even densely vegetated areas approaching jungle-like ops in Iraq's date orchards and some areas around Jalalabad, AFG.

#49 ·
As a shortcut to speed up the learning process, it's not a bad approach. People know thought has been put into creating a system that works together, and there's a minimum standard for durability. So rather than figuring out how to put together a kit from scratch, you take someone else's plan and backwards-engineer the logic...then you know what to tweak for your own kit. By looking at each piece of gear and figuring out why it was chosen, it highlights decision criteria that a newbie may not know even existed.

But I'm sure lot of people just think it looks cool. For example, these handsets plug into Baofeng radios. There are other ways to achieve the same capability, but these look military so they sell. They even make them for Yaesu HTs. They help with noise discipline over a regular HT or shoulder mic, but you could get that with the earpiece that ships with the radio.

Electronic device Technology Microphone Audio equipment Audio accessory

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.