Survivalist Forum banner

Favorite Lures

9K views 40 replies 31 participants last post by  charliemeyer007 
#1 ·
I know it is dependent on where, when, and what you are fishing for.....

For my area I really like the segmented lures that simulate a swimming fish.
I have caught, small and large mouth bass, crappie, and of course squaw fish.

This one in a few color patterns has done really well (generic pic). Got a pretty large crappie the other day at a local pond, I have just not had luck with plastics no matter the rig.

A lot of trout in the area too, but I just cant get them to hit anything but salmon eggs on a bobber, I just get bored with waiting. But we do have two pole licences and that lets me run that and my crank bait at the same time.

See less See more
#5 ·
I bought a lure from a sporting goods store a while back. Lost it on a really hard hit, it had caught a lot of game fish. I really wish I had kept the box so I could get another, as I cant find it or anything close. I have looked at thousands of online image searches no luck. I now take a picture of what I buy so I can go back and get it, or know what it is I am actually using. As most the the stuff in a baitshop is designed to catch the roaming angler more than the fish. I know I am guilty of that, because I have bought stuff that I had no idea if it would work.

It was a heavy med diving shad type, with a vertical rainbow hologram type pattern that color shifted. I believe it was a Japanese design/name?? anyway on a braided line this thing would vibrate so hard you could feel it in the pole. On a shuddering fast retrieve was when it was hit the most. I swear you could hear it 20yds out the vibration was so hard.

#7 ·
I almost exclusively use rooster tails. Have 4 ammo cans full of em. Catch a ton of rainbows, browns, bass, blue gill, and crappie.

Firetiger with the silver blade for muddy water. Rainbow trout with silver or gold blade when visibility is better. In the river I use 1/16th and 1/8 oz. On the res I'll go up to 1/6. Sometimes I'll use the bleeding frog at the crappie ponds.

On the rare occasion I'm trolling for big fish (lake trout, walleye, pike) it's perch rapalas.

Step son uses thomas boyant spoons. Brown trout and rainbow color schemes. He does catch fish. I catch more.

#10 ·
A good way to phrase the question, If you are packing for a long hiking trip, and you are certain to have many fishing opportunities, what gear would be worth carrying? I will be carrying a multi piece spin fishing rod, an ultra light Mitchell spin reel, and a tiny Plano case with several hundred hooks, and six lure types.

Dardevel spoons
Panther Martin Spinners
Rapala Foating Minnow Lures
Lazy Ike Lures
6" Plastic Worms
1/4 oz Spinner Bait
Clippers, Pliers, Swivels, Floats, Sinkers, Jar of Salmon Eggs.

If my info suggests trout or salmon at high altitudes, I'll carry a 4wt fly rod as well.

Attachments

#11 ·
#2 plain silver (no feathers) blue fox vibrax. I have caught giant trout, smallmouth and largemouth bass, pike, pickerel, bluegills, crappies, and even tilapia. If I had only one lure on me, it would be the silver blue fox. Hooks are sharp, action great, and it is a fish catching machine!

#16 ·
My favorite is what ever I have gotten free time to chunk & reel. Not much free time to fish last few years.

Spinners of varying sizes, shapes, weights and colors have worked for me on every type fish I ever fished for. I do like a floating jointed minnow for large mouth once we hit this time of the year. A rubber worm, lizard or tube will slap wear out large mouth year round where I live. I always have a spinner tied to one rod no matter what even if bait fishing.

.44 magnum, .22 lr and a frog gig work quite well also LOL.:eek:

#38 ·
My favorites are various flies depending on the hatch, Rapala countdown and X-rap lures, and Vibrax Blue Fox spinners.

We catch brookies on....anything, really.

When we go into the mountains with the scouts, we have contests about the weirdest things to catch a brookie with. I've personally had success with beanie wienies (the bean OR the wienie), a cigarette butt I picked up off the trail, and an aspen leaf.:thumb:

Scouts have used gummy bears, buttons, pencil erasers, zipper pulls, bottle caps, pull tabs, bits of paracord...it's fun seeing kids get excited and creative about things like that.:thumb:

#29 ·
I fish for Muskie and Pike a lot you can get most any type of lure you want @ Rollie and Helen's Muskie Shop, I've had lots of luck with the big (Real Big) spinner baits both single and tandem blades. I like them dressed with buck tail but have had good luck with rubber as well.

Stick baits,divers,are a whole other discussion. Like all other fishing there is are boat loads of lures to hook any angler.

It really depends how the lakes are laid out. Weed edges and structure are key to finding fish.

One other thing is leaders, I used to use steel but have switched to the titanium leaders. Steel is plenty strong but tend to get kinked if you catch many fish, the titanium leaders are thinner for the same weight rating and hold up extremely well.

I recommend the super braid lines as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.