Who has their potatoes planted? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weedinhoe's 2016-2020 Garden Weedinhoe Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 1390 Today 02:50 PM
How To Cut and Plant Potatoes AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 03-27-2018 02:00 PM
Who has their seed potatoes? kev Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 22 02-25-2018 09:25 AM
How To Pick Seed Potatoes For Your Spring Garden AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 1 02-23-2018 03:57 PM
Has Anyone Planted Fall Potatoes? Weedinhoe Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 34 02-06-2018 12:54 PM

Old 03-28-2018, 10:31 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 39,688 Times in 7,909 Posts
Default Who has their potatoes planted?

Advertise Here

Got my potatoes in the ground a few days ago, which is about a month behind schedule. Usually, I like to plant anywhere from the middle to the end of February. However, this year has been unusually wet. The field just now dried up enough to use the tractor and tiller in.

I skipped the fertilizer, but plan on coming back with some in the next couple of weeks.

First fertilizer application will be 13-13-13

Second application about six weeks later will be 10-20-10.

Some people cut their potatoes several days ahead of time, and then dip the cuttings in something like lime or fireplace ashes. I have tried cutting them early, and the potato seemed to dry out before it was planted.

In all, I only planted a row around 50 feet long. Which is not much. A few years ago I planted three rows around 100 feet long each.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2018, 10:46 AM
gardener & news junkie

Thanked 5,172 Times in 2,073 Posts

Ours were planted March 5th and in the past two days are starting to poke through. I think the first few shoots got fried by frost about ten days ago. This year I bought the sets at the feed & seed and chose small potatoes that didn't need cutting.

Just two 11' rows (one Red Norland, one Yukon Gold) and about 7 hills of old Russets from the grocery. They had grown 2" sprouts while in the closet where they're stored (we don't eat a lot of potatoes) and were planted just for grins and giggles as Russets aren't supposed to do well in this area.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weedinhoe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2018, 03:10 PM
Canning queen

Thanked 1,285 Times in 627 Posts

I cut and dry mine - it prevents pests from gaining access to the seed plant like they would if it was wet and open. They dry out a bit, but then 2 days later, you plant and they have a seal against problems. Mine aren't planted yet. I whoopsed (yes, I just made that word up and have declared it part of Miriam Webster ;-) ) last fall and left my potato crop out to cure, but it froze overnight and then they were mush. So, I've had to buy new seed potatoes this spring. They aren't here yet. Don't expect 'em until the middle of May.

I plant Adirondack Blues and Reds, plus Yukon Gem. And some Kennebec, as those are usually what we buy from the store on years we buy potatoes. Those have, in the past, gotten a bit hairy for dh, who declared them seed potatoes, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2018, 03:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,998 Times in 5,341 Posts

Mine are in the ground but if any are up I will have to cover them. Freezes are possible for 3 days time, starting tomorrow evening.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kansas Terri For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2018, 03:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 24,085 Times in 8,475 Posts

My yard guy whacks everything. God love him, he thinks everything is a weed. He does stay away from my jasmine, and my wandering jew, but I don't have the garden anymore.

The yard guy works for free (we're his good deed), and has a language barrier so too hard to communicate. He speaks Gatorade and good job, though.
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2018, 04:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,463 Times in 3,068 Posts

I have to wait a month and half. The ground is still frozen!

My seed potatoes are ready to go though!
Old 03-28-2018, 05:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,294 Times in 1,794 Posts

Only about 4 inches of snow left on the garden.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:44 PM
patriarch

Thanked 5,943 Times in 2,844 Posts

We have always planted potatoes on or near Good Friday. The garden has been tilliable and maybe couple cool nights after they sprout.

NOT THIS YEAR

The weather is crazy, Good Friday is early, or what the hell! It has rained 4 of the last 5 days. Forecast is rain, rain rain. Warm days, cold nights, and rain combination.
My garden is a mess. I'm splitting wood, installing fence, and working on a new rabbit shed. Trying to stay busy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to two bits For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2018, 11:39 PM

So far I've only planted 3 hills around the first of this month and I still didn't see any green. Had to scratch around and found they are still good, but growing more root than top, I will be planting more as the weather warms. I am aiming for succession planting to have a continual crop instead of just one big one. I figure that I can plant up until around August or so to get a fall harvest. The real trick will be to find enough room
Old 03-29-2018, 12:47 AM

This will be my first time planting them in containers . We dont plant around here till about Mothers Day to avoid late season frosts . I'll be trying out reds and Yukon golds .
Old 03-29-2018, 09:23 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,298 Times in 717 Posts

I have planted 2 beds over the last week. It got cold for a few days, but it has warmed up again. Onions are up and a few weeds are trying to put in an appearance.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:30 AM
gard'ner

Thanked 1,014 Times in 517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
My yard guy whacks everything. God love him, he thinks everything is a weed. He does stay away from my jasmine, and my wandering jew, but I don't have the garden anymore.

The yard guy works for free (we're his good deed), and has a language barrier so too hard to communicate. He speaks Gatorade and good job, though.

I'm sorry, but that's just wrong.
I'd rather let the grass grow up to my waist, and have food in the garden than have a freebie landscaper who thought everything green needed to be mowed or weed-whacked.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to st0n3 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2018, 03:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 19,444 Times in 5,606 Posts

Five more weeks. Can't wait!
Old 03-30-2018, 09:13 PM
Target Shooter

I dug two trenches (47 ft each) and planted the first batch of potatoes a couple of days ago. I'll plant some more in a week or ten days.

Post Scriptum:

I just watched your video. Interesting, wish I knew how to make films. I have a minor difference to the cutting. I dip my knife in alcohol after every cut just in case the potato has a virus. I don't wish to pass it on to the next potato I cut in two. Your spuds look like bought seed potatoes so the chance of viruses is less.

I dig a trench and the potatoes are substantially below ground level. As the shoots come up I'll cover them mostly, just a small about of shoot showing, several times with earth. It helps to keep the weeds down as the mound is made.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:39 AM
Survivor

Thanked 63,931 Times in 20,416 Posts

My saved (from last year) potatoes are VERY ready.
But I think the ground is too wet. (Been raining)

How dry does it need to be?
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2018, 08:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 19,444 Times in 5,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
My saved (from last year) potatoes are VERY ready.
But I think the ground is too wet. (Been raining)

How dry does it need to be?
It's okay if the ground is damp. Don't plant when/where there's standing water or soupy mud. Watch your weather and try to find a time when it hasn't rained for 3-5 days.

If your seed potatoes are sprouting too much you can put them in the fridge to slow them down a bit.
The Following User Says Thank You to thyme2bprepped For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2018, 11:56 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 5,148 Times in 1,303 Posts

I would have by now but 5" of rain the last five days and more expected for the next 5 days has turned my garden into a mud hole. Maybe I should be building an ark instead.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:11 PM
patriarch

Thanked 5,943 Times in 2,844 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Illinois View Post
I would have by now but 5" of rain the last five days and more expected for the next 5 days has turned my garden into a mud hole. Maybe I should be building an ark instead.
I feel your pain. Maybe pontoons at least.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:41 PM
Prepared

I'll be planting around 10-20lbs a week for the next couple of weeks. I can't store very many, but I have a market for 50-100lbs a week come July. I also got about 600 onion sets in I'll be planting in stages to sell as well.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:19 PM
Prepared

Last weekend I planted 4 varieties in 4 30 gallon repurposed storage tubs, I'm getting too damn old to plant rows and then have to bend over to mound the sprouts, I can sit in my easy chair and mound if necessary. If things go right, I'll have plenty to add to cold storage and dehydrating for me and my wife. Even though we've had some snow and rain lately, it's been a rather dry winter up here in the mountains.
The Following User Says Thank You to Valgard Murray For This Useful Post: