Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gloves for edc pack / animal rescue attempt Woodswalker General Discussion 5 05-28-2017 10:33 PM
Eagle Claw Snelled Baitholder Hooks Size 10 (6 Pack) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 01-16-2017 12:38 PM
Opinions on my BOB/ INCH bag contents 88horizon5speed Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 60 12-12-2016 09:36 AM
MOLLE gear - Waist pack w/ webbing on back or DIY load belt w/ pouches? zuren Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 0 11-30-2016 03:54 PM
EDC in vehicle BOB or something else? Popeye Doyle Knives, Swords & Axes 19 11-03-2016 09:13 AM

Old 06-20-2017, 12:48 PM

Default Pack Size Opinions! EDC-BOB-EOTW

Advertise Here

Hello, new to the forum!

Currently for my large pack I'm running with an Eberlestock V69 Destroyer, and I love it but I feel it's just a bit much most of the time. That and here's no good spot for a rifle that isn't awkward, and. It's just 'messy'. A lot of extra fabric hanging around. Also, in a SHTF scenario where I need to be as mobile as possible, a 60L pack isn't the best for evasive maneuvers and hunkering down when necessary.

As far as a day pack, I have an Osprey Manta 28, but sometimes I feel it's just a bit small for EDC and then definitely too small for in case of emergency.

So what I'm thinking is to sell my Manta 28, Sell my V69 Destroyer, go more Ultralight oriented with my gear, and just get an Eberlestock Fac Track Pack as a good hybrid.

My main concern other than price point of the whole sell used buy new factor, is the sizing issues.

I want a one pack does all type of pack. Pretty much the versatility of Molle webbing on a day pack, that is also big enough when needed and can be used for backpacking trips with ultralight gear. I just don't want to wish I had more space, or stick out like a sore thumb carrying a 30L pack around.

As far as city trips I have an old school messenger bag mainly for business as well as minor edc that holds just enough stuff.

The pack situation is more for hiking, camping, and travelling.

Would I regret selling my 2 packs for one in between size?

Any recommendations I'm all ears!

Or if you know of someone selling a Fac Track Pack for less than $289/$299 let me know!

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2017, 12:39 AM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,513 Times in 11,533 Posts

go to Hill people gear, www.hillpeoplegear.com check out the ute, Terahuma and ashton house. all their gear is top notch, and you can add to from their selection of compression sacks, Kit bags, belts, pockets i picked up one of their heavy recon Kit bags first to try out quality, ended up with a UTE , with compression bag ,belt and some extras. working on getting my kid the Terahuma and outfitting her out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2017, 01:05 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 14,930 Times in 5,133 Posts

can you just compress/tie-down your 60L pack?

I did that with my 45L pack. I filled it about 1/3 full and tightened all the straps and used a bungee cord to get it tighter. This way, I have the option to add to the pack, if there's a need. Like if I'm walking in winter at 10*F and the next day it's 60*F -- that happens where I live -- then I can cram all my layers inside the pack.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:57 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 5,459 Times in 1,850 Posts

I have a very lightly used SnugPak Rocket Pak 70L olive drab, www.snugpak.com/outdoor/rocketpak which I am no longer using, having changed over to a much smaller pack since I retired. For the curious, this is what I am now using https://countycomm.com/collections/b...-maratac-rev-4

Shipped free to APO/FPO address or US duty station for active duty military.

National Guard, Reservist, Emergency Management, Fire Service, Search & Rescue or Law Enforcement, shipped free upon authentication from command that equipment will be used for official duties so that my donation is tax deductible.

Send PM.

Wannabes sorry, can't help you. This item is not "For SALE"
Old 07-03-2017, 12:56 AM

Thanks for the links and advice!

I'll check out the packs. I think I've heard of hillpeoplegearbefore but I'll double check.

I tried sinching it all down, but man are there a lot of straps. I also think for now it's a bit big for me. I like the Fact Tracks it's very clean, and it's carry on size which is great for travel.

I won't be able to do any heavy trekking since I'll now be on blood thinners indefinitely, so the most I can go is a few days here and there. I'm sure I could do more if I really wanted to, but not until I get my health in order.

I appreciate the info!!
Old 07-03-2017, 12:06 PM
Survivor

Bump on the SnugPak Rocket Pack.

It still available for donation to a qualified individual or organization.

While having those burgers and beer on the 4th, thank a Vet.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,381 Times in 3,840 Posts

I love the eberlestock g1 little brother. It works good by itself, but it's the base pack for a larger system if you feel you need more room.
The whole pack system is called Skycrane. Worth a look
Old 07-04-2017, 05:59 PM

Outpost, are you saying that you are trying to donate your snug pack?
Old 07-04-2017, 06:24 PM
Sam Adams was right....

Thanked 18,681 Times in 5,447 Posts

IMHO modularity is the way to go...

example:

EDC = Direct action Dragon Egg (1590 cu in / 25 liters)
BOB = Eberlestock Phantom (2800 cu in / 45 liter) with Top Lid fanny pack (900 cu in / 14 liter)
INCH (EOTW) = add in the 5.11 Rush Tier system strap set and combine the two... (5290 cu in / 86 liter )

and it looks something like this...

Taking it a step further you could "Greyman" your EDC saving the harder use more tactical looking stuff for your BOB/INCH ..... when no one will care..
Old 07-05-2017, 02:32 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM2FMFDOC View Post
Outpost, are you saying that you are trying to donate your snug pack?
Roger that, got your PM and replied.
The Following User Says Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post: