Simple and Cheap Shotgun reloading setup - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Simple and cheap preps Walleye Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 15 02-26-2016 11:07 PM
What is the most simple all around bait/setup to use for fish? Everymanalion Boating and Fishing 48 02-18-2016 07:44 PM
Cheapest reloading setup .45 ACP Firearms General Discussion 34 12-18-2015 04:16 PM
My simple solar setup for the RV video Sturedman DIY - Do It Yourself 0 09-11-2014 09:20 AM
A simple, single Solar Panel setup? ohBehave Urban Survival 41 07-31-2014 05:59 PM
My simple solar panel RV setup - Easily scaled up willthrill81 DIY - Do It Yourself 3 07-30-2014 09:22 PM
Simple cheap preps NorthernLAprepper Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 10-29-2013 11:08 AM
Shotgun Reloading Setup Malaz Shotgun Forum 9 12-02-2012 09:39 PM
How much does a basic reloading setup cost? A-Team Shotgun Forum 16 05-15-2011 04:05 PM
Please help me spec a Lee reloading setup on Midway veganfarmer Firearms General Discussion 6 11-22-2010 04:11 PM

Old 07-13-2016, 12:16 AM

Default Simple and Cheap Shotgun reloading setup

Advertise Here

I have an NEF single shot 20 gauge and I want to get a simple and cheap kit for reloading shells for it, any recommendations? Any help is much appreciated. I'm also fine with making my own kit but I don't know what to buy, so if you know please tell.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2016, 12:54 AM
Trapper

Might be able to might find an old Lee Loader on E-bay, or if you're lucky... a yard sale (the ones on eBay are usually priced high) Might try Lanes reloading who make a similar product to the old Lee Loader, ( I think they're around $35)
I had an old wooden kit gifted to me when I was 10 or so, dunno who made it. I never could get a pretty crimp with plastic shells though, as it was made to work with paper. It was pretty simple, dowels for different gauges, a inletted block to set or remove primers, a primer punch, a crimping block, with a ram, and neat little brass powder and shot measures. The only other metal on it was a short pin on the primer punch. I'm pretty sure I could run one up in an afternoon.
Might be able to seal the crimp with a glue gun. They didn't have those in 59.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minitruck83 View Post
Might be able to might find an old Lee Loader on E-bay, or if you're lucky... a yard sale (the ones on eBay are usually priced high) Might try Lanes reloading who make a similar product to the old Lee Loader, ( I think they're around $35)
I had an old wooden kit gifted to me when I was 10 or so, dunno who made it. I never could get a pretty crimp with plastic shells though, as it was made to work with paper. It was pretty simple, dowels for different gauges, a inletted block to set or remove primers, a primer punch, a crimping block, with a ram, and neat little brass powder and shot measures. The only other metal on it was a short pin on the primer punch. I'm pretty sure I could run one up in an afternoon.
Might be able to seal the crimp with a glue gun. They didn't have those in 59.
Ya sadly the only lee loaders I could find were in pistol and rifle calibers. I'm thinking of putting a kit together like Dave Cantenbury's ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_Q5G_HR4LU )

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2016, 01:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,462 Times in 2,905 Posts

If you are reloading any significant amount, this is really not simple and you are aware that this video is explaining reloading black powder loads.

Personally my recommendation is completely off the mark for what you are wanting, but I would recommend a lee load all in 20 gauge for $59.99, I would also recommend the latest copy of the Lyman's Shotshell Reloading Data ($20) for verified/trusted data on loads, unless you trust the internet, then you could always get a recipe from online (which I DO NOT recommend, in fact forget I even suggested that).

Primers, One pound of smokeless powder (Red Dot is about the same price as Pyrodex) , a bag of wads(which you may find is cheaper in the long run than that wool and shot cards), a bag of shot (which you have to buy regardless)and you are set.

Yes, the original outlay is kind of pricey but then you have a good starting point to learn reloading. Plus, in the time you take to make 5 rounds using the hand method you'll have a box done with the lee load all, complete with resized brass and crimp.

Last edited by swen_out_west; 07-13-2016 at 04:38 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swen_out_west For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2016, 04:33 AM
Survivor

Now with the above said, If you really only are reloading one or two every once in awhile and it gets used in the same gun the hull came out of, you can set it up to do your own by hand. I know there's somebody on SB that actually hand crimps using a screwdriver. Maybe he'll chime in eventually.

If not lanesreloading.com sells a hand loader in all gauges and length's, only it costs as much as a Lee Load-All.
The Following User Says Thank You to swen_out_west For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2016, 06:25 AM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 13,267 Times in 5,792 Posts

I've seen used MEC reloaders online in the 40 to 50 dollar range.
The Following User Says Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swen_out_west View Post
If you are reloading any significant amount, this is really not simple and you are aware that this video is explaining reloading black powder loads.

Personally my recommendation is completely off the mark for what you are wanting, but I would recommend a lee load all in 20 gauge for $59.99, I would also recommend the latest copy of the Lyman's Shotshell Reloading Data ($20) for verified/trusted data on loads, unless you trust the internet, then you could always get a recipe from online (which I DO NOT recommend, in fact forget I even suggested that).

Primers, One pound of smokeless powder (Red Dot is about the same price as Pyrodex) , a bag of wads(which you may find is cheaper in the long run than that wool and shot cards), a bag of shot (which you have to buy regardless)and you are set.

Yes, the original outlay is kind of pricey but then you have a good starting point to learn reloading. Plus, in the time you take to make 5 rounds using the hand method you'll have a box done with the lee load all, complete with resized brass and crimp.
Ya I'm aware those were black powder loads, and I just feel a little more comfortable with black powder because it is less of a hazard if you mis-meausure. But The Lee loader press sounds great the only problem is I really don't have a dedicated space for any of this.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:26 PM
59840 - could fix a lot

Thanked 11,482 Times in 3,090 Posts

$55

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/436...lbEaAoen8P8HAQ

[/thread]

thank me
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wtr100 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2016, 01:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,154 Times in 2,205 Posts

I used a Lee load all for a while. Not a bad unit, I gave it too my son. I have a couple of Mec 600 units. They work great. I set unit up to load one gauge and one load. Low base 7 1/2. With California's backward hunting laws, I will be converting to steel. I shoot so few high base rounds that I just buy them. Seeing the writing on the wall, I started purchasing steel 4-5 years ago. It sits on a shelf. In the current state of stuff, I would just purchase a loader off Ebay. Lead shot is expensive. Consider steel with its special loading requirements.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2016, 02:55 PM
Survivor

The cool thing about a lee load all is that you can mount it to a board and with two C-clamps mount it to most tables. So you really don't need a dedicated space. I had mine as a portable setup for years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swen_out_west For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2016, 03:04 PM
59840 - could fix a lot

Thanked 11,482 Times in 3,090 Posts

Quote:
The cool thing about a lee load all is that you can mount it too a board and with to C-clamps mount it to most tables. So you really don't need a dedicated space. I had mine as a portable setup for years.
what he said works like a charm, especially because you don't need all that much force compered to say rifle or pistol rounds
The Following User Says Thank You to wtr100 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2016, 03:34 PM

Lee load all 2 runs less than 60.00, can be had at Walmat, and is sometimes available with free shipping if you cant get one locally.

Basic reloader, nothing fancy, but it works, and is cheap.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paddyfritz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2016, 05:37 PM

Just get the Lee Load-All in 20 gauge with a good manual and you're set.

The powder and component companies even provide data pamphlets for free.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tristan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2016, 06:02 PM

Default Reloading

MEC 600 jr, you will not be disappointed, I have loaded thousands of 12 ga loads without a hiccup
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to damnskippy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtr100 View Post
Plus $22 for the 20ga conversion.
The Following User Says Thank You to IdahoNative For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2016, 06:30 PM
Hunting in Oklahoma

Thanked 3,175 Times in 907 Posts

Quote:
The cool thing about a lee load all is that you can mount it to a board and with two C-clamps mount it to most tables. So you really don't need a dedicated space. I had mine as a portable setup for years.
I do this with my mec 600. Heck with a wide enough piece of board you don't even really need to clamp it down.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KHos For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoNative View Post
Plus $22 for the 20ga conversion.
I think I'm just going to buy the 20 gauge press, since the 20 gauge is the only shotgun I have.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnskippy View Post
MEC 600 jr, you will not be disappointed, I have loaded thousands of 12 ga loads without a hiccup
Maby in the future, but I can't really afford that right now.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:

Will I need something to weigh my loads? Or does something come with the lee loader to do that with?
Old 07-13-2016, 09:20 PM

My opinion is to go with a Lee loading press. They are inexpensive and will do a decent job of loading you shells. I had one at one time and the problem I have with them is that you are locked into only a few choices as to what you can load. And make sure you use the same shells for each of you different loads. The wad column and the shot charge regulate the quality of your crimp and load. As someone else noted, Red Dot is a good choice and is a very versatile powder. Use a dowel to check the depth of the shells and don't try to mix them with a given load. You will find that you need to adjust powder/shot or wad to achieve a good crimp. Federals and WW double A's are my favorite hulls. If you are only loading for hunting, survival and not going to be burning a lot of ammo then the Lee Press will serve you well. Buy a reloading manual and study it, I am partial to Lyman and they put out a shot shell loading manual, they will take you through each step. In fact you may want to get the manual first and read the how to, on shot shell loading. There are tons of companies out there that sell presses and wads, or try GunBroker.com for you press, go on line and look under reloading and you will be amazed at the number of dealers. When you first start out you will create a few shootem ups that have bad crimps or what ever. To pull a wad out of the hull and to open a crimp, try using a corkscrew, works great for disassembling shells the are screwed up. It's a great hobby and is fun to do besides saving you money, good luck and enjoy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to milray For This Useful Post: