standard patrol packing list - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My INCH Bag, Complete with Photos, Diagram, and Packing List Tap Water Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 128 07-10-2016 09:15 AM
New File Added: Sample BOB packing list OLDWarrior64 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 14 08-10-2015 08:47 PM
Schindler's List Producer - Next List Will Be About America? East Coast Woods General Discussion 6 01-27-2014 07:30 PM
Recommended packing list for EOTW backpack. KDOG Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 17 07-17-2013 01:50 PM
CIA: 2010 US Balance Sheet: Top of the Debt List, Bottom of the Current Account List Sundsvall Financial Forum 14 03-04-2012 01:57 AM
Packing List for Bug Out Cabin tecumseh Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 18 09-06-2011 09:01 PM
WISH/WANT/NEED List, Pending and Completed List goose3 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 07-03-2011 09:01 PM
The GOLD Standard...or SILVER? or BREAD STANDARD? Watchman220 Financial Forum 8 01-27-2010 09:08 PM
Packing list for a BOB bowhunter Reviews and questions 10 08-02-2009 09:25 PM

Old 05-19-2014, 11:12 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,158 Times in 507 Posts
Default standard patrol packing list

Advertise Here

So since my other post got so much crap for being heavy I thought I would share my standard packing list for patrols around my ao
Alice pack medium
Ponch
Poncho liner
550 cord
Sam splint
Wrap
Katadyn filter
E tool
2 2 quarts
5 mres
2 shirts
4 pair socks
duct tape
Matches
Wet weather top
25 batteries
if you were to not have mres the stove and food stuffs increase the weight
Weighing in at 25 pounds this would be with my worn list on my other thread. Total gear weight 56 lbs with vest ammo 8 mags my kit
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to infntryman86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2014, 11:14 PM
Hunter

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to infntryman86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2014, 11:35 PM
The Hawks Nest

Thanked 23,310 Times in 8,363 Posts

I'm assuming you have a flashlight. However, I'm guessing that isn't what all 25 batteries are for.
The Following User Says Thank You to hawk55732 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2014, 11:39 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
I'm assuming you have a flashlight. However, I'm guessing that isn't what all 25 batteries are for.
Yes I have a headlamp a small mag light and nvgs. The 25 batteries are for my gps and flashlight. Just forgot to put it because it's in my kit
The Following User Says Thank You to infntryman86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2014, 02:05 PM
Average Joe

Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by infntryman86 View Post
So since my other post got so much crap for being heavy I thought I would share my standard packing list for patrols around my ao
Alice pack medium
Ponch
Poncho liner
550 cord
Sam splint
Wrap
Katadyn filter
E tool
2 2 quarts
5 mres
2 shirts
4 pair socks
duct tape
Matches
Wet weather top
25 batteries
if you were to not have mres the stove and food stuffs increase the weight
Weighing in at 25 pounds this would be with my worn list on my other thread. Total gear weight 56 lbs with vest ammo 8 mags my kit
You have a poncho and a wet weather top? Seems like one or the other should suffice. Maybe substitute some wet weather bottoms for the top, since you already have the poncho.

What do you have 5 MREs and 4 pairs of socks for, if this is a loadout for a simple patrol? The majority of patrols are less than 24 hours, so I'm not sure I see the need for so much food and socks. 4 pairs? I can see maybe 1 extra pair at most, but 4 is just too many.

Same with batteries. If you start your patrol with good batteries, how many sets can you run through in only 1 day?
The Following User Says Thank You to TDFbound For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2014, 04:32 PM
Hunter

A simple patrol in my opinion can be 3 days. A one day patrol would only be my gear and a camel back.
The poncho is pretty useless as a wet weather top never in 9 years of military have I worn the poncho just used it as shelter or to cover stuff.
The bbatteries get eaten pretty quick by my gps it uses 4 at a time. My radio has a AA batery pack for when the main battery dies. And my nvgs run on two AA wish I could've got the single AA ones but I got what I could.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:55 PM
Sua Sponte

Thanked 2,582 Times in 635 Posts

Quote:
A simple patrol in my opinion can be 3 days. A one day patrol would only be my gear and a camel back.
The poncho is pretty useless as a wet weather top never in 9 years of military have I worn the poncho just used it as shelter or to cover stuff.
The bbatteries get eaten pretty quick by my gps it uses 4 at a time. My radio has a AA batery pack for when the main battery dies. And my nvgs run on two AA wish I could've got the single AA ones but I got what I could.
You know. If you leave on a three day patrol that means you are away from your retreat for three days. Considering the amount of space that one man can cover, that is pretty much needle and haystack stuff.

Now, if you had drones and an S2 feeding you real time info about targets that might be one thing. But that isn't here. Your previous idea of a five day patrol only made a little sense within the context of manning (relieving) a distant LP/OP.

I suggest you rethink this entire idea of 'three day patrols'. Actually, you should probably rethink your entire survival plan and focus a bit more on the S4 functional area. Actually, your first real problem here is probably in the S1 section though. Just how many guys do you have at this retreat?

Before I would even begin considering some sort of three day (and God forbid five day) security patrol (or distant LP/OP) I need to look at local security. Do I have a guard 24/7? Do I have 360 guard coverage of my retreat (multiple positions perhaps)? If I have that, I'm now going to start considering an overwatch position. And by the way, I should have two guys at each task minimum. And if I have those two functions running a sergeant of the guard (TOC) starts to look like something I need to think about - all of this 24/7. Along with that I should look at a local security patrol, say morning and night local security sweep - again two guys each patrol. And ALL of that ignores that fact that there is actual WORK to be done on sight - cause MRE's do not get shipped in when we get low any more.

How many guys is this? Just for two guys (one buddy team) to stand guard 24/7 demands how may people for an extended period of duty? Do you even have that many?

All of this makes far more sense than sending out one guy, which is what you are talking here, on a three or five nature walk. And a one man LP/OP makes just no sense at all. I'd fire any company commander that came to me with that plan (I'd be more forgiving of a 2lt platoon leader, but I'd chew out his platoon sgt something fierce for letting it happen).

Maybe, just maybe, if I had a full platoon I'd consider what you offer. Other than that, it would have to be a specific mission, a targeted point recon maybe: think NAI here - "go check out the bridge and let me know what shape it is in" or "Go check on the Fudds fifty &$%%# miles down the road and see if they are still alive". Something like that to answer a specific question...maybe (but still not alone).

I know you are telling me (us, whomever) that you have nine years in the MRAP infantry. But I'm telling you, and you should think about this, that you are coming off like some nineteen year old kid who plays too many video games. That should stop you, if you are not that kid, and make you think "maybe I should rethink my process here".

Look, I know I am being hard on you. But even if your only experience is the sandbox then you should still know better. You are not going to have senior NCO's and field grade officers keeping you straight. You are going to have to do this yourself.

Incidentally, one thing I do agree with you on is the MRE for patrol food. While many people like to say 'go dehydrated with mountain whatever' I think that is a loser bet here - and if you check weight to caloric content the dehydrated stuff isn't really any better. With that stuff you either have to carry the water with you or depend (depending on variables...) finding water - then you have to cook and prepare. Far better to have a simple MRE pouch you can open and eat on the move if need be - and you need the water anyhow. By the way, the peanut butter is the best patrol food ever in my opinion. If you ever do end up doing any real patrols keep a packet or three in your breast pocket.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoblintheCat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2014, 06:16 PM
Hunter

I actually have enough guys to make a pretty decent squad plus I have 15 guys now most of em prior military and all that goes with Em about 7 wives. My patrols would be 5 guys at minimum leaving 10 men plus 6 women on security then one watching children.
I spent my 9 years all in the light infantry 10th mountain and 101st the last year I was attached to group to help in thier training company.
Like I said my other packing list is 75 pounds complete with worn and carried gear. That's not bad all when including ammo gear and water
Old 05-20-2014, 06:24 PM
Renaissance Man

Thanked 18,290 Times in 5,343 Posts

My experience with MREs is that you better drink a *lot* of water with them if you don't want to be constipated.

FWIW, I make and dehydrate a lot of stuff for my own use. A serving of dehydrated chili with meat and beans is almost 1000 cals and weighs a couple ozs. Add in some olive oil and powdered cheese, and you can nearly double the cals.

And not only does it taste good, it's very balanced nutritionally and won't stop up your system. I use a small alcohol stove that weighs an ounce to heat the water in less then 4 mins. Pour the water directly into the bag the chili is in, no muss, no fuss. I do carry some food that can be eaten without cooking though, as you have to be prepared for anything. Peanut butter is awesome stuff, but you can dehydrate hummus, salsa, all kinds of tasty things that you can add cold water to, and it will rehydrate in an hour or two for a cold meal. If you want more calories, carry a small bottle of olive oil, and add it to everything. Olive oil is the most dense cal to gram food I've ever found.

It's pretty obvious that the op is very well trained, and that training is very good. But it's also very specific for a military situation. A shtf situation may not be like a military operation, and will certainly not have a supply line or intel that much of the training depends on.

Az
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to azb For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2014, 06:43 PM
Smile..wait for the flash

Thanked 2,540 Times in 775 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azb View Post
My experience with MREs is that you better drink a *lot* of water with them if you don't want to be constipated.

FWIW, I make and dehydrate a lot of stuff for my own use. A serving of dehydrated chili with meat and beans is almost 1000 cals and weighs a couple ozs. Add in some olive oil and powdered cheese, and you can nearly double the cals.

And not only does it taste good, it's very balanced nutritionally and won't stop up your system. I use a small alcohol stove that weighs an ounce to heat the water in less then 4 mins. Pour the water directly into the bag the chili is in, no muss, no fuss. I do carry some food that can be eaten without cooking though, as you have to be prepared for anything. Peanut butter is awesome stuff, but you can dehydrate hummus, salsa, all kinds of tasty things that you can add cold water to, and it will rehydrate in an hour or two for a cold meal. If you want more calories, carry a small bottle of olive oil, and add it to everything. Olive oil is the most dense cal to gram food I've ever found.

It's pretty obvious that the op is very well trained, and that training is very good. But it's also very specific for a military situation. A shtf situation may not be like a military operation, and will certainly not have a supply line or intel that much of the training depends on.

Az
I like the idea about the olive oil. All oils (canola, vegetable, whatever) are around 2000 cals/cup. Just a little bit can add a lot of food energy to your meals.
The Following User Says Thank You to SLED For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2014, 06:52 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLED View Post
I like the idea about the olive oil. All oils (canola, vegetable, whatever) are around 2000 cals/cup. Just a little bit can add a lot of food energy to your meals.
I actually have that for my long term storage. Well oils and preserved lard to add to most meals to increase calories. Most of my long term stuff base food is rice and a five bean mix very boring but all the calories vitamin and minerals to survive and then a little my mres are for when on the move
Old 05-20-2014, 07:00 PM
Smile..wait for the flash

Thanked 2,540 Times in 775 Posts

Quote:
I actually have that for my long term storage. Well oils and preserved lard to add to most meals to increase calories. Most of my long term stuff base food is rice and a five bean mix very boring but all the calories vitamin and minerals to survive and then a little my mres are for when on the move
I've got about a months worth of beans and rice (among other things, so far) and keep buying different types of seasonings...tobasco, Lowery's salt, etc... Figure that will help with the variety thing.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:47 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLED View Post
I've got about a months worth of beans and rice (among other things, so far) and keep buying different types of seasonings...tobasco, Lowery's salt, etc... Figure that will help with the variety thing.
Sams club 50 lbs bags 16 bucks 40 lbs bean mix 20 bucks
45 pounds to a 5 gallon bucks. Sorry jacking my own thread haha
Old 05-20-2014, 08:02 PM
Threadkiller

Thanked 3,252 Times in 1,164 Posts

Quote:
I actually have that for my long term storage. Well oils and preserved lard to add to most meals to increase calories.
Im interested in how you are preserving that lard?