boolit lube components and their affects - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ticks,lymes disease and how it affects your plans. folly5678 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 15 05-24-2015 09:26 AM
Alaska Volcano erupts, affects air travel Sailorsam Manmade and Natural Disasters 2 05-07-2013 05:00 PM
Cast Boolit Thread Hungry Firearms General Discussion 53 01-04-2013 03:02 AM
Somebody is packing Google search results, and it affects me Angry Cow The Tech Zone 5 08-31-2012 09:58 PM
Affects of extreme temps on BOB contents OverTaxed Urban Survival 17 11-01-2011 02:08 PM
japan etc affects on us bolder British Isles and ROI 4 03-14-2011 11:42 AM
How the EU affects us all. Chops249 British Isles and ROI 1 11-05-2010 12:08 PM
slip2000EWL vs Machine Gunners Lube vs Gun butter vs everything else. Need lube, FloridaState Firearms General Discussion 6 05-08-2010 01:10 PM
Ground Zero - See how it affects you. (L00K!) Duncan Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 2 03-04-2009 05:12 PM

Old 03-03-2014, 02:29 AM
Hippie with a Mac-11

Default boolit lube components and their affects

Advertise Here

I've been lookingover booit lube recipes and after looking at all the different things to mix, are there components or mixtures thereof that work better than others? Or better in certain environments?
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014, 07:42 PM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 42,859 Times in 10,034 Posts

There's many different DIY recipes on the net, just google bullet lube.

They do have different melting temps and this serves different purposes with bullet velocity. Typically the blue or the red is what you want. Red has the highest melting temp but manufacturers differ

Alox is the preferred type but there are others. I think there's a type called Xlox but it's the same stuff pretty much

I've heard good things about mixing moly in with the lube. I don't think it's all that necessary though.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:33 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,474 Times in 613 Posts

There seem to be many, many different recipes based on the fact that people try to keep all the ingredients solublized at reduced temperatures.

What I've found though is that I myself get execellent results with a simple two ingredient lube. The secret is to get everything melted FIRST.

My lube recipe is 50:50 moly lithium bearing grease and natural beeswax. I first weigh out 250 grams of grease in a steel pot with a tighly fitting lid. I then weigh out 250 grams of wax, which I set aside. Heat the grease outside on a camping stove till it physically melts and is completely liquid.

Keep the lid handy and be ready to lid the pot when the grease catches fire. Not if the grease catches fire, but when it catches. Keep heating after the flames are put out. Once the grease is 100% liquid, gently drop in the beeswax and turn off the heat. Keep stirring the bar of wax till it's completely melted into the grease. Allow it to further cool, then cast it into 4" PVC tubes. They're mounted in a tighly fitting 2X4 so they won't leak. To start out, just pour in 1/2" of lube and let it solidify. Once sealed, pour in the rest of the lube to fill the tube.

50:50 mix makes a soft lube that requires gentle heating in the winter, but flows on it's own in the heat of summer. Either raise or lower the wax concentration to make the stiffness you want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2014, 10:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,006 Times in 3,842 Posts

Johnson's paste wax!

Of all the 'recipes' I found on Boolit lubes this is the easiest. Just put a dollop in a mason jar and set in on a window sill til it melts. Put in boolits and roll it around. Set it back on the sill and the excess will again melt and fall to the bottom.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...8-Boolit-Lube-!
Old 03-05-2014, 08:50 PM
BulletMaster

Thanked 1,522 Times in 731 Posts

Alox sold by Lee and Xlox sold by White Label Lubes is the same product,Alox is a trade name Lee uses. Both are rust preservatives but make an excellent bullet lube and come out of the same drum.

You can get twice as much Xlox for the same cost as the Alox here as well as other stick lube if you like http://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?m...42a5d5aeac72ce

Either lube can be used straight but generally work best when thinned with mineral spirits about 1 oz. MS to a 4 oz. batch of Alox / Xlox. You can also mix up the Recluse lube using 45 % Alox or Xlox 45 % JPW reduced/cooked down to remove most of the solvents and 10% MS.

White Label Lube also sells the Recluse lube already premixed called Delux Liquid if you don't want to mess with mixing your own.

A couple things I would point out regardless of the version of Alox / Xlox lube you use. Warm both the lube and bullets prior to lubing makes the coating much more even and you can use less lube. For 100 cast pistol bullets or 50 average size cast rifle bullets just a light coat in the shape of a Z is all it takes prior to sizing or applying the gas check repeat the process and let dry. The addition of the MS and JPW as well as not overlubing makes them much less to having no tackiness at all.

How to mix your own http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-amp-Mess-Free I've been using the Recluse mix for the past couple year with no issues at all up to 2K fps, I make up around 32 ozs. and haven't knocked a dent in it and I've lubed quiet a few thousand bullets.

I'm also into powder coating my cast lead bullets now as well handgun bullets did just fine up to magnum velocity still waiting to test the rifle loads at 2K and higher.