Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY Fishing Trap to Replace Fishing YoYo Arsenul Boating and Fishing 4 03-17-2013 07:46 PM
Bath Bombs made from supplies (used outdated supplies) Zalam Ladies Section 6 12-30-2012 12:12 PM
Our New MH 6-Can Variety Case Qualifies Toward the Free Apple Case Offer (exp. 12/31) JC Refuge Safecastle 1 12-30-2011 02:18 PM
Free Case of Rare Mountain House Apples, while supplies last JC Refuge Safecastle 7 12-27-2011 11:03 AM
Stockpiling food, ammo and fishing supplies for SHTF kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 08-08-2011 10:02 AM
Stockpiling circle hooks in your fishing supplies kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 9 07-27-2011 05:36 PM
Propane, first aid kits and fishing supplies kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 03-17-2011 09:36 PM
Fishing supplies rokitman Boating and Fishing 12 01-23-2011 12:25 AM
fishing pack for day hike fishing campingenthusiast Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 3 06-05-2008 04:21 PM

Old 04-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Veteran, Statesman

Default Must Have Fishing Supplies Just in Case

Advertise Here

I am putting away my ice fishing gear and getting ready for open water fishing. There is some work involved with putting gear away and then pulling out the long pole gear.

Fishing should be a big part of any preparedness plan. Let's start a thread about minimal fishing gear. What do you have, what do you need, what is the bare minimum for a pack???

Also, what are some of the unusual items you carry for fishing?

I have my thoughts but let's open this up to the forum!!!

fl-ia1972
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fl-ia1972 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Most Thankful Guy here

Thanked 47,693 Times in 18,821 Posts

Ice fishing - fond memories of upstate NY

I am currently working on some little kits for my bag.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,155 Times in 747 Posts

Don't ice fish down south. We fish for bass, bream, crappie, and catfish mostly. Some large stripped bass in the bigger lakes. From lures, spinner baits, plastic worms, jigs, live worms, and live minnows. Catfish like chicken livers and live worms. Fishing is best here from Feb to May. Summer is good in shade or deep. Fall is again good from Sept to Nov. Dec and Jan are too cold and that's when we deer hunt.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dixie_Dude For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2013, 07:03 AM
High Concept

Thanked 6,933 Times in 2,478 Posts

I carry 3 hand lines and a 6 foot cast net minimum. These can feed a lot of people with minimum effort.

Also swimmers goggles are handy in your kit if you want see underwater for collecting mussels or spearing fish. Being able to see underwater makes a huge difference, so pack 2 or 3 swimming goggles, they're cheap.

A small bucket with lid, and a steel handle on the bucket with a good length of rope on the handle.

And a packet of various hooks, sinkers etc.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rett For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2013, 08:39 AM
watcher

Basically, just hooks and line. Thats it for a basic pack.
You can make a pole from about anything.
remember, its for food, not sport or trophy fish.

When I was a kid, I was hiking next to a river and found someones
"birdnest", laying on the bank. The hook was still in the mess.

I undid a good part of the "birdnest", and re-tied the hook on a long piece of line.
I then tied that onto a sapling and put a grasshopper on it.
Mainly to amuse my buddies who were laughing at me.
In about 20 seconds, I had a eatin' size bass on the bank.
Followed by a bream after just awhile.
My buddies were by then crawling around looking for bait, for
their turn.

taught me alot
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dan480man For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2013, 12:28 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,938 Times in 8,964 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Minimum fishing kits

What I consider a good small fishing kit that Iím putting together. The kite string winders will work when you canít find a pole to cut and are quick and easy, anyway. The gill nets are probably the best fish getter, but arenít legal in most places now, and when the weather is severe and the water cold, it can get chilly using one. Ditto the cast net and trot line.

2x Kite string winder http://www.winddancekites.com/store/...t_detail&p=778
Survival fishing kit http://www.bestglide.com/survival_fishing_kit.html
Eagle Claw Fishing kit http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...3Bcat104390280
2x 50# test braided line http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...3Bcat104612580
2x 100# test braided line http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...3Bcat104612580
1x Set of spinners http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...3Bcat104596380
2x Gill net http://www.bestglide.com/deluxe_gill_net.html
1x Cast net http://www.castnetworld.com/excaliburcastnets.html
1x Trotline kit http://www.barlowstackle.com/Trotlin...Off-P1759.aspx
1x Gerber Fishermanís multi-tool http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...3Bcat104505480

If you want to add a rod & reel:
Abu Garcia/Cardinal spinning rod and reel: http://www.abugarcia.com/products/co...-bruiser-combo

Just my opinion.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Hiker

I a spool of line and some hooks, that's all I need for an emergency. 175yrds on the spool, will make a lot of short fishing lines as they wear out. A willow stick makes for a good pole, or just do a few short limb lines. This is just for food, ordinarily, four seven foot poles with Abu 6000 and 6500c3 reels for cats. I always have a couple of ultra light setup for catching bait when fishing for the cats.
The Following User Says Thank You to papa For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 43,149 Times in 13,319 Posts

Perfect timing as we are reconsidering our fishing supplies. I told myself THIS was going to be the summer I learned to noodle HAH! who am I kidding? I'm too old for that ****. But I really wish I had learned as a kid, when I had no fear of sticking my fist in a catfish's mouth.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 35,773 Times in 9,991 Posts

The most important fishing supply to carry with you is the knowledge of how to read the water and how and where to fish it.

You can only develop this knowledge from experience. Fishing in different areas, with different types of fish, and using different gear.

Since very few actually enjoy fishing with hand lines, I do not suggest carrying them, or planning to use them. You will not practice, so you will not become skilled. So why cary gear that limits your chances.

I have carried a Fenwick (5) pc spin/fly pack rod along on backpacking trips for 28 yrs. It is a joy to use so I look for opportunities. So I have become more skilled in using it in a wide variety of conditions. The rod weighs about 6 oz so it is not a burden in any pack.

My light wt fishing kit is my Fenwick pack rod, a WF7F bug line, a compact spinning reel with 4lb Trilene line, a small plastic case with flys, spinners, plastic worms, several dozen hooks, and a 1/2 oz jar of salmon eggs.

This light wt kit weighs around one pound.

If I were packing an inch bag and depending upon fish for half my protein, I would add a second heavier bait casting rod and reel, a gill net and trot lines, a lot more tackle, and replacement line.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2013, 05:12 PM
Veteran, Statesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rett View Post

I carry 3 hand lines and a 6 foot cast net minimum. These can feed a lot of people with minimum effort.

Also swimmers goggles are handy in your kit if you want see underwater for collecting mussels or spearing fish. Being able to see underwater makes a huge difference, so pack 2 or 3 swimming goggles, they're cheap.

A small bucket with lid, and a steel handle on the bucket with a good length of rope on the handle.

And a packet of various hooks, sinkers etc.
You brought a piece of my childhood back with the suggestion of a cast net. Great idea. My grandfather use to take me cast netting until I joined the Army after high school. It would be a great tool to have.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Hiker

I have fished with hand lines for a lot of years, but prefer to use my rods and reels for the sport part. I do know where to fish and where not to. It's a lot of fun taking friends out that have never done it before.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to papa For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2013, 11:46 PM
High Concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-ia1972 View Post
You brought a piece of my childhood back with the suggestion of a cast net. Great idea. My grandfather use to take me cast netting until I joined the Army after high school. It would be a great tool to have.
It's a very handy bit of gear, I've used them all my life, and they have fed me and others exclusively on occasion.

If you want to get back into it, buy one and practice casting in a park, on grass.

I remember watching people casting lures and flys for big salmon, and I saw nothing was biting.
So I dropped the cast net on the salmon, and with one cast had enough to feed everyone.
A cast net is brilliant, especially if you are relying on it to feed people.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rett For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2013, 12:07 AM
High Concept

This is good example of what can be done with a cast net. Good bait gathering gear.
Funny, the the dog snatching fish is exactly what mine does. Don't need to bring dog food if you have a cast net, my dog will sit and eat dozens of fish and lie down fat an happy.

Note this guy pulling in mullet and sardines, very high quality protein, and high in Omega 3's, don't need to catch many of those to meet your daily protein requirement.

You can eat the sardines straight out of the net or grill a dozen for a feed. The mullet you can bake in foil or fillet out and grill.

I don't scale fish it's a waste of time. Just bake the fish in foil with butter and peel the skin off to get to the meat.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rett For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2013, 12:22 AM
Veteran, Statesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rett View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-16N...e_gdata_player

This is good example of what can be done with a cast net. Good bait gathering gear.
Funny, the the dog snatching fish is exactly what mine does. Don't need to bring dog food if you have a cast net, my dog will sit and eat dozens of fish and lie down fat an happy.

Note this guy pulling in mullet and sardines, very high quality protein, and high in Omega 3's, don't need to catch many of those to meet your daily protein requirement.

You can eat the sardines straight out of the net or grill a dozen for a feed. The mullet you can bake in foil or fillet out and grill.

I don't scale fish it's a waste of time. Just bake the fish in foil with butter and peel the skin off to get to the meat.
Fun video. We used bag nets and wadded mostly. The mullet in the video make a good dinner. Don't let anyone tell you they are only a bait fish.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:29 AM
High Concept

Yeah, it's a beautiful feeling.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rett For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2013, 12:38 AM
High Concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-ia1972 View Post
Fun video. We used bag nets and wadded mostly. The mullet in the video make a good dinner. Don't let anyone tell you they are only a bait fish.
I thought mullet were just bait at one stage, but then I tasted one and the rest was history.

Cast netting has become an addiction for me, I spent whole days casting, even if I'm throwing fish back.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:06 AM
Hunter

Stealing Jerry's Format, I have some of these but in the end I plan on having all of these. The numbers are just the amount I plan on getting for my pack.
16- Amazon (Thumbnails) cover
Amazon (Thumbnails)4- Amazon (Thumbnails) cover
Amazon (Thumbnails)40- http://www.ebay.com/itm/20pcs-Fishin...item51a3ad6f8b
5- http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=966532
2- http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...t.aspx?a=60477
4- Amazon (Thumbnails) cover
Amazon (Thumbnails)
My fishing pole, a couple reels, and I have a case that will go in my pack when it's finished that will hold 1,000 hooks and some weights. Some limb lines as well. I know there is more I'm missing, but this is the jest of it.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:30 PM
100% gulf coast bad ass

Down on the gulf coast we fish for; flounder,bass,snapper,catfish,blue crab,shrimp,frogs,shark. I keep a good crab trap, couple of pole (light, and medium/heavy), in my emergency kit I keep a few of those auto-fishers (emergency use only, they illegal to use under normal circumstances in Texas now). Crab are easy to get around here, as are flounder down in Texas city. The ways things are going, we may be able to start to take no bag limit takes of Black tiger prawn that are invading, they are up to 11" long, and huge, currently they are found several mils off shore in numbers, occasionally someone finds a few near the shore line or in estuaries, they are invasive foreigners. Clams are considered to contaminated to take from most of the fresh water areas around Galveston, a few years ago creeks and lakes around here were deemed clean enough to take shellfish from, but Hurricane IKE blew so much junk into the bodies of water around here, including old power transformers that had not been replaced yet (PCB's) that they are contaminated again and probably will be for several more years, then we had the dioxin dumping up stream by a paper plant in Houston that has ruined several fishing areas the Vietnamese fishers had been using they are suing the hell out of the owners right now in the federal court, it'll be years before those areas are clear enough to use again.
The Following User Says Thank You to IronGhost For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2014, 08:10 PM

If you're going to have/carry a rod and reel, I would strongly suggest stocking up on spoons. They're my favorite lure, and are extremely effective. You can work them right at the top of the water or deeper depending on your retrieve. Excellent lure for trout, redfish, bass, etc. Get ones that have a treble hook unless you need to go weedless. High percentage of striking fish will be hooked.
The Following User Says Thank You to Renegade Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2014, 10:35 AM
Pencil 5, AUTOCAD 0

Thanked 14,446 Times in 3,020 Posts

I am so lucky to live where I do... I can walk out my door onto the dock and catch supper.
Local knowledge of weather and water temperature and wind direction are critical. If you
want to eat, nets improve your success rate immensely. All of my friends are First Nations
hunting and fishing guides, so their living is based on how much they understand this area.
They know exactly where certain species of fish will be on any given day, regardless of
conditions. This takes years to learn; there are no shortcuts. If you are planning to
supplement your food and have never fished, you better start now. Like all the other
skills that get discussed here at SB, they have to be practiced until you don't even think
about them. Trapping and hunting and gardening and foraging too.