Stockpiling seeds for shtf - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stockpiling 22 long rifle for shtf / TEOTWAWKI kev Firearms General Discussion 71 10-20-2015 11:36 AM
Bought my first SHTF seeds, input wanted. Thanks! DocHoliday Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 14 12-12-2013 11:22 PM
Another stockpiling ammunition for shtf teotwawki article kev Firearms General Discussion 52 09-05-2012 11:23 PM
Stockpiling Seeds WillS Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 9 03-16-2012 08:38 PM
Stockpiling fishing gear for shtf kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 38 12-10-2011 12:24 AM
Stockpiling rifles and shotguns for shtf / teotwawki kev Firearms General Discussion 37 11-21-2011 05:43 AM
Stockpiling fishing gear for SHTF kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 55 10-06-2011 12:17 AM
Stockpiling food, ammo and fishing supplies for SHTF kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 08-08-2011 10:02 AM
Seeds and post SHTF Farming Phoenixdadeadhead Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 16 07-02-2009 05:16 AM
SHTF Garden Seeds from Larue Tactical (Great Label) 5.7mm Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 09-27-2008 03:00 PM

Old 04-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Prepared

Advertise Here

Saving seeds is such an art, one that you can't afford to practice when your life depends on it. I recommend getting a book and starting, some plants you have to leave in the ground to let sprout the next year so it seeds like carrots. In our area you have to dig up things like cabbage for the winter and replant them to have them seed....nothing I would have known without that book!!
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to NMFarmer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,698 Times in 838 Posts

Couldn't expect anything else from you Kev. Since you ask, I have seeds for just about every vegetable type listed in seed catologs (except celery-hate the stuff), usually a couple or more varieties. I buy a new set every 3 years. This year I order over $100 from Seed Savers and bought about as much from other companies. Those are for storing. Right now I am using the set I bought during the last three years. I use the book Seed To Seed (the one from Seed Savers) to keep track of how long the seeds are supposed to last but I find that if they are older at least a percentage will still sprout. I finally put it all in a program I set up so I would stop re-inventing the wheel every year. Love your videos, thanks.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,698 Times in 838 Posts

Yes, blueberries take longer but if you plant raspberries early enough, you could get a small batch the first year. Every year the production increases until they are in full production. I have a few hundred raspberry plants (4 colors, 14 varieties). I planted the parents four years ago and last year I was able to sell at the farmer's market because I had too many.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldparanoia For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Mod Certified PITA!

Thanked 18,989 Times in 7,189 Posts

Going just by the seeds in my garden section, I'd have a fair amount. Heavy on the herbs, carrots, and flowers, but with enough sugar pumpkins, tomato, and pea seeds for all we'd need. However, if I expand my focus to include my preps - beans, lentils, wheat kernels and oat groats - and bird seed with sunflower, corn, millet, and other grains, I'd have enough for several families.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:52 PM
Crazy old man

Talking

Personally myself I'm a fan of the heirloom seeds, seem to always produce better crops with them. Person myself I think most people should have a garden in the backyard right now anyway with everything that's going on.
The Following User Says Thank You to zula For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2011, 02:50 AM
Target Shooter

So is the freezer the best way to store seeds?

I could make that work now. I was just going to stick them in a large jar with a desicant.