Getting a handgun permit-have warrant issues-need advise - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My wife is getting her carry permit. Which carry handgun to give her? peak_oil Pistol and Revolver Forum 93 01-18-2017 07:41 PM
Handgun Advise Coolbreeze Pistol and Revolver Forum 19 01-30-2014 05:55 PM
They didnít have a warrant Ė so see you later. Dyraven General Discussion 14 03-21-2013 01:30 AM
Please advise on a .45 handgun Burt&Heather Firearms General Discussion 43 12-11-2012 04:31 PM
We Don't Need No Stinking Warrant BobMacnamara Political News and Discussion 1 08-28-2012 10:34 AM
Can you buy warrant OTC in the USA? Despierto Financial Forum 4 07-25-2012 12:19 PM
KC's finest search warrant celticroots General Discussion 4 12-06-2010 06:51 AM
warrant for your arrest lotus.eater Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 44 03-25-2009 04:53 PM

Old 02-20-2011, 12:01 PM
Maximus

Thanked 15,417 Times in 6,591 Posts

Advertise Here

Worst part is you can't even own a shotgun or rifle in NYC without shelling out $300+ for a license.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2011, 11:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,447 Times in 4,139 Posts

01) GET A LAWYER
02) GET YOUR BENCH WARRANT ADDRESSED, NOW!

03) Your chances of getting a concealed carry permit in NYC is a snowball's in Hell.
04) Getting one with an outstanding warrant is even less.

05) GET A LAWYER
06) GET YOUR BENCH WARRANT ADDRESSED, NOW!

07) Even applying for either one at the local office would probably get you arrested on the spot.
08) If they stop you for questioning at the Port Authority or subway or a traffic check point they will arrest you there and then and your chances of getting a licence for a slingshot is probably gone forever.

09) GET A LAWYER
10) GET YOUR BENCH WARRANT ADDRESSED, NOW!
Old 02-21-2011, 04:10 PM
alert

I guess I know where my money is gonna be spent on...a lawyer

Now the other issue is how do I acquire those preps I have been planning to get-with any extra money spen on legal fees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Looks like rain to me.

Thanked 44,521 Times in 26,335 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Take care of the warrant first. I wouldn't be surprised if the sheriff calls you in for an interview and hooks you up for the warrant. That drops the CCW in the toilet.

Come in clean and they may not look at it too hard.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,064 Posts

Clear up your warrent.

Then MOVE.

I decided several decades ago that there were places I would not live no matter what the pay or how bad the demand for me to be in that area.

Anywhere inside the boundries of NY is one of them.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dcliffhanger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2011, 04:30 PM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityprep View Post
Now the other issue is how do I acquire those preps I have been planning to get-with any extra money spen on legal fees.
How do you acquire those preps in Jail? You have to take care of first things first.

Honestly, (and I hate when people say this but it is the best advice) move from NYC. Chances are you are paying way too much for rent and if a scenario came where you did need your preps, you will be in a bad spot to stay safe. The only people who can defend themselves with guns are going to be the criminals who have firearms illegally. Even if you moved to White Planes or something, you would be better off.

If money is an issue, then you can get another job to save up fast and get some extra preps. Or you can start slow like most people do and start with rice, beans and spam.
The Following User Says Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2011, 05:09 PM

Thank God I live in Tennessee
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joe grizzly For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2011, 05:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,447 Times in 4,139 Posts

Quote:

Firstly, it won't cost that much money for the lawyer to get it vacated and of course you have to pay the fine and court costs...Its a simple phone call and a couple of letters basically.

Last year a friend had it done in Minneapolis (granted not NYC) for about $750 including everything.

Remember that the original amount of the offense has gone up and up and up...Here a parking ticket $35 must be paid within 30 days-- if paid within 7 days $20--if paid later goes up to $150 and if a warrant is issued $450.

As to the extras--well since you'll probably not get the handgun you could use that money for most of the legal stuff and just get a basic shotgun and get the add ons as you can afford them.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Just a rock & spear guy

Thanked 1,639 Times in 620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinghudson25 View Post
Get a lawyer and have him or her start the process of taking care of your legal situation.
Best advice in thread.

NYC is a black hole of bureaucracy, you need the services of a good lawyer.

I'd suggest posting an inquiry for a legal referral on a national firearms forum such as thehighroad.org or AR15.com.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Gold Member

Handguns possession is explicitly illegal in NYC, even if you have a valid NYS pistol permit. I can carry anywhere in NY, except the 5 boroughs.

You will be immediately denied a permit if you have ever had a felony conviction. If you have an open warrant when the do your State level background check, you will also be immediately denied.

It took me 8 months to get my NY CCW in Saratoga county. I hear it is now over 1 year.

Andy
Old 03-17-2011, 10:17 PM
DRUNK CHICKS DIG ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadbitangelny View Post
Even if you were to get a lawyer to deal with said warrant and have your recored esponged you will almost definitly not get a permit. My BF has a CCW permit and cannot carry a gun into or around NYC.
No one is allowed to carry a fire arm in NYC. Not a handgun or long gun. I have a "unrestricted" Concealed Carry license to carry anywhere in the state of NY, EXCEPT NYC, Federal building/property, state and local government buildings. (BTW, alot of people don't realize that you CAN NOT even have a hand gun in your car, in the parking lot of federal property.)

NYC requires a SPECIAL PERMIT, which is virtually impossible to get and will cost you a boat load of money. On top of that if you have had a bench warrant issued, even if you get the charge vacated/dismissed that will stay on your record and you will NEVER, EVER get a CCW permit for NYC. it's probably a good bet you won't get any permit to carry in NYS.

You screwed the pooch by getting a warrant on you.

Seriously, I wouldn't even bother trying, your going to waste a lot of (no-refundable) money and not get your permit.
The Following User Says Thank You to jmac00 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2011, 10:27 PM
Prepared

OP please inform us citizen that actually live in the free parts of America, what your crime was. Is it illegal to own a pocket knife in the state of New York?
Old 03-17-2011, 11:05 PM
DRUNK CHICKS DIG ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
OP please inform us citizen that actually live in the free parts of America, what your crime was. Is it illegal to own a pocket knife in the state of New York?
no, however NYC does have blade length restriction, which I believe is either 1ĺ" OR 2"

Any other part of the state has no restriction on Blade length (contrary to popular belief)

all the law says is an ambiguous wording about having a "dangerous" or "unsafe" edged tool/weapon.

AOK (assisted opening knife) are legal ( I own many), however a "spring assisted opening knife" or a switch blade is illegal
Old 03-24-2011, 12:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,763 Times in 1,627 Posts

Here's an idea-clear up the warrant then get the hell out of there. Move to someplace in America!

Bench warrant for a 2" knife!!!! You gotta be kidding me!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to papajoscochise For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2011, 01:39 AM

Clear up your warrant. Find your nearest airport. Pick a destination.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spearhead For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2011, 06:47 AM
DRUNK CHICKS DIG ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearhead View Post
Clear up your warrant. Find your nearest airport. Pick a destination.
other than Massachusetts, New Jersey, Illinois and California
Old 03-25-2011, 02:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,713 Times in 2,731 Posts

Quote:

Ask your parents for the money?

How old are you?
Old 03-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,603 Times in 995 Posts

Just going to throw this out there...

If you are not responsible enough to deal with a bench warrant, are you really responsible enough to own a handgun?
The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
Just going to throw this out there...

If you are not responsible enough to deal with a bench warrant, are you really responsible enough to own a handgun?
Is there a written test for responsibility somewhere that he has to take? I missed that requirement when I read the Constitution.

I remember in '95 or thereabout when the NICS check first came online and Houston PD was denying handgun sales because guys had unpaid parking tickets.

Where do you draw the "responsibility" line? Is a guy with an unpaid parking ticket too dangerous to own a handgun? Does a guy with a 2 inch pocket knife scare you too bad? Don't take it as bashing or an insult. I just think denials should be more like for actually dangerous people, not because the boys down at the town hall didn't get paid their fee for some silly infraction quickly enough.

There's the real crooks that we need to be protected from and then there's the silly ****. I think this guys problem falls into the silly **** category. For Christs sake, I can do more damage with my metal cross inkpen than he can do with a 2 inch pocket knife.

Sure, he shoulda taken care of it, but he didn't and that doesn't mean he's "bad" or too evil to own a gun. He screwed up, a very minor screw up actually, and he can fix it.

Again, I aint bashing you, don't take it as such. I'm just saying. A bench warrant is about equal to jaywalking in a one-horse southern town.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:04 PM
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
Crime was not the pocket knife. It was skipping the summons to court. If he went to court, it probably would have been tossed out.

Cops might have been confused or ignorant of the knife regulations (or the knife was longer than the OP stated). But either way, the skipping of the summons was the crime and cause of the warrant.