how to store potatoes until winter is over? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to Store Potatoes AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 06-10-2014 09:00 PM
Can you grow potatoes in the winter? Altarboy Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 17 12-24-2012 01:21 PM
Dried Mashed Potatoes? Will they store long term? PanicFire Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 32 08-15-2012 05:17 PM
What's the best way to store our potatoes? Hawkgirl70 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 7 07-15-2012 06:29 PM
How's the best way to store potatoes? Steve in Illinois Food and water 23 09-08-2011 06:39 PM
Potatoes & Winter Squash ???? sweetdixie Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 6 02-18-2011 09:50 PM
How do you store your winter gear in an SUV? Chrysalis Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 9 12-14-2010 06:18 PM
growing potatoes from the store wsarris424 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 24 09-09-2010 06:29 PM
How to store plants/leaves for use in winter? juicerkatz Edible & Non-Edible Plants 16 07-06-2010 07:31 AM

Old 03-24-2010, 03:02 PM
Prepared

Default how to store potatoes until winter is over?

Advertise Here

how does one store potatoes so they dont rott through the winter? with the intention of cutting them up and replanting them before spring or spring time?

forgive me if there are already threads on this. i did a quick skim and didnsee anything, and besides i need to get my 3 posts in to unlock certain features
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 03:58 PM
Trapper

I put both early and late seed potatoes in a cold room, in the dark. It's a specially-insulated room in the garage in which the temperature stays well above freezing in the winter and never goes above 60 F or so in the summer. In the dark, sprouting will be minimized and, if humid enough, shriveling will not begin until around March when it's almost warm enough to plant, anyway, in many areas.

Seed-potatoes don't require a lot of care (don't bother to wash them, and store them only after the soil on them has dried out of direct sunlight for a couple of days after digging), but I wouldn't pile them directly on concrete, or stack them too deep on shelves as the bottom ones can be crushed and ooze, starting decay that may ruin others. I think bushel baskets are well-ventilated enough if you don't fill them full.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jane333 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2010, 04:07 PM
Prepared

wow thanx jane333, i did not know that... i though they would surely begin to rott like my store bought potatoes after a month or so...thank you very much for your experience, knowledge and time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 12:01 PM

Can they still be planted if they have sprouted in a cool dark place?
The Following User Says Thank You to Conrad_Turbo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2010, 11:31 PM
Prepared

Conrad Turbo:
"Chitting - is the name for the process that encourages tubers to sprout before planting. Contrary to popular belief, chitting potatoes is not essential except for early varieties to produce an earlier maturing crop. If you buy tubers that have already started sprouting it is best to set them to chit straight away. If they haven't sprouted, they can be left in a cool dark place until you are ready to plant them or they begin to shoot anyway. To chit seed potatoes, place them side by side in a clean egg box or tray 'rose end' up (the end where tiny buds can be seen). Label the box with the potato variety and put in a cool light place for 4-6 weeks allowing the chits to develop. By putting them in a light place, the shoots will remain short, dark green and compact. Left in the dark, long, pale brittle shoots develop that can easily break off when planting. "
http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/factsheets/gg9.php
The Following User Says Thank You to PastTense For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2010, 10:59 PM
ozarks hillbilly

we always pack them in a wooden box in the basement, and sprinkle each layer with ordanary lime (the powder not the fruit) even if they do shrivle, they are still good for most uses. as described before, keep them in a cool, dark place (also from freezing) and not directly on concrete.
The Following User Says Thank You to boulevardtalonman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2010, 11:10 PM
Wanderer

Thanked 2,763 Times in 1,442 Posts

Good advice already given, you should take it. Also, I'd suggest putting dry straw, wads of newspaper, or fine sand in around the potatoes to seperate them and help keep them dry. Store in cool, dry, dark place.
The Following User Says Thank You to EdD270 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2010, 09:21 PM

Very interesting stuff here, most I just can't wrap my over-educated brain around it though.

I have always stored my potatoes in a wooden barrel, hogshead size. I put a lid on it. My potatos are still in good shape, what's left of them. My cellar stays below 40 in the winter. I have read that optimum temp is around 32. They aren't starting to sprout yet.

Could anyone please explain the things they do to these poor roots?

I would really need a good reason to put anything in with my potatoes. If I was worried about them getting crushed, I'd have to believe that they were no good to start with.

These are potatoes, not some delicate fruit for goodness sake!

I'm really curious about the lime, at least the hill billy says he does it, some others sound like they may be guessing or reading from a book. Hey, this is the internet and we are all chiefs and very few Indians.

I'd almost think that lime would make them shrivel. No disrespect intended, just trying to understand it.

BTW, I do put my carrots in layers of dirt or sawdust to keep them from drying out. The skin isn't like a potato.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matthew 7:25 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2010, 09:31 PM

I agree with Matt above. it's not rocket science.

I just have them in big douible-paper sacks I save from ... well, you know. CHicken feed. calf milk. I save the bags.

Leave them somewhere dry. eventually they'll start to chit.

If they get wet they rot. If your storebought taties are rotting, so will your homegrown. Store them some other way.

Dry being utterly vital, dark being utterly vital, but cool/cold being a 'nice to have' and a 'do your best'. They'll stay indoors through winter in the dark. They stay in my kitchen pantry through winter in the dark, and it's not a cold pantry. Just don't let the potatoes themselves freeze.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinkletoes For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad_Turbo View Post
Can they still be planted if they have sprouted in a cool dark place?
Yes they can be planted even if they have started to sprout.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chnglng For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2010, 10:13 PM

My grandpa has always just put the smallish potatos from the year in his "potato crates" about the size of a milk crate, made of 1x wood planks, and stacked them in his cellar...

Very few have ever started to rot or sprout much before the next spring rolled around...

Never questioned whether it was right or not...cuz it always worked...
The Following User Says Thank You to tjswampy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2010, 02:01 PM

What if the sprouts are 1-2' long?

Cut most of the sprouts off and put them in the ground, sprout side up? The potatoes stayed in a cold room (15C) with minimal light.
The Following User Says Thank You to Conrad_Turbo For This Useful Post: