When to prepare the land. - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking to purchase land on which to build cabin,homestead..how does this land look JoeTill Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 29 05-04-2016 03:22 PM
Trespassers - "your land is my land." lowell glenthorne Urban Survival 174 09-17-2015 08:10 AM
Timber land into pasture land HELP M2Gunner Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 49 09-16-2015 03:03 AM
What would you do if you had 20 years to prepare your land? SGFATL Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 18 08-07-2014 10:53 PM
How would you prepare? sonya1 General Discussion 28 06-29-2013 01:13 PM
Caching on public land or land you don't control. sarge912 Urban Survival 35 03-28-2012 12:20 AM
Land of the free or land of the fee ? Northern Raider British Isles and ROI 7 03-10-2012 02:01 AM
Mountain Land vs Valley Land Watchingtheweasels Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 10-14-2011 06:13 PM
What to look for when purchasing land or Home and land Doc1 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 14 09-28-2011 09:17 AM

Old 03-12-2011, 11:02 AM

Default When to prepare the land.

Advertise Here

I plan on starting a garden next year, i wanted to do one this year but i just got settled in to a new place. This will be my first garden. I plan on doing a raised bed garden using landscape timbers. I want to grow Corn, Potatoes, and banana peppers. Does it matter when is start prepping the land? Can i go ahead place the timbers and add the top soil? I would assume it would be ok. But should i wait to add nutrients to the soil until i get ready to plant. What do you guys think?

Thanks
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to pghud3 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Never Abducted

Thanked 47,062 Times in 12,773 Posts

Hi, You might try lasagna gardening. Or go ahead and dig it up and plant this year.
The Following User Says Thank You to gamgee For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,314 Times in 552 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

You should start now, even if it's just working on the dirt you will be using. Plant alfalfa to build nitrogen or buckwheat to build up organic matter. You can get 3 or more crops of buckwheat if you plant it early, just till it under when the seeds form and it will recrop immediately. Without a tiller, I would plant alfalfa or clover to build nitrogen and organic matter. You could also build the beds now and add grass clippings and leaves etc to it all year, then you'd have a really rich base in the beds. Any way you look at it, starting a year ahead is a big advantage.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XS29L For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Prepared

Can't talk about raised gardens but most people will try to plow regular gardens early spring before last freezes to kill any bugs/larvae in the ground.
The Following User Says Thank You to gejoat For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2011, 07:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,436 Times in 3,289 Posts

Tilling manure, compost and adding nutrients to your soil will help. Then take some straw and lay it over the area where you will build your beds. This will keep the ground moist and the worms working to enrichen your garden soil.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ramona M. Faunce For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2011, 09:35 PM

Forget regular methods.....try www.squarefootgardening.com -- yields WAY more, takes up LESS room, and it's an organic method -- no soil. Less weeds, if any. I hated gardening becuase that was always our punishment as kids, LOL....but this method is awesome. My 4 year old maintains his own box and loves it - and it helped me enjoy it now too. Its easy and makes sense, without the hassels of the regular methods.
The Following User Says Thank You to jennsocutie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Hunter

For potatoes, in many areas of the country, you should have already planted them.
This is what I did this year for prep.

I ran a chisel plow over it about 10 times. (This cuts about 8" deep, it brings up minerals to the surface, and helps the ground absorbs and store a lot of rainwater)
Then I covered it about 1 foot deep in leaves and disked them in (If I had a big tiller, I would have used it, but i was NOT going to use a hand powered tiller on an acre)
I then limed and fertilized according to my soils requirements. Because the soil is so soft after the plowing, I didn't have to turn the lime and fertilizer into the soil, I get very little to no runoff, all the water simply soaks in.

I am a big believer in a deep plowing for a garden right before you plant. It drastically reduces runoff from anything other than a complete downpour, and it keeps the soil moist, which really helps with our very erratic rainfall in the summer. Much less irrigation. The thing is that you Have to cover the soil with some sort of mulch, such as straw to keep the soil in place before your crops can establish there own root systems.
The Following User Says Thank You to andersed For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2011, 10:57 PM
To secure peace is to...

Thanked 6,536 Times in 2,164 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghud3 View Post
I plan on starting a garden next year, i wanted to do one this year but i just got settled in to a new place. This will be my first garden. I plan on doing a raised bed garden using landscape timbers. I want to grow Corn, Potatoes, and banana peppers. Does it matter when is start prepping the land? Can i go ahead place the timbers and add the top soil? I would assume it would be ok. But should i wait to add nutrients to the soil until i get ready to plant. What do you guys think?

Thanks
It's not too late to start this year.

You can have the land plowed at any time, but there are times that are better than others. It is preferential to plow in late Sept/early October so that the roots of the weeds are turned up in close proximity to the first freeze. This theoretically helps to reduce the number of weeds next year.

I plowed mine this weekend. Do I prefer it this late? No, but it's just dirt.

If you are looking at raised beds, look into mushroom compost. If you do decide on this awesome bedding material, remember that it should be aged one year because it can very likely burn up your plants.

Remember, you can also plant potatoes in tires: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...+in+tires&aq=f

This is especially helpful because at the end of the growing season, you can just knock the stack of tires over and easily reveal the fruits of your labor.
The Following User Says Thank You to TacomaJPP For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2011, 08:19 AM
old hand

Thanked 6,385 Times in 3,015 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJPP View Post
It's not too late to start this year.
... I plowed mine this weekend. Do I prefer it this late? No, but it's just dirt.
I agree ... start small if you have to but start now.

I envy you TacomaJPP, the snow has finally melted enough to see the sidehills, it will be 5 weeks before I turn a wheel.

Good posts here, I haven't seen any BS yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to ex-hunter For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2011, 07:04 PM
Hiker

building your beds and waiting a year to plant would make me nuts, my hats off to you. but man all the good stuff you could do to the soil in that amount of time. grass clippings alone (dont let the grass go to seed before you mow) would do wonders.If I may recommend a ph meter you can find at lowes for cheap you could really fine tune your soil to be very plant specific again hats off if you can wait and just work your soil I have the patients of a three year old when it comes to the garden I have been known to start toms in january