Old 05-06-2015, 12:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
Default Re: Exactly my point

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepperSA View Post
Ok, my 2c.

There are about 35 1oz coins in a kilogram - if they were gold coins the total value would be 35 x $1,189.00 (today's gold price) x R12.05 (today's R/$ exchange rate) = +- R501,460.75.

If we had a major economic/political meltdown and you decide to bug out to another country...

With 70 coins you would be able to bug out with over a million Mandelas' equivalent weighing 2 kg's. Even at our ****ty exchange rate that would give you over $80,000; should be enough for a start in another country.

I'm not debating the challenges (bribes ) of getting it out of the country and so on; my example is purely to demonstrate that it is compact, movable wealth. And no, I don't have 70 coins.

My main focus is on water, food and security at the moment.
Maybe I am wrong, but most of the people I have met on here are in the same boat. They are trying to get fundamentals in order and do not have excess money to buy PM's with. I have PM's and P stones but in the form of jewelry. And we use it and enjoy it now, but if the stuff hits the fan, I will quickly part with them if need be in order to eat.

I believe commodities are possibly a better investment. For example, I have a lot of bar soap that I bought at R4 a couple years ago and it is now selling for up to R12 or R8 when on special. I should be able to trade some of that for something I need or use it if need be. It is worth more to me than silver. Maybe it is not as portable as gold, but it is valuable nonetheless.

I ultimately agree that if I had the ability to have 70 gold coins and everything else I believed I needed, I certainly would buy them, but for now it is not high on my list of priorities. I would rather have essentials topped up and then maybe if the price of gold continues to go down, I will buy some small coins because they will probably be easier to trade.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2015, 01:00 PM
civilizationsend.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick von Strass View Post
I like this approach. I could see myself spending a small amount to take a nominal precaution along these lines, in spite of not being infatuated with the virtues of PMs generally, or as a panacea (as they are presented in some circles); besides which, I am a layman.

Could you give me simple advice on how to follow your suggestion?

Suppose somebody said to you "You have 2hrs to get back here with some beef for R50 or we're gonna... I dunno... blow up your house". You turn to me as a meat expert and ask me for straightforward advice - leaving out my own professional preference for farms, City Deep Market, and complicated ways of determining how good the meat is - and I reply "From here where we stand in Northcliff, you could try any Spar on Beyers Naude Drive for brisket at R38/kg, or Pick'n'Pay for their FQ rib-eye special. You'll make it back in forty minutes".

Forgive the silly example, Xizero, but I am such a layman in this field, and so uninterested in bending over backwards for PMs, that I really hope that you can give me an easy, simple, piece of advice like "Avoid American Swiss Jewellers, but any pawn shop will sell you a 45 proof, "defibrillated", 80% pure, 1910 coin for R299.99c".

I hope (in my ignorance) that that is a reasonable request.
im far from an expert but i inherited about 50 silver x 5 shilling pieces like these http://www.coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/...main_coin=5747 in the years 1947 to 1952 -- they are worth about R100 each at current rates ...

i have found the best place to look is actually bid or buy - -there arn't many coin dealers around and most will look more at face value...
thats where i met the guy from silver sphere mentioned before... in my first postings .

i bought the cheapest "coins" which were the johneon matthey bars at the time for about R360 at the time ...

the value has come down much since then.
the guy from silver sphere brings in large amounts -- sometimes as much as 5000 ounces at time . and he doesnt worry to much about the actual silver price. he is very candid about how he works out his prices .. for instance if he pays 200 in silver price , he told me he adds the vat as required and between 10 and 15 % profit and thats what he charges. plus shipping if required .. it might interest you that last time we chatted it was in north cliff which is where he lives.
he was honest in all his dealings with me which counts in my book .. i have referred him loads of business simply cause of this
you can get from any coind dealer .. there is one in cresta mall ... and in most malls.

but i have yet to beat his prices http://silver-sphere.co.za/

also gold reef city mint sells them but at large profit ..

the best for purity are the Canadian 5 dollar ... which also have the best silver content of 99.99% as opposed to 99.9% pure and they also have a face value so will never drop below 5 canadian $'s each .. even if the silver price plumets .. these are what i would buy if i was starting now ..
http://silver-sphere.co.za/product/1...ple-leaf-2015/
The Following User Says Thank You to xizero For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2015, 01:03 PM
civilizationsend.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by drray777 View Post
Maybe I am wrong, but most of the people I have met on here are in the same boat. They are trying to get fundamentals in order and do not have excess money to buy PM's with. I have PM's and P stones but in the form of jewelry. And we use it and enjoy it now, but if the stuff hits the fan, I will quickly part with them if need be in order to eat.

I believe commodities are possibly a better investment. For example, I have a lot of bar soap that I bought at R4 a couple years ago and it is now selling for up to R12 or R8 when on special. I should be able to trade some of that for something I need or use it if need be. It is worth more to me than silver. Maybe it is not as portable as gold, but it is valuable nonetheless.

I ultimately agree that if I had the ability to have 70 gold coins and everything else I believed I needed, I certainly would buy them, but for now it is not high on my list of priorities. I would rather have essentials topped up and then maybe if the price of gold continues to go down, I will buy some small coins because they will probably be easier to trade.

always best to get the 6 b's sorted first
BAGS,
BULLETS,
BEANS,
BAND-AIDS,
BUNKERS AND BOOTS
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xizero For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2015, 01:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,681 Times in 955 Posts

SOmeone advised to trade gold coins with friends. You sell your gold to friend A when you lose your job, and buy them back if you wish later at a mutual consent. Cut out the dealer's 18% cut.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:41 PM
civilizationsend.com

yeah that works well if you have a friend willing to buy / sell . etc ... personally i have about 45 kg's of lead and over 15000 casings in brass too .. i like reloading and i cast my own too... so its worth while to mention that these are also good to have, and are worth more then gold if needed, and i hope i never need them.

i also have 2 molds if you were wondering .. semi wads and 2 ogave round nose for 9mm .. that work perfectly in my 9 ... never get any leading with the loads i use.. but thats for another forum
The Following User Says Thank You to xizero For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2015, 02:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,681 Times in 955 Posts

Well according to the evangelicals and the Bible, there will come a time where you will work the whole day only to fork over your whole day's wage for food. Nothing else. Just food.

May as well buy ahead of time and buffer some chow.
The Following User Says Thank You to KeyboardKommando For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2015, 03:10 PM
civilizationsend.com

Very possible ... Loads of people already do... Most are in China ... And Africa. And South America. Brics by all accounts prefer there people this way ... If you own the land you can grow your own ... Which is what we should all strive to do ...
Old 01-19-2020, 01:58 PM

If you guys are ever looking for a nice place to buy silver, have a look at <a href="https://cheekymongoose.co.za/" target="_blank">www.cheekymongoose.co.za/</a>