Bushcraft/Survival/All purpose knife - Page 4 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 01-02-2020, 07:56 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,659 Times in 3,946 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Mjolnir View Post
"Quote:
People keep saying that the technique of batoning wood [with a knife] is historically documented. If it is I can't find anything previous to say, the prior 25 years, that describe it as a recommended procedure. If anyone has a link they trust I'd like to see it.
I would certainly baton if circumstances required it - I've just never been in that position and don't intend to if I can help it.
"

Added...with a knife - Sorry, thought it was obvious.
Note that article also mentions using wedges to split wood:

Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2020, 08:41 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,835 Times in 693 Posts

@drobs Nice link, as was the one from the previous poster. My point isn't that a person should not know how to baton with a knife or how to use a fabricated wedge but that in most cases battoning just isn't necessary. There just isn't any historical evidence of widespread use of a baton and a knife to split firewood in N. America as a recommended procedure prior to the last 25 years or so.
Not with Boone, not with Simon Kenton, Louis & Clark, Horace Kephart, George Washington Sear a/k/a Nessmuk, not one mention of 'Long Hunters' using a Green River knife in such a manner - you get the picture.
If someone has what they believe is a historically accurate link of such, please post it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Major Mjolnir For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2020, 12:56 PM
Survivor

Quote:
@drobs Nice link, as was the one from the previous poster. My point isn't that a person should not know how to baton with a knife or how to use a fabricated wedge but that in most cases battoning just isn't necessary. There just isn't any historical evidence of widespread use of a baton and a knife to split firewood in N. America as a recommended procedure prior to the last 25 years or so.
Not with Boone, not with Simon Kenton, Louis & Clark, Horace Kephart, George Washington Sear a/k/a Nessmuk, not one mention of 'Long Hunters' using a Green River knife in such a manner - you get the picture.
If someone has what they believe is a historically accurate link of such, please post it.

Not all Froes look the same. Here's a wrought iron Froe Knife dated between 1790 to 1850.

https://kyhistory.pastperfectonline....8-963505498546

1920's reference using a jack knife to split wood:
https://bookdome.com/outdoors/campin...l#.Xg4uHPxry00

https://bookdome.com/outdoors/campin...l#.Xg4uDfxry01

I don't think battoning with a knife was significant enough to be mentioned by historical texts.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2020, 02:46 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,835 Times in 693 Posts

...and a cooper's froe from here: https://shakerml.org/object/?id=2740
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191218_1133_Coopers_Froe.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	295698  
Old 01-02-2020, 06:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,528 Times in 1,813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
I do not understand the fascination with batoning....
I just batoned 3 small logs for the fire place. There's a practical side, making smaller pieces of woods to start a fire, or to get to the part on the inside that isnt wet. I have three knives that I use mostly for this sort of thing.
Also, its a testament to how tought and reliable the knife is. If in this day and age a survival/outdoors knife cant take a few wacks to the spine of blade as it splits wood, then its just a pretty crappy knife. Lots of blades in all price ranges can easily handle that task.
And it certainly inst anything new. I have an 80s survival book from some Spanish guy describing batoning, done often by the sami people.
Ever heard of a puukko knife? you probably have.
Ever heard of the Sami people? Probably have as well, natives of Finland.
What about the Sami knife... the knife the sami people relied on?
Big version of the pukkoo, about 8 inch blade, what some youtube wannabe knife expert would call a chopper. The sami would often use such a knife to split wood by batoning to reach the dry part inside and start a fire.
The Following User Says Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2020, 06:36 PM
Survivor

Batoning wood with a butter knife

Old 01-02-2020, 06:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,388 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
SNIP

Simon Kenton... now he was a seriously BAMF!!
He deserves much more credit for his role in the birth of this great nation. It is not an exaggeration to say that were it not for him we may not be here today yet he gets hardly a passing mention in some history books.

“The Frontiersmen” by Allan W. Eckert does a pretty good job telling his tale and is one of my all time favorite pieces of historical nonfiction. (Not for the squeamish)

Apologies for the derail.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corpus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2020, 07:05 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,507 Times in 11,530 Posts

Buck Knives made a compadre Froe for a while. was plain or red series. think they discontinued now
seen em on ebay for bout $150 the Buck 108
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	buck froe 108.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	295706  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2020, 11:07 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,153 Times in 759 Posts

I'd like to bring up the middle ground between the chopping/splitting ability of a hatchet and the packability/versatility of a knife: the tomahawk.

My Cold Steel Trailhawk chops and splits as well as any hatchet I've used, weighs significantly less, is easier to make a replacement handle in the woods, AND is more versatile. I've cleaned fish with it. It wasn't pretty, but it got done. There IS a learning curve to swinging a lighter head on a longer stick (leave the handle long, the extra leverage and speed compensate for the lack of mass).
The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaSierraCharlie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2020, 03:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,528 Times in 1,813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaSierraCharlie View Post
I'd like to bring up the middle ground between the chopping/splitting ability of a hatchet and the packability/versatility of a knife: the tomahawk.

My Cold Steel Trailhawk chops and splits as well as any hatchet I've used, weighs significantly less, is easier to make a replacement handle in the woods, AND is more versatile. I've cleaned fish with it. It wasn't pretty, but it got done. There IS a learning curve to swinging a lighter head on a longer stick (leave the handle long, the extra leverage and speed compensate for the lack of mass).
Do you find it that more handy than a large large, if you are carrying only one tool? I dont know if the wood splitting vs all other knife tasks ratio justifies it.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:06 PM
Target Shooter

Mora bushcraft and 130mm silky saw
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeterWiggin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2020, 01:51 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

another that can be used as a splitter is a WT Smilodon. its more of a cleaver than a knife, but serves dual purpose full hand and a half on the grip, .250 D2 holds a edge and will sheer thru bone if ya got the effort to push it. same as a hatchet.,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wander tacticalM 016.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	295722   Click image for larger version

Name:	wander tactical 022.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	295724   Click image for larger version

Name:	wander tactical 017.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	295726  
The Following User Says Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2020, 03:07 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerFAL View Post
Quote:

Do you find it that more handy than a large large, if you are carrying only one tool? I dont know if the wood splitting vs all other knife tasks ratio justifies it.
Do you mean a large axe, or a large knife?

Unless I'm dealing with trees bigger than a folding saw can handle, I'll choose that particular style of tomahawk over a full size axe if I can only have one.

Tomahawk vs. large knife, it depends on what I'm expecting to do. But the more I use the 'hawk the more inclined I am to prefer it and a small knife over a large knife AND a small knife.

A tomahawk does take a bit of usage before you can get the most out of it, so I wouldn't replace another piece of kit with it until you've gotten the hang of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaSierraCharlie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2020, 10:36 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,471 Times in 4,349 Posts

For weight savings, I really like a decent, belt-fixed knife and a Silky saw. There's just so much you can do and to be honest, unless you're building a major shelter, I just can never justify carrying an axe if doing long distance stuff. One you get a fire built, I've never needed a large saw, chopper, or axe to process wood. Of course, that is very relative to location and season. I can understand those that live in a boreal forest area or trekking through snow would find the heft and value of an axe far more than me in my location.

I would strongly consider a tomahawk in addition to a belt knife and saw. Sort of a jack-of-all-trades, master of none tool. The simple Cold Steel Trailhawk has been used as a knife, adz, ulu, chisel, plane, etc. Having a friction head tomahawk can be a very good tool (not the best chopper or splitter by any means though).

ROCK6
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2020, 12:17 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerFAL View Post
, or to get to the part on the inside that isnt wet.
How do y'all get to the inside dry part if you don't "baton"?
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterWiggin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2020, 03:09 PM
Hunter

Split it with your thumbnail, like Paul Bunyan.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:29 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Split it with your thumbnail, like Paul Bunyan.
I tried to baton my thumb and am now at the hospital... So no.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeterWiggin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2020, 10:46 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWiggin View Post
How do y'all get to the inside dry part if you don't "baton"?
ON all my big kits, you will notice 2 tubes mounted on the sheath. both are oring sealed, pill carriers you buy at any drugstore. one is filled with magnesium shavings. one is filled with southern pitch lighter wood shavings. using bow drill, fire piston (with char cloth) flint and steel, Fresnel lens, I can start a pocket fire to build on even on a day when the devil himself couldnt make a spark. ALWAYS have at least 2 ways to start a burn in your kit.
a blade with kit stays strapped to my bag, and my butt dont travel anywhere without my bag. i will put up with a lil extra weight just to have that ability.
opinions may differ and vary........
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Big Blades 003.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	295770  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2020, 11:45 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin X View Post
ON all my big kits, you will notice 2 tubes mounted on the sheath. both are oring sealed, pill carriers you buy at any drugstore. one is filled with magnesium shavings. one is filled with southern pitch lighter wood shavings. using bow drill, fire piston (with char cloth) flint and steel, Fresnel lens, I can start a pocket fire to build on even on a day when the devil himself couldnt make a spark. ALWAYS have at least 2 ways to start a burn in your kit.
a blade with kit stays strapped to my bag, and my butt dont travel anywhere without my bag. i will put up with a lil extra weight just to have that ability.
opinions may differ and vary........
No.i get that. I to carry five sta rter

but not my question... How do you get to the inside dry if you don't baton?
Old 01-05-2020, 05:02 AM
Third World'er Lunatic

notch it. start your burn in the notch,.........