Survivalist Forum banner

Favorite Lures

9K views 40 replies 31 participants last post by  charliemeyer007 
#1 ·
I know it is dependent on where, when, and what you are fishing for.....

For my area I really like the segmented lures that simulate a swimming fish.
I have caught, small and large mouth bass, crappie, and of course squaw fish.

This one in a few color patterns has done really well (generic pic). Got a pretty large crappie the other day at a local pond, I have just not had luck with plastics no matter the rig.

A lot of trout in the area too, but I just cant get them to hit anything but salmon eggs on a bobber, I just get bored with waiting. But we do have two pole licences and that lets me run that and my crank bait at the same time.

See less See more
#28 ·
In the south pretty much any small spinner bait will catch bass, white perch and, if small enough, bream.
I like the Beetle Spin in white with the red spot and the real little ones are a good bug-out bait as they will catch anything swimming ... and even little bream (or perch) are protein.
Pretty much any water in this end of the country will have some bream in it.

#30 ·
I have caught most of my fish on an H&H Spinner. I don't know if they are even made anymore. I have a bunch now and don't fish much anymore. My favorite colors were white, black & yellow, black & white, solid yellow and chartruse.

I liked the H&H because when I was a kid they were $.19 each. I used to buy them by the card because I lost so many. But I wasn't afraid to cast them in thick cover either. As soon as they hit the water I started reeling so they were just below the surface and the spinning blade made a ripple in the water. Wow! The strikes I would get.

I also had good success with red & white, silver and gold spoons. But silver was the best. Then add in the spinners like Rooster Tails and a similar lure that I can't for the life of me remember the name of that I actually had better luck with than the Rooster Tails. And then the various crank baits.

For Fly Rod fishing I liked a Muddler Minnow best of all. I caught all sorts of fish with that lure. The fish tear them up pretty quick.

Reactions: ImStillHere
#32 ·
I also had good success with red & white, silver and gold spoons. But silver was the best. Then add in the spinners like Rooster Tails and a similar lure that I can't for the life of me remember the name of that I actually had better luck with than the Rooster Tails. And then the various crank baits.
I finally remembered the name of the lure that is similar to the Rooster Tail. Its caled a "Shyster". I have caught a lot of bass on those lures. There used to be a lot of cheap knock offs and the blades didn't always spin well. But the real deal spins like crazy even at a slow retrieve.

https://www.rapala.com/luhr-jensen/lures/spinners/shyster/Shyster.html

#36 ·
Can you still buy pork rind baits? I looked for it a couple of years ago and it looks like Uncle Josh is gone. I used to add it to my spinner baits. I don't know if it helped or not but it made me feel better.:D:

#39 ·
I fish high mountain lakes for small trout that are usually 16" or less. For these lakes I like:
1) Hammered copper spoon (my new fave)
2) Jakes Spin-A-Lure gold - My longest reigning champion. (sometimes silver)
3) Other spoons (hammered, gold, silver)
4) Dare Devil Spoon
5) Panther Martin 1/4 oz gold with black body and yellow spots (this is usually my river/creek spinner but I also use it on lakes) For creeks this one is #1.

#41 ·
Mepp's #1 black with yellow spots, silver, copper, red with white stripes. I replace the factory treble hooks when they get worn with smaller Eagle claw ones. I almost never get a strike that I don't land.

I have an assortment of every color of lead head jig for crappies. Usually one is hot and the rest don't hardly work at all that day.

I try 5 casts, then switch to a new lure until I find what they want that day. Local bugs and salmon eggs can work too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.