Encouraging eye growth on potatoes - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Encouraging News on .22LR Amoo Henrykjr Firearms General Discussion 9 03-08-2013 11:49 PM
An encouraging number BluntForceTrauma Political News and Discussion 12 11-02-2012 07:33 AM
This is encouraging -- Ricekila Political News and Discussion 2 08-23-2012 08:48 PM
AARP encouraging being prepared PSYOP Soldier General Discussion 3 07-12-2012 12:49 AM
Well, this is encouraging cowboyup Political News and Discussion 1 02-09-2012 01:04 PM
Allstate is encouraging radicals PSYOP Soldier Urban Survival 17 12-18-2011 05:52 PM
An encouraging experience Orca Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 03-22-2011 09:45 PM
Well this is encouraging CPT Shortcut Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 03-23-2009 02:54 PM

Old 03-22-2010, 07:23 PM

Default Encouraging eye growth on potatoes

Advertise Here

This might be a stupid question, but is there anyway to encourage eye growth on potatoes?

This is my first year growing them, so I got some from gurneys. They came last week, but not many of them have eyes. I'm assuming that most, if not all of them, will eventually have eyes, and am curious if there's a way to speed up the process.

Doesn't sound right, but should I just plant them with or without an established eye with the assumption that one will grow eventually and re-orient itself once the potato's in the ground?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2010, 07:30 PM
Trapper

Leave 'em for awhile in a dark place. They'll do their thing on their own when it's the right time. Plants know when to sprout. You can either cut them in pieces with one eye per piece, or plant the potatoes whole.
The Following User Says Thank You to jane333 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2010, 09:19 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,778 Times in 44,509 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

If you put them in a warm bright area, it will encourage the eyes to grow.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2010, 01:54 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,855 Times in 817 Posts

My understanding is that you want to expose them to light. I know that the ones I have in a bag in an area that gets sunlight regularly have started sprouting eyes, and usually the recommendation is to store potatoes in the dark, probably to discourage the growth of eyes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrowserCat For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 39,688 Times in 7,909 Posts

Cut the potatoes like you were going to plant them, take a cookie sheet and put about 1/8 - 1/4 inch of water in it.

Then place the potato cuttings into the water. After a few days the cuttings will start to sprout roots.

As for eyes, they will sprout when they are ready. I personally think that they have some kind of internal clock that tells them when its time to sprout. Temperature can help or hurt the sprouting process. I think if you keep the potatoes cool, the longer it will take them to sprout. Put them in a warm place, and you might be able to speed up the sprouting process. But do not expose the potatoes do direct sunlight.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Sic semper tyrannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane333 View Post
Leave 'em for awhile in a dark place. They'll do their thing on their own when it's the right time. Plants know when to sprout. You can either cut them in pieces with one eye per piece, or plant the potatoes whole.
chitting potatoes is done by putting them in a spot where they'll get indirect sunlight. It promotes the growth of strong chutes.
The Following User Says Thank You to fulminated For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Board Supporter

Thanked 3,916 Times in 1,044 Posts

I have always been told not to store potatoes near onions or apples as they will cause the potatoes to sprout, so you might try that. Mine have started to develope eyes that are about 1/4 inches long, so I was going to put an onion with each small box of potatoes to see if it helps hurry them along. I don't think I would plant them without sprouts on them ... they might just start to rot and decompose if they haven't started growing before you put them into the ground. I am in Central Virginia, and I still have 2-3 weeks left to get them into the ground, so I am sure that by then, they will be ready! You still have a little time ....
Old 03-23-2010, 06:16 PM
Wanderer

Thanked 2,763 Times in 1,442 Posts

Plant only potato pieces with eyes. If you plant them without eyes, they will just rot. You can force more eyes by leaving the potatos in indirect sun and a warm, moist (humid) area.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:14 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulminated View Post
chitting potatoes is done by putting them in a spot where they'll get indirect sunlight. It promotes the growth of strong chutes.
Is any of that in English?? You sound like an expert, tho.

I store my seed potatoes all winter in the cool, dark. They sprout on time, ready for planting, sometime in March. I suppose I could leave them in the light and then they'd get eyes in January, but what's the point? The ground's frozen.

So, if you really know your stuff, explain what the point is of taking them out of the dark (underground in a field in the real world, waiting for Spring thaw) so that they get started BEFORE the temperatures are sufficiently warm outside to plant. I wanna know.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:28 PM
Sic semper tyrannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane333 View Post
Is any of that in English?? You sound like an expert, tho.

I store my seed potatoes all winter in the cool, dark. They sprout on time, ready for planting, sometime in March. I suppose I could leave them in the light and then they'd get eyes in January, but what's the point? The ground's frozen.

So, if you really know your stuff, explain what the point is of taking them out of the dark (underground in a field in the real world, waiting for Spring thaw) so that they get started BEFORE the temperatures are sufficiently warm outside to plant. I wanna know.
I'm not an expert. I read stuff. The stuff I read said chitting helps early varieties produce a better yield. A very experienced homesteader who no longer posts here also advised me to chit them. The why's and wherefors don't really concern me as much as the how and when.

http://www.the-organic-gardener.com/...-potatoes.html

from google search results.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:48 PM

Default Update

for what it's worth, i tried a several of the solutions mentioned:

1. halved/quartered the spuds, suspended them in water and set them on the window sill (with the blinds closed most of the time). [chutes sprouted to around 1/4" and are mostly green]

2. halved/quartered the potatoes and set them on the window sill with no water. [eyes showed some small growth]

3. left the spuds whole and set them on the window sill. [the eyes didn't budge on these]

4. put some of the whole potatoes back in the paper bag and put it in the laundry room (cool temps for the most part) and away from any windows/sunlight. [the eyes on these grew like crazy. probably the best results of the bunch]

like i said, take it with a grain of salt, but seems like stowing them in a cool, dark place works quite well, and in my case better than any other option.

thanks again for all of the suggestions!
Old 04-01-2010, 12:45 AM
Weed 'em and reap

Thanked 122,812 Times in 24,282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeh8bolton View Post
This might be a stupid question, but is there anyway to encourage eye growth on potatoes?
Put them in my basement for a week. It never fails (even when you want it to ).
Old 04-01-2010, 02:05 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 29,990 Times in 13,204 Posts

Put them in the pantry, under the bottom shelf, don't open the door for a week...they will sprout... stink a bit but they will sprout....

Old 04-02-2010, 09:00 PM

I prefer the KISS system whenever possible. I let them sprout in the ground, that way they don't break. If you see a little pimple size spot, that will be an eye.

My grandfather (frugal fellow) used to cut the eyes out when he peeled his potatoes and plant them.

This is not rocket science people. Potatoes know how to reproduce themselves better than we do.