Report; Old Tractors in Demand - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 01-09-2020, 04:30 PM
democrats = Hydra

Thanked 9,669 Times in 3,699 Posts
Default Report; Old Tractors in Demand

Advertise Here

http://www.startribune.com/for-tech-...ity/566737082/

farmers are buying older tractors
easier maintenance
much cheaper to fix/maintain/run than newer stuff

(tractors, like cars, getting computerized.)

quote;
“There’s an affinity factor if you grew up around these tractors, but it goes way beyond that,” Peterson said. “These things, they’re basically bulletproof. You can put 15,000 hours on it and if something breaks you can just replace it.”

BigIron Auctions, a Nebraska-based dealer that auctioned 3,300 pieces of farm equipment online in two days last month, sold 27 John Deere 4440 tractors through 2019.

The model, which Deere built between 1977 and 1982 at a factory in Waterloo, Iowa, was the most popular of the company’s “Iron Horse” series of tractors, which used stronger and heavier internal components to support engines with greater horsepower. The tractors featured big, safe cabins, advancing a design first seen in the 1960s that is now standard.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sailorsam For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 04:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,361 Times in 2,906 Posts

Our area the old Ford 8N & 9N are popular for orchard work/farm use, my deceased BIL had a 1953 9N which ran perfectly and was easy to maintain. The BIL's tractor is still running and working for the new owner, we have an auction twice a year for farm equipment locally and there seems to be a good following for older tractors.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kalifornia Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 07:15 PM
Prepared

I know nothing about farming, are there any "regulations" on farm equipment that would push people to buy the newer stuff?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zebra007 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2020, 07:41 PM
ǝnƃoɹ ǝuoƃ

Thanked 24,135 Times in 7,005 Posts
Default CAW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra007 View Post
I know nothing about farming, are there any "regulations" on farm equipment that would push people to buy the newer stuff?

Good question...If not I'm sure the lobbyist are pushing for it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to n1d For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 07:47 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 26,736 Times in 9,560 Posts

You don't own the new ones, don't pay the rent on your software - the tractor quits working.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 07:58 PM
Swirl Herder

Thanked 8,471 Times in 2,380 Posts

Yeah - I don't know about going back forty years though.....

My last tractor was built in the early 1990s.

My current tractor is 12 years old (that I bought new).

The current tractor is much better than the older one - and it doesn't have any software licensed by the manufacturer.

A lot of the time, old and worn out is just old and worn out.......
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hardcalibres For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 08:00 PM
Prepared

Thanked 1,328 Times in 299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
You don't own the new ones, don't pay the rent on your software - the tractor quits working.
This. You dont own anything new you buy. Spend several hundred thousand on a new tractor and then if you so much as pop the hood without a john Deere technician beside you to do it.....well you just voided the warranty.

Oh and those technicians are not cheap when something does break. And break it will. Farming is a matter of when it breaks not if
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fire_fighter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 08:37 PM
Fly it Northward

My buddies new JD shut down to limp mode. 30 hours on the machine. Tech comes out, runs the diagnostic, and determines that the courtesy cab light failed causing the machine go into limp mode.

My 1984 Universal still works fine...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to northernguy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 09:08 PM
Prepared

I know a bunch of people running those big tractors from the late 70's and 80's. But every single one of them has a big heated shop so they can do a lot of mechanical work and preventative maintenance in the winter when they have down time. Let's just say that other than parts, they aren't calling John Deere for any repairs. To be messing around with equipment this size you probably are very mechanically inclined and have the tools and shop to do a lot yourself. If not, a lot of what can go wrong is not stuff you are doing on your gravel driveway. I had a JD from the 60's and found that the parts were prohibitively expensive and without a bigger shop to work on it in the winter it was not worth the time and effort. I went with a modern subcompact Kubota and never looked back, best thing I ever did.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to powderandprimers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 10:30 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 34,409 Times in 8,242 Posts

It seems to me that a company would be REALLY smart to build and market "dumb" technology like old mechanical equipment, old cars, old phones, etc. Buy up or simply steal the old tooling and technology since patents are long expired, and build these.

Sell at cut rate prices.

And re-constitute the parts supply for them.

A huge section of the population appreciates "dumb" stuff that's easy to fix.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2020, 12:39 AM
Swirl Herder

Thanked 8,471 Times in 2,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderandprimers View Post
I know a bunch of people running those big tractors from the late 70's and 80's. But every single one of them has a big heated shop so they can do a lot of mechanical work and preventative maintenance in the winter when they have down time. Let's just say that other than parts, they aren't calling John Deere for any repairs. To be messing around with equipment this size you probably are very mechanically inclined and have the tools and shop to do a lot yourself. If not, a lot of what can go wrong is not stuff you are doing on your gravel driveway. I had a JD from the 60's and found that the parts were prohibitively expensive and without a bigger shop to work on it in the winter it was not worth the time and effort. I went with a modern subcompact Kubota and never looked back, best thing I ever did.
Kubota would be my choice if I were buying another new tractor today.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hardcalibres For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2020, 12:05 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 35,833 Times in 10,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
It seems to me that a company would be REALLY smart to build and market "dumb" technology like old mechanical equipment, old cars, old phones, etc. Buy up or simply steal the old tooling and technology since patents are long expired, and build these.

Sell at cut rate prices.

And re-constitute the parts supply for them.

A huge section of the population appreciates "dumb" stuff that's easy to fix.
Some bright folks in India did just that in1962. They bought the design rights, drawings, tooling, and spare parts to produce International Harvester tractors, and named their new company Mahindra.

They still sell some if the original IH designs, but they also have developed and offer more modern designs. Including the one I purchased new when I retired 5 yrs ago.

In 2009, they became the worlds largest tractor company, so I guess a lot of people agree with you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	user16036_pic38226_1430779426.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	295926  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2020, 12:28 PM

I love my 8 year old Mahindra!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pheonix For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2020, 04:14 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
Some bright folks in India did just that in1962. They bought the design rights, drawings, tooling, and spare parts to produce International Harvester tractors, and named their new company Mahindra.

They still sell some if the original IH designs, but they also have developed and offer more modern designs. Including the one I purchased new when I retired 5 yrs ago.

In 2009, they became the worlds largest tractor company, so I guess a lot of people agree with you.
There are some Chinese companies starting to make super budget tractors too. Under $10k for some really high HP tractors but not sure exactly what kind of quality they are and whether they will pass any types of emissions standards. But I bet we'll be seeing them by the time 10 years have gone by. They seem very basic. They claim parts are readily available (from them, shipped from China). I just don't know anyone who wants to gamble that much yet!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to powderandprimers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2020, 04:31 PM
You were the Executioner.

Thanked 2,069 Times in 615 Posts

I had an old 8N years ago, but don't know where it went. I guess it was lost in the move. I currently have an older Ford 3600 that is a bit big IMO but it works great and I've never had any real issues with it. I try to take really good care of it. It doesn't get any heavy duty use, just plowing disking and mowing.

My late ex FIL had the first Mahindra dealership in Texas years ago. Everyone laughed at him, but when they started selling them as fast as they could get them, people took notice. I still miss him, he was a fine man, a great guy to have for a FIL. He was the first person to ever treat me like I was an adult.

I'd like to find a small lawn tractor that has a few implements, for the really light duty stuff and pulling a cart, etc. Like a little Kubota or something. For when I don't want to fire up the big tractor to do a small chore.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mazarine33 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2020, 05:04 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 35,833 Times in 10,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderandprimers View Post
There are some Chinese companies starting to make super budget tractors too. Under $10k for some really high HP tractors but not sure exactly what kind of quality they are and whether they will pass any types of emissions standards. But I bet we'll be seeing them by the time 10 years have gone by. They seem very basic. They claim parts are readily available (from them, shipped from China). I just don't know anyone who wants to gamble that much yet!
I researched the chinese tractors 20 yrs ago when I was looking for a small loader tractor. They were significantly cheaper (3-4k less), but much less reliable than my John Deere 790.

In the last 20 yrs, all I have done to my JD is replace the battery, and one hydrualic hose.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2020, 05:30 PM
That'll be the day...

Thanked 8,023 Times in 1,790 Posts

I inherited my folks Mahindra, 25hp, 3 cylinder Diesel, 4WD with Front End Loader that is 14 years old. There are only 5 sensors on that whole tractor: Oil Pressure, Water Temp, Hydraulic Fluid Level, Fuel Level and Neutral Transmission Sensor for Starting. I am sure it has electronic ignition.... but other than what I have mentioned, it is darn.... darn..... darn simple. I lift the hood and it seems I am looking at a 1940's auto.

The tractor was kept in a barn and when I received it, it only had 140 hours on the clock. It is in pristine condition and I love having it on our small amount of property. When the snow falls big and heavy, it is so nice to use the front end loader to move the snow. The only thing it doesn't have that I wish it had..... belly mower. And I can't find one for this model.

But heck, I was checking out the compact, 2020 models the last time I was in the dealership buying an oil filter and was stunned.... There are a lot of electronics on these new ones and the prices are insane. A tiny little compact diesel with 4x4, front end loader and belly mower is nearly $20,000.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Big_John For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2020, 12:03 AM
I have control issues

Thanked 7,571 Times in 3,038 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

When I was looking for a tractor, I went with an LS - 25hp 4WD with front-end loader and back hoe. Super simple, straight diesel, none of the troublesome electronics or computerized nonsense. Only real problem we've had was a couple of flats due to running over mesquite thorns. We solved the problem when we had it serviced by having the tires filled. No more flats, and haven't had any other problems.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2020, 08:06 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
When I was looking for a tractor, I went with an LS - 25hp 4WD with front-end loader and back hoe. Super simple, straight diesel, none of the troublesome electronics or computerized nonsense. Only real problem we've had was a couple of flats due to running over mesquite thorns. We solved the problem when we had it serviced by having the tires filled. No more flats, and haven't had any other problems.
What did you fill the tires with? Was it water you used or something else? Repairing a tire on my elderly kubota L2350 compact was not a fun job. With a board I drove my F150 over the tire to break the bead and then worked if off with crowbars. Found small sharp pieces of road gravel between the tube and tire. A new tube was over $60. If I ever need new tires those are a lot more.
Even jacking the tractor up was challenge since there are no real good jacking point. I have a three point hitch but no draw bar that I was told was where the shop did it by a kubota dealer.
To work on some parts of tractors apparently you need to split the case and slide the divided parts away from each other.
I remember my relatives with farms had shops where a lot of such work could be done. Me I just built an area with a roof to keep the worst of the sun and rain off the tractor. I also fenced it to keep the dogs away. An antifreeze leak could readily kill the dogs. I recently had to replace the water pump and that also was not fun. It had about 15 bolts in it and needed someone with tiny hands if you did not want to remove the radiator. I still had to loosen the radiator and push it a little to the front.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to barnetmill For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2020, 12:09 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,808 Times in 1,056 Posts

I love our 70s Yanmar 240. It is currently down, needing its first replacement generator. 45 years is pretty good. Our new Holland has been in for repairs way more, and it's only around 20 years old. I think the front end loader is probably the only reason we keep it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ebjr1967 For This Useful Post: