Shtf hot showers? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 12-27-2019, 11:47 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,298 Times in 963 Posts
Default Shtf hot showers?

Advertise Here

I don't know about the rest of you, but a day without a hot shower is just about unthinkable for me. As I attempt to prepare for the worst, I bought a backpacking shower that would need to be filled with warm water, has a foot pump and a hand-held spray nozzle much like a sink sprayer. Its not great, but probably better than nothing.

I know we could depend on sponge baths and no doubt we would, but at least weekly I would really, really want to get thoroughly clean.

As a back up I also bought one of the cheapo black plastic bag thingies that you lay out in the sun to warm the water up that you put in it and then hang it up and stand under it washing as fast as possible.

In the novel "Lights Out", by Dave Crawford the organized community he writes about how they got 55 gallon steel drums, painted them black and built a wooden frame to mount them in for the community. Of course, they were in south Texas so getting the water warm in the summer Texas sun wouldn't be too much of a challenge.

Any ideas???
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RichardinColorado For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 11:57 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,114 Times in 870 Posts

Solar showers work very well.
When you don't have sun.
Fill one half way with cold water then top off with a pot of hot water.
Store the filled shower if necessary in a cooler chest, it will stay warm all day.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Stinky For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 12:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,310 Times in 1,602 Posts

Hot shower is a luxury, more-so is a hot bath.

Having gone without a shower for months at a time, agree that it is a luxury worth thinking a little bit about.

We have several methods, depending upon what other luxuries would be available.

Coleman propane hot water on demand. Needs 12V recharge access & propane. Fashioned up a recycler valve so the hot water cycles thru the 5 gallon water bucket, heating up that water, then turn off the propane heater & still use the water pump/shower nozzle. No scalding risk.

Hand pump garden sprayer attached to a 5 gallon scepter water can. Needs hot water to fill, easy enough to do.

AA rechargeable battery powered hose / wand deal. Never actually have used it out and about, however seems to work well enough testing. Forget the brand on it. Would use with a 5 gal bucket.

Camp black bag shower deal.

Less luxuries available, hot water “sponge” bath. Washcloths/bar cloths. Quicker, less water used, less fuel used.

Niceties to think on if outdoors shower. Privacy screen method. Oil drain pan to collect wash water/keep you out of the mud. Section of outdoors carpet next to the collection pan.

Alternatively a rubber “welcome mat” on top of a mini pallet.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2019, 01:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 76,095 Times in 23,313 Posts

I haven't installed.my wood stove water jacket yet, but when i do I'll be plumbing it into my water system, wood fired hot water on tap.

Right now I use propane
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 01:32 PM
Harsh and unpleasant

Thanked 3,523 Times in 1,370 Posts

Bleach jugs painted black in warm months, stock pot on the stove in cold times.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 01:51 PM
I love this Forum.

Thanked 13,553 Times in 3,852 Posts

`

Years ago I bought one that runs on propane. It can use the small 1lb bottles or hook up to a larger tank. I also have one of the solar showers. I bought a good portable toilet that you put a plastic bag & some gel to keep the smell down & break down waste. Then a couple of privacy tents that are just big enough to stand in & take a shower or change, use the toilet etc. With a wife & daughters these things were always a lot higher priority than for me and/or my son. I do still like a hot shower though. When I keep my hair short going a couple of days without a shower doesn't bother me as much as when it's longer though. Also in the army learned to take a bitch bath, just using a warm damp wash cloth or wet wipes goes a long way to feeling human too.

Old 12-27-2019, 01:54 PM
BASS

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,321 Posts

I have all the items I need to make a hot shower complete with hand held shower and hose. It is about 15 gallons with a spigot that has a an on and off handle. This pot can be filled and then heated on an open fire. The on/off spigot pipe would be extended to keep the hand held hose feet away from the fire. The area for showering is below where the fire and pot will be. Gravity takes care of providing water power. The pot will have a thermometer to watch water temps. And there will be a cold water supply also. Trust me I know it works.

My lack of computer skills keeps me from posting this and many other things on this site. My construction back ground gives me knowledge in many areas but not camera and computer skills. LOL

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BASS For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 02:29 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 25,746 Times in 5,114 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

First of all do what many have already posted in this thread.

But it also seems to me that many make things too complicated and people worry about the wrong things - such as how to get a hot shower or wash up etc. etc.

Just more examples of what I have done during forty plus years of camping all over the Rocky Mtns and mainly on my mtn retreat for 23 summers.

This past summer from early July to Nov. 29th was the first time on my land that I did not sleep in a tent but I had a small camper trailer. It has a real small toilet and shower but no hookup and I did not want to spend / waste time filling the camper's water tanks by hand using a hose and buckets.

So I did what I have done for many years and that is use what I have available. Such as an outhouse which is just a piece of plywood over a hole in the ground. In the freezing real snowy time from Oct. to late Nov. I used a large plastic bucket lined with a 13 gallon trash bag then froze it to burn later.

I also did not spend / waste much time showering. I only showered actually washed up using a bucket, when I went to town and once I had a lunch with neighbors. So I cleaned up real well no more than 4 times last summer to late Nov.

No shower or much washing up most of Oct until Nov.29th since it was just too cold, the water was all froze and I had just enough time and energy to melt snow etc.

I have two solar showers I bought at Walmart but I just used a five gallon bucket of water with a wash cloth and bar of soap and bottle of shampoo. Faster just using a bucket.

I remember my mom and dad who grew up in the 1930's and 40's said they had to use an outhouse and only took a bath once a week on Saturdays. It was 1950 before my mom said they got electricity and a bathroom on their farm.

People seem to be too sissy for the most part today and maybe most need a good disaster / SHTF to make them tougher and appreciate what they take for granted...
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 02:42 PM
ǝnƃoɹ ǝuoƃ

Thanked 28,465 Times in 8,382 Posts
Default CAW!

I'm with the OP, gotta have a hot shower daily. Twice if I get grungy threw the day. I don't live in a 3rd world **** hole.

Post Katrina I snaked garden hoses over my roof and temp plumbed a hose bib and shower head, vola a modest shower.
The initial burst would be just below boiling, best be quick though, when the pump kicks in it gets kool' quick!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to n1d For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 02:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 29,774 Times in 11,048 Posts

100 foot garden hose coiled or stretched out in the sun, 12VDC RV water pump with battery, water source. Worked just fine in the High Sierra back when we used to tent camp when wheeling.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 04:35 PM

I shower outside year around. I fill a 5 gallon bucket and leave it outside to warm up in the Spring and Fall. In the Summer I use the coldest water I can. In the Winter I warm up the water on the wood stove. I strip down and put on shower shoes and go outside by something that needs watered. Dip out water with a can and pour over my head. Soap up and scrub. When finished the leftover water in the bucket is poured over my head. Drip dry while walking back to towel dry and get dressed. In winter I run back to dry by the woodstove. Winter showering this way is exhilarating.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Grizzly Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 04:57 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 31,048 Times in 10,707 Posts

I melted snow and ice on the wood stove using 3 big pots (about 15 gallons total) when it was 20 below. Filled the 5 gallon shower bag and stepped out on the back deck to shower. The wolf dogs thought it was funny.

You need to wet yourself down, turn off the water, soap yourself up with something like Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap and then rinse yourself off. 2 trained people can get clean with 5 gallons of hot water most of the time, if you are really scuzzy then you might need the whole 5 gallons.

I have hooks in the ceiling above my tub and the kitchen sink. I use a single pulley to hoist up the bag and hook the paracord to a screw to hold it in place. Very handy for cleaning me, clothes and dishes.

Yes you can use an RV type pump and a big metal container with a fire to heat water for a much longer shower. Or have several shower bags.

Hauling water can be an issue, I don't waste any. Learned that with 7 years off grid here. Re-enforced when the well pump went out at the first of the year - 4 feet of ice over the well head - had to wait until late spring to get to the pump. It was and adventure I post here somewhere in the DIY forum.

Several of my many BOL locations have geo-thermal water. I plan to use tubing to route the hot water to heat my tent.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 07:12 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,635 Times in 1,065 Posts

I have the hang type showers. Fill with 5 gallons hot water and go nuts.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PatrioticAmerican For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 07:18 PM
ǝnƃoɹ ǝuoƃ

Thanked 28,465 Times in 8,382 Posts
Default KAW!

Can't like this post........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Guy View Post
I shower outside year around. I fill a 5 gallon bucket and leave it outside to warm up in the Spring and Fall. In the Summer I use the coldest water I can. In the Winter I warm up the water on the wood stove. I strip down and put on shower shoes and go outside by something that needs watered. Dip out water with a can and pour over my head. Soap up and scrub. When finished the leftover water in the bucket is poured over my head. Drip dry while walking back to towel dry and get dressed. In winter I run back to dry by the woodstove. Winter showering this way is exhilarating.
The Following User Says Thank You to n1d For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 07:21 PM
I love this Forum.

Thanked 13,553 Times in 3,852 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Guy View Post
`

If I tried that when it was -40 it's not what you call exhilarating, it's called hypothermia.

Old 12-27-2019, 07:45 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 11,200 Times in 4,325 Posts

Canteen cup of warm water to wash the jewels. Another to wash the pits
Shave your head
Take a swim
A shower is not needed everyday
My house in the RD.....has no hot water heater....
The Following User Says Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 07:58 PM

n1d and chuckleberry. I live in Oklahoma not the Yukon. I would do something different up North. My apologies for scaring you with bad mental images.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grizzly Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 09:00 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 12,603 Times in 3,072 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardinColorado View Post
I don't know about the rest of you, but a day without a hot shower is just about unthinkable for me. As I attempt to prepare for the worst, I bought a backpacking shower that would need to be filled with warm water, has a foot pump and a hand-held spray nozzle much like a sink sprayer. Its not great, but probably better than nothing.

I know we could depend on sponge baths and no doubt we would, but at least weekly I would really, really want to get thoroughly clean.

As a back up I also bought one of the cheapo black plastic bag thingies that you lay out in the sun to warm the water up that you put in it and then hang it up and stand under it washing as fast as possible.

In the novel "Lights Out", by Dave Crawford the organized community he writes about how they got 55 gallon steel drums, painted them black and built a wooden frame to mount them in for the community. Of course, they were in south Texas so getting the water warm in the summer Texas sun wouldn't be too much of a challenge.

Any ideas???
IF A day without a hot shower is almost unthinkable...
you better hope in post-apoc world you are one of the first to go because it is going to get a lot worse than that.
UPSIDe, if you live in hot tropical type area those rains are almost as good.

You live up where I do, having a reason to live might be a bit tougher.
Think of it like exercising or training and do without for 2 or 3 days and toughen up..

Otherwise if you always need a hot soak regardless, find a BOL where there are hot springs, like Yellowstone or Iceland.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:27 PM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 9,825 Times in 3,619 Posts

If it's not too cold out, stand out in the rain with soap and a washcloth Make sure it's really a rain instead of a brief little sprinkle, or rinsing soap off will be a problem unless you collect some rainwater in a container to rinse in case TRS (the rain stops)

Black solar shower with an added bulldog clip for on-off capability. A coated wire bag clip might be less prone to tear or poke, though. Some solar showers do have an on-off valve

And.... 5-gallon bucket, painted black, add an inside/outside fitting to add a 10-ft water hose for an RV, and a trigger-type nozzle so there is on-off capability.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:56 PM
Stop YOLOing

Thanked 8,484 Times in 2,383 Posts

"We don't train for misery."

I can be hard when I need to be. When I don't need to be, I'll enjoy my long hot showers.

I prep so my family can be comfortable when things get bad, not so I can subsist and call myself "hard," thinking that makes me better than the comfortable people. I don't have a good shower solution at the moment but I have plans for my new house when I retire. It'll be something like a solar water heater (link) plumbed into the house so nothing changes very much when the power's out.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post: