Security gate for driveway - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Federal court halts TrumpĚs immigration ban Unbelievable Political News and Discussion 1153 11-12-2017 05:57 AM
Scavenger loadout GwinnettGA$urvivor Urban Survival 47 09-14-2017 10:37 PM
Security safes sixtus Urban Survival 19 06-19-2017 05:09 AM

Old 11-26-2017, 09:30 PM
Lone Wolf

Default Security gate for driveway

Advertise Here

Hey everyone;

So I've got a bit of a problem. Lately I've been getting random people showing up at my house totally unannounced. Some are people I know that are trying to be friendly and others are the typical salesmen, Jehovah's witnesses, ATV touring groups, lost tourists, etc. Basically I'm fed up with it and need to look into a proper way to stop that from happening. It presents major safety concerns because I have several shooting ranges that I use, and people just driving up while I'm out shooting isn't good. I live in an extremely rural area and have a long driveway (around 1/2 mile) that winds up through the woods to the top of a mountain. I already have a sturdy gate installed that does the job quite well. The problem is that I mainly secure the gate when I'm gone. I usually don't have it locked when I'm at home simply because I'm in and out working around my property on various projects. I'm fine with just shutting my gate whenever I'm at home, but I foresee problems with mail and package delivery via UPS etc. Not to mention the propane company that comes to refill my tank. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? Do you think it would work if I got a steel box or something for packages to be left in?

P.S. I do have large No Trespassing signs at my current gate.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodsman 16 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2017, 09:38 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,802 Times in 630 Posts

A neighbor does the steel box thing. They seem to have no issues with it.

You get a cheap security system with infrared beam that sets off an alarm of some sort when the beam is broken. Other than that you could motorize the gate and people have to be buzzed in. Really easy with todays smartphones. The next thing is to put up very large NO Trespassing signs at the entrance, and on the property lines. Especially since you are at times shooting. If they catch a round too bad for them.

There is always the option to put a second gate in closer to the home and keep that locked.

I am pondering these same things because I am thinking about buying some property myself in southwest Virginia
The Following User Says Thank You to Tusken Raider For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2017, 09:46 PM
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusken Raider View Post
A neighbor does the steel box thing. They seem to have no issues with it.

You get a cheap security system with infrared beam that sets off an alarm of some sort when the beam is broken. Other than that you could motorize the gate and people have to be buzzed in. Really easy with todays smartphones. The next thing is to put up very large NO Trespassing signs at the entrance, and on the property lines. Especially since you are at times shooting. If they catch a round too bad for them.

There is always the option to put a second gate in closer to the home and keep that locked.

I am pondering these same things because I am thinking about buying some property myself in southwest Virginia
I knew I forgot to type something. . . I actually do have large black and neon orange NO TRESPASSING metal signs up at the gate. I wonder how you would coordinate the dropping of packages in the box? I also don't have a smartphone so that option wouldn't work. I'm old school.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2017, 10:51 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,802 Times in 630 Posts

Ain't nothing wrong with old school.

You would need to come to an agreement as far as the drop box goes. Probably paperwork stating that UPS, FedEx or USPS can drop without a signature. I am sure rural addresses are able to have this done. Just make sure it is tamper proof and locked up tighter than a virgin on prom night.

As far as signs go, you are covered legally. But accidents could still happen which would really suck. Not going the modern route, I would say put in a second gate.

Your first gate, is it at the road or further into your property? The reason I ask is because a gate right at the road may attract more people than it turns away. Not sure why, but moron's heads seem to be wired differently than yours and mine

I am a layered defense kinda guy. So it would no be beyond me to put up 2 more gates then pop up spike strips. Of course a moat and drawbridge are too much to ask. Then Bettys and claymores, but I can dream right?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tusken Raider For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2017, 10:59 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,992 Times in 939 Posts

No solicitation. Maybe.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:03 PM
Hard Wired

we had the same problem on our family farm, but it was people wanting to hunt on place or the ones that wanted to dump their trash and junk, so we posted NO Trespassing signs but people didn't read them, so we now have gates and we keep them locked at all times, only people that have business there have keys to open the gates, all packages are dropped off at a family members house in town and mail goes to P.O. box. has stopped a lot of problems, sense the first house on the driveway is a little over a mile from the main road.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:30 AM
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusken Raider View Post
Ain't nothing wrong with old school.

You would need to come to an agreement as far as the drop box goes. Probably paperwork stating that UPS, FedEx or USPS can drop without a signature. I am sure rural addresses are able to have this done. Just make sure it is tamper proof and locked up tighter than a virgin on prom night.

As far as signs go, you are covered legally. But accidents could still happen which would really suck. Not going the modern route, I would say put in a second gate.

Your first gate, is it at the road or further into your property? The reason I ask is because a gate right at the road may attract more people than it turns away. Not sure why, but moron's heads seem to be wired differently than yours and mine

I am a layered defense kinda guy. So it would no be beyond me to put up 2 more gates then pop up spike strips. Of course a moat and drawbridge are too much to ask. Then Bettys and claymores, but I can dream right?
The gate's about halfway up the driveway. If I had the money I'd love to build a big beautiful wall around my property. Haha.
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodsman 16 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2017, 08:46 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,278 Times in 692 Posts

I sort of had a similar issue at my house. Im the last house on a dead end road with a circle driveway at the end that you cannt see from the road. Google maps kind of shows the road going down my driveway and making the loop. The street sign down the road confuses people on what street is what.

I would get people driving in at 30mph around my gravel circle. People driving in and driving over my lawn. Driving in lost, walking in lost everything. Once a sherif came looking for someone thatni didnt even know. The next street over, the same number house is sketchy people.

I put a sign with my house number and street on my driveway. That stopped 95* of the people. The others i get a warning are coming from my $9 harbor freight driveway alarm. They only work to 400ft not 1/2mi like your driveway.

Have you thought about a simple chain to "train" people?
The Following User Says Thank You to Brettny For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2017, 09:09 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 35,876 Times in 10,013 Posts

I installed a metal gate and a big wooden sign where my driveway splits off the county road.
I also purchased a large plastic tool box, and placed it at the gate for UPS/Fedex packages.
I keep the gate closed, but not chained all the time, and that seems enough to keep out random people.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2017, 10:53 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

Leave the No Trespassing sign and install a camera so you can record who comes and goes on the property. At the very least, get a trail cam and take pictures. If you have continued trespassing, contact the Sheriff and provide the images for his report. The Sheriff being an elected official, will pay them a visit and preach to them about trespassing laws. Don't take matters into your own hands unless necessary. Let the law do it so they can keep a record.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:39 AM
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
I installed a metal gate and a big wooden sign where my driveway splits off the county road.
I also purchased a large plastic tool box at the gate for UPS/Fedex packages.
I keep the gate closed, but not chained all the time, and that seems enough to keep out random people.
I would probably need a sturdy steel box because a lot of the white trash around here likes to steal mail for some reason. It's happened before. I'm thinking about getting a steel parcel box and bolting it down in concrete (or something along those lines). Problem is, how would I get the key/combination to the people that would need it (ups, postal service, etc)?
Old 11-27-2017, 11:47 AM
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
Leave the No Trespassing sign and install a camera so you can record who comes and goes on the property. At the very least, get a trail cam and take pictures. If you have continued trespassing, contact the Sheriff and provide the images for his report. The Sheriff being an elected official, will pay them a visit and preach to them about trespassing laws. Don't take matters into your own hands unless necessary. Let the law do it so they can keep a record.
I've already got trail cams in place. It's not just random tourists or lost people. Sometimes people I know or that some of my family knows, just take it upon themselves to show up unannounced which annoys the hell out of me. I've asked them to please call ahead next time, but it doesn't seem to do any good. If I just had the gate shut, they would probably open it anyway and come up. When I come home from a long hard day at work, the last thing I want is to hear someone coming up the road to my house. Especially if I'm not expecting anyone.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:55 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 35,876 Times in 10,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsman 16 View Post
I would probably need a sturdy steel box because a lot of the white trash around here likes to steal mail for some reason. It's happened before. I'm thinking about getting a steel parcel box and bolting it down in concrete (or something along those lines). Problem is, how would I get the key/combination to the people that would need it (ups, postal service, etc)?
I also have a large pack of dogs free to roam on my place, ranging from 25 lb mountain fiest squirrel dogs, to 135 lb Anatolian livestock guardian dogs. Strangely, the white trash does not trespass, or steal my stuff anymore.

I used a similar technique for UPS deliveries for the 30 yrs I lived in the California desert. The plastic tool box is outside the fence, the dogs remain inside, but it seems to work well.

Big dogs scare white trash.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2017, 12:06 PM
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
I also have a large pack of dogs free to roam on my place, ranging from 25 lb mountain fiest squirrel dogs, to 135 lb Anatolian livestock guardian dogs. Strangely, the white trash does not trespass, or steal my stuff anymore.

I used a similar technique for UPS deliveries for the 30 yrs I lived in the California desert. The plastic tool box is outside the fence, the dogs remain inside, but it seems to work well.

Big dogs scare white trash.
Haha. Nice. The only problem is I don't have a "fence" that would keep dogs in. I own a little over 40 acres of land and just have 4 strands of barbed wire going around the border of my property. Honestly, I can't see myself redoing my entire fence line, just to keep dogs in.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:23 PM
Wrong Side of Heaven

Thanked 6,153 Times in 2,264 Posts

We had a drive way like that, people would drive too fast and think they had business there.....

So I cemented in pipe vertically about three feet off each end of the road about 4 foot above ground. I then attached a heavy chain loosely between them and to that with lag screws attached segments of 4x4s. You could drive over it but you knew when you did and even then better go slow. It also stopped the lookie looes. When I wanted extra security I would pull the slack out of one end and lock it, this would put the chained 4x4s about a foot and a half off the ground across the center of the road.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ImStillHere For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2017, 01:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 64,518 Times in 20,544 Posts

Basic green farm gate just shy of 1/2 mile from my house.

Braden cable stretching to each side.

Hidden key in a combo lockbox.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2017, 01:53 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 25,182 Times in 7,421 Posts

Not pertaining to the OP post. Although our isolated relatively defensible/sustainable 18.86 acre BOL property is legally POSTED on all sides, we have a 1/4 mile long driveway, with 3 high security gates on it. Which we lock/unlock every trip in/out.

OPSEC

We don't have a BOL address (other than the properties legal description & assessors tax parcel number).

No mail box, no drop box, no deliveries.

Simply because we don't want to advertise - we are there.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:59 PM
On what date did kev sell

Thanked 15,538 Times in 4,614 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Basic green farm gate just shy of 1/2 mile from my house.

Braden cable stretching to each side.

Hidden key in a combo lockbox.
I see you one green gate and raise ya a MOAT

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150619_171558 copy.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	239594
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Walter Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2017, 02:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 64,518 Times in 20,544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Tyler View Post
I see you one green gate and raise ya a MOAT

Attachment 239594
I've got a bridge I can drop and the materials to do so a couple miles from me should I choose to.

(I'm in a place people who live out in the country pull up, get out their truck and say: "And I thought I lived in the middle of nowhere!")
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2017, 02:43 PM
gard'ner

Thanked 1,035 Times in 525 Posts

What packages do you get?

Any chance that the neighbor might allow delivery there?

At my house...
I "told" the post office not to drop off packages.

I had a chain up, and thieves driving atvs went under the chain.
I added a locked gate.
had to completely fence the entire property to make the incursions stop, as bandits on atvs still drove over from God knows where... sux to have to unlock the gate to let the trespassers out.