I have to say this site is fascinating. - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fascinating Article on World Starvation zorost Manmade and Natural Disasters 23 07-11-2014 11:47 AM
New to the site Phoenix950 New Member Introduction 6 09-01-2013 08:02 PM
Fascinating world. MattB4 General Discussion 5 06-21-2013 02:24 AM
New to the site blazer54 New Member Introduction 16 05-25-2012 11:16 AM
fascinating feminine plumbing issue Absolutely! Ladies Section 23 11-27-2011 08:11 PM
This is fascinating. sargon Religious Discussion 4 10-31-2011 05:31 PM
Fascinating Story about gun rights and 10th Amendment Mic Political News and Discussion 12 07-15-2011 01:41 PM
A fascinating shovel Big Horn Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 6 06-18-2010 01:49 AM
A Fascinating Insight Into The Liberal Mind Pixelguy General Discussion 1 05-19-2009 12:57 PM

Old 12-04-2013, 01:13 AM

Cool I have to say this site is fascinating.

Advertise Here

I have spent many nights reading this site with great amusement. I don't share many of your views on many subjects but always enjoy seeing what interesting posts/ideas are next. I thought after lurking I should say hello even though I may not receive the warmest welcome.
Thanks for the enjoyment so far! Hope there's more to come!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Amused2013 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2013, 01:17 AM
Bad Moon Rising

Thanked 25,774 Times in 6,594 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

We may be wrong, but we're never in doubt!

The best is yet to come...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Grotius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2013, 01:23 AM
Cats care too - Prepare!

Hello and Welcome from Grayling, Michigan! There is a ton of information available on this site, so happy reading and learning- and who knows, you might just change your mind. Enjoy.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:26 AM
Job 31:6

Location: The Upper Peninsula of Michigan is where my heart will always be.
Thanked 2,190 Times in 540 Posts

You don't have to agree with everything.....that is the American way. And, you have the right to be wrong all you want! (Kidding)

Not sure why you wouldn't feel like you agreed with most of us here..... Don't you feel it's important to take care of yourself and your family in case of emergency? Don't you feel that if the power goes out you should have a way to stay warm, prepare food, obtain water? Don't you think that if a tornado/hurricane or other natural disaster hits you should have basic preparedness items to help take care of yourself?

That is what most of this is about. Don't get lost in the details. You may not agree that civil unrest is a likely event if the power grid fails. (That's ok) You may not agree that mankind can be a downright savage and kill others to take what they have......that's ok also. If you don't think that way.....don't prepare for it. I've seen it....and so have a lot of others. I'm not surprised by what the unprepared do when disaster strikes.

Welcome to the forum.....learn and take away what you want....and always feel free to give your opinion also. That's what makes our country wonderful.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Northern-Lights For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2013, 01:36 AM

Thanks, although i do think being prepared for natural disasters and such short term is wise, I do believe that the government and the powers at be don't have anything to gain by promoting civil unrest or some other nefarious plot/plan. I do believe in our governments power and ability to take care of us in case of emergency, sans short term bottled water/canned food for a few days. I know people can be vicious and cold, but I am optimistic and have faith in people as a whole as well as god(yes Christian here).
The Following User Says Thank You to Amused2013 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2013, 01:47 AM
Job 31:6

Location: The Upper Peninsula of Michigan is where my heart will always be.
Thanked 2,190 Times in 540 Posts

Well, I wish you well. I, on the other hand.....don't share your optimism much on humanity. I spent 13 years on active duty and now I serve as a DoD civilian in Afghanistan. I was deployed down south after Hurricane Katrina and out East after Sandy. I've seen what people will do.....(steal, murder) for such simple things as a TV or a generator. If they are hungry.....it's a no brainer.

Our government is powerless to provide for the masses. All you have to do is look at Katrina to figure that out. They knew it was coming and still couldn't do much more than deliver to certain points........well after the event. If the disaster (such as a grid down event) is larger......God help the millions who are not prepared.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Northern-Lights For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2013, 01:48 AM
American fearmaker

Thanked 27,435 Times in 8,821 Posts

Amused, ancient Christians also felt optimistic about their governments too. The really ancient ones often ended up in arenas with the lions for the entertainment of their Roman governors. So far, none of us here have heard anything about the powers in Washington wanting to have bread, circuses and arenas with lions in them but, given time, they might just come up with that idea on their own. Just stay tuned here and somebody will let you know if it happens. Of course, you may have to don a tinfoil hat to go read the report behind that story but it's fun here no matter what.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2013, 01:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 63,667 Times in 20,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amused2013 View Post
Thanks, although i do think being prepared for natural disasters and such short term is wise, I do believe that the government and the powers at be don't have anything to gain by promoting civil unrest or some other nefarious plot/plan. I do believe in our governments power and ability to take care of us in case of emergency, sans short term bottled water/canned food for a few days. I know people can be vicious and cold, but I am optimistic and have faith in people as a whole as well as god(yes Christian here).
something I say to people concerning drug companies is:
"it's not that they want to kill or harm you... It's that they want to maximize their profit, and do not care what happens to you in the mean time...."

Similar with government.

Although, if you go back 50 years and see some of the plans that were made..?

Oh, and I have a Degree in Emergency Management and have worked with FEMA.
don't count on the government.
Just... Don't.

Otherwise, welcome. Why would you expect anything less?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2013, 01:57 AM

War is a terrible thing especially unneeded or wanted conflict (opinion of course) and thank you for serving. I think no matter what you think of the war you must support the troops. But I think if given the choice most people would try to solve things peacefully before expending the extra effort to do otherwise. There are of course exceptions as in all things. I always enjoy a respectful and open conversation, always better than it devolving into a mindless argument.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:02 AM

Yes, I understand that history will be repeated if we don't learn from it. But with technology, greater understanding and our world becoming smaller and smaller we have more chance than ever to bridge the gaps between different cultures, ideas, ect. And less chance of the opposite happening. But thats just my boundless optimism and positive outlook talking.
Of course when the government starts having a feed the (blank) to the lions or hunger games style stuff going on, I will be the first to say no more.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:30 AM
Survivor

Quote:
War is a terrible thing especially unneeded or wanted conflict (opinion of course) and thank you for serving. I think no matter what you think of the war you must support the troops. But I think if given the choice most people would try to solve things peacefully before expending the extra effort to do otherwise. There are of course exceptions as in all things. I always enjoy a respectful and open conversation, always better than it devolving into a mindless argument.
I have a different, hard learned prespective.

It takes 2 to make peace , but only 1 to make war.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2013, 02:32 AM
Dumpster Diver

Thanked 4,201 Times in 1,570 Posts

I love things just the way they are, here anyway, some parts of the word make me want to cry for the people. I am doing all I can do to help keep things the way they are, but I always believed in hoping for the best while being prepared for the worst. I learned a big lesson when I entered the Banking business abotu 25-30 years ago, I worked for 2 large regional institutions over the course of 10 years,, and what I learned was that those big impressive buildings with the official looking facades. and expensively appointed offices held some very well dressed people who made some incredibly bad judgements,, they were after all, not godlike and omniscient as they liked to project, and I had always believed.. I have some drive and common sense, and rose rapidly in that business, but got out of it due to the stress of dealing in it,, ..by then I had learned that you cannot trust or rely on something because it is large and impressive.. and I see the government that way,, Robert Ringer said something to the effect that the well intentioned fool meaning to help you can cause you more harm than the person blatantly out to do you harm, because at least in the latter case , you are on your guard..
I think most in government mean well, I think it is a very difficult job to do well, and many are not capable,, I refer you to "(Dr.) Peter's Principle" I think something could easily go very wrong, by intention, or misjudgement by humans..I think the likelyhood of things going wrong in varying degrees by natural forces is not only likely , but certain from time to time. therefore I "prep".
Welcome here Amused2013, do not be discouraged by the gloomier aspects of our various posts, nor the apparent callousness of some of our attitudes and preparations, but please, neither regard them as silly and unfounded, borne of unreasoned paranoia.. some may be prove excessive, some may not be adequate ..regardless of the method, attitude, interpretations and projections of the 1000's of posters here, underlying it all is just the good old, historically proven common sense, of our mutual ancestors, the people who preceded us in time who said simple folksy things like "Save for a rainy day" , ageless wisdom from people who were less shielded by ephemeral technology and the wealth of a new continents resources...from the vagaries of weather, politics, the evil that some men do..., more in touch with the realities and vicissitudes of life..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to McGuyversurvivor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2013, 02:41 AM

I can see and understand your perceptive but believe otherwise, I still respect your opinion. I think that most people have a self preservation mentality and would not risk war(conflict) when peace(non-conflict) would be less risky. Of course there are exceptions.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:49 AM

Great post! I wholeheartedly agree on saving for a rainy day, the posts that put me off are the "gov is putting up fems camps for us too make luxury products for the chinese" type stuff(no offense to those who believe that its just that I don't/can't believe that)
Old 12-04-2013, 03:18 AM
An Awesome Dude

Thanked 3,714 Times in 1,897 Posts

Welcome to our home
The Following User Says Thank You to Dude111 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2013, 03:20 AM
Survivor

Quote:
I can see and understand your perceptive but believe otherwise, I still respect your opinion. I think that most people have a self preservation mentality and would not risk war(conflict) when peace(non-conflict) would be less risky. Of course there are exceptions.
Go check how many years in recorded history have not had a war...
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2013, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Go check how many years in recorded history have not had a war...
I appreciate the past but try to look towards the future and I see a bright future, I think with more multiculturalism, diversity and understanding fueled by technology we will be able to understand each other better and avoid future conflicts more and more often.
Its a bit late I'm headed to bed have a great night all.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:40 AM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 32,147 Times in 9,254 Posts

Howdy Amused, welcome to the boards from southern Oklahoma.

I choose to believe that we can never let our guard down, try to see the glass as half full but never turn your back. Always prepare so you can have it and not need it rather than have something happen and need whatever and not have it.

That way no matter what happens we'll all be hunkey dorey.
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2013, 03:41 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 45,707 Times in 10,991 Posts

Quote:
I appreciate the past but try to look towards the future and I see a bright future, I think with more multiculturalism, diversity and understanding fueled by technology we will be able to understand each other better and avoid future conflicts more and more often.
Its a bit late I'm headed to bed have a great night all.
That's nice. All fluffy and feel good, like snuggling with a kitty. Who doesn't love a kitten? But the real world is a bit different at the moment and always has been. Maybe the future will be better, that seems to be what you're hoping. I hope so too. But I prepare in case it's not. It's the least I can do for my children.

And welcome to the board.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:49 AM
it is what it is

Thanked 4,077 Times in 1,712 Posts

wish i could be that naive again.it is quite blissful.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 9mmParabellum For This Useful Post: