Other 53 52.48%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2020, 08:07 AM
More than .0001%

Thanked 2,153 Times in 745 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
Any suggestions as to how coarse or fine the coffee grind should be? I've been grinding to about the same consistency as you would find in a container of Folgers.
The grind and quantity level were pretty much trial and error for us. We started with the recommended values and varied the grind first then quantity by small amounts to see if it was better or worse. It took a while until we settled on what we both liked. On our Breville grinder the course/fine setting is on the 10th hash mark from the left and the less/more setting is on zero.

If we change coffee brands or type, we start with our current settings and repeat the above.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lb0190 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 08:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,214 Times in 1,667 Posts

One coffee I will never try is cat poo coffee. I can't even imagine how the first (or for that matter the last) person came to try it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 08:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,885 Times in 1,724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
One coffee I will never try is cat poo coffee. I can't even imagine how the first (or for that matter the last) person came to try it.
Hehe, perfectly understandable.
I have had it. It is very unique and actually pretty enjoyable.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ~Black.Dog~ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 10:26 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,684 Times in 719 Posts

I just tried Café Bustelo and found it to have a very good flavor when I made it in my French press coffee cup. I used about two tablespoons of coffee. Out of the can it is a very dark espresso grind.
I got my travel cup online, a Wyndham house french press 21oz. thermal travel cup, about $18.++ with shipping, it does a good job.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stinky For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 12:56 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
I just tried Café Bustelo and found it to have a very good flavor when I made it in my French press coffee cup. I used about two tablespoons of coffee. Out of the can it is a very dark espresso grind.
I got my travel cup online, a Wyndham house french press 21oz. thermal travel cup, about $18.++ with shipping, it does a good job.
That's a neat cup, does it all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 05:05 PM
Deplorable On Steroids

Thanked 56,387 Times in 19,402 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:

I'll have to look into one of those. It sounds like something that could be used around the campfire.
The Following User Says Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 05:21 PM
Deplorable On Steroids

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:

I just looked for this on Amazon but didn't see it listed. There are some other brands there though. Where did you get yours?

Edit: Never mind. I just found it on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Wyndham-House...97971963&psc=1
Old 01-17-2020, 10:39 PM
Hunter

Yep, that's the one.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:10 PM
Limited Access Member

Thanked 12,742 Times in 3,650 Posts

`

For those of you who are Blackout Coffee fans, there is a 25% OFF code: GNG25 being offered thanks to Guns & Gadgets YT channel.

Old 01-18-2020, 01:37 PM
Deplorable On Steroids

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckleberry View Post
`

For those of you who are Blackout Coffee fans, there is a 25% OFF code: GNG25 being offered thanks to Guns & Gadgets YT channel.

Awesome! Will check 'em out. I've seen this guys channel before and he's certainly on our side. I have no problem supporting him.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:24 PM
On the way to the gallows

Thanked 12,800 Times in 3,471 Posts

I'll be the only old school coffee drinker and go with Starbucks. Nothing better than a Venti Latte and a couple vanilla bean scones (really miss my maple oatmeal scones, tho) to start my day. People whine about the burnt beans but if that's what it takes to extract that flavor I love then so be it. I went the Maria's route at one time roasting my own beans and trying dozens of blends but never came up with anything as flavorful as a Starbucks. Coffee snobs have at it, but leave me alone with my latte.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alpha-Zombie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 12:02 AM

Default Huge pour-over fan prefers PHILZ coffee.

I'm the kind of guy who likes one strong cup of coffee a day. One that's so strong, it takes an hour or two to finish and tastes just as good cool as it does hot.

That's why I'm a longtime fan of Philz coffee out of San Francisco.

For a pre-manufactured/bottled cold brew or ice coffee, Califa Farms out of Central California provides a big punch.

Both of these brands are high in quality without much crash.

And before Virgin America sold to Alaska Airlines, they were offering Philz on-board. Philz has branched out with almost 60 locations across the US.
The Following User Says Thank You to GrandSlamHitAndRun For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 01:03 AM
Hunter

Lol, Starbucks old school, no way. Good coffee was around a long time b4 Starbucks. If you like it, great but no way is it old school.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stinky For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 08:15 AM
Deplorable On Steroids

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

How about coffee storage? I have a large, clear glass container with a sealable top that's kept by my grinder and coffee machine. But I also have a 5lb bag that I keep in the refrigerator. Are there any "dos and don't" pertaining to coffee storage? Will sunlight hurt it? Should the whole bean, glass container be cleaned to avoid mold? Will light vs. dark change the flavor or consistency of coffee beans?
Old 01-21-2020, 09:16 PM
More than .0001%

Thanked 2,153 Times in 745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
How about coffee storage? I have a large, clear glass container with a sealable top that's kept by my grinder and coffee machine. But I also have a 5lb bag that I keep in the refrigerator. Are there any "dos and don't" pertaining to coffee storage? Will sunlight hurt it? Should the whole bean, glass container be cleaned to avoid mold? Will light vs. dark change the flavor or consistency of coffee beans?
We use a stainless steel coffee canister for storing beans. My biggest issue it the size being a bit small.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The Following User Says Thank You to lb0190 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 10:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,885 Times in 1,724 Posts

From my experience, coffee should be kept in an airtight container at room temperature. Most in the business suggest a light blocking container. Personally, I don't think ambient light in a room is going to have much effect for the short time you will have your fresh roasted coffee (). But I would not keep them on a windowsill in direct sunlight.
A lot of people get the idea of storing beans in the refrigerator but it's not really gaining you anything. If you decide to keep them there anyway, I definitely recommend a very good airtight container. Roasted coffee is very porous and absorbent and can pick up other flavors floating around in there. Like that fish or tacos you put in there last week. Or worse yet...fish tacos!
The freezer can be beneficial in certain cases. Again, always use a good airtight container. Not really a great idea for your every day coffee because believe it or not, each time you take it out the coffee will warm enough that it will condensate just a little. Doing this repeatedly, like every day, will have a deleterious effect on the flavor. Putting any coffee in the freezer is going to change the flavor a bit. The good news is that as long as it stays in there that little bit of change is all that will happen. So, if you have a lot of coffee and you know it's going to take you a while to get through it, go ahead and put it in the freezer in a good container. Take out what you will need for a few to several days, once a week or whatever and put the rest back in the freezer quickly.
Another idea is to vac seal your bulk roasted coffee in portions you will use in a week. Take out your weekly bag and dump it in your daily canister on your counter. I did an experiment with some Natural Process Colombian coffee about a year ago. Then promptly forgot that I did it. Recently, we woke up one morning to discover that we had no fresh roasted coffee to drink. This was embarrassing because, like a mechanics car should not break down, a coffee roaster should never not have fresh coffee at home with which to start his day. I remembered the Colombian and dug it out of the chest freezer. We were very pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Not as good as when it was fresh but still very good. I would not have been embarrassed to serve it to a guest.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~Black.Dog~ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2020, 09:20 AM
Deplorable On Steroids

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Black.Dog~ View Post
From my experience, coffee should be kept in an airtight container at room temperature. Most in the business suggest a light blocking container. Personally, I don't think ambient light in a room is going to have much effect for the short time you will have your fresh roasted coffee (). But I would not keep them on a windowsill in direct sunlight.
A lot of people get the idea of storing beans in the refrigerator but it's not really gaining you anything. If you decide to keep them there anyway, I definitely recommend a very good airtight container. Roasted coffee is very porous and absorbent and can pick up other flavors floating around in there. Like that fish or tacos you put in there last week. Or worse yet...fish tacos!
The freezer can be beneficial in certain cases. Again, always use a good airtight container. Not really a great idea for your every day coffee because believe it or not, each time you take it out the coffee will warm enough that it will condensate just a little. Doing this repeatedly, like every day, will have a deleterious effect on the flavor. Putting any coffee in the freezer is going to change the flavor a bit. The good news is that as long as it stays in there that little bit of change is all that will happen. So, if you have a lot of coffee and you know it's going to take you a while to get through it, go ahead and put it in the freezer in a good container. Take out what you will need for a few to several days, once a week or whatever and put the rest back in the freezer quickly.
Another idea is to vac seal your bulk roasted coffee in portions you will use in a week. Take out your weekly bag and dump it in your daily canister on your counter. I did an experiment with some Natural Process Colombian coffee about a year ago. Then promptly forgot that I did it. Recently, we woke up one morning to discover that we had no fresh roasted coffee to drink. This was embarrassing because, like a mechanics car should not break down, a coffee roaster should never not have fresh coffee at home with which to start his day. I remembered the Colombian and dug it out of the chest freezer. We were very pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Not as good as when it was fresh but still very good. I would not have been embarrassed to serve it to a guest.

Awesome advice. Thanks!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2020, 01:22 PM
Survivor

I debate in my mind whether the convenience of a Folger's canister and a larger scoop or the time required to use a smaller scoop digging coffee out of a bag is best for retaining freshness of the grind. So far I have resisted dumping from a bag to a canister as I seal and expel air from the bag then fold the top down and place a rubber band around it. I bought a friend the smallest canister of Folger's Colombian with the suggestion that he keep the canister and transfer to it for daily use.

If one kept larger packages in the fridge or freezer one should let it warm to room temp before transferring to a daily use canister, or maybe on a cold winter day just step outside to make the transfer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 12:12 AM
Deplorable On Steroids

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Here's my current set up (https://www.survivalistboards.com/al...albumid=7304):

Sealed, glass container with beans and bamboo scoop:

Coffee beans, grinder, Technivorm Moccamaster:

On the left = Crown Berkey water filter:

Just my Technivorm Moccamaster:

The beans are kept behind the grinder but with the window shades darkened:

Last edited by ActionJackson; 01-24-2020 at 11:11 PM..
Old 01-24-2020, 06:35 PM
Deplorable On Steroids

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Can anyone else see the "pics" above? I could see them from my home computer but I can't see them from my work computer. Let me know and I'll try to fix them when I get home. I'm using "Brave" (as opposed to Chrome or Firefox) but it's not very user friendly when it comes to posting pics, media, and other outside information. Sorta frustrating. I only use it because it blocks all of those snoops out there.

Update: I think I found the problem and fixed it for good. (I hope).

Last edited by ActionJackson; 01-24-2020 at 10:57 PM..