Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 07-18-2019, 08:27 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 14,990 Times in 4,789 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
*I generally detest battery powered tools. They are too often dead. Recharging takes planning. And batteries get lost. I have a nice drill without a battery... so do I buy a battery and charger or throw the drill away??

Dang, how do you lose a battery? My batteries are always on the tool, or in the charger...usually both and they just get positions swapped as needed.

Not to mention at $150 a pop I'm pretty careful to keep track of them.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2019, 09:48 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,989 Times in 751 Posts

I'm a tool junkie. It comes from a lifetime of being too poor to pay people to work on my stuff and a love of motorcycles.

I have all the standard automotive tools. A bunch of woodworking stuff too. I even have a tire changing/balancing set up for the motorcycle.

The handiest thing I've ever bought though was a gun builder's vise. Instead of having parallel jaws they rotate so that you can clamp objects of almost any shape into them.

Also, get good files and learn the proper way to use/maintain them. They are the poor mans lathe.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flinter For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2019, 10:04 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 58,214 Times in 20,176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinter View Post
The handiest thing I've ever bought though was a gun builder's vise. Instead of having parallel jaws they rotate so that you can clamp objects of almost any shape into them.
Do you have an image of one?

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 08:38 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,355 Times in 850 Posts

Dozens of saws, a dozen brush cutters and trimmers. stumpers, chippers, skidder, skid steer, 100hp tractor, mig and arc welder, lathe, surface grinder, grinders, drills, drill press nailgun, firepump, wood splitters, dozen winches, heap of cordless stuff, heap of air stuff, gas powered drill and cement mixer, post hole borer, 6 foot cabinet stack of mechanical tools, and a heap of hand tools

One of my favorite being these that dont round nuts (easy) and can be attached to bolts or nuts without you needing to keep hold of em, really useful when you dont have a second set of hands.

https://www.hardwareandtools.com/sta...egka-2644.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Timbersawz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 10:38 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,719 Times in 1,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
I have a love/hate thing with cordless. Every few years I get exasperated by the planned obsolescence game and try a new brand. I overcome that constant transition by having a lot of industrial grade corded tools. I love scouring garage and estate sales for old sturdy models I can rehab.
Battery "tech" really has not been ready for "prime time" until recently The new Lithium ion have amazing storage/power density and life. DeWalt Flexvolt being the king of the bunch. Milwaukee M18 is also good.

Flexvolt operating in 20v has over 200 some tools. Operating 60v the Flexvolt is awesome.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:45 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
Battery "tech" really has not been ready for "prime time" until recently The new Lithium ion have amazing storage/power density and life. DeWalt Flexvolt being the king of the bunch. Milwaukee M18 is also good.

Flexvolt operating in 20v has over 200 some tools. Operating 60v the Flexvolt is awesome.
And they will up the voltage again and render the 20V systems officially obsolete, not to mention never standardizing battery systems.

Every brand want to be its own high cost battery pack supplier.

In any case, I'll never own DeWalt garbage. I'm not going to pay industrial grade prices for just jobber grade tools.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:53 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 73,170 Times in 21,879 Posts

That's why I am loyal to Ryobi now. they have a standard battery and have kept it standard for 10 yrs now.

Even when they changed to Litium, they kept the same battery voltage and fit dimensions to maintain compatability.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 05:12 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 14,990 Times in 4,789 Posts

Quote:
Operating 60v the Flexvolt is awesome.
Indeed. It's ridiculous. More power than the corded versions.

Of course, so is the price of the batteries. The tools themselves are almost irrelevant, it's the batteries your actually buying.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:33 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Do you have an image of one?
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/w...702d3baa0002ef

That's the one that I have.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flinter For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 11:46 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Ah, a carving vise. Image searches of a "gun X vise" were not at all helpful.

Yes, I do like the shape of that vise. Now I want one.

While I'll thank your post for the help, please also insert a generic insult as well for showing a new toy I now must buy. Showing me a new kind of tool that looks handy is just cruel.

Old 07-20-2019, 12:05 AM
AimSmallMissSmall

Thanked 1,820 Times in 579 Posts

I use the right tool for the job...
Old 07-20-2019, 07:25 PM
More than .0001%

Thanked 2,144 Times in 742 Posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	409C9028-AD91-43E5-9221-91F8413C063E.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	289554

Name:	F2EBD117-90AE-4BD3-8750-F1C4EBA3292E.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	289556

Name:	32DE35E1-6D09-456C-9ACE-E21B6B3AC143.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	289558

Name:	62E4B5C3-83D9-4635-9955-E64FCBB81415.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	289560

Name:	479CF81E-CC19-4A8B-BF19-AA21D437852F.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	289562

I have a lot of the standard hand tools, sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, small ingersol rand compressor, air tools etc.. I love my battery powered Dewalt drill and screwdriver but also have electric drills in various sizes and types. I do a little woodwork as a hobby and have a 12” sliding double compound miter saw, two routers with one (Triton) mounted to a table, 10” table saw, Laguna 16” drum sander, Dewalt planer, Dewalt scroll saw, Laguna 1 micron dust collector and various sanders and drill presses. The last two boxes are @50% complete. I’m do not know why the pictures turned sideways.
The Following User Says Thank You to lb0190 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 07:38 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Ah, a carving vise. Image searches of a "gun X vise" were not at all helpful.

Yes, I do like the shape of that vise. Now I want one.

While I'll thank your post for the help, please also insert a generic insult as well for showing a new toy I now must buy. Showing me a new kind of tool that looks handy is just cruel.
lol I am not responsible for lost paychecks. I've recently discovered a store called Woodcraft. I've spent a small fortune on wood chisels.

Sorry for the confusion over the name. In the muzzleloader building world I've always heard it referred to as a "gun building vise".
The Following User Says Thank You to Flinter For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 07:57 PM
More than .0001%

Quote:
lol I am not responsible for lost paychecks. I've recently discovered a store called Woodcraft. I've spent a small fortune on wood chisels.

Sorry for the confusion over the name. In the muzzleloader building world I've always heard it referred to as a "gun building vise".
Rockler is another woodworking store that may interest you. Prices are pretty much full retail unless you find what you need on sale. Sign up for email flyers at Rockler and Woodcraft to catch the sales. I was told woodcraft has a big equipment sale in March each year with factory reps on site.
https://www.rockler.com/?sid=V9105&g...SAAEgIOrfD_BwE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lb0190 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 09:05 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb0190 View Post
Rockler is another woodworking store that may interest you. Prices are pretty much full retail unless you find what you need on sale. Sign up for email flyers at Rockler and Woodcraft to catch the sales. I was told woodcraft has a big equipment sale in March each year with factory reps on site.
https://www.rockler.com/?sid=V9105&g...SAAEgIOrfD_BwE
Good to know! My next "big" purchase will be a wood lathe. Those things aren't cheap.

I also need a band saw.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:01 PM
More than .0001%

Quote:
Good to know! My next "big" purchase will be a wood lathe. Those things aren't cheap.

I also need a band saw.
I also need a bandsaw and have the Rikon 324 or 326 14” in mind. I found the 324 for as low as $750 (retail $899). The 326 retails for @$1000. Both are excellent saws with 13” resaw capability.
https://www.rikontools.com/product/10-324
https://www.rikontools.com/product/10-326
Old 07-21-2019, 12:54 AM
-

Thanked 1,375 Times in 702 Posts

besides the standard mentioned hand and battery powered tools: multimeters, battery testers, outlet testers, alligator clips, de/soldering kit, wiring, many sharpening kits, nutdrivers, xantrex inverter/charger/battery/ups unit, all kinds of connectors, cords, etc.

my antique tool wishlist is a spokeshave though and in general I'd like to have older manual tools, especially the more unique or lesser known ones, gouges/scorps/hand drills, or even a small basic blacksmithing setup. a flexcut carvin' jack multitool would also be nice and pretty much anything Diefenbacher makes.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:40 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilgar View Post
besides the standard mentioned hand and battery powered tools: multimeters, battery testers, outlet testers, alligator clips, de/soldering kit, wiring, many sharpening kits, nutdrivers, xantrex inverter/charger/battery/ups unit, all kinds of connectors, cords, etc.

my antique tool wishlist is a spokeshave though and in general I'd like to have older manual tools, especially the more unique or lesser known ones, gouges/scorps/hand drills, or even a small basic blacksmithing setup. a flexcut carvin' jack multitool would also be nice and pretty much anything Diefenbacher makes.
I don't go buying reproductions of old tools, but I buy the heck out of real ones when I'm at estate and garage sales.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:46 AM
More than .0001%

I forgot to mention another company - Grizzly, that manufactures wood and metal forming tools and machines. At one time they were considered harbor freight quality but have since improved dramatically. FYI I’m not anti HF by any means and occasionally by their products if the tool meets my needs.
Grizzly sales direct to the customer and has to factories with showrooms you can buy from. They also have a tent sale I think twice a year with heavy discounts. Unfortunately they are not near my location.
https://www.grizzly.com/
Tent sales
https://www.grizzly.com/tentsales
Old 07-21-2019, 02:00 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,268 Times in 732 Posts

Quote:

I also need a band saw.
You can save money by buying a metal lathe and welder and making your own. . The most expensive part was the MT3 reamers ( I had the motor and VFD)

I’ve got 2 Rockwell/delta 14” made in US bandsaws with hinged doors, bought both at auction for under $200. Enclosed stand came with a rip fence, which I use the hell out of, open base one I converted to metal cutting with a big assed pulley and gear box, giving me ( I think) 18:1 reduction. Thinking of dropping in a 3 phase motor and VFD to give me a few choices in speeds. Source seems to be school shops replacing their tools or eliminating shop programs. I bought both from a big tool dealer’s annual auctions.
The Following User Says Thank You to country_boy For This Useful Post: