Survivalist Forum banner

Best and most practical non firearm bob weapon

8K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  A-Team 
#1 ·
I was just wondering what other people thought the best and most practical primitive bug out weapon is. All answers are greatly appreciated. by primitive I mean anything but a firearm.

#4 ·
I have (my family as well) a small knife attached to my key chain. It pulls out easily. The blade is 2 1/2 inches. Very rugged, very sharp. If you think about the temples, the base of the shull andspinal cord, the brachial, carotid, femoral arteries, etc. Its very effective. Thats for defense, up close and personal. Know how to use a kinife.

As for hunting or elsewise, a bow.

#11 ·
Depends if you mean ranged or melee weapon.
For a ranged weapon I would recommend a pistol crossbow. As it's light and easy to conceal.
For a melee weapon either a cheap sturdy knife or maybe a heavy-duty shovel. The Cold Steel shovel is pretty good as it chops well and can be used for digging ect.
I tested it against some wood panelling earlier and it made pretty short work of it.

#14 ·
Sling.. assuming you learn to use it effectively, and wont be in very high grass or dense bushland where you cant swing it..

Weighs almost nothing, provides more bone crushing power then even compound crossbows, Ammo is everywhere.
How practical it is depends on how good you get with it.
I suck.. been doing it for a year and cant hit a darn thing so its not practical for me.

#25 ·
Ditto. A sling hands down beats anything else. You can put a rock through the wall of a house.... And inside 20 yards it's like hitting someone standing still with a baseball bat times 10... Plus it has much longer range than a bow. The downside is the learning curve to hit moving targets is steep...and you can't really do strait shots past 30 yards.

After that a knife or matched kale sticks are both simple and devastating with a little training.

The one weapon that is never discussed....in the Philipines there is a sinle stick "slingshot" like weapon that shoots a homemade dart/blade. I've never seen one used but they are the most common tool g
For armed robbery in some places.

#16 ·
the firemans ax. An edged weapon, almost as good as a kinfe. gives you a good swing and can help you get into cover and concealment the prying end is tuff. The best fight is the one you can avoid. as for hunting it can be used to make traps. Traps hunt 24 hrs a day even while you sleep, with little energy. Just practice, then practice again, and do it again. I try to follow my favorite hunters the VC. They hunter the most feared animal in the world....the american soldier.

#17 ·
Personally I have a blowgun and a sling. Now before you start laughing, I know that blowgun's not powerful, but that's what the sling is for. The sling takes big stuff and covers self defence while the blowgun will take enough little stuff to flavour your rice stew. Also they both can be used for other stuff. The blowgun can be used a a walking stick, a fishing rod and a splint while a sling is a length of good cord that can be used as anything from just a plain old rope to a replacement belt (really handy at times).

#20 ·
I would go with an expandble baton. They are light weight and can be kept in your pack or worn on your belt and our easy to conceal under shirt. IMO I would rather have some distance between me and the bad guy, not so much with just a good size knife. I have two. I keep one in my truck bag and one in the wife's car bag. Both of mine our the 26in models with holders.

#21 ·
Expandable baton for the BOB. However, a walking staff is a darn good weapon and helps with walking. Hatchet/axe is a good thing but heavy to carry and can be harder to wield. A camp shovel is a non-expected weapon. If police are around AND you haven't sharpened it, it's not looked at as a prepared weapon.

#22 ·
What's wrong with a baton?? Have you ever used one. They are lightweight, concealable and put a serious hurtin on someone if hit in the right place. If I was going at some hand to hand combat, I would not feel underpowered with one in my hand. My neighbor is a prison guard and he has shown me some nice points of interest on the body to go for.

#23 ·
Definitely slingshot..

I recently picked up a Bill Hayes SS (pocketpredator.com) and am having loads of fun with it. I'm pretty amazed at the accuracy and power of these things, and with 3/8-1/2" lead or steel balls, can easily see hunting birds, squirrels, rabbits and frogs in a 10-20 yard range. Slingshots are blunt force trama killers, not penetrators. It's as accurate as a pistol, IMHO.

Double/triple up the flatbands and you can shoot arrows with it for penetration and larger game, and there's quite a few good YouTube vids on slingbow fishing too. Still going to be relatively short-range, but the practicality/versatility for size and weight is going to be hard to beat.

I got some flatband material (Theraband Gold) coming in... I'm going cut some bands to size, along with some leather pouches, and seal them in my wife's vacuum food sealer (or ziplock) for the BoB (the latex lasts decades if stored out of sunlight and air). Can't imagine it being larger than a deck of cards. Don't even need to bother with a frame.... you can easily make one in half hour out in the field. The bands can also double as a tourniquet, or as a "spring" for an animal snare trap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.