US Civil Unrest Contingency Plan - Sponsor US relatives and Refugees? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 07-15-2020, 07:02 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,486 Times in 992 Posts
Default US Civil Unrest Contingency Plan - Sponsor US relatives and Refugees?

Advertise Here

Hi Everyone,

Watching the civil unrest in the United States continue, especially with all of the talk of something approaching a second civil war, I naturally started thinking about my American relatives (which outnumbers those in Canada).

I am new to this, but if things get dangerous enough, the thought popped up that perhaps individuals and groups up here could sponsor friends and family members as refugees.

Though I am thinking small scale, if there's enough interest this could perhaps be organized on a larger scale with groups of sponsors or sympathetic lawyers involved.

We don't know what the political situation will be within Canada or the US within the next several months (a Liberal vs Conservative government here could effect government enthusiasm or lack thereof for US refugees), but it might be good to do some homework and prepare in advance.

In a best case scenario, some American refugees will be able to bring enough assets to invest in a new home here, etc. and we could possibly set up networks to help them get hired into meaningful employment.

Here's the link to the Government of Canada's refugee sponsorship program:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...p-program.html

Thoughts?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadian Prepster For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2020, 07:29 AM
Trump is Treasonous

Thanked 19,707 Times in 5,189 Posts

Appreciate the offer but I'll be staying here and fighting for my home, I'd rather die fighting than be chased away to another country
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kalashnikov47 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2020, 07:39 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov47 View Post
Appreciate the offer but I'll be staying here and fighting for my home, I'd rather die fighting than be chased away to another country
I appreciate your patriotism and hope the best for you and your country.

There may be some people (i.e. families with young children, etc.) for which fleeing might be the more appropriate action. I was also thinking of people who might be doxxed, cancelled, fired from their jobs or publicly targeted for their beliefs, in which case they might both fit the definition of refugee and deem it best to settle elsewhere, whether permanently or just for a couple of years.

Refugee sponsorship may entail sponsors taking up responsibility for those sponsored, so I might have to think about my own finances in terms of being able to sponsor a relative for a set amount of time.

I might also point out that there's been a history of many diaspora communities supporting their communities from afar, as well as their fight for freedom, so in some cases people can do a lot for their home countries from afar. There's plenty of examples from Eastern Europe or even Zionism.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2020, 07:56 AM
Trump is Treasonous

Thanked 19,707 Times in 5,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Prepster View Post
I appreciate your patriotism and hope the best for you and your country.

There may be some people (i.e. families with young children, etc.) for which fleeing might be the more appropriate action. I was also thinking of people who might be doxxed, cancelled, fired from their jobs or publicly targeted for their beliefs, in which case they might both fit the definition of refugee and deem it best to settle elsewhere, whether permanently or just for a couple of years.

Refugee sponsorship may entail sponsors taking up responsibility for those sponsored, so I might have to think about my own finances in terms of being able to sponsor a relative for a set amount of time.

I might also point out that there's been a history of many diaspora communities supporting their communities from afar, as well as their fight for freedom, so in some cases people can do a lot for their home countries from afar. There's plenty of examples from Eastern Europe or even Zionism.
I don't have a problem with people from other countries that may want to support the "cause" and I understand there are those that may want to leave I'm just not one of them
The Following User Says Thank You to Kalashnikov47 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2020, 08:05 AM
The river flows

Thanked 1,638 Times in 637 Posts

As an example of the importance of diaspora, Chinese citizens outside China were very effective at securing and shipping medical gear to the China homeland back in December 2019 and January 2020, before the cat was out of the box in the covid arena.

They can be quite effective at influencing university policies in the US and Canada via their planted academics.

I have no doubt the Chinese equivalent to a Ministry of Trade (witness the Minister of Trade in 'The Man on the High Castle') is very, very effective at putting China ahead by means of their diaspora network of shop and business owners and suppliers.

For another example, witness the power wielded by Ilhan Omar, who clearly acts on behalf of the Somalian community (and perhaps an embryonic caliphate) at the expense of her host community.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blackriver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2020, 08:18 AM
Hunter

To throw out a more edifying example of people coming together for their country from afar, during World War One a nascent Polish Army was formed in anticipation Poland regaining its independence that was lost for about two centuries.

The Canadian government assisted by providing a training camp in Niagara Falls, Ontario and enrolling Poles (usually immigrants to Canada or the US) into the Canadian Officer Training Corps that was simultaneously training officers for the Canadian Expeditionary Force.

Recruitment of Poles from America was done on the low until the US entered the war in 1917 but picked up steam after that. The recruiting office was at Queen Street and Spadina Avenue in downtown Toronto (currently housing a McDonald's restaurant).

Poland regained its independence after WW1 and many of those recruited and trained in Canada went on to serve in Poland and help repel the Soviet invasion of 1920.
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadian Prepster For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2020, 02:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,960 Times in 2,678 Posts

I thought canadian border was closed to non essential traffic and right now most Canadians want nothing to do with Americans. That might sound harsh but a lot of Americans and people on this site have expressed displeasure at other Americans moving into their area.
I don't get out much now things are pretty quiet and peaceful around here. Some politicking but they stay on opposite sides of the street.
Old 07-15-2020, 04:08 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmas View Post
I thought canadian border was closed to non essential traffic and right now most Canadians want nothing to do with Americans. That might sound harsh but a lot of Americans and people on this site have expressed displeasure at other Americans moving into their area.
I don't get out much now things are pretty quiet and peaceful around here. Some politicking but they stay on opposite sides of the street.
As with everything in 2020, there's always some sort of twist.

The land border is closed, but people are still allowed to travel back and forth. Canadians coming back from the US are supposed to self-quarantine for 14 days, but I just heard earlier today from someone who knows better that it isn't being enforced.

I don't see Americans being able to claim refugee status at this time, but if the country falls into a civil war scenario, or even a degree of unrest where police cannot be expected to protect people being attacked for their political beliefs, we may get to a point where Americans could make legitimate refugee claims in Canada. If their claim is accepted that provides grounds for permanent residency and even citizenship. Perhaps it will be the best option for those fleeing some urban areas for life in a safer part of North America.

Since we have a program that allows individuals and groups to sponsor refugees, I think that plenty of Canadians with US relatives will be interested in doing so if the need arises, regardless of what the rest of the populace thinks about it.

Of course, being 2020 anything can happen. Canada could end up worst off than the US economically, and we have no idea which political party will be in power up here six months to a year of now. I also know of people here thinking of heading back to Europe should any unrest in the USA spill over to Canada.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canadian Prepster For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2020, 09:04 PM
Prepared

We know an American who came up about 4 years ago now and married a Canadian citizen.. Most wonderful couple.. They have been waiting on permanent resident status all this time as the government has not got around to processing the, by the rules, paperwork. Supposedly all the illegals that have crossed since before and after the last US election have jumped the line to be processed, so we hear..

Now with the virus this all has been set back again by less staff, and the process of reentry for citizens that were, are out of country..

But a step ahead, and two steps back seems the way government works..
The Following User Says Thank You to Wyobuckaroo48 For This Useful Post: