Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 03-02-2020, 11:46 PM
Hiker

Default Hidden Fire Arm Storage in a BOV

Advertise Here

Any ideas floating around out there for this. Concealed, but hidden even from to popo. Reasonably quick access??
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2020, 01:37 AM
IRON ON COURAGE

Thanked 4,382 Times in 2,313 Posts

Secret compartments are now illegal most states. The Mini Cooper had one from the factory and discontinued it in a later model year.

Whatever someone comes up with would likely be limited to a specific model year.

One thing to note are the DIN radio compartments in the center of the dash. If you have a base model vehicle it will have a coin tray or open cubby hole. You might find a DIN sized tray with door that will fit. Spray to match color.

Overhead consoles have compartments for sunglasses or garage door remotes. Some even have DIN sized openings for guages etc.

If your drivers door has a pocket, line the top of it with black brush heads so that an item can be dropped in and sink below the bristles. A casual person will see only black.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Central Scrutinizer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2020, 01:57 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,553 Times in 880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
Secret compartments are now illegal most states. The Mini Cooper had one from the factory and discontinued it in a later model year.
What states outlaw secret compartments? And how the hell do you word that law? I have a key hidden under my truck. Also have a rear seat cover for the back seat with a full width long arm pocket. Guess Iím a criminal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2020, 02:30 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,407 Times in 2,070 Posts

Spend a couple hours on youtube.Watch live PD,Cops,Border Patrol.They are good at finding stuff a lot smaller than firearms,especially if a K=9 is involved......but it also might give you some ideas
Old 03-03-2020, 03:44 AM
Wildlife Proctologist

Thanked 6,622 Times in 1,654 Posts

Why is it important to hide from LEOs? If you're bugging out then bury it within your stuff.

I rarely get pulled over but when I do I give them my license and carry permit. I either tell them where it is or that I don't have one with me and no reason to lie about it. They already know from my license plate that I have a permit anyway so why not make an effort to put them at ease in a potentially stressful situation. Plus Have always gotten a warning rather than a ticket when doing it.
The Following User Says Thank You to beaner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2020, 04:05 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,276 Times in 619 Posts

most center consoles have extra space under the console you may have to play with it for a few to get the tray out but it's there. Also most glove boxes will pull down low enough to drop the shelf out to access the under dash area. Myself I keep a locking flat pistol sized gun safe bolted to the floorboard behind the driver seat of every vehicle I own
Old 03-03-2020, 04:15 AM
Bad Moon Rising

Thanked 26,721 Times in 6,789 Posts

Try this link:

https://www.consolevault.com/

They offer beneath seat drawers and console safes that allow you to lock your handgun in your vehicle. It isn't strictly speaking "hidden", but candidly - other than a removable door panel, or slitting the seat back and sticking your piece into the foam somewhere, any location sufficiently "hidden" will likely be awkward to suddenly access.

Plus, locking up your firearm when you're not in your vehicle is (IMHO) a more responsible option than leaving your gun available to car prowlers, break-in thieves, and other threats.

Your mileage may vary.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grotius For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2020, 07:53 AM
Sam Adams was right....

Thanked 21,772 Times in 6,090 Posts

Jerry Young has a story with a truck named "Rufus"... its a great read....

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...ad.php?t=97887
The Following User Says Thank You to Steverino For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2020, 10:01 AM
Hiker

I know things will be found with a thorough search (or dogs). Looking for something that will conceal with a kinda once over thing and from anyone that doesn't belong. Square body Suburban is the host
Old 03-03-2020, 11:32 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,313 Times in 1,646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by country_boy View Post
What states outlaw secret compartments? And how the hell do you word that law? I have a key hidden under my truck. Also have a rear seat cover for the back seat with a full width long arm pocket. Guess Iím a criminal.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...-compartments/

Quote:
In the war on drugs, the daily grind of law enforcement is enough to make even Sisyphus feel fortunate; at least the guy knew what his boulder would look like each morning. Cops who work to intercept traffickers, however, see ever-evolving methods of deceit in the transport of contraband. Itís no wonder, then, that the Ohio State Highway Patrol (OSHP) backed legislation last year making it a felony in the state to build or use a secret compartment in a vehicle.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:38 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,897 Times in 1,292 Posts

UFB -- yet more government overreach.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,093 Times in 4,098 Posts

Most plastic dash panels near the steering wheel pull right off and snap back on.

Problem is X-Ray scanners. Couple years ago I drove through one of those Border Patrol Checkpoints 100's of miles from the border in Arizona. It had the exact same vehicle X-Ray scanners that we used on base.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 37,858 Times in 8,964 Posts

If you think you are going to conceal anything from law enforcement in secret compartments in your vehicle it is best to get those thoughts out of your head right now. It isn't going to happen. The best you can hope for is a cursory glance going through a checkpoint and that's it. If you get singled out they will find it.

Now, if you're trying to hide something from a meth-head, that is a different story.
The Following User Says Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2020, 10:18 PM
Museum Piece

If they are secret how is big brother gonna know about them.

When we bought our Suburban, the spare tire cover was gone. A roller box on rails is locked in its place. If you unlock it, and move it forward, the old tire compartment is still there. Someone put to plated steel boxes in there.
We keep our tools in the roller box. Those compartments have been empty since we got the darn thing. Now they are illegal.... Oh darn, better send the Burb back to AZ where it came from.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trip Wire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2020, 10:34 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 41,894 Times in 9,658 Posts

Everyone should post their secret compartments on an open source website. Duh!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2020, 10:48 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 21,869 Times in 5,610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmech View Post
Any ideas floating around out there for this. Concealed, but hidden even from to popo. Reasonably quick access??
I'd check your local laws, many states have outlawed this.
More importantly, I'd have my firearm on me... and if it's a long arm I'd have it legally stowed.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,407 Times in 2,070 Posts

My car is a rolling BOB.I have tools,food,water,clothes,cooler,lights,fire extinguisher,oh,and a first aid kit,an empty tampon box holds a .380 and 2 mags just fine,and doesn't look out of place in the bandage section.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cook For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2020, 01:27 PM
Museum Piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
Everyone should post their secret compartments on an open source website. Duh!
Who gives a rats fuzzy behind, I dont ever plan on using it. Heck by the time this is read, someone on Craigs list may have already bought it, and its their pain now.
Old 03-04-2020, 01:51 PM
The Lieutenant

Thanked 2,163 Times in 887 Posts

Depends on the vehicle. Too open ended a question.
My older truck based 2008 Ford Explorer has two large shallow spaces under the load floor from the facto. The floor panels have latch handles to lift up the front or rear section.
My 2019 Ford F-150 has a hard (tight) to reach seat back release on the 60% side for maintenance access. There are after market fittings to make that easier to release with a nylon pull tab. The 40% seat has a factory release for access to the jack storage.
I added a large form fitting plastic bin under the rear seat. Many are made with sectional dividers with rifle slots. A folding stock rifle will fit behind the 60% seat back.
Old 03-04-2020, 06:53 PM

I bolted and then welded a small ammo container to the frame under my van. I also added a lock. I keep a spare key, a couple pill bottles with some junk silver and about $100 in small bills. Also a privately purchased .38 revolver. If I am asked if I have a firearm in the van I can honestly say " No sir." I don't see any cop laying down and trying to squeeze under it.