Best survivalist books for living in the woods? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 03-26-2020, 01:16 PM

Default Best survivalist books for living in the woods?

Advertise Here

What are some of the best survivalist books for surviving in the woods. I am mainly looking for something that lets you know what wild stuff you can and cannot eat such as mushrooms, berries, nuts, etc

Along with this maybe another book for bushcrafting and just all around survival
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to decadude For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 01:39 PM

Check out your local library, looks for books on local foraging.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2020, 03:12 PM

I would recommend "Survive Safely Anywhere" by John "Lofty" Wiseman, illustrated and in color. Take a look at the files section also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2020, 05:01 PM
aka Mental Avenger

Thanked 6,196 Times in 2,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadude View Post
What are some of the best survivalist books for surviving in the woods. I am mainly looking for something that lets you know what wild stuff you can and cannot eat such as mushrooms, berries, nuts, etc

Along with this maybe another book for bushcrafting and just all around survival
There are many books and manuals out there. It would be difficult to say which is best on any subject. That is why I have 3.36GB of Survival Manuals on my Smart Phone and all my tablets, as well as on several flash drives. That is 810 files in 32 categories, and 224 photos. They are all in searchable PDF format. That gives me the option of looking through what virtually every expert has to say on any given subject. All that fits on a flashdrive that weighs only 5 grams.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:10 PM
"eleutheromaniac"

Thanked 6,991 Times in 2,020 Posts

Likely depends on where the "Woods" are located. North Slope of the Brooks Range, Alaska.......or......."Woods" south of there.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:17 PM

SAS Pocket Survival Manual

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014388885?pid=248824

Don`t blow your budget on buying too many books. As a previous poster mentioned there are a tonne of good resources on this site among others all for free.

Over the years I've collected hundreds of resources from the net. I store them on 1 external hard drive and have they safely stored in a homemade faraday cage.

Godspeed
Old 03-27-2020, 05:25 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 9,639 Times in 2,453 Posts

RAGNAR BENSON's
SURVIVAL POACHING.

Any REAL SAS survival manual
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 05:38 PM
Adventurer

Thanked 1,456 Times in 444 Posts

I own and have put into practice all the TOM BROWN survival books. I own just about every book ever written on the topic at this point and his are the most bare bones and realistic.

They used to sell them at Barnes and noble but I am not sure anymore, Mine are from the 90's.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,401 Posts

search this author.. Samuel Thayer. He wrote three books but the only one I can think of is Foragers Harvest. His books go into great detail. Also any book about the native's that had lived in your area.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:13 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 80,028 Times in 23,317 Posts

Bradford Angier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradford_Angier
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 08:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,797 Times in 3,437 Posts

Cody Lundin's books are good and Les Strouds are too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Exarmyguy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 02:04 AM
You were the Executioner.

Thanked 3,157 Times in 896 Posts

Which woods? North or south? East or west? Hot or cold? What kind of venomous snakes? Wildlife big enough to eat you? Snow? 9 month heat? Hurricanes? Floods?

????
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazarine33 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 04:24 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,868 Times in 3,205 Posts

Mors Kochanski covers the boreal forest and arctic environments extremely well. RIP
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Good beer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 06:21 PM

I mean no disrespect, but you said "surviving" and then mushrooms, berries and nuts.

For context, do mean wilderness survival or wilderness living?

Wilderness survival, I would agree with Lundin's 98.6 degrees as it is just as important to understand the psychology and physiology of a survival situation as well as how do address the environment which he also does in through a survival kit.

Wilderness living, as you want to be there and as said previously, you can't go wrong with Kochanski's book which has almost equal application in a temperate forest - practical application from someone who did it. And then there are a ton of books from Horace Kephart, Ernest Thompson Seton, Ellsworth Jaeger, and more with practical skills for wilderness living that apply today, again, from men who did it. In fact, I would say most writers today got their information form the fore mentioned and others who captured skills from the time the frontier was closing -- why not go to the source, and most are free through Project Gutenberg.

In wilderness survival, food is likely not going to be a concern and most certainly not your first concern. In wilderness living, plants are what the real food eats, far more important to know how to harvest wild game and what they eat. It's all a math problem based on calories. I would put time in learning plants for fire, medicine, traps, etc. well above knowing edibles in my opinion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abo4ster For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exarmyguy View Post
Cody Lundin's books are good and Les Strouds are too.
Les' book "checked all the boxes" too, was just laid out in an order that made for a nice read versus a practical manual as I remember it. I read it when it came out, so was a while ago.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:19 PM
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 11,326 Times in 4,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadude View Post

There is no "one book" for this. There's NO ONE BOOK that "checks all the boxes" to the extent you need it to, in order to learn to survive. You also MUST get out in the field, and put this knowledge to use. There's NOTHING like hands on experience!

Larry dean Olson's "Outdoor Survival Skills" is a good place to start.
David Bradford Angier's "Wild Edible Plants", has pretty good illustrations. If used along with the Audubon Field guide to North American plants/wildflowers, and North American Trees and shrubs, this'll also give you a very good start. Find some rural older folk that might be willing to part with some of their knowledge.

Nowadays, you even have YouTube. "TrapperJack", video's on YouTube have excellent instructions, as well as some other YouTubers. "Eat the Weeds", is another good video source. Les Stroud, is one of my favorites.

I would NOT eat any mushroom, without an EXPERIENCED GUIDE.

I was very fortunate, that both my Granny's, and my dad, gave me an excellent start, and knowledge NO book can teach you. The above mentioned ways, is where I got a start on my "field knowledge". Since then, I've found my own, better ways of doing things over the years, but all the above, is where I started, at a very, young age.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:24 PM
"eleutheromaniac"

Thanked 6,991 Times in 2,020 Posts

Or you could simply move to the deep wilderness and figure it out. What I did just over fifty years ago. It has been an incredible adventure.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:37 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 80,028 Times in 23,317 Posts

Not in book form, but David Canterbury has a ton of survival and wilderness videos on Youtube, free for the watching.

And anything Matt graham has done would be worth a look.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 11:30 PM
Squared away like a donut

Thanked 1,152 Times in 325 Posts

As far as foraging goes, just google wild edible plants for your local area. I did that years ago, printed out the material with photos of the plants and keep it in my hunting pack. Have never “needed” it, but when the hunting for meat isn’t going well or I get bored of sitting in a tree, I sometimes go hunting for the plants instead. After a while, you will begin to notice more and more of them around you. They were always there, I just didn’t recognize them as food until I read up on it and actually went looking for them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ole Grunt For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2020, 11:06 PM

For a multitude of reason I will say the Foxfire series is by far the best series you can get. The problem with the series is that you have to be an independent, critical thinker. They won't tell you exactly how they do everything. You have to take what they say and their diagrams and just make it work.

The books are a collection of essays and stories from the southern Appalachians. Don't worry where you are located compared to them. It's all good information. They're in the deep south east. I am in the far north west. I can't utilize all the info because my area is so much different than theirs. Most of the people interviewed for the books, especially the first few, where born in the late 1800s. They know how to survive on literally nothing.

For modern survivalist types, I believe this series is the best you can get because it highlights how survival should be done. They're not fighting the government with they're tacti-cool ARs and window breaking ink pen stick things. They're not trying to be all crazy buying up all the most garbage military gear they can find that doesn't really work because the contract was given to the lowest bidder.

They don't go on glorified camping trips with their idiotic local Lightfoot militia band if incapable dimwits. They don't need to bug out with all this crap they're collecting. They already bugged out... The day they were born. Some of them are now dead and they died bugged out.

They're just living life in the deep South. And it's a great read. 12 books in all. $200 for the set is what I bought it for.