Mom said "I'll just come to your house" - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 11-08-2019, 09:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 21,817 Times in 5,688 Posts

Advertise Here

Sign her up on Tinder. It sounds like she needs someone in her life to look after her.

My mom would be horrible to live with. The older I got the more I realized why my dad worked outside all the time even when he didn't have anything to do.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 09:56 AM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,962 Times in 384 Posts

My sister is one of these. She stated she and her husband would just show up at my house. I politely told her they would most certainly not unless they came with a list of things I created in an excel spreadsheet. Her excuse was that she can't afford all that. To which I replied that she could but one pound of beans or rice for less than a dollar each time she went to the store. She then tried the excuse that she has no place to store it. I replied to that by showing her an empty tote in my storage area where she would be welcome to store her share of preps. That tote has not seen a single item. Some people just cannot be taught.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MissFilthyPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 09:57 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,300 Times in 2,551 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
It's your mother dude.

She fed you many times.

That said: I have several cases of mountain house #10 cans under the stairs at my mothers house.
100% agreed. Our mothers brought us into this world and fed/housed/protected us for many many years. If she won't get on board herself, you get her on board. Buy a plastic bin and fill it with a couple of flashlights, candles, lighters, batteries, food, and VERY basic cheap type things that she could need for a "simple" emergency. Also definitely a case of water as well. Store this someplace at her house and tell her. That way she is covered to some degree for YOUR peace of mind. Also, buy some extra food/water for her coming to your house as well, and remember, she will be bringing what you brought her as well. win win.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FalconsBravesHawks For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 10:01 AM
Survivor

Thanked 14,287 Times in 3,835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjlarson View Post
Call it cold, but your immediate household should always be your main concern. If your mother won't contribute, she is directly taking the food out of her grandchildren's mouths. Does she have any skills that would be valuable in post disaster world? In my rural area, a lot of of farm/ranch wives still know the ways of the old days. Years of patching up husbands, kids, farm/ranch hands. Some of the finest stitches I've ever seen, came from a farm wife's hands. Canning, medicinal wild plants, all that kinda old information. In a disaster tough decisions will have to be made, the old sadly, especially with no discernible skills, or preps, with medical issues won't be long for the mortal world. Young, able bodied, prepared, skilled, and intelligent will be the hot commodity.
I think my immediate household includes my mother, even though she doesn’t live in my house. Unless someone has had a falling out with a toxic mother I think most people feel the same.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Revmgt For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 10:10 AM
Dios y Tejas

Thanked 17,784 Times in 4,742 Posts

She may see the light if you help her.
My oldest son was always uber-conservative, But kinda so-so on prepping. I once asked him years ago, if society collapsed how would he fair if he could not get to my house. His answer was He guessed he would die. I responded, "spoken like a man with no children".

Fast forward 5 years, now with a wife and a son expected March 2020. You know what he asked for as a Christmas present? .... A food saver vacuum. Then he was here recently showing me his new AR-based recoilless 12 gauge with a 20 shell drum! I didn't even know they made these things!

He further asks about construction up at our 66 acre "retreat" in East Texas. I told him I was going as fast as I could with my extra monthly money. He response "well let me know what you need for each phase and I will split it with you".

Then he asks if we going to put in some kind of root cellar up there to keep the emergency freeze dried food at a low temperature to extend shelf life .... I nearly keeled over! He had obviously been reading up on his own. I said yes we were going to bury a large plastic tank to store the food. (Similar to a large reinforced septic tank with no internal walls)

Never give up on talking sense to people. You never know when they will do a 180 on their stance!
Old 11-08-2019, 10:40 AM
The Hawks Nest

Thanked 22,690 Times in 8,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjlarson View Post
Call it cold, but your immediate household should always be your main concern. If your mother won't contribute, she is directly taking the food out of her grandchildren's mouths. Does she have any skills that would be valuable in post disaster world? In my rural area, a lot of of farm/ranch wives still know the ways of the old days. Years of patching up husbands, kids, farm/ranch hands. Some of the finest stitches I've ever seen, came from a farm wife's hands. Canning, medicinal wild plants, all that kinda old information. In a disaster tough decisions will have to be made, the old sadly, especially with no discernible skills, or preps, with medical issues won't be long for the mortal world. Young, able bodied, prepared, skilled, and intelligent will be the hot commodity.
I hope you reimbursed your mom for all the money she spent on you as you grew up.

"A terrorist is only as strong as the fear he creates."

"Things you own end up owning you"
- Tyler Durban
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to hawk55732 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 10:53 AM
Prepared

It seems that many people have missed that it is not about taking care of your mother if something happens. It is a matter of her not being able to get to you or vise versa. You can have all the food to take care of her for a decade, but if you and her are not able to get together, she will suffer. I would make sure she has a way to cook and some water. A tote with food that you store in her basement or garage could help her out, if she stays out of it until using it is essential.
The Following User Says Thank You to prairiegirl1925 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 11:05 AM
BASS

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreppingGal View Post
You also need to make it clear that if she makes it to your place, she is not to bring half her neighborhood with her, or tell everybody that she's going to your place because you have lots of food.
. Your mom may very well "bring friends. Oh my son has a lot of food. Come with me and he will feed you and your family". It happens and people NEVER KEEP QUIET!

One person with a site on the net asked a person who told him, "We are coming to your house if SHTF". The man on his site man asked him, "Have you ever seen what a load of 00 Buckshot does to a body"? He turned and walked away without further comment... The End of the Conversation.......

My loose group has the ability to defend each other. That is six people within a block or less of each other, not counting my wife and me.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:10 AM
Shotgunner

My mom would never say that. She would tell me to go there.

Im in the city, shes in the country. Shes a far better farmer than I. She cans etc etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to NYsurvivalist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 11:23 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 67,105 Times in 20,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
I hope you reimbursed your mom for all the money she spent on you as you grew up.
There was a song I heard on the radio as a kid called "No Charge".

Very touching song. I forget who sung it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 11:33 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,326 Times in 8,926 Posts

How much extra effort/expense to cover for mom does it take. Not much in my humble opinion. +1 for tell her she needs to come alone. I like the idea of storing some stuff with her - you just never know where the good BOL is until you need it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 11:54 AM

One Second After is an audio book also. My husband started listening to audio books every night before he goes to sleep. He teased me for years about prepping and telling him we needed to be ready if things ever went bad. Then he listened to One Second After. The morning after he finished it he told me that it scared the heck out of him and he realized I was right. He’s been on board with it ever since. As to your mom, maybe you could shop with her for supplies and tell her you will keep them at your house in case she ever needs them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ready?mom For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 12:03 PM
The Hawks Nest

Thanked 22,690 Times in 8,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
There was a song I heard on the radio as a kid called "No Charge".

Very touching song. I forget who sung it.
This one?

"A terrorist is only as strong as the fear he creates."

"Things you own end up owning you"
- Tyler Durban
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawk55732 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 12:07 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,909 Times in 560 Posts

I prep for my mother she drinks coffee and I don't, so I put up a years worth of freeze dried instant coffee for her, I don't care for the taste of coffee, but I do love the smell of it early in the morning it brings back memory's of a better time in this country, I also put her into my plans while prepping, she was not on board with prepping for years and kept saying the "Lord will take care of me" that was until Obama got into office and I'm not quite sure what about him made her see the light, but now she keeps extra everything on hand, like her parents used to when she was growing up, she tells how there was always something put back for the hard times when she was growing up and people just got away from doing it with the convenience of grocery stores
Some times it takes time to get love ones to see the light or a few days without the modern conveniences
The Following User Says Thank You to ncwebnut For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 12:08 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 67,105 Times in 20,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Thank you, that's the one.

I think I got some dust in my eye.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 12:15 PM
For Conversation's Sake.

Thanked 17,170 Times in 5,286 Posts

I like the idea of making a few totes for her. I would avoid the doomsday TEOTWAWKI stuff and tell it is for more realistic and local reasons that she can relate to.

I go through this every year with my own Mother during hurricane season. She still waits until the last minute and heads out to Wal Mart during the madness. We even went through a major hurricane together and she still doesn’t care. I think she, and many others, think that preparing for an event will make it happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to SeaBeeDaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 12:20 PM
Hiker

The thing about prepping is the MASSIVE investment required. It is beyond most average families. If one is really going to prepare for a SHTF scenario, it will require tens of thousands of dollars or more. Add to this, the fact that anything perishable must be purchased again and again as the years pass. The perishables MUST be a part of the daily routine, so they are consumed and replaced over a period of time. Certain things like water, and most food and health products have a relatively short shelf life.

When I was younger, I began to stock up on things on a huge scale, and though I don't have everything, or even small bits of everything, some people might be impressed with what I have gathered. Other people would probably tell me that I did not plan properly, and I have wasted what money I had.

Still, I am thinking lately, I should just sell off all of this stuff and wait for The Walking Dead to become a reality.

I have always believed in quality of life over quantity of life, and a SHTF world certainly has NO quality. You can't get medications. Food becomes something you can be killed for. Fuel for vehicles will be a challenge. Security? You need to sleep. Now you have to arrange for a small militia of neighbors and friends and family to gather at the "compound" so people can sleep in shifts.

You CANNOT BE a compassionate man in a world where people are BEGGING for morsels of food or a sip of water, while you know you have a stash that will carry you through the next (n) years after they die of starvation. You might walk past them knowing that YOU have food to eat, but how will you feel about yourself as a human being, and as (perhaps) a "Christian"? So no amount of prepping will really last for me, because I simply will not turn my back on people in need.

Now that does NOT mean I will accommodate thugs and looters. I would have no problem ending their misery while sipping a Slurpee. Compassion is given, not taken. In a SHTF world, shooting those who believe they can strong arm you into giving up your supplies will be terminated without delay or remorse.

There is a romantic attraction to a world where there is no such thing as the IRS, traffic cops, cash registers, and ten thousand other things we rely upon on a daily basis. This is part of the attraction to the TV series The Walking Dead. but the truth is that such a world would not really be worth fighting to survive. If humanity f*cks up the world that badly, I believe I will just say a quiet prayer and ask the Lord to accept my wretched soul into Heaven, and wait quietly for the inevitable.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:17 PM
You were the Executioner.

Thanked 1,125 Times in 333 Posts

To the OP, I was ok with your post until I read the last sentence. 'Takes away from your children and wife'.

Are you that financially bereft? In other words, are you that broke? If so, I advise revising any and all discretionary spending to oh maybe pare it down a bit so you can then spend the resulting money on more beans and rice to feed your mum. Then you buy the extra beans and rice and store them in your home. If she never needs them, great, more for your children and wife and you. If she does need them, she won't go hungry for want of a few bags of rice and beans.

If you are not financially bereft, I have to ask what the hell is wrong with you. She is your mother. Period. Unless she is an axe murderer or poisoner, you do not abandon her in her time of need. As a man you include her in the same category that your wife and children are in. Is she Native American and will choose to go off and die on an ice raft? I doubt it, so act like a man and plan to care for her even if you don't like the idea. Men do that, do things they don't like the idea of. They do those kinds of things anyway when they are necessary. They don't leave their helpless relatives to die while they just go on la te da with living their lives, trying not to think about what their actions have led to. Man the hell up.

If she does not like or appreciate the food and that she has not been abandoned by her son and chooses to go elsewhere, then you have done your duty and can't be faulted. But if you exclude, abandon, and let go hungry your own mother, you're a very pitiful character indeed.

There is a special place in God's presence for those who abandon loved ones in their time of need. If I ever abandoned a helpless person, man woman or especially an innocent child, I wouldn't want to stand in front of God trying to explain myself when I die. God isn't real big on excuses.

Rant off, over and out.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mazarine33 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 01:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 45,015 Times in 13,174 Posts

For one additional person I don't think the investment is massive at all.

If you prep staples, you can feed a person for under a dollar a day. Won't cost any extra to heat or defend the place. Water is cheap and renewable.

Is your momma's survival worth $400? Assuming you can afford it, why not?

Just make clear to dear old mom that she can't bring a boyfriend or bridge-club buddies too.
The Following User Says Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 01:35 PM
Don't get me started

Thanked 30,509 Times in 10,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
... I believe I will just say a quiet prayer and ask the Lord to accept my wretched soul into Heaven, and wait quietly for the inevitable.
Unless you suicide the inevitable is you will keep living until something or someone terminates your life. There is no opt out.